Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The new system is that 100% of the time you will drop a single zip file into a "mods" folder and can toggle it on or off in game. That's an improvement in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

aye, just reaching the elder scrolls level of mod application is pretty big

the work of reconciling overlap will stay the same, but having more than one mod in play without relying on the mercy of modder monks in their scribal chambers illuminating bespoke mergejobs will probably give much more room to small, special-focus mods that get combined at will instead of what we have now: the incentive of putting all changes into one massive overhaul that you plonk to exclusion of any other plonks, small advances having to propagate through other modders borrowing the great idea into their own chonkmods

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I haven't seriously played Dwarf Fortress in... 8 years? I played it a little a few years ago but there was a bug that made me stop. I feel like getting back into it. What's the best way to play nowadays wrt tools and tilesets? I used to play without a tileset but I don't think I want to do that again. Is Dwarf Therapist still the best tool to get?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

a7m2 posted:

I haven't seriously played Dwarf Fortress in... 8 years? I played it a little a few years ago but there was a bug that made me stop. I feel like getting back into it. What's the best way to play nowadays wrt tools and tilesets? I used to play without a tileset but I don't think I want to do that again. Is Dwarf Therapist still the best tool to get?

PyLNP is a great tool for easily switching between tilesets and other setting, and you can get a bundle with a bunch of popular tilesets and tools (including Dwarf Therapist)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140808.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

Pakled fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 1, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I haven't played in a few years I got a hankering:

First year

A kiss of death if you will

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

a fair omen

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Is it still a think where if a dwarf walks over a floor grate with 7/7 water underneath their contaminates get washed into the water? Trying to think of hospital cleanliness to deal with dusts/poisons/ichors/blood etc

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Make a waterfall entrance.

gently caress your FPS

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

M_Gargantua posted:

Is it still a think where if a dwarf walks over a floor grate with 7/7 water underneath their contaminates get washed into the water? Trying to think of hospital cleanliness to deal with dusts/poisons/ichors/blood etc

I usually just make dwarven bathtubs. Sub-swimming level water troughs around the fortress that dwarves have to walk through to get places. I'm pretty sure that works. Water is like a one-way gate for contaminants, right? Like it washes them off without putting any one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What I did in the fort I plan to recreate in the graphics version was organize the whole fort around a giant double helix spiral staircase then drop a single tile waterfall down the center of it. Bedrooms one level, workshops another floor, etc. Everyone got a shower a few times a day automatically.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
New Legends Mode.

All those colored words? Links to their pages. You can have tabs!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Zesty posted:

All those colored words? Links to their pages. You can have tabs!

So I can wikiwalk legends mode now.

How many DF tabs can I fit in 64GB of ram? more or less than chrome?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Need help figuring out some Hammerer behavior. My fort has lots of necromancers and lots of undead visitors, and many are spies. I interrogate these undead spies, they get sentenced to 50 hammer strikes, and they generally survive it. The Hammerer then gets an "Unchain Prisoner" task, but he just stuffs the offender into a cage and stores them in the animal stockpile. What's going on with that? My prison setup is nice little bedrooms with chains so the cage things is out of left field.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

So I can wikiwalk legends mode now.

How many DF tabs can I fit in 64GB of ram? more or less than chrome?

Isn't DF still 32 bit?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

official x64 executables have been a thing for years

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

scamtank posted:

official x64 executables have been a thing for years

Shows how often I play DF!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the game also has some limited parallelization now, IIRC -- audio is on its own thread and i think there may have been some very limited pathfinding optimization handled that way, as well, with help from an outside contributor?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
glad to hear the endless moody acoustic guitar solo gets its own thread, as it drat well should.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the game also has some limited parallelization now, IIRC -- audio is on its own thread and i think there may have been some very limited pathfinding optimization handled that way, as well, with help from an outside contributor?

graphics rendering code is now split off from the core engine too iirc

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Tunicate posted:

graphics rendering code is now split off from the core engine too iirc

12.5 (1 used): graphics
12.5 (1 used): UI
12.5 (12.5 used): pathfinding

someone who is good at cpu please help me budget this. my dwarves are dying

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's much harder to split out pathfinding dude.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kyte posted:

It's much harder to split out pathfinding dude.

it's a joke

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Jazerus posted:

it's a joke

pathfinding is not a joke :colbert:

Orv
May 4, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

pathfinding is not a joke :colbert:

It is in dwarf fortress! :yayclod: (It’s mostly fine but occasionally not.)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Eric the Mauve posted:

glad to hear the endless moody acoustic guitar solo gets its own thread, as it drat well should.

I hope we get more of that kind of music with the steam release.

Failing that, I'll just mod in some of Francisco Tárrega's work.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Started a new game for the first time in ages, apparently my fortress liaison is…a goblin?

Trying to understand if he’s just a naturalized citizen of a dwarf civilization or if my fortress counts as a part of a nearby goblin civ for some reason.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Eric the Mauve posted:

i think with a guitar they're actually called strings

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The new map embark tiles are pretty sweet looking, I always thought DF looked it's best on the embark map screen. Still looking nice with the new tiles.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Comrade Koba posted:

Started a new game for the first time in ages, apparently my fortress liaison is…a goblin?

Trying to understand if he’s just a naturalized citizen of a dwarf civilization or if my fortress counts as a part of a nearby goblin civ for some reason.

