Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I think that's due to NAND flash oversupply (caused by early COVID shortages).

also high-spec pcie3 drives being cleared out at a discount since pcie4 drives took their place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Whoa, a new $200 GPU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Grapplejack posted:

Whoa, a new $200 GPU

I want to go to there

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
looks like 5800x is indeed the only zen3 cpu getting 3d cache

zen4 2nd half of 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
man, i don't know why i expected their 3d cache cpu's to have more cores than this, but this is not the hedge against intel's push i thought it'd be

not sure whether i'll do an am4 upgrade of my cpu if that's it

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I guess supply constraints so do the CPU that has one chiplet. 5900X or 5950X would require two chiplets to be stacked with the extra cache, and 5600X isn't premium enough. Guess it's a mind-share halo product rather than a mass seller.

Disappointing lack of info about Zen4, other than it can boost to 5GHz all core.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The comparisons to the 12900k are making me think that the 3d cache chips will be pricey.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Pablo Bluth posted:

I guess supply constraints so do the CPU that has one chiplet. 5900X or 5950X would require two chiplets to be stacked with the extra cache, and 5600X isn't premium enough. Guess it's a mind-share halo product rather than a mass seller.

Disappointing lack of info about Zen4, other than it can boost to 5GHz all core.
And having only one chiplet means no CCX latency for synthetic benchmarks I guess. As a pure gaming recommendation, it's fine, but it's just ironic for the multicore company to now stick to 8C.

I was looking forward to seeing what 3D cache might mean for interconnect performance.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Bluth posted:

I remember way way back in this thread when some youtuber was claiming that Zen 2 would have been able to do this

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Imagine going back to 2018 and saying AMD has the fastest gaming CPU but it sacrifices cores and application performance compared to similarly priced Intel options. Topsy turvy.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

LGA as expected, no more accidentally yanking the CPU out of the socket

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
do they usually announce cpu prices at these things? does the lack of a 5800x3d price tag imply it's not gonna be pretty?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Rinkles posted:

do they usually announce cpu prices at these things? does the lack of a 5800x3d price tag imply it's not gonna be pretty?
I wouldn't have expected a price until the full launch, which will be probably 7 days before availability. They did announce a price for the RX 6500 XT but that's much closer to launch and the market is screaming for any affordable GPU at the moment.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I might just pick up the 5950x to upgrade from my 2700x. This machine will eventually become a server, anyway.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Rinkles posted:

they're not going to announce prices before intel do, especially with intel being in a position where they'll probably be more competitive than in a long time

intel's event in 1h22m

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Can I mail them my 5800x so they can glue some cache on it? I'll pay for shipping!

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Anandtech with very reasonable analysis on why only the 5800X: https://www.anandtech.com/show/17152/amd-cpus-in-2022-ces

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
looking forward to the ryzen 5800X3======D

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Gimme da 5900X3D

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
dumb dumbs, increase the drat model number by X

Don't add in XL, MEGACHAD, whatever.. lame.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'll wait to see how the pricing shakes out over time, but a 5800X3D RAGEMODE does seem like it would be a decent last AM4 upgrade over my 3600X.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

More game performance you say? Should've gone with 5800X3DNow!

Better late than never. :laugh:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I like that you can use am4 coolers with am5, that'll save some pennies

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Overall the announcement is a damp squib (for desktop anyway, I didn't listen to any of the laptop stuff). Not much we didn't already know. I was expecting at least a firm date for the 3D cache chips.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I finally got a hold of a 5900x to upgrade from a 3900xt. I sort of didn't buy memory quite right and it's 4000mhz. After a bunch of tries in increments leading up to it I got it to boot at 4000mhz and 2000 fclk.

Everything has tested OK for my uses so far, though I need to do more. Sometimes, though, when booting up it halts and clocks the memory and IF back down. Is this likely just the ram or motherboard being finicky (It's the Asus TUF x570-Plus, which I know is on the budget side of things). I have it all set to the XMP profile for memory at 1.4v and no changes to CPU stuff other than the 2000 fclk. A couple resets later it'll boot OK or I put it at 1966fclk/3933mhz, boot into Windows, reset, put it back to 2000 and then it'll work without issue after many reboots and days. Or maybe I'm doing all of this wrong.

