Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'm playtesting for earthborn rangers - if the next rounds nda allows I'll post impressions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Earthbourne Rangers looks rad. I’m a fan of the art and theme. Definitely putting it on my radar.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Team Covenant played a demo/beta version a while back and it seemed interesting.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I backed it based on Covenant's coverage and listening to Novarro's pitch

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
WHOOPS. Delete. Thanks, Thirsty Dog.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 4, 2022

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Very much the wrong thread

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

PaybackJack posted:

Speaking of, who is in everyone's top 10 most wanted heroes and villains?

Heroes:
1) Mr. Fantastic
2) Moon Knight
3) Ghost Rider
4) Karnak
5) Dr. Doom
6) Cable
7) Gambit
8) Rogue
9) America Chavez
10) Nico Minoru

Villains:

1) Dr. Doom
2) Kingpin
3) Mr. Sinister
4) Apocalpyse
5) Mr Negative
6) Galactus
7) Namor
8) Puppet Master
9) Kraven
10) The Wizard

I’ve seen TTS versions of all of these characters except hero doom. https://discord.gg/uF2hxGSKhc A lot of people also do print n’play versions if you’re willing to spend some money at Kinko’s.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Vision is out now.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t expect him to be this good. His cards compliment each other really well and while I only did solo runs against Klaw and Rhino, Vision did incredibly well against Klaw w/Masters of Evil solo. Solarpower beam means you can usually pile on damage, flip to intangible, and then thwart and not worry about damage too much. He works great with defence because in intangible you can use cards like preemptive strike or his new card lets you straight up discard a boost before it even hits. The android allies don’t necessarily pack firepower, but they take the heat off you pretty well, and Vivian can do a ton and if you can flip often it’s easy to get her back if you have the house.

Vision is really fun. It’s fun to flip forms to optimize how you play and it works a let better than Spectrum because you have full control of how you flip and you don’t need cards to do it. The trade off is it’s only once per turn but that’s fine enough. Vision is a hero that will highly compliment any other hero. I don’t think he’s quite on the Dr.Strange tier of power, but he’s good. Really good.

Next up is Sinister Motives which isn’t out until end of march. So we have a bit of a break.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Any word on if the new release of LOTR is noteworthy? All I know is it supports 4p in the core set.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You can’t use cards that have DEFENSE keyword like preemptive strike while intangible. They count as defense, and he can’t defend.

Agro is amazing for the Vision, with combat training and Boot Camp, you can do great things with yourself or Viv and reboot. He can take all the fun avengers discount cards via team training, and with meditate, soul gem, the mansion, and quinncarrier, you’re going to run out of cards before you run out of money to play them.

Being able to summon an ally is like mockingbird returning to hand but much more versatile. I haven’t been able to pull off toe-to-toe into the card that ignores all damage and stuns an attacker, but that’s a great combo as well.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Any word on if the new release of LOTR is noteworthy? All I know is it supports 4p in the core set.

It's a recollection of the original core set but with enough dials and cards to support 4p. There are 3 of each player card (aside from 8 of the neutral gandalf ally) so you don't have to buy multiple core sets for extra copies. If you already have the cards it probably isn't worth it but its much better if you are just starting out.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Golden Bee posted:

You can’t use cards that have DEFENSE keyword like preemptive strike while intangible. They count as defense, and he can’t defend.

Yeah I realized that after one game, still amazingly good even with that corrected.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

PerniciousKnid posted:

It also adds some boons and campaign cards. All the new cards will be available through Print on Demand so no need to buy the new core just for that.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Nova/Sam Alexander announced for Marvel Champions. Looks like he has a really good kit and I’m excited to see more.

What they also stealthily announced, was that it seems they cannot keep up with their releases and they’re now every other month. Which explains why nothing new was announced till now. Sinister Motives is March, and Nova is April. Gets me a little worried about the state of the game.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

The Black Stones posted:

Nova/Sam Alexander announced for Marvel Champions. Looks like he has a really good kit and I’m excited to see more.

What they also stealthily announced, was that it seems they cannot keep up with their releases and they’re now every other month. Which explains why nothing new was announced till now. Sinister Motives is March, and Nova is April. Gets me a little worried about the state of the game.

I really wouldn't be worried. There are 2000+ cards out/announced now and I think the X-Men box is going to be really popular later this year.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah, if not being able to put a pack out a month is a shipping thing, I get it, the world is weird.

If it's a "we don't pay our developers enough because we were gutted by private equity", which is what I assume it is, well, I always assumed it would happen.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Reading through the Nova page it's cool he comes with a modular set too.

