Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

didn't Karlsson get 50 goals or something in Vegas' inaugural season? This is like people trying to duplicate the MCU, that poo poo was lightning in a bottle and it ain't happening a second time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aces High posted:

didn't Karlsson get 50 goals or something in Vegas' inaugural season? This is like people trying to duplicate the MCU, that poo poo was lightning in a bottle and it ain't happening a second time

No one's saying that Vegas wasn't an outlier. We're all saying that Seattle shouldn't be only slightly better than Arizona and Buffalo from last season.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Aces High posted:

He did put up 43. Shooting a pretty unsustainable 23.5%. But the underlying metrics for Vegas started poorly, but then became very good. Seattle's underperforming their metrics by quite a bit, but those underlying numbers are still quite bad and even with league average goaltending I don't think they would be particularly competitive. Wild Bill also has followed that season with very adequate 55 point season and similar pace thereafter.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Between the lack of trades, the Gavin Bayreuther pick, and hiring Dave Hakstol, I think it's safe to say the Kraken are bad because they're run by idiots. Vegas was run by a group who did everything they could with all the crazy trades and side deals, like in other sports, to put their franchise in the position to win, and they continue to swing for the fences and take risks that hockey teams rarely do. Seattle spent the expansion draft acting like the GMs who are literally afraid to be the first GM to make a trade during the season.

Who was that GM a few years ago who had a non-playoff team and a veteran with an expiring contract, then made no move and said the deals just weren't there?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Zodijackylite posted:

Who was that GM a few years ago who had a non-playoff team and a veteran with an expiring contract, then made no move and said the deals just weren't there?

Jim Benning.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Repeatedly. Then other teams in similar situation, made plenty of good deals. This was then followed by overpaying for a rental, who then either turned out to be mostly useless, but resigned anyway, or if they happened to be actually useful and even wanting to take a discount (Toffoli), they were left to walk away.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Benning was absolutely terrible at every aspect of being a GM, but I do begin to suspect the not trading veterans for picks things was imposed by ownership and Benning kept his job so long entirely because he was willing to play along with Aquilini's delusions. "All this team needs is a good break or two and we can win the Cup, boss!" The fact they hired Jim "I like to take Draft Day off" Rutherford to replace him certainly adds weight to this theory.

The Canucks are probably going to continue to be comically incompetent for a long time to come, because you can't fire the owner. :sigh:

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/CBCScott/status/1478076846990364676

NO MORE FREE ARENA!!!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Quebec Flames

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Quebec Flames

I think you mean the Houston Flaming Coyotes.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
bring back the atlanta thrashers flames you cowards

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
how long can the flames stay in the saddledome? (until it collapses on them again?)

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
It's a little moist from when it flooded but that cleaned out the rodeo smell... It's fine.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Levitate posted:

how long can the flames stay in the saddledome? (until it collapses on them again?)

11 more years

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1478161299213361155

:lol:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Stiev Awt posted:

11 more years

What are the squatters rights like in Canada... asking for a hockey team friend.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

6’7” 209 lbs

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Benning was absolutely terrible at every aspect of being a GM, but I do begin to suspect the not trading veterans for picks things was imposed by ownership and Benning kept his job so long entirely because he was willing to play along with Aquilini's delusions. "All this team needs is a good break or two and we can win the Cup, boss!" The fact they hired Jim "I like to take Draft Day off" Rutherford to replace him certainly adds weight to this theory.

The Canucks are probably going to continue to be comically incompetent for a long time to come, because you can't fire the owner. :sigh:

Do not give him any benefit of the doubt. The Canucks were like 20 pts out at the 2016 deadline with Hamhuis and Vrbata set to be UFAs. Benning had an agreement in place to trade Hamhuis to Dallas for a 2nd and a couple players, waited too long to okay it and it fell apart. The deadline passed with him trading neither player. His excuse was he wasn't just going to trade a guy for less than he was thought he was worth because other GMs would lowball him in the future. So the Canucks got nothing and he then spent the next five years being repeatedly conned by other GMs in a never ending stream of laughably one sided deals.

The dude was an idiot. Aquilini is a meddling boob of an owner, but Benning owns every last God awful decision he made.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The New York Rangers are good and have been a ton of fun to watch these last 4 games.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
The Flames might leave Calgary but the Oilers might leave...their FANS IN THE LURCH

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
KENNY HOLLAND, HOCKEY HALL OF FAMER

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mennoknight posted:

The Flames might leave Calgary but the Oilers might leave...their FANS IN THE LURCH

Is that where the Oilers' new arena is?

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

eXXon posted:

Is that where the Oilers' new arena is?

The

Large
Useful
Rink of
Canadian
Hockee

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/soIoucity/status/1477431191414390792
Man I would love to be recognized by Jon Hamm

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1478093023661760514

hurray

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

The fact they hired Jim "I like to take Draft Day off" Rutherford to replace him certainly adds weight to this theory.

To be fair, Rutherford did say in the first press conference something to the effect of "this team isn't even close to the mid-10s Penguins, of course I'm going to run it differently"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ATFulemin/status/1478382360257306626

mods name change me to Ales Hemsky (bad)

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
god i hope some oilers fans think that's real and latch onto it. as an oilers fan myself for 30 years i'm selling my season tickets until they make a real change.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Oilers are gonna get smoked tomorrow and Tippett is gonna get fired.

But instead of hiring the bright and creative AHL coach, they're gonna bring in fuckin Babcock who will play Connor and Leon 17 minutes a night.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
PLEASE let them promote Glen Gulutzan. PLEASE. I am SO HARD

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1478392120683773952

I mean, Tarasov has played well in his limited ice time if he can go in net, but :tif:.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's weird that this team sport can have two of the best players by any metric in the sport and still be bad

It's probably their fault

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe if they stopped running the team like Gretzky was still on the roster they'd be doing better.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

Maybe if they stopped running the team like Gretzky was still on the roster they'd be doing better.

I'm not a superstitious man but it seems likely Edmonton received a powerful curse when they shipped Gretzky out
and rightfully so

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHLhistorygirl/status/1478383215328985088

I know one of you has the old rink diagram with the Patrik Stefan Trail Of Tears please post it ITT

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm not a superstitious man but it seems likely Edmonton received a powerful curse when they shipped Gretzky out
and rightfully so

They won another cup a year later.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

They won another cup a year later.

It was a delayed curse
exacerbated by them pissing off and then having to trade Jari Kurri

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Incubation period.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

But instead of hiring the bright and creative AHL coach, they're gonna bring in fuckin Babcock who will play Connor and Leon 17 minutes a night.

Do you mean their AHL coach, or are you referring to another one? I had to look it up and the Condors' coach is...Jay Woodcroft? I guess it makes sense given the transition of Todd McLellan's staff into the Edmonton org, I just never would have described him as "bright" or "creative" in his time as video coach for the Sharks. Has he gotten better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
To this day I still don't know what Pang Ray Ferraro thought Stefan was doing that he should be ashamed. The puck just hit a clump of snow and bounced over his stick.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 4, 2022