Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

HerStuddMuffin posted:

For those of us who don’t generally follow forum drama but would like to know more, is there a thread you could point to?

I know the PYF Sagas thread did a rundown.

Edit: oh poo poo, snipe, have some content

How to make it clear to someone that they make me uncomfortable and I don’t want to be friends posted:

I (26M) met ‘Anne’ (23F) through mutual friends and at first we got along really well but she very quickly started to make me a bit uncomfortable. There’d be things like we’d meet up for lunch and she’d jump in and pay before I got a chance, which if it happens once or if it’s only for something small is one thing, but this would happen every time we met up. There was even one time we were looking in a bookshop and she snatched a book I was going to get out of my hands and insisted on paying for it. When I tried to protest she sort of created a scene and I was so embarrassed I ended up dropping it. I should also add that I have a full time job and am well paid enough to look after myself. The other thing that would make this worse is that a day or two later she’d be posting on social media saying she was broke and asking if people could PayPal her money. She also does this thing where she just constantly almost bombs you with compliments, for lack of a better term, like she’ll constantly tell me I’m fantastic and great and the sheer quantity makes it seem insincere and false, and because she makes me uncomfortable just makes me cringe and feel guilty. When I told her this made me uncomfortable she said it was ‘a you problem.’ What really makes me mad though is that I have a connective tissue disorder called Ehlers Danlos syndrome. It doesn’t impact me too much, thankfully, but on a bad day I walk with a cane. When she found this out, she would constantly try to tell me and everyone else what I could and could not do, and talk over me and make a big deal of it if I said I wasn’t up to something, which is something that makes me want to scream.

What brought things to a head originally was that I posted on Twitter griping that I’d bought a new binder (I’m trans) and it didn’t fit even though I’d got one from the same place just a few months before which still fit perfectly, and she started sending me messages offering to buy a new one. Aside from anything, this was a simple case of returning it and getting the next size up, but even if it hadn’t been, I don’t think it’s very appropriate for someone who really didn’t know me well to offer to buy me underwear. I let her know that she was making me uncomfortable and that I didn’t really want to be friends, and soft blocked her on Twitter.

For a few months everything was fine, but then flash forward to a few weeks ago. A friend was having a Christmas dinner and guess who was there? She sort of cornered me at one end of the table and kept talking at me. I was sort of zoning out and she kept loudly asking if I was okay which made me more and more uncomfortable. I made my excuses and managed to leave early. Nothing happened until today when she started following me again on twitter.

I’m not really sure what to do at this point without it becoming a major thing with mutual friends. She’s very dramatic and inclined to exaggerate, and given how much she enjoys playing the victim (even going so far as to center herself in things that happened to people she knows) I wouldn’t put it past her not to try and turn people on me. I’m going to properly block her on Twitter before she starts liking and replying to every single thing, but I was hoping someone might have some advice on letting her know clearly that I do not want to be around her without it turning in to a big thing.

TL;DR: someone who I’m not comfortable with keeps trying to get back into my life and I’m not sure how to shake her

Hattie Masters fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

kimbo305 posted:

Do you really think there’s a place right now that’s safe from omicron?

I’m pretty sure seraphina lives in NZ, and while we’re not *safe* from omicron, we’ve been fortunate to have comparatively few cases of covid at all

E: still pretty rude of seraphina tho, yall can’t help being American

Shithouse Dave fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 4, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

For those of us who don’t generally follow forum drama but would like to know more, is there a thread you could point to?

You can go to the Leper Colony and filter to show only Permabanned users.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for calling the police on my brother.

quote:

So for Christmas my mother got me and my wife a pride flag, and we hung it on the outside of our garage. It got stolen a few days ago, but since we have cameras we were able to figure out the culprit was my brother.

This isn't a huge surprise, I came out at 12 and in the 32 years later and he has been nothing but horrible to me because of that. I decided even so to call him up and ask him to return the flag, I told him that as long as he doesn't do it again we can forget about it. He refused and said some homophobic slurs, so I called the police and reported it.

He is on probation so he could go back to jail now. He called me and cursed me out saying I'm sending him to jail for stealing a $10 flag. AITA?

get his rear end

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mx. posted:

AITA for calling the police on my brother.

you sent yourself to jail over a $10 flag, dumbass

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Where do they live that the police don't just go "that's a civil matter" and walk away?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Facebook Aunt posted:

Where do they live that the police don't just go "that's a civil matter" and walk away?

This is a wealthy person with a private home and a camera monitoring the porch

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for not letting my son learn how to program and telling him to pick a different career?

quote:

I (53M) have a son (14M) who is quite passionate about computers. He got a hand-me-down from one of my co-workers son who recently went off to college and for his birthday I upgraded the specs. Granted it's no powerhouse but it can do stuff quite well.

