Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Imagine doing all of that poo poo to your face but oh no taking a vaccine for a global pandemic that's just crraaaaazzzzyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

fosborb posted:

we used to use x-rays to fit shoes. how can it be so much more expensive?

We do?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Rasczak posted:

Imagine doing all of that poo poo to your face but oh no taking a vaccine for a global pandemic that's just crraaaaazzzzyyyy

Literally no one who has ever put a child in a car and gone for a ride has any right to ever talk about vaccine side effects either

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

theflyingexecutive posted:

no way, radiology is an order of magnitude more expensive than a pcr, itself an order of magnitude more expensive than an antigen

they were doing the x-rays as a screening in china in the first outbreak, maybe before they had working PCR and antigen tests

gradenko_2000 posted:

huh okay, I didn't know that taking an x-ray would be more expensive than a PCR

in the US it absolutely is. an xray will run you a few hundred dollars and i think you can get still get a PCR test for free if you wait in line for 5 hours or so

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 4, 2022

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol holy christ we're so hosed

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Which one of these four diseases floating around did that to their faces?

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

A Virus-Laden Aerosol Plume Emanating from a SARS Patient with Diahrea

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Taco Duck posted:

Which one of these four diseases floating around did that to their faces?

that would be the fifth: stupid

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

U-DO Burger posted:

lol holy christ we're so hosed

https://twitter.com/VP/status/1478179623825391620?s=20

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

actionjackson posted:

what do you mean by this
I mean you'd normally (hah) model mortality using something like a Weibull distribution, gamma distribution, or negative binomial distribution. Simple normality doesn't really fit mortality probability.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

wow boom covid solved can't believe it was that easy

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

we used to

the pedoscope

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
Thanks for the replies probably was the flu or something else. Paranoia strikes deep

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Frosted Flake posted:

Wouldn’t that be the same thing here?

People are shocked by “combat” with covid, become more experienced, more effective at keeping themselves alive, reach a peak of functioning “under fire”, and then burn out. During the burnout phase they use their accumulated experience to avoid danger, while at the same time their accumulated chronic stress and trauma leads to them taking fewer and fewer risks until they are exhausted and will not risk themselves at all.

The problem I’m seeing with this is people who are “tired” of the pandemic act in the opposite direction of that Battle Stress model: Rather than their accumulated experience, trauma and exhaustion from the pandemic causing them to avoid taking any risks at all - ie isolate to the extreme independent of government policy (soldier will no longer advance under fire, becomes unresponsive to directions), they are “tired” of self-preservation and want to take more risks - independent of government policy and their own accumulated experience, trauma and exhaustion (soldier is tired of being in cover, stands up under fire?).

Maybe this model better applies to the HCWs, that seems like a closer fit.

Just to quote myself, Andrew Hudson from E1 was on Chapo tonight talking about nursing, and what he described about nurses gaining experience, getting traumatized and burning out while constantly exposed to danger and death, to the point of being unable to do their jobs, that’s exactly what I was describing.

but

He also made an observation that bothers me and is probably true - the public isn’t seeing people die, the public doesn’t know when they are in a room with a covid patient and inadequate protection, the public isn’t getting that Battle Fatigue from the pandemic. There’s incredible Operational Stress at the sharp end, but since the public doesn’t see it they don’t avoid the danger. That kind of answers my question about why exhausted people aren’t locking down on their own.

The experience, trauma and burnout are concentrated, lol to borrow from the Libs “decoupled” - from the danger. Everybody is in danger, not everybody realizes it. Does that seem about right? It would explain why the public isn’t gaining caution and experience from the pandemic and lying down at the bottom of their trench.

