Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
When is a chip just a roast potato? And vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

TACD posted:

It really is fascinating watching the whole party attempt to become a completely featureless blob of perfectly median opinions and feelings

The dartboard at Labour HQ has a political compass taped onto it

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

When is a chip just a roast potato? And vice versa.

It’s all about shape and acceptable amount of potato inside imo.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The chip vs. roast potato debate is a wedge issue.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E: ^^^^° :eyepop:

Please let's not apply the principles of Radical Sandwich Anarchy to chips. I don't need to be looking at a Pringle and wondering if it's really a roast potato

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I have one of these automatic-cleaning litter trays, originally bought in the beforetimes to try and stop the dog eating cat turds[1] while I was at work[2] but kept on despite the relative priciness of the trays because it really does reduce the litter smell to basically nothing within about ten minutes of being used. And also because I'm a deeply lazy person and a litter tray that just needs cleaning once a month would be worth ten times that to me.

[1] Labrador, nothing else really needs to be said, other than for a while I thought that she was developing a bladder problem because she was pissing on the doormat while I was at work - however I eventually realised she was eating the cat poo poo, which is of course made from the (loving expensive) special food he has to have to make him piss more because the poor little bastard almost died of a urinary blockage that was so painful it took two vials of ketamine to calm him down enough to even get him in the carrier to go to the vets. Turns out more than enough of the active ingredient was making it through his system to mean the dog's lovely warm mid-morning snack was making *her* piss more.
[2] I have a cat flap, but because there's a lot of other cats around who love to just loving wander in - seriously, I left the back door open on a hot day and found one of them taking a poo poo in the spare room - I got one of those electronic ones that work off the chip in his back to only let him in. However the clicking of the mechanism traumatised him enough that he won't go near it now even though I've taken the lock mechanism out (or, more likely, because he's realised it's much more fun to just make me get up and let him out).

Wait why do I have pets again?

re cat flap
Wouldn't work here. I only have two windows, both double-glazed, and between May and November fitted with mosquito/midge screens as I'm so near the river they are horrendous round here throughout summer. My front door opens into a corridor shared with a bunch of other flats.
poopiez (not poppiez)
Nowhere really either to clean out a litter tray, only my bath :(

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Jakabite posted:

It’s all about shape and acceptable amount of potato inside imo.

This is similar to how I make and got told I was making chip shaped roasties

But they're delicious so gently caress the chip police :colbert:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Some (bad) people put gravy on chips, does anyone put vinegar on roast potatoes? It should, fundamentally, be possible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, my dad, he'll put vinegar on anything though

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

feedmegin posted:

Not common in America, either, but you can find it in the Mexican aisle in big tubs labelled 'manteca' at room temperature. Probably not helpful in Finland, though.

Beef dripping, no chance. But over here they're, just, like, right next to the butter and marge, bit old fashioned maybe but I guess there are enough Boomers who grew up in the 50s around that all the supermarkets carry it.

I wish I could find both. I tried to render my own beef fat a few years ago (deep frying french fries) but it had an off flavor to it.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Some (bad) people put gravy on chips

I’ve largely avoided the Tesla-based jabs but this… this is unforgivable. You monster.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Chip-crust chat: Don't use flour, dust with semolina, it makes a much better crust. If you like that sort of thing.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sounds like something you'd have to eat with a towel over your head

i do that when i eat a whole bag of potato smiles

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
My oven chip method is to cut the potatoes to thin chips (around 1cm sq width/height), and par boil them for a couple of mins (or until the colour shifts from yellowy to a more uniform white). I then shallow fry them with olive oil in my wok in batches of 10 or so until the outer surface is light brown, and transfer onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Once all the chips have been shallow cooked, salt them and bung into the oven for 30 mins (or until the outsides are all golden brown). End result is fairly dry/crisp but with fluffy inside.

I use Maris Pipers.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

i do that when i eat a whole bag of potato smiles

To stare at a potato smilie is to apprehend the face of God

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I like to make wedges, I toss them in oil and spices and I bake them a long time on sheets, it's a bit of a PITA since I have to turn them a lot. But they come out great. I have a deep frier but I still like oven baked wedges.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Please let's not apply the principles of Radical Sandwich Anarchy to chips. I don't need to be looking at a Pringle and wondering if it's really a roast potato

Jakabite posted:

I’ve largely avoided the Tesla-based jabs but this… this is unforgivable. You monster.
:quebec:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jakabite posted:

Chip advice needed, goons.

So, the other day I made what I think might just be the perfect chip.

Boiled for longer than you'd think you'd need, skin on, in salty water, until the skin starts to fall off. Put the chipped potatoes in while the water is still cold though to ensure even cooking. Meanwhile heat duck fat in a baking tray in a fan oven at 200. Once chips are boiled, colander and shake vigorously. Leave to dry off for 10-15 minutes while the fat gets super hot and finish with a pat dry with kitchen roll. Then put em in the boiling hot fat and stick em in the oven for 25. Flip after 25 and leave for another 30. Take em out, onto a plate covered in kitchen roll, then pat dry again with kitchen roll. Is there anything, other than maybe some rosemary, I could be doing better? I really feel like I've got this down to a fine art but I'm always looking to improve my chip game.

Flour perhaps? It feels like it might be over kill as they're already very crispy. I might try with bigger spuds as the King Edwards I'm using do make a quite small chip.

Saving this for later

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

That’s a roast potato

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The roast potatoes I made last week were disappointing so I'm going to try your chip method but shape them like roasties.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jakabite posted:

Yeah, gravy is perfectly respectable on chips when curry sauce is not available.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
If you really need to get them mega crispy roll them in potato starch before the last fry. Its what chef's use to get a crisp on sweet potato fries. Otherwise just use a potato variety with high starch content.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I asked for a chip splash a while ago and they gave me the gravy in a little cup, so I put my fork in it and it literally stood up in the gravy, and then I drank the gravy when i had finished the chips.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That sounds like Bovril.

Not like "the gravy you make with Bovril", like they just scooped out some bovril into a cup.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It was definitely gravy but it was good chippy gravy which means that it was gelatinous.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Not even the Guardian seems to have noticed Keith's big relaunch, there is so little content they are just chucking it in with the Covid stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you think he just likes doing relaunches and he's blowing all the budget on pints and launches?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Three martini launch (into a cyclist)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Zalakwe posted:

Not even the Guardian seems to have noticed Keith's big relaunch, there is so little content they are just chucking it in with the Covid stuff.

Tbf I currently have COVID and it's the same symptoms as I get from listening to a Starmer speech

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1478356993400311826

he's so bad at this

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

josh04 posted:

Yeah, gravy is perfectly respectable on chips when curry sauce is not available.

This is why I could never bring myself to fully support the Northern Independence Party even ironically. Like human sacrifice and cannibalism some cultural norms are completely beyond the pale.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Only two flags? loving traitor

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Also, x-postinf this because it's just pure :ohno: from a master of the form

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nobody is stopping you from going out and licking doorknobs jenny.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Please stop talking about roasties and bread i'm trying to diet over here.

Oct 4, 2005

"Attlee, Wilson and Blair made Britain a better country."

Channeling Blair energy? Christ.

Also, Brown does not exist apparently.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Boomers are still furious at Brown for selling all the gold :bahgawd: and also he was personally at fault for the financial crash, can't scupper the crusty vote by having them remember that Brown existed.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
There is no money left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

1965917 posted:

"Attlee, Wilson and Blair made Britain a better country."

Channeling Blair energy? Christ.

Also, Brown does not exist apparently.

https://twitter.com/huffpostuk/status/1478275923199807488

lol