But the thing is, he has autism, which predisposes him to be more affected by the blue light of screens. I've noticed that when he spends more than a few hours on the computer, he gets more irritable and hyped up, which is not good for him as it causes us stress and is not a healthy behavior to carry into the real world.

This came to a head when he recently went to a summer class focused on game development. The students there would spend up to 7 hours working on computers, and that's when I noticed his irritability and hyperactivity was at the worst. So once the program was over, we told him that we would be setting time limits on his computer so as to prevent him from being too wired up, and he's becoming nearsighted and computers make it worse. On top of that, he is to choose a different career that isn't as heavily focused on computers.

He didn't take this well. He got mad at us and straight up said we were "full of poo poo," which only proved my point and offended me quite honestly. I put my foot down and told him either he accepts the limitations or he won't have a computer at all, to which he begrudgingly complied.

Not too long ago I couldn't sleep so I went down to make myself some chamomile tea, and that's when I saw him on the computer, and he had gotten past our time limits. I immediately got on him and told him to turn off the computer now and that he was banned from it for defying our authority, but he told me that he "did his research" and I was wrong about the blue light, and after I told him he couldn't pursue a career in computers he felt like he had no choice but to go behind my back, and called me unsupportive and punitive.

This is where I lost it. I immediately demanded him to get out of his seat and I got on to see what he was doing, I found out he was learning a coding language called Rust, which further upset me. As punishment I deleted it off of his computer and all the programs he was working on, which he did not take kindly. He immediately began to cry and tell me not to do it as he approached me, but I told him that if he lays hands on me or gives me lip then I would call the cops and tell them he's harassing me, and he went to bed crying.

Since then he's refused to talk to me, or even acknowledge that I exist, and only does his chores when I say I'll take something away. His mood has been quite low, and today after he refused to eat dinner with us, my wife told me that I went too far, that I "crushed" my son and he's going to probably never see me in the same way again, and all of this has me feeling quite terrible about what I've done. I don't know if I'm justified or he's right.

win10 has a "night light" feature that just turns down the blue channel. you can set it on a timer and everything. but denying your son's career choice and alienating him forever is a good solution too

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

He can simply choose a career in one of the many fields that don't use screens, such as

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for not letting my son learn how to program and telling him to pick a different career?

win10 has a "night light" feature that just turns down the blue channel. you can set it on a timer and everything. but denying your son's career choice and alienating him forever is a good solution too

there's so much money in programming. better not only forbid my son from doing it, but also, threaten to call the cops on him.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

This is a wealthy person with a private home and a camera monitoring the porch

Its also picking up a nonviolent offender with history so its like a free +1 on the quota board

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Foo Diddley posted:

but I told him that if he lays hands on me or gives me lip then I would call the cops and tell them he's harassing me, and he went to bed crying.

Talk back to me and I will have you arrested!

Why does my son hate me?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Serephina posted:

Not everyone lives in a... what the phrase your president used?... shithole country.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Serephina did absolutely nothing wrong

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Disciplining my autistic child by telling them I can have them put in jail on false charges. Someone definitely needs the authorities called on them; I wonder if this guy could be tricked into calling CPS on himself?

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Aren't there also specifically glasses that help with the light from computers?! :psyduck:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Pomme de Terror posted:

Aren't there also specifically glasses that help with the light from computers?! :psyduck:

quote:

YTA don't they make special glasses to help with that??? They're called blue light glasses or blue light blocking glasses or something.

quote:

They don't work.

well, that's that

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Probably! There's also downloadable apps for any OS with further customization, if you don't like whatever it brings by default. Those are actual solutions though. This is not about helping the kid, this is about the OP dominating and crushing his own kid so he can feel like a big tough man.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The way he describes it, does he think all autistic people can't use computers?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Hattie Masters posted:

I know the PYF Sagas thread did a rundown.

I tried to find this in the PYF Sagas thread for a summary but it's hella cursed at the end with a FYAD beef slapfight and I wasn't able to find anything. If you want the info on the cumshitter perma, my rec is to go to the Leper's Colony and finding the permaban, which links to the offending post in the thread and then you can click the little question mark under his name to get just cumshitter's posts

it's quite something

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Autistic child abuse dad seems to really hate Rust for some reason. Also, in the comments, he hates C compilers. He just really hates programming.

