Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009
Im 40 and got intimidated into getting driving lessons even though I have driven in San Francisco since my early 20s with a manual transmission. I actually passed my theory test today in Stockholm, and my practical is at the end of the month. I wanted to get the manual license but every other American I talked to here said it isn’t worth it. Even my driving instructor said don’t bother.

It seems like such such scam though. You get a fail if you drive 31 in a 30 zone. When you change lanes you need to look at your rear view, side mirror, blind spot, signal, then change. And if it’s out of order you fail. During the practical there’s a trick spot where the test instructor tells you to make a left turn on a country road. You aren’t supposed to do it because the road has poor visibility ahead. But you won’t know this unless you spend 10,000 sek for a driving school to point out all of this.

I’m a little bitter but honestly it’s been fun to go through all of this. I feel like I’m 16 again. Too bad I didn’t do this a couple of years ago when Unionen reimbursed driving lesson costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

I keep muttering that I'll get around to getting a license valid in this land of Swedes, but the written driver's exam just seems awful from the practice tests floating around online. There's such confounded gotcha questions, and then questions about emissions that have no pertinence to actually driving a car. It's a grating experience.

I started studying in November and passed my test today. I did buy the book and read through it twice and I used Mitt Körkort app. I took about 2 tests a day of 70 questions and was pretty confident about it. I was expecting more of the stopping distance calculation questions but didn’t get any of those. I assume that’s random though. If you need the book I’m happy to send it to you, or if you’re in Stockholm maybe it’s easier to hand it over in person. But if you use something like the Trafiko package it’s 499 for the ebook , physical book and test questions.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
I just traded my Ontario license for a Danish one. I got my Ontario license by trading in a Colorado one.

My Colorado license I spent maybe $200 on, got 100 on the multiple choice quiz and 98/100 on the in-car.

Didn't even ask me to parallel park so I did it anyhow.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Autistic Speculum posted:

I used Mitt Körkort app. I took about 2 tests a day of 70 questions and was pretty confident about it. I was expecting more of the stopping distance calculation questions but didn’t get any of those. I assume that’s random though. If you need the book I’m happy to send it to you, or if you’re in Stockholm maybe it’s easier to hand it over in person. But if you use something like the Trafiko package it’s 499 for the ebook , physical book and test questions.
This is what I'm talking about with electronic practice tests that aren't very similar to the real deal. I think I used the same app except the motorcycle version. Learned to do stopping distance calculations and memorised lots of numbers related to accidents and pollution. IIRC None of these things were on the practice tests available at the STR portal, and none were on the actual test either. If you know enough physics to tell kinetic energy apart from momentum that's all you really need for the brake distance questions I think.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Invalido posted:

Don't bother reading the book more than once, just cram dozens of practice tests, study up on what you got wrong until you pass them reliably and you'll pass the real one with margins first try. The really hard part to learn for me this last round at least was the finer points of parking rules, but knowing those will save you lots of money in avoided tickets in the long run.

Interesting to see that nothing have changed in the 20 years since I took my license.
As I recall, doing the practice tests plus getting lessons from a drive instructor that knew all the normal troublespots that you normally encountered during the practical test was enough. It is not like they invent a new test route for every student.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Cardiac posted:

Interesting to see that nothing have changed in the 20 years since I took my license.
As I recall, doing the practice tests plus getting lessons from a drive instructor that knew all the normal troublespots that you normally encountered during the practical test was enough. It is not like they invent a new test route for every student.

Yeah my pro riding instructor was like "let's practice this particular tight corner that cause lots of people to fail on the exam ride since they run wide or fail to notice the speed limit sign obscured by that bush". It didn't come up on the exam but still.
However, if I hadn't practiced the exact manoeuvring courses with the exact cone spacing about a hundred times at the traffic school that was on the exam ride I would have had to be a much better rider to pass. Then again the difficulty of the actual exams probably reflect this reality. Traffic schools are a bit like a cheat code. 2/3 of people coming from those pass first try compared to 1/3 of those who've practiced on their own.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

All this reminds me of when a friend was taking his licence. And he printed out 1000 questions from some website and just started memorizing them as a way to cheat.

Like.... That's not cheating. That's called studying.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mad dad (who got his license in the 70s) has outright admitted that he and a number of friends his age outright cheated on the written test, by getting hold of the pattern they used to quickly correct the tests with back then. The examiner in his town also would pass anyone who didn't wake him up during the practical examination.

He's a decent driver, but like a lot of people who were born before around 1990 or thereabouts he's really bad about indicating,.

Hundlaser
Jan 15, 2004

by Hand Knit
Yup, getting an app is definitely the pro way to pass the written driving test. I used iKörkort for both B and C but there are a bunch of similar ones. Just do practice questions instead of browsing these lovely dead forums on your downtime until you're consistently getting 90-95% and the fact that they're not exactly the same as the test questions won't matter.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

Autistic Speculum posted:

It seems like such such scam though. You get a fail if you drive 31 in a 30 zone. When you change lanes you need to look at your rear view, side mirror, blind spot, signal, then change. And if it’s out of order you fail.