As we mentioned earlier, the Nova Hero Pack is the first hero pack that also comes with a bonus modular encounter set! This set features the ultra-tough Armadillo (Nova, 29), a Brute minion with the unique ability to stack up multiple tough status cards at once.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2022/1/27/unleashing-the-nova-force/

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
FFG is typically a year ahead on their development than what's in print so there's almost zero chance that the current delay is related to design issues. They're just still suffering from really bad shipping issues.

Valkyrie finally just got listed on Amazon, but isn't listed as in stock yet, while Vision already shipped from them. Some places in the UK still don't even have Valkyrie either. I think it was probably a smart move to delay a month on the Sinister Motives box set to try and get all their ducks in a row on the shipping of them because I don't think they want another situation like with MTS.

Nova doesn't look too interesting to be honest but having a resource card from day 1 is pretty cool. Fluid Motion should make aggression Quicksilver even more ridiculous. No quarter is very interesting as well and makes me wish you could run decks without having to use all their hero cards. I like that we're seeing more stuff that interacts with Aerial as well.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

It also adds some boons and campaign cards. All the new cards will be available through Print on Demand so no need to buy the new core just for that.

I didn't love (or buy) LOTR originally but I'm not interested in Arkham thematically so I was basically wondering if there was any reason to reconsider LOTR.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I didn't love (or buy) LOTR originally but I'm not interested in Arkham thematically so I was basically wondering if there was any reason to reconsider LOTR.

It's the same game with a slightly smoother core box experience. I don't know that it would make you like a game you didn't care about before.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

shipping issues have affected literally all miniatures/card game companies for the last year and a half, I wouldn't read too much into it. Everyone from Asmodee to GW had their release calendars radically shifted since mid 2020.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Wait, so is Armadillo in lieu of Nova's nemesis?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

Looks like just a bonus. Not having a nemesis would break the game a bit in terms of the Standard villain cards.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Don't they usually mention the nemesis?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

CitizenKeen posted:

I am assuming (but this is a guess), that Nova has less non-aspect cards than most other heroes, so we have same total number of cards. Maybe all Allies? I’m hoping they’re all other champions (or other novas).

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Got to see Vision in action last weekend and it feels like they kind of dropped the ball with giving him an S-tier rating with his attachment discard. Making it unrestricted would have been perfectly fine for the game and given him and interesting niche. It's not bad as it is, and still useful but being able to discard attachments that don't normally have a way of being unattached would have been fine. I guess maybe they didn't want to have to print Permanent on a bunch of thing going forward.

Speaking of overnerfing something, his intangible form only reducing the damage on attacks could have just been universal sources of damage and it would have been fine and also been a cool niche.

Otherwise Vision seems like a solid B+. Being able to replay and reuse Viv a lot was the gimmick of the deck my friend was using but beyond that it felt like he was pretty versatile and could play a lot of roles.

We pretty much lost because of Ultron which was something new. Usually Nemesis are annoyances but not a big deal, in this case Ultron just ruined the game for us so, yeah don't know what they were thinking with that one.

In other news I'm loving done with Standard 2. Or at the very least just making the setup card a card that can come out from the encounter deck because just basically turning off stuns and confuses for a guy like Vision that isn't really spamming them is too brutal.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Vision is really really good and being able to get rid of any attachment would have been overkill for his deck. I would like to see another hero get a “remove any attachment” ability but Visions kit is powerful enough without putting that in there.

His Solar-Powered Beam is is a huge threat and considering he can get it back from the discard somewhat easily is huge. Plus when you get the Cape out, Stun/Confuse becomes a joke because you can go Stalwart.

I think his only weakness (at least with my Defence build) is he isn’t the best at clearing swaths of minions but he can deal with a regular amount. He’s not Dr.Strange tier, but he’s drat close.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah he’s the only character who can summon his signature ally every time he goes to alter ego. And then spam her with reboot.

If you want to mitigate damage with him, try something like this: https://marvelcdb.com/decklist/view/16623/no-defending-energy-barrier-tank-updated-2.0

In terms of discarding, it’s much more common with custom heroes. And discarding instead of reshuffling Ronan‘s mega-attachment is the only way I was able to beat GMW with a non-broken deck. I think we were running black cat and a custom Jessica Jones (The one that has her own side scheme and encounter cards that are less painful than Ronan‘s chain surges.)