It's also a tried and true abuse tactic. Treat your kid like poo poo, watch them have a meltdown, and then use that as an excuse to abuse them further. Works really good on disabled kids because then you have a bunch of people patting you on the back for doing the hard work of raising a disabled kid.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Shithouse Dave posted:

I’m pretty sure seraphina lives in NZ, and while we’re not *safe* from omicron, we’ve been fortunate to have comparatively few cases of covid at all

E: still pretty rude of seraphina tho, yall can’t help being American

lol you guys really don't get it do you, omicron is spreading pretty heavily in a bunch of Western European countries as well (and no not just Terf Island), this isn't some isolated case of LOL AMERICA BAD. It's infectious as gently caress.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Grape posted:

lol you guys really don't get it do you, omicron is spreading pretty heavily in a bunch of Western European countries as well (and no not just Terf Island), this isn't some isolated case of LOL AMERICA BAD. It's infectious as gently caress.

What serephina said was specifically directed toward Americans in the thread.

Let’s not kvetch further on a sixer of all things.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Dik Hz posted:

Is creepy your tigger word?

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
teen witch hardly uses her buttons as is, don't be mean when she actually does or she won't do it again

(ily teen witch pls don't use your buttons on me)

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Grape posted:

Hmm...

https://twitter.com/RaviHVJ/status/1478093936736546816

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Drop it or I’ll close the thread

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Give me your uterus

AITA for not having my friends baby for her?

quote:

Ok so one of my close friends is trying to have a baby. Her & her husband are separating, he promised to give her a baby then never did. Anyways she’s like 38 mind you I am 22.. & she wants me to be her surragate & carry her baby for her. She also said she will pay me but I can’t. Like I just can’t. Idek if I wanna have my own kids let alone someone else’s for them. I am at like the prime age of my life.. traveling the world & being single & happy. So am I the rear end in a top hat if I just tell her no? I have a feeling she is going to be upset when I tell her how I feel ab it. It’s almost like she just expects me to do it

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dr. Stab posted:

Autistic child abuse dad seems to really hate Rust for some reason. Also, in the comments, he hates C compilers. He just really hates programming.

It's also a tried and true abuse tactic. Treat your kid like poo poo, watch them have a meltdown, and then use that as an excuse to abuse them further. Works really good on disabled kids because then you have a bunch of people patting you on the back for doing the hard work of raising a disabled kid.

The autistic child abuse dad also seems to think computers emit some kind of Harm Rays. Narrows it down to troll or extremely stupid.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I hear blue light from computer monitors is up to five times as harmful to a disabled child as drinking red cordial.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

endlessmonotony posted:

The autistic child abuse dad also seems to think computers emit some kind of Harm Rays. Narrows it down to troll or extremely stupid.

He's a narcissist. "Well, they still emit EM rays even if you block the blue light" is him changing his story so he isn't wrong. He doesn't really believe it. He just says whatever he needs to say to be right.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

"This loving computer is giving you anger issues!" I scream at my autistic child as I rage-delete his poo poo and threaten to call the cops to rough him up.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dr. Stab posted:

He's a narcissist. "Well, they still emit EM rays even if you block the blue light" is him changing his story so he isn't wrong. He doesn't really believe it. He just says whatever he needs to say to be right.

Yeah, the real problem is stated in the OP: the son defied his authority, and he's going to ridiculous lengths of bullshit to justify why his panicky abusive kneejerk overreaction is just good parenting, you guys.

this loving guy posted:

Autism is not a disability, though. And blue light filters don't work as the computer itself can still put out electromagnetic radiation that can be harmful.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for telling my friend to treat her body hair?

Tell us you want your friend's husban without telling us ... oh wait.

"Why does my stupid chubby bitch friend not take my advice about her ugly pregnant body or move out of the way so I can gently caress her Adonis husband with my far superior, not at all hairy wolf-girl body?"

loving aye, people will justify anything as "being nice".

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
AITA for donating money in my boyfriend's name for Christmas?

quote:

My (m18) family has a lot of money, but we live very average. We have a two story house with just enough bedrooms for everyone, an art studio in our garage, and a nice entertainment center in our basement. We only go on one vacation a year and it's to visit my parents' families back in France (we live in the US) during summer. My boyfriend's (m18) family does not have enough money to feed everyone or have power half the time.

On birthdays and Christmas time, because my parents have always told my sister and I that we have everything we need so instead of gift giving, we do charity. Sometimes we run meal stands for the homeless people, we donate lots of money and food to areas, ect.

My boyfriend and I have been friends for about two years but this was our first christmas as a couple. He's always known the charity thing and he's always thought it was a great thing. For Christmas, he got me some rings and earrings off Amazon. I gave him a printed out screenshot of the email I got for donating money to a local animal shelter in his name.

He made a face looking at the paper but it was in front of my family so he smiled and said thank you, kissed my cheek, and moved on. I could tell it bothered him, though, so I brought it up a few days later and he told me it didn't have any thought or care to it. I thought it did have a lot of care. He volunteers for animal shelters sometimes and loves animals to death. He constantly talks about adopting a dog when he has his own place.