Wow, really? The only instant fail I heard about in Norway is if you fail to yield to someone on the right side, or to a pedestrian, but I get that because someone could actually die if you don't do it.

Also, shouldn't you signal first? At least make the possibility of you switching lanes visible to others is what I thought.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Momonari kun posted:

Also, shouldn't you signal first? At least make the possibility of you switching lanes visible to others is what I thought.
Sight, signal, vehicle position is the order that's taught. If people actually looked thoroughly before turning or changing lanes lots of needless death could be avoided. Looking thoroughly actually takes a while though and usually involves moving your head so it's best to scan before you blink. Then it's enough to do a quick mirror glance before actually doing the maneuver to make sure nothing has changed in the last two seconds if you want to be extra safe.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.ekobrottsmyndigheten.se/fore-detta-bank-vd-atalas-for-grov-ekonomisk-brottslighet/

holy hell they're actually prosecuting swedbank's former CEO for swindlery and market manipulation. i thought the americanization had gone further than that

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Holy poo poo. 6 months to 6 years in prison for the swindlery (lol) alone if convicted. If the dude sees significant time behind bars is when I'll celebrate though.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Momonari kun posted:

Wow, really? The only instant fail I heard about in Norway is if you fail to yield to someone on the right side, or to a pedestrian, but I get that because someone could actually die if you don't do it.

Sound exaggerated to me tbh. I don't recall my examiner being particularly strict when I did my practical exam.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i can believe them being pretty strict in 30-zones, because 30-zones are usually dangerous. i don't buy 31, but i can absolutely see someone failing for going 35 in the 30-zone

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Did my first driving lesson today because I've been living in a city since I was 18 and never needed a license before. It was super tense. I expected us to start on a parking lot or something but it was on an industrial block with regular afternoon traffic. Learning how to drive manual with trucks, pedestrians and the occasional Tier scooter abandoned on the road was a lot for my noob driving brain to handle.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

V. Illych L. posted:

i can believe them being pretty strict in 30-zones, because 30-zones are usually dangerous. i don't buy 31, but i can absolutely see someone failing for going 35 in the 30-zone
Yeah, speeding in a 30-zone seems like a huge warning flag. I can understand (low level) speeding on some actual roads, but if you're doing it in a 30-zone you're basically telling the driving examiner that you haven't actually absorbed any of the lessons about driving safely.

I can see a reason for failing someone at 31 though, and that's the road conditions/design being so even 30 would actually be pushing it for safe driving. Like, if they're thinking "You really should be going 25 max here", then I don't really see the issue with failing them the moment they break the speed limit.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

It's a speed limit. Just drive 15 or 20 in the 30 zone.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

Well drivers in general suck at selecting the correct speed.
On highways I drive like 10-15 above the speed limit and generally I drive somewhat too fast on normal roads. Unless it is 30-40, which I will always follow.

It is a regular thing to see drivers driving at 60 on a 70 road and then continue to drive at 60 on a 50 road. The same goes for 90 to 70 as well.
Drivers in general suck at adopting their speed to the speed limit and keep on at the same speed. They also drive too fast at lower speeds, but there are fewer drivers that go too fast above 110.

For the practical test, respecting the speed limit is of course essential and is not particularly hard. Going to slow, however presents another set of problems however.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Feliday Melody posted:

It's a speed limit. Just drive 15 or 20 in the 30 zone.

I'm relatively sure you can actually lose your license in Sweden for driving too far beneath the speed limit without good reason.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

MiddleOne posted:

I'm relatively sure you can actually lose your license in Sweden for driving too far beneath the speed limit without good reason.

There 's no actual lower limit, but a driver may not "drive at exceedingly low speed, suddenly brake or in other ways impede other drivers on the road without a valid cause.".

Essentially, if everyone is driving at 80 and suddenly someone is driving 50 in a one-lane section there might be issues.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

MiddleOne posted:

True, but not doing 15 to 20 in a 30 zone.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

anatomi posted:

I'm 36 and I'm planning to get my driver's license this year.

Same here, I made it my nyårslöfte even!

My plan is to just go to the closest driving school here in Malmö, slam my credit card on the desk and say ”I am almost forty, I can not go around asking family members for skjuts anymore. Just make it happen.”

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer
It will probably cost me around one million sek but you can’t put a price on vuxenpoäng.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Essentially, if everyone is driving at 80 and suddenly someone is driving 50 in a one-lane section there might be issues.
Unless you're driving one of those immensely stupid "tractors" because then 30 is fine :argh:

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

If you have at least one friend with a car. Just go to an empty parking lot and drive around there, changing gears etc, for a few hours. Then do that several times until basic handling feels good.