Somewhat related, does anyone feel this episode redeems Chapo? I know just yesterday we were talking about how w the exception of Christman they’d become indistinguishable from Libs w the Open Biden poo poo. The wrinkle here is that Felix, who has been the most vocal about wanting to go to the gym without a mask, is also close friends with Andrew, a nurse who quit, essentially, due to Battle Fatigue fighting the pandemic. I suppose that compliments the point above about the sharp end of the pandemic going on sight unseen.

e: Just what he said about the public calling him a Hero and wanting to yell “You don’t know! You weren’t there!”, I get that. I hope we treat nurses better than veterans after this poo poo.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 4, 2022

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

they were doing the x-rays as a screening in china in the first outbreak, maybe before they had working PCR and antigen tests

mostly ct for the contrast but yeah, testing was not available at that point

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Shear Modulus posted:

in the US it absolutely is. an xray will run you a few hundred dollars and i think you can get still get a PCR test for free if you wait in line for 5 hours or so

It took a while to ramp up compatible reaction mixes for the RT-PCR tests and you also needed to have thermal cyclers. In contrast, x-ray was way more available since you just push button.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

does anyone feel this episode redeems Chapo?

no

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Ohh
Your butt is on fire
Consumed
With Covid diarrhea

Crazypoops fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 4, 2022

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Schnorkles posted:

well and 6 feet is based mostly on a study out of Nazi Germany so its not super helpful anyways

They needed that distance to do the salute all the time, it's actually to prevent eye injuries

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
guess who

(me)

Hadlock posted:

The moderna shots were oversized due to uncertainty in new mRNA vaccines and wanting to be safe by a very wide margin

With additional data they determined they the oversize dose really was way oversized, but instead of rolling back the initial doses they just rolled out the booster as half size

TL;DR moderna non booster is gigsvax sized, booster is equivalent to Pfizer booster

cute girl who jabbed me was very impressed i knew this. thanks thread!!

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1478218481862590473?s=19

lol, at least 60 walmarts closed for cleaning (the employee's ace2 receptors of covid)

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

motherfucker i'm ill
with covid-19

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

crepeface posted:

guess who

(me)

cute girl who jabbed me was very impressed i knew this. thanks thread!!

hi hello i do drug development

this is.. not quite how this works, but for the purposes of this thread whatever

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Guess which state didn't open er up

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Her facebook is public and open and posting on her last public post is going about as well as you expect lol.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Literally no one who has ever put a child in a car and gone for a ride has any right to ever talk about vaccine side effects either

Driving drunk with your kid in the back seat is statistically less likely to kill your child than taking them to a restaurant.

Learning about the statistics of drunk driving deaths compared to covid deaths was a big crack ping for me

Apr 7, 2003

Spoondick posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1478218481862590473?s=19

lol, at least 60 walmarts closed for cleaning (the employee's ace2 receptors of covid)

It’s cool that they clean Walmarts so infrequently that it makes national news when they do

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

compound being injected into you is not just a linear line of "more compound = more better"

Apr 7, 2003

Chamale posted:

Driving drunk with your kid in the back seat is statistically less likely to kill your child than taking them to a restaurant.

Like normally or in Covid times

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

god drat, he just keeps stacking up the wins

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1478173111665270784

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Like normally or in Covid times

In Covid times. Restaurants normally don't kill children

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

compound being injected into you is not just a linear line of "more compound = more better"

yes it is shut up

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Every Dose Response sigmoidal cries out in pain when you think that double dose means double activity

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Schnorkles posted:

that's what someone who wanted to keep all the compound for themselves would say

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

ex post facho posted:

yes it is shut up

i mean whatever, the immune response4 on vaccines is weird and i don't understand enough of the underpinning metabolics to know what from what but this concept that 100um is 2x as good as 50um is wild ascientific poo poo itt

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Schnorkles posted:

i mean whatever, the immune response4 on vaccines is weird and i don't understand enough of the underpinning metabolics to know what from what but this concept that 100um is 2x as good as 50um is wild ascientific poo poo itt

Still negative today after my NYE party with all pozzed people otherwise, several symptomatic. More vaxx = better than.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

holy poo poo

he nails the question and she just deflects as hard as possible

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Skyl3lazer posted:

My grandfather was ill and in a VA (veteran not state) hospital in October 2019. He was there for 3 weeks, and the last week caught an unknown respiratory disease which trailed him a bit out of the hospital. During that time he lost his sense of taste and smell, which he still has not regained.

I totally think he got it super early. VA hospitals in this area could also have been treating soldiers from the same group that showed up in China with what was probably covid.

I have nothing to back these theories up, which means I'm 100% right.

this thread has known for over a year that the virus started in the USA and was only first detected in China because they have a functioning healthcare system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Guess which state didn't open er up

looks like lockdowns don't work!