Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
My problem with new football manager saves is I have no clue about football, so no clue who's currently playing and can't sign them. So I have to start small, and that's its own game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The important thing is to sign Vincente as a scout

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Azhais posted:

The important thing is to sign Vincente as a scout

He's useless though?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mrenda posted:

He's useless though?

He's a great scout in every save I've started this year and last, and is willing to work for minimum wage.

Most of my good signings are random players that pop up in the scout recommendations, either from club knowledge or agents offering them. Maybe 20% players I know, 20% manually clicking around (a big team in your division just got relegated? get some reports in and start tapping up), 60% the game saying 'Hey sign this player A+'. They're usually wrong but you only need a couple to be right every six months.

I bring in as many bad scouts as I can (low attributes) with knowledge of cheap markets (Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, South America) with one scout you can trust to give an opinion. Searching for Unhappy players can reveal some quality ones you wouldn't normally be able to attract, at discount prices.

One thing I only just found is a 'make recommendation' button on the Director of Football's screen. Thrown up some names I don't remember seeing elsewhere, at least.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My 20 year old star striker turned down 15 clubs that met his release clause and we're now well into February and I think maybe the transfer window is closed in every nation he feels is worthy of him. I'd be thrilled except I already bought his replacement.

Maybe I'll retrain him into a wide target forward. His worst physical attribute is 14 (jumping reach 17), but he's not a great dribbler (11) or even finisher (13), and is very one-footed.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Well I just saw something for the first time: a keeper CATCHING a penalty kick. :catstare:

And it wasn't just a tame shot up the middle, he just guessed right and went yoink.

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 10, 2021

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Been offered the Parma job. 4 points from safety in Serie A with 9 games to go. Sounds less stressful than trying to finish top 3 in Sweden again. I'm terrible at meeting high expectations, but tell me to avoid relegation and I can go and win titles.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Ahahahaha the social feed just referenced my backup keeper as "100M rated Brad Collett".

Like sure guys, hell I'll take 30M because I'm such a nice guy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Meanwhile I just started up in Türkgücü München and am trying to sell a few guys for $0 to free up some wage space since they're paying a 35 year old CB 17500/w in 3.liga

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Azhais posted:

Meanwhile I just started up in Türkgücü München and am trying to sell a few guys for $0 to free up some wage space since they're paying a 35 year old CB 17500/w in 3.liga

Just ICYMI: I'm playing Newmarket Town, clawed my way up to just below the Bananarama tiers. :v:

Well, WC 2034 qualifying just got interesting. There's a janky playoff where Suriname(!) is playing Jordan (!!) for the right to play Tunisia for one spot, the other semi is New Caledonia (oh come on you're just trolling me now) playing Bolivia to face India for the other. :wtc:

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 10, 2021

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Ramsey has decided to retire a full year before his contract expires. What a good lad, saving the club so much money.

He actually played well in the preseason cup games, until doing his ankle ligaments in the semi final. Hopefully he'll be fit for the final so he can miss a penalty or something.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

He's a great scout in every save I've started this year and last, and is willing to work for minimum wage.

It's not just him though, it's almost all of my scouts (if not all...) There's probably some calculation going on regards my team rep, my seemingly available wage and transfer budget, etc. But I'm trying to build for three years time, and they guys I'm getting recommended aren't near good enough for that. And four of five scouts have Judging PA above 15/16. If I spotted two Romanian kids with properly high PA per year I could turn that into something, at the very least more cash in two years time because I do have a decent coaching setup, but they're just not finding those players. I have to do a lot of manual digging, when really the scouts should be doing this on their own (adaptability/determination is all high.)

The other problem (and I've seen people say this) is that scouts with knowledge of certain regions, most regions, just aren't being generated, even though I have leagues in those regions loaded. One person said you need to sign some 33 year old player who has a long term plan of being a scout, and then negotiate or renegotiate to get him as a part-time scout where they automatically have the appropriate knowledge.

I definitely noticed a difference in people coming to you as your rep goes up. In Wales I might as well have wandered the local Tesco for players, now I and my team have better facilities, rep, etc. I'm getting decent guys approach me (even if their demands are a bit much.) The non-scouting finding-players options seem to be on a curve, useless at low level, decent at mid-level, and (I'm guessing) useless again when you're at the very top.