Your civ got conquered by the gobbos at some point in history. It's pretty common especially if you simulated a longer history before starting your fort, goblins swiftly conquering the world is commonplace.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

From today's update on Steam.

quote:

In our next update, we will be sharing a roadmap of what is left to do and approximate time it will take to finish. These aren't going to be firm, but we want to be as transparent as we can about development.

Hopefully not too long if they're starting to discuss (even vague) roadmaps.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You sweet summer child.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Cool map though.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Anno posted:

From today's update on Steam.

Hopefully not too long if they're starting to discuss (even vague) roadmaps.

Thought I was in the Star Citizen thread for a minute and had to do a hot double-take

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean DF has been semi -playable for ages. Star Citizen will maybe reach that level in a couple decades.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Isn't the steam version only a graphics/UI update?
I don't think it's advertised as a better mechanical version.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
a fair portion of the mechanics are so thoroughly opaque because of the unbelievably terrible vanilla UI, that's kind of a blurry distinction

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Every now and again I start a game determined to finally work out how minecarts work and get a working system, and then I look at it and give up.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

Every now and again I start a game determined to finally work out how minecarts work and get a working system, and then I look at it and give up.

This is me with military/alerts/burrows.

If an invader manages to breach the outer defenses, my go-to method is just to draft literally everyone in the fortress and hurl them at the enemy in a series of human dwarf wave attacks.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Orv posted:

It is in dwarf fortress! :yayclod: (It’s mostly fine but occasionally not.)
The times when it's not fine are the best at being the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Kitfox Update posted:

Hello!

Work has now progressed to the point that we feel like we can share a plan for the next several months of development, all the way up to the release. It has been a long road of course, and I'm sorry it has taken so much time to get to this point, but as it turns out there was an awful lot of stuff to do ha ha. And there's still quite a bit left to go.

We need to maintain some flexibility to react to feedback or emerging circumstances, so the following can't be set in stone. But hopefully it offers something of an idea about what's up. I know there are various levels of patience out there. All we can do is keep at it and try to plan the next steps carefully.

Here's the rough roadmap:

1. Finish the menus that haven't been upgraded yet. These include the graphics and layout for justice, health, diplomacy, and hauling. These aren't small tasks; each will take weeks. I'll also be working with Jacob during this period on the sprites we need to update throughout the project. He submitted the new weapons recently, for instance, and I also got a new batch of music from the composer. It's important to get these things incorporated in a timely fashion so everybody can keep working.

2. As the menus are finished, and the graphics updates are completed, we'll move on to some important interface and usability improvements (tooltips everywhere, Xs to close windows, hotkey support, etc). Some of these can be done fairly quickly, but a few are chunky additions, and there are lots of them to do. After this part is done, the game should be much easier to get into. At the same time, we'll also be continuing to add graphics (flows, the ocean and beach, some more shadows, etc.)

3. All this time, of course, we've been fixing old bugs and making new bugs and fixing them, and here we'll need to focus and spend some quality time with them, so that we have as smooth a launch as possible.

4. We're not sure what level of Steam Workshop will be needed for modding support, and it needs investigation.

5. The old ASCII version has other game modes - Adventure mode, Legends mode, and Arena mode. We've made significant progress on Legends mode, but we haven't done anything with Adventure mode and Arena mode yet. We also have the Classic ASCII mode to support, and we are also working on Mac and Linux builds.

6. There's the matter of Steam achievements and the other various Steam features. We'd like to support whatever people are into here, eventually.

When we finish the first three points, we'll have the playable fort game on Windows. The path ahead is now shorter than the path behind, and looking at the amount of graphics left to produce and the amount of menus to update, it looks like our earliest possible launch date would be in the fall. Many of the things from #5 or #6 will delay the launch significantly, and this leads to some very hard questions indeed! I know most of you want us to launch the game as soon as it is feasible, so we've been thinking about what it might look like to do some of #5 or #6 post-launch.

We'd been hoping to have more of these later items done faster, of course, but a few things happened. Well, 2020 and 2021 happened, ha ha. Also, my original plan for how Classic mode might be implemented has only partially panned out. I made an ASCII friendly interface layer, which'll be a great help, but I underestimated how long it would take to retool all of the smaller clickable buttons into an ASCII-friendly state. A few menus will need to be redone from scratch, and my current thinking is that doing ASCII versions of the menus alone would take a few months. I'd mostly been accounting for keeping and adapting the ASCII glyphs we already had in place, with some alterations to support for example the ability to see multiple Z levels, but the menus have changed so much it's now a much larger project. The hard question then is do we want to delay the initial release to do this? Or launch, and then do the free update after.

Adventure mode is straightforward in its way. I don't expect it'll have many real development gotchas, but it does have dozens of menus, some of them quite complex. So similarly, that'll be months of work to complete. It's an important part of the game and has figured into some of the most well-known DF community stories, but it's also separate enough from Fortress mode that we can conceive of letting people get their hands on fort mode first. Again, delay or launch?

We'll be pondering this and considering feedback. We'll eventually get to everything; it's just a matter of the best order to do things, with a different right answer for different players, frustratingly enough! I'm grateful for how patient people have been in general, especially with everything going on, and thankful for the support we've gotten from the community and Kitfox as we try to get this initial release together.

We'll continue to keep you posted with regular news updates.

-Tarn