That should save you several expensive driving lessons.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Invalido posted:

Unless you're driving one of those immensely stupid "tractors" because then 30 is fine :argh:

Strictly speaking you are not allowed to drive those everywhere, but it often seems to be overlooked by the cops.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Konec Hry posted:

Same here, I made it my nyårslöfte even!

My plan is to just go to the closest driving school here in Malmö, slam my credit card on the desk and say ”I am almost forty, I can not go around asking family members for skjuts anymore. Just make it happen.”

I’m 40 and in Malmö and doing pretty much exactly that right now. Let’s go!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Hoping to restart mine up again as covid made me skittish as hell

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Also can confirm that driving around a parking lot for a few hours to get used to the basic handling is probably a good idea if you have that option.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

lilljonas posted:

Did my first driving lesson today because I've been living in a city since I was 18 and never needed a license before. It was super tense. I expected us to start on a parking lot or something but it was on an industrial block with regular afternoon traffic. Learning how to drive manual with trucks, pedestrians and the occasional Tier scooter abandoned on the road was a lot for my noob driving brain to handle.

The first time I legally went with a motorcycle on the road in traffic I lasted about 25 minutes and then I was totally drained and only wanted to sleep. Luckily it was with my private handledare and I hadn't paid for two hours straight because that would have been wasted and probably dangerous.
Driving/riding is a super brain demanding activity full of sensory inputs. Then your learn to filter out stuff and automate other stuff and you'll last longer and longer concentration-wise and eventually get jaded with the whole thing. Brains are awesome that way but I kinda wish I could get that "holy poo poo I'm riding a motorcycle the sounds and vibrations and smells and speed oh poo poo a truck I don't want to die but this is amazing"-feeling every time.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

lilljonas posted:

Also can confirm that driving around a parking lot for a few hours to get used to the basic handling is probably a good idea if you have that option.

When I got my license that was the first thing I did with my instructor (though not for a few hours, more like 30 minutes to an hour), I also did it some times with my dad as well. It seemed like a good idea.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
https://www.berlingske.dk/samfund/journalister-fra-berlingske-og-andre-aviser-er-indkaldt-til-afhoering-om

Threatening journalists now. Nick Hækkerup must be fully erect.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can't help but think this is related to the announcement from "Tilsynet med Efterretningstjenesterne" in August 2020 that whistleblowers had reported some illegal stuff in FE. The investigative committee conveniently concluded in December that everything's fine, and right at the same time 4 employees get charged :nsallears:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Is this the famous Danish liberal freedom ideals I've been hearing of?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Those are only important for insulting minorities, making up statistics about how minorities are the cause of all crime and related race “science”. When it comes to anything else, weirdly none of the freedom of speech extremists are interested anymore.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

At least we still have the freedom to infect each other with a deadly pathogen (safely).

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, speeding in a 30-zone seems like a huge warning flag. I can understand (low level) speeding on some actual roads, but if you're doing it in a 30-zone you're basically telling the driving examiner that you haven't actually absorbed any of the lessons about driving safely.

I can see a reason for failing someone at 31 though, and that's the road conditions/design being so even 30 would actually be pushing it for safe driving. Like, if they're thinking "You really should be going 25 max here", then I don't really see the issue with failing them the moment they break the speed limit.

the thing is, dipping over 31 on the speedometer doesn't necessarily mean anything other than that you're around 31 km/h at speed - it's perfectly plausible in many cars that the speedometer says 31 km/h despite going 29 km/h or something. if someone's weirdly insistent on going exactly 31 in the 30-zone, sure, but i didn't get the impression that this was what was going on

that said, yeah i can get the point that a driver really *shouldn't* be going 30 km/h if you're in a twisted maze of a residential area with lots of kids and cars parked everywhere

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

V. Illych L. posted:

the thing is, dipping over 31 on the speedometer doesn't necessarily mean anything other than that you're around 31 km/h at speed - it's perfectly plausible in many cars that the speedometer says 31 km/h despite going 29 km/h or something. if someone's weirdly insistent on going exactly 31 in the 30-zone, sure, but i didn't get the impression that this was what was going on

that said, yeah i can get the point that a driver really *shouldn't* be going 30 km/h if you're in a twisted maze of a residential area with lots of kids and cars parked everywhere

But again. It's a speed limit. Not a speed requirement.

You don't have to skirt the edge of 30. Especially during a driver's exam.

You can just go 25 or 20, and it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Feliday Melody posted:

But again. It's a speed limit. Not a speed requirement.

You don't have to skirt the edge of 30. Especially during a driver's exam.

You can just go 25 or 20, and it's fine.
Yeah, that's exactly my point. If you go 25 in a 30 zone, you're signaling "I feel it's appropriate for me to not drive as fast as is allowed, given my experience/the conditions". If you go above the limit when there's literally someone there judging you on not only your technical ability, but how well you've absorbed the various concepts of safe driving, when you're supposed to be on the best behavior they can literally ever expect from you as a motorist, I can't really blame them for failing you on "minor" stuff.