Now I need to try to sell the 3900xt I was using this year while trying to get a 59xx series, so hopefully there's still an easy market for them.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Overall the announcement is a damp squib (for desktop anyway, I didn't listen to any of the laptop stuff). Not much we didn't already know. I was expecting at least a firm date for the 3D cache chips.

Laptop stuff is legitimately exciting if you're an ultraportable user who likes games.

Been waiting for someone not apple to make a good igpu for awhile.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

AzureSkys posted:

Everything has tested OK for my uses so far, though I need to do more. Sometimes, though, when booting up it halts and clocks the memory and IF back down. Is this likely just the ram or motherboard being finicky (It's the Asus TUF x570-Plus, which I know is on the budget side of things). I have it all set to the XMP profile for memory at 1.4v and no changes to CPU stuff other than the 2000 fclk. A couple resets later it'll boot OK or I put it at 1966fclk/3933mhz, boot into Windows, reset, put it back to 2000 and then it'll work without issue after many reboots and days. Or maybe I'm doing all of this wrong.

If it were me, I'd just keep it at 1966/3933 permanently.

Alternatively, try 1.405v or 1.41v and see if the problem goes away. I don't think you can avoid having the board retrain the memory if it fails diagnostics on boot.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SP5 server chip spotted

thats a big boy

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Yeah, the announcement that only the 5800x would get the 3D cache led me to reserving a 5950x at Microcenter. Going to go pick it up today.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

repiv posted:

SP5 server chip spotted

thats a big boy

Oh hell yeah

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
gonna make mad bank with a thermal paste trowel

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Pretty soon we won't need to cut the wafer up anymore

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Icept posted:

Pretty soon we won't need to cut the wafer up anymore

some AI company is already doing chips that fill an entire wafer

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16626/cerebras-unveils-wafer-scale-engine-two-wse2-26-trillion-transistors-100-yield

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

yeah they basically just have a mesh topology (like the mesh interconnect Intel uses in Skylake-X and Skylake-SP) and they just turn off the cells with defects and route around them.

at a smaller scale, I actually met a guy at an IEEE conference who was working on the software for the Epiphany co-processors used in the Parallela SBCs. Same kinda thing, it's basically a square grid of RISC cores that can pass messages along an x- or y-direction. Anyway basically the Ephiphany-III was a 4x4 grid which yielded well enough but the Epiphany-IV was 8x8 and the Epiphany-V was a 32x32 grid and at that point they couldn't get full yields, so they pursued the same kind of solution where a couple cores would be turned off and you'd have to route around them. Also they could then stack the chips themselves into grids to scale even further. Similar to Intel, the IO blocks were on the edges of the mesh.

It kinda sounded like the applications were some of the same kinds of things that DSPs do, heavy numeric crunching, but I assume there were some advantages of doing that vs just a DSP. Obviously still needs the program to be seriously contorted (MPI, and you need to route the program data processing flow along that grid, or at least pass the messages) to make it work, but kinda neat.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1610.01832.pdf

https://www.adapteva.com/docs/epiphany_arch_ref.pdf

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 5, 2022

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

That's wild lol

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Dropping in with an anecdote: I tried to flash my ASRock Rack X470D4U BMC this week and it completely poo poo the bed. I assumed I was well out of warranty but submitted a ticket anyway, and after a bit of diagnostics they just told me tonight that they're sending me a new preflashed BMC chip. Super happy with the support and though I'm glad this means I don't have to buy a whole new mobo right now, I'll definitely look at ASRock Rack products whenever I upgrade this machine.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Dropping in with an anecdote: I tried to flash my ASRock Rack X470D4U BMC this week and it completely poo poo the bed. I assumed I was well out of warranty but submitted a ticket anyway, and after a bit of diagnostics they just told me tonight that they're sending me a new preflashed BMC chip. Super happy with the support and though I'm glad this means I don't have to buy a whole new mobo right now, I'll definitely look at ASRock Rack products whenever I upgrade this machine.

The BMC EEPROM is actually socketed? Big if true.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

SamDabbers posted:

The BMC EEPROM is actually socketed? Big if true.

Sure is. I was disproportionately happy to see that.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Can I be the stupid one here and mention that I returned my 12900k and stopgap solution RAM + stopgap solution motherboard to wait for the 5800X3D? I at least picked up the X570 mobo & mem sticks that I know that I want this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Too bad little was said about Zen4. I'd like to hear more about PCIe lane availability. I really doubt that the added 300 pins are just power delivery and some pins for video.