I was honestly really surprised he was so upset about this as a gift. It's been days now and his texts are dry and usually only a word or two. He "didn't feel up for it" when I asked if we were spending New Years together. I'm worried now I may have made the wrong call. Was it really that insensitive of a gift? How can I make up for it?

Edit: A lot of commenters are saying I should have helped him with the money instead of giving it to charity. My family already helps him all the time. We give him food money for his sister and him all the time. When we found out he sleeps outside a lot, we got rid of our couch in the basement and replaced it with a pull-out so he would always have a place to sleep. I thought getting him something like a gift card for groceries or whatever would be more rude than anything else.

My intention with this as a gift was to show he's apart of the family now, seeing as it is a family tradition. He never expressed any desire for a material gift (or that he was getting me anything) so I assumed he knew/didn't have a preference for a gift. Had he asked, I would have gotten a different gift. I thought it was thoughtful, as it's something important to him while I would have given it to a different organization had it been in my name. (Not that I don't think shelters are important, I'm just trying to get across that I was thinking of him when I picked where to put the money.)

:guillotine:

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

sephiRoth IRA posted:

AITA for donating money in my boyfriend's name for Christmas?

:guillotine:

What the heck, this isn't difficult:
- "Hey, instead of you giving me a gift, please donate to charity instead" --> Great!
- "Hey, instead of me giving you a gift, I'll donate to charity instead" --> Bad!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for embarrassing my fiance in front his friends?

quote:

I(26F) work full-time in pest control for my father's company and part-time at a local hardware store. My fiance(27M) works for the state government as an auditor. My fiance and I are currently living in a small townhome. My fiance loves to cook and will buy most of the groceries. I help out with bills, rent, and cleaning the townhome. My fiance grew up not knowing how to do common household cleaning. His mother did all of the cleaning and household chores. I taught my fiance how to use a mop and washer and dryer. He does help sometimes with the laundry and cleaning. There are times when I had jobs late in the evening and would come home to dishes in the sink and a small mess in the kitchen. I have asked my fiance if he would be willing to clean up after himself and he says honey, you do such a great job at keeping the home clean. I don't want to mess up anything.

My fiance had a few friends over to play some video games and I was in the kitchen cleaning. One of his friends comes out of the bathroom yelling that the toilet was overflowing and water was flowing over the bowl. My fiance quickly gets up and grabs the plunger, but causing more water to flow out. I run into the basement and turn the water off. I grab some towels and start cleaning the mess up as my fiance goes back to finish the movie. One of his friends stays behind to help with the cleaning when I hear my fiance call to him saying hey, come finish the game. She does not need any help. His friend gives me a look and goes back to playing the game.

The food is delivered and everyone comes into the kitchen to grab a slice. The same friend asks my fiance if he ever helps with any of the cleaning around the house. He shakes his head and says no, OP enjoys doing it and I do the cooking and grocery shopping. It keeps everyone happy. I grab my food and say yes, I definitely enjoy cleaning a two floor townhouse all by myself. It's unfortunate that my fiance does not know how to clean up after himself. His friends start laughing and I could see my fiance's face turning bright red. When his friends left, my fiance starts yelling at me that I completely embarrassed him in front of his friends and being an unappreciative partner.

His mother heard what happened from him and she did let me know that it was a women's responsibility to do the cleaning and grocery shopping. She even suggested that I quit both of my jobs and stay at home.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Soylent Pudding posted:

Kill him, start dating the friend who has a little respect for you.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Police love busting people on probation for minor offenses

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for wanting my wife to wear her wedding ring?

quote:

My wife and I got married last year and for the most part of a year she hasn’t worn her wedding ring. Mostly during some date nights and special occasions but basically any other time it’s either around her neck at work or on the nightstand. She’s a climber and skiing and does a lot of outdoor sports so I can understand her worry about it getting scratched or lost but she isn’t consistent about putting it on when she’s home. When we were dating she mentioned that she hated rings and bracelets because she didn’t want things constricting her. I bought a lifetime resizing and damages package with the ring but it’s not really about the fit she just doesn’t like wearing it. I’ve asked her to wear it more but she just complains how she doesn’t like wearing rings and wears it around her neck often under her clothes. I just feel she doesn’t take my feeling into consideration seeing as I always wear my ring. I don’t expect her to wear it doing sport but other times she isn’t impeded by wearing it she should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for wanting my wife to wear her wedding ring?

She doesn't like wearing it, chill out

Goddamn

Why aren't you wearing the wedding corset I got you :smith: You must not love me