Another thing I noticed, that seems a little cheaty to me, is I've signed a couple of quite high (for me) PA players. 4 1/2 star potential, fully scouted/in my team. They know this too. To get them to sign a contract, even though their ability isn't fully rounded out to actually play, I had to offer them "Regular Starter." However, because I'm in the EU I can sign them and have them with me at 16 years old. That means they enter my youth team, automatically get put on a youth contract until they're 17, get listed as future/breakthrough prospect, and so far haven't whinged about playing time when they've turned 17 and gone fully "pro." It could come back to bite me in six months but so far it's a nice way to get young players to sign knowing you'll have time to bring them up to speed.

sassassin posted:

I'm terrible at meeting high expectations, but tell me to avoid relegation and I can go and win titles.

I also absolutely vibe with this. Whatever could be happening in the bits and bytes, unless you have huge quality and depth, an expectation to top the league means games become a lot tighter against everyone. I ran away with the league last year with worse players and less depth, this year it's a battle (although I haven't played in a week as I've been busy irl.)

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Moktaro posted:

Just ICYMI: I'm playing Newmarket Town, clawed my way up to just below the Bananarama tiers. :v:

Well, WC 2034 qualifying just got interesting. There's a janky playoff where Suriname(!) is playing Jordan (!!) for the right to play Tunisia for one spot, the other semi is New Caledonia (oh come on you're just trolling me now) playing Bolivia to face India for the other. :wtc:

Is this some 64-country format?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Can you change your manager profile (the default one you get on the start screen)? The edit button lets you change the appearance but I want to change the favoured club and just seem to be unable to find it anywhere.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You would need the ingame editor. With it you can click the editor button from your manager profile screen -> Edit Personal and there are tabs there for favorite/disliked clubs and people.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
You can edit that before that start of the game but it might be easy to miss?

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Shazback posted:

Is this some 64-country format?

2030 was 16 groups of 3, this one hasn't been scheduled yet but should be the same right?

The winners were Tunisia and India BTW.

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 13, 2021

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Since going to a high press my low aggression centre back is costing me big time. Keeps getting out-muscled and beaten to long clearances by smaller, weaker, even slower strikers.

I could get away with cultured, ball-playing defenders when I sat off in a shape, but now I'm a big side I need a pair of straightforward brutes to kick people. Unfortunately my 19 Jumping Reach lump I sent out on loan for the first half of the season has even lower aggression and bravery.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Nabbed this sicko after he fell out with his club for turning down Leeds' offer. Doubled my club record spend, didn't have him fully scouted (those physicals were no guarantee). Composure's not important for a striker, right?

Stunned none of the other clubs interested matched my bid. Little man's going to tear Sweden to shreds. And no release clause.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

sassassin posted:

One thing I only just found is a 'make recommendation' button on the Director of Football's screen. Thrown up some names I don't remember seeing elsewhere, at least.

randomly got a south african lad for free from this, then next year he won nxgn and i sold him for 20 million euros (release clause)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
After I got to the CL group stage I invested in all the youth setup stuff (coaching, recruitment, facilities). My reward is this fearless bastard.

I'm about to win the Swedish title for the second time, and he's already my second best centre half.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

More Newmarket things: Just advanced to the 5th round of the FA Trophy. Was at home vs Halifax, they got a red card in the 4th minute and we bossed the match but couldn't find a goal, then had to go 8 rounds in penalties.

So our next draw is...Wrexham. :argh:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

My Angolan striker is doing pretty well, in terms of his development.
The biggest problem is that he's got a maximum of 2 years left with us and correctly identifies that the squad isn't strong enough to match his ambitions.
His MFRC is £40.5m, but I'd probably accept anything more than £25m if I could slap a hefty %ONS clause onto the bid.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't know Eusebio had a son

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So I've been playing this for a few years now (since FM19) and I feel it is time I finally figure out what's up with registration. What actually happens if you can't meet registration requirements? I've always been careful to keep everything green, but if you're registering for, say, the champions league and don't have any HGC players, is there any actual penalty other than having 3 fewer people registered?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That's correct, if you don't have enough HGC or HGN players to meet the requirements you have to leave spots empty, e.g. if you have only 1 HGC player instead of the required 4 then you're only allowed to register 22 players instead of 25. In most leagues you don't have to register anyone under a certain age so you can use youth players when inevitably every centreback on your senior squad gets injured at the same time.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's correct, if you don't have enough HGC or HGN players to meet the requirements you have to leave spots empty, e.g. if you have only 1 HGC player instead of the required 4 then you're only allowed to register 22 players instead of 25. In most leagues you don't have to register anyone under a certain age so you can use youth players when inevitably every centreback on your senior squad gets injured at the same time.

