Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

I always buy butter in wrapped 500g blocks instead of tubs, then I can use a cheese slicer (scandi style) on the top and I don't ever have to bother with difficult to spread butter, or buy soft-spread stuff which isn't as good.

I just leave my butter out in a butter dish and it’s almost always spreadable (unless it’s really really cold) because I’m middle class as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just lol if you don't have one of the things where you keep the butter upside-down in a little moat of water. great for stopping the butter going nasty but always spreadable. You do have to change the moat-water regularly tho

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Oh god he’s got tiny arms, like the opposite of May’s slenderman form

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Failed Imagineer posted:

Just lol if you don't have one of the things where you keep the butter upside-down in a little moat of water. great for stopping the butter going nasty but always spreadable. You do have to change the moat-water regularly tho

I have no idea what the gently caress you are talking about.

And also just keep butter in a butter dish and it will be fine to spread in all but the coldest weather.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I only buy margerine and it doesn't taste any different to me :colbert:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

keep the butter upside-down

what

I'm not sure i've ever seen butter with directionality

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wut

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think what is being described is a butter dish with a water seal, but I don't know where the "upside down" comes in. Perhaps it is some sort of butter isomer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

I think what is being described is a butter dish with a water seal, but I don't know where the "upside down" comes in. Perhaps it is some sort of butter isomer.

If you think of a tub of butter as having a lid, "upside down" would be with the lid at the bottom.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Even after Jedit’s expiation I’m baffled by upside down butter castle

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm not sure i've ever seen butter with directionality
Scalars, vectors, butters.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_butter_dish

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

I only buy margerine and it doesn't taste any different to me :colbert:

We're just pretending this post didn't happen, right?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I make my own butter and all you need is the ball whip attachment for a kenwood mixer, cream, and the trust and patience to watch it go through the stages till your ball is filled with butter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is entirely on brand for the chocolate orange disliker to have other bad food ideas.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Butter is probably the first food where the Vegan alternative has outdone the original. Olive spreads are better than either butter or margarine now.

One of the first at least. There's probably some old food where the base was made of pork rinds or something and everyone now just pretends that it wasn't. Maybe that's why you can't get Start now.

feedmegin posted:

American recipe? You buy butter there and it comes in a rectangular cardboard box, and inside are four individually wrapped sticks, and on the stick is marked each tablespoon, 8 to a stick. So you just slice at the appropriate point.
Exactly how that works depends on where you are. I've seen the long East Coast style ones in France too though.

https://twitter.com/notbangalore/status/1119966129630400512

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Butter is probably the first food where the Vegan alternative has outdone the original. Olive spreads are better than either butter or margarine now.

This is correct, I refer to olive spreads as margarine because I can't be hosed explaining it to most people and its easier. I also refer to it as butter around my household, probably mostly to annoy twisto.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Maugrim posted:

The money went out this morning of course, but from a quick Google I get the impression that it's my responsibility as tenant to make sure the rent gets to his account by the 1st. Is that correct? I guess that would mean I need to move the standing order to like the 28th or something.

He's an extremely spiteful guy so we put a lot of effort into not pissing him off or ever having contact with him if possible.

Sounds like a prime oval office even for a landlord, good luck

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Since when does butter even come in tubs? Tubs are for margarine et al, I’ve only ever seen butter in blocks.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If the Queen had kept Andrew upside down in a moat of water the royal family wouldn't be in its current predicament. Also it helps with sweating, you should try.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
yeah sure i just keep my butter immersed in water, totally normal behaviour.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Thank you.

It's a pro butter strat. You have to remember to reverse the polarity before you eat it tho, rettub can be toxic to humans

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

yeah sure i just keep my butter immersed in water, totally normal behaviour.

The butter and water don't touch

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Failed Imagineer posted:

The butter and water don't touch

Actually checking the wiki article, and it actually looks like a good idea. I had a horrible mental image of it being all wet and gross like feta cheese.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

Since when does butter even come in tubs? Tubs are for margarine et al, I’ve only ever seen butter in blocks.

It's usually "Lurpak Spreadable" & the like.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

U can also keep ur butter fresh by keeping in a regular butter dish & simply eating it quicker

Happy new year, thread

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Eat more butter is the solution to many things.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
If you're worried about your butter going off before you get a chance to use it, try making one James Martin recipe a week*

*not to be undertaken before discussions with your cardiologist.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I'm telling you just get olive spreads, they keep for like a million years compared to butter.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Total Meatlove posted:

If you're worried about your butter going off before you get a chance to use it, try making one James Martin recipe a week*

*not to be undertaken before discussions with your cardiologist.

or Simply Sara

*not to be undertaken before arrangements made with your undertaker

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
she'll gently caress a gallon of mayonnaise and a sack of gummy worms in any old recipe

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

I'm telling you just get olive spreads, they keep for like a million years compared to butter.
And you need far less conversations with your cardiologist (or hepatologist, even outside of ethical concerns people eat way too much animal fat and you do not want gallstones).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The various spreads made with vegetable or olive oil are great, I wasn't aware that it was still in contention at any point after the 90s.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The various spreads made with vegetable or olive oil are great, I wasn't aware that it was still in contention at any point after the 90s.

My wife's family has used these exclusively since the 90s. She regards my introducing her to butter as one of the greatest benefits of our relationship. We have two children.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah I've tried the olive stuff (parents eat & prefer it) and butter reigns supreme in my world.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Finally escaped house arrest, having had to do the full 11 days. Used my freedom to do a 5km walk at 7am.

And now back to the grindstone of working at home...

Edit: I use Olivio to reduce unhealthy fats in my diet, but the idea that they are superior to the lovely, lovely taste of butter is just bullshit talk.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 4, 2022

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Butter for cooking, marg for spreading. a healthy synthesis

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We're just pretending this post didn't happen, right?

I can't believe it's not better

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

For cooking related stuff I prefer LARD. Or beef dripping. I should try the latter spread on toast as well, tbf, proper old school like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

keep punching joe posted:

Actually checking the wiki article, and it actually looks like a good idea. I had a horrible mental image of it being all wet and gross like feta cheese.

Feta is great. I do wish it wasn't quite so damp, though.