Nowadays, the mitigation strategy is just activation and encounter cancels like venom and Adam warlock.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 9, 2022

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

alansmithee posted:

Also I got to try the new Vampire Rivals lcg. And honestly, I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. It's sorely lacking in cardpool, and I'm not entirely enamored of the starting decks (assuming my friend put them together right, the Ventrue is woefully bad) but there's a lot to like. I still think the original game is maybe better, but some of that could be the fact that I'm looking at it from the perspective of a fully formed game. I definitely think for a competitive multiplayer card game it's very solid.
I've played one game of this and it certainly scratches a lot of itches. The "put a card down, announce what kind of attack, they have to decide to defend" bit is very neat, and the choice to be active In The Streets or chill in your Haven is a neat decision point. There's supposedly going to be a tournament for it at my FLGS in May, but I have no idea how that works, since the 2p game I played seemed really rough, Rivals probably sings at 4p.
Deck construction is gonna be weird if you are 1 person with 1 set trying to make 4 valid decks out of one starter's card pool. Like, you own 6 Baseball Bat cards, so 2 decks have a full set of 3 each and 2 decks have no bats whatsoever?
Also Ranged attacks feel like a trap because they can't be boosted by anything, but Vampires still get DR based on their Physical stat so Ranged is only good against 2/3 of the field. Sketch include in any deck imo.

The prestige tokens are a little cumbersome because you have to track who spent what and the voting mechanic is not well documented (did you know you can use prestige as votes? I didn't!) and Influence-adding cards aren't in the base decks so it looks like there's no way to actually get influence beyond your starting 1 influence.

Anyway I love me some VtM and this scratches a bunch of itches and makes me wish more and more than Jyhad was better supported as the true multiplayer deckmaster game instead of trying to square peg magic into the commander round hole.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

French marketing page for Sinister Motives has spoiled there is another "hidden villain" in the box: Venom Goblin.

The campaign deal is an influence track. I like that each campaign mode has it's own mechanic that's unique. Felt like the best one so far has been MTS.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

PerniciousKnid posted:

The LOTR LCG does it's them extremely well, and over the course of it's life did some neat things with both player card and encounter deck design. It's a fun game to play with friends, my buddies and I played it regularly for years in the before times.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2022/2/17/maximum-efficiency/

Ironheart article - some interesting bits:

This hero pack also includes a bonus modular set featuring the bizarre electromagnetic intelligence, Zzzax!
Right off the bat, it’s clear that Ironheart is a particularly unique hero for one major reason: she has three identity cards!
Note: Our hope is to release all future hero packs in pairs (each will remain their own separate product) barring any shipping delays or other logistical issues.

McGurk fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 17, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
And again, they don't mention a nemesis, which feels weird. I doubt FFG is giving us a bonus seven cards from nowhere, so where are those bonus seven cards coming from?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Fritzler posted:

I am assuming (but this is a guess), that Nova has less non-aspect cards than most other heroes, so we have same total number of cards. Maybe all Allies? I’m hoping they’re all other champions (or other novas).

Actually, scuttlebutt from reddit and Discord is you're correct. The cardpool is sufficiently deep that not every pack needs to have a new card for each aspect; getting more modulars is deemed to also have value. Also, pairing packs reinforces this - between the two packs you can have a new aspect so the pool changes slightly over time.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Ironheart sounds fun for multiplayer but a nightmare for single-handed. Actually the whole ramp thing seems pretty slow but I guess we'll have to see how it actually plays.

Been testing against Ronan trying to figure out how to beat him and it's just so hard to manage 2B and impossible to keep him from flipping to it without a ton of luck. The scheming randomness is really what's killing me in true solo and making me want to just run Justice all the time because double schemes turns are insta-losses.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

PaybackJack posted:

Ironheart sounds fun for multiplayer but a nightmare for single-handed. Actually the whole ramp thing seems pretty slow but I guess we'll have to see how it actually plays.

I think the progress will ramp pretty fast with the right decks. Just guesstimating off of the card numbers, she has four cards that can either give one or two progress and one or two copies of a resource card that gives progress after it's spent, and since it's a science icon you could theoretically spend it to generate a progress and then trigger the text that also generates a progress when you spend the card. She also has a card (albeit a bit expensive at 3 cost) that lets you search your deck for Ironheart cards so it would probably take pretty abysmal luck to not get to at least phase two reasonably quickly, IMO.

Also that new leadership card (Go All Out) rules.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Also that new leadership card (Go All Out) rules.

Yeah Go All Out looks like a lot of fun. I feel like we're going to see lots of deckbuilding along the lines of the Brute Force/Quick strike/Smash the Problem Aggression decks from it. Also it is absolutely bananas in a Spider-Woman deck.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fun game of Vampire Rivals last night. I've now played heads-up (twice), 3p and 4p, and this game absolutely sings at 4p.

Very good at simulating the experience of a coterie of vampires vs the experience in Jyhad/VTES of being a methuselah pulling everyone's strings.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shrecknet posted:

Fun game of Vampire Rivals last night. I've now played heads-up (twice), 3p and 4p, and this game absolutely sings at 4p.

Very good at simulating the experience of a coterie of vampires vs the experience in Jyhad/VTES of being a methuselah pulling everyone's strings.

How does it compare to a 4p game of VTES, would you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Shrecknet posted:

Hope you can make it to one of the Prince of the City tournaments this year for it!