Which makes things like the BL2 registration a little weird, since you're registering 99 players, 4 of which need to be homegrown, and no actual gameday requirements. aka who cares if you have homegrown players

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Azhais posted:

Which makes things like the BL2 registration a little weird, since you're registering 99 players, 4 of which need to be homegrown, and no actual gameday requirements. aka who cares if you have homegrown players

Some of the league rules are broken and/or wrong. Like in Norway where the registration window opens on the date it's supposed to close so you can drop players in and out at will all season.

In some lower tiers homegrown isn't a thing but you still need to keep an eye on it for when/if you get promoted to a league or competition where it is.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Reached the 4 year mark in my Sweden save. Board expectations are now too high, and I got a horrible draw in my first CL qualifier round (FC Kobenhavn, along with Zenit by far the strongest team I could have faced). My wonderkids aren't good enough to win the league yet, if they'll ever be, and I'm very lucky to be 3rd after 13 games.

Spending £2m on a goalkeeper, and another £2m to loan a player I sold for £1.4m for six months. Getting a bit desperate.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I got these emails because I'm randomly managing Scotland on an ultra long term save (currently in 2049)

Dec 12: Ruairidh Skinner has announced his intention to retire. He will retire on 6/29/2050.

Dec 24: Ruairidh Skinner has come to a final decision and, despite his earlier announcement, he still feels he has something to offer the club and will see out his contract. His contract ends on 6/30/2050.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The game is coded to try to steer you into the job at Athletic Club, right?

It's always seemed like I'm always offered interviews at Athletic even when I don't speak Spanish and don't have the rep for clubs that play in Europe. So when the latest interview invite came up in 2052 in my long term tinkering around save, instead of blowing it off completely I took the interview and asked for a much bigger transfer budget, much bigger wage budget, fire the DoF, and lots of money to use to fire everyone else. As I'm wont to do when teams I'm not actually interested in ring me up, I don't think I've ever seen a team agree to an ask for more transfer/wage money, they always hire someone else, even if I have like 9500 rep and it's a lower tier side.

But Athletic in 2052 came back and said "yeah sure, you can have all the money in the world." It's LOL PSG money: $360M transfer budget, $6.5M/wk wage budget, and enough comp money to fire the entire staff twice over. Like where the gently caress are you even getting that money? It's not like they're Tycooned up or anything. Granting I couldn't possibly spend that much even if I wanted to, so it's basically "your budget is unlimited but you can only spend it on Basque players", I guess? Athletic is weird in FM.

They still balked at my asking for $24.5K/wk instead of $23/5K/wk and walked away though. Managerial contract negotiations are such a pointless waste of time in this game. :shrug:

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

the one time i took the athletic club job i had the most ridiculous crop of wonderkids come through the academy. like 7 of spain’s starting xi were my players 5 of which came through the youth system in the same year

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My lads gave me a nice Xmas present. 7-2 aggregate win over Zenit in the CL playoff, then drawn in a group with Lazio, Porto and Genk. I fully believe we can finish better than 4th.

We've been in terrific form since being embarrassed in the cup final at the end of May. Mayco Minetti's been converted to a winger/wide striker, gained some pace and improved his finishing and the journalists are constantly astonished by how he's outperforming his xG.

£12m banked for group stage qualification so I've asked for a new stadium. If it's not named after me I'm walking.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmV6Cz2teSo

A 16-year old's first assist is overshadowed by my Angolan striker being stupidly good

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

kingturnip posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmV6Cz2teSo

A 16-year old's first assist is overshadowed by my Angolan striker being stupidly good

He's lucky the right back played him on. Went too early otherwise. Couldn't have known.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Is there a facepack anywhere that's like just the top leagues or just certain countries? I'm kind of tired of the gigantic memory footprint of the bog standard facepacks when I will never ever actually look at 99.99% of the people in them, yet culling them down to just the players in the league/country I'm playing in would be a hideous amount of work.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Either play in the Championship where most players have images, or make your own pack for your team as it develops. Saving a player image from sortitoutsi is an important step in my scouting process.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Now in the 2034-35 season with Newmarket Town, and we're on a cup tear. Made it to the first round of the FA Cup and beat United!

That's right, FC United of Manchester. :v:

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009

sassassin posted:

Saving a player image from sortitoutsi is an important step in my scouting process.

You aren't screencapping action shots from shaky youtube tekkers reels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

The dream is over, we drew away to MK Dons and got pasted 5-1, with two red cards to boot.

Gonna cry all the way to the bank with our 93k share of the gate.