Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Polo-Rican posted:

It's apparently less taps to launch "theater" and "arcade" than it is to turn on your loving windshield wipers lol

https://twitter.com/vecchitto/status/1478070396792590337?t=dOJJkgTOt-Yuc-iTiSUoqw&s=19

where's the app that plays Taps when you get into a car accident while fiddling with your console?

vyelkin posted:

rich people already have flying cars, they're called helicopters and they use them to avoid traffic and occasionally they crash and explode

helicopters have killed more executives than any leftist movement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

where's the app that plays Taps when you get into a car accident while fiddling with your console?

They deprecated that feature when they added the new feature of your battery cooking off and cremating you and any incriminating evidence.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cup Runneth Over posted:

lol i was just about to post this. sad state of the left when fragile flying turbines have to do your dirty work for you and they aren't even class aware

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Xaris posted:

lol i was just about to post this. sad state of the left when fragile flying turbines have to do your dirty work for you and they aren't even class aware

It's not dirty work so much as their own decadent, indulgent lifestyles catching up to them in a way that cannot be bought off or threatened like usual.

Like when street racers end up slamming into a wall. It's not the same as if I were out there with a spike strip or a paintball gun at 2am waiting for them, the wall is just a wall, the racers own lifestyle catching up with him in a way pointing guns or getting their friends to intimidate people can't fix.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

e: and marines

That's what the Osprey is for.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
these cars are makin me thirsty

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Av-Gas doesn't have to have lead in it, but the FAA hasn't mandated a change so it always will and apparently this is all fine.

quote:

FAA agreed to begin the search for an alternative fuel, although the agency acknowledged a hurdle to the process. “No market-driven reason exists to move to a replacement fuel due to the limited size of the avgas market, diminishing demand, the specialty nature of avgas, [and the] safety, liability and the investment expense involved in a comprehensive approval and deployment process.”

Sorry, the rich people hobby, for rich people, is just too expensive to change, plus it'll take a long time, so why even bother?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Helicopters are the most effective green technology to date

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

yet another reason to hate cars

Spime Wrangler posted:

no idea if these numbers are right or where they came from, but they sound true

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

yet another reason to hate cars

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/03/coho-salmon-pollution-car-tires-die-off

quote:

Samples taken from urban streams around Puget Sound, near Seattle, and subsequent laboratory work identified a substance called 6PPD, which is used as a preservative for car tires, as the toxic chemical responsible for killing the salmon. It’s currently unclear how it kills the fish but McIntyre said it was likely to be an “acute cardio-respiratory problem”.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Fewer cars? No, more death!

quote:

This summer, federal authorities gave permission for a cull of hundreds of sea lions along the Columbia River basin in a desperate attempt to save declining numbers of Chinook and sockeye salmon.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/debdrens/status/1478333713272512514?s=20

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If you get stuck in a situation like that, don't forgot to keep your exhaust pipe clear of snow - you wouldn't want to be breathing the toxic fumes your car is producing!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

pointsofdata posted:

Fewer cars? No, more death!

The sea lions have learned that dams are basically a massive salmon buffet as the salmon have to queue up to climb the fish ladders so they can get upstream to breed.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

pointsofdata posted:

If you get stuck in a situation like that, don't forgot to keep your exhaust pipe clear of snow - you wouldn't want to be breathing the toxic fumes your car is producing!

Tim Kaine posted a photo where he's stuck 12 inches from a semi's tailpipe and wedged between two other semis... dude's life expectancy probably dropped 5 years in one day

https://twitter.com/timkaine/status/1478357477158756352/photo/1

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

https://twitter.com/mayonnaise_soup/status/1478334148808953875

thats right :c00lbert:

same to you tim kaine, gently caress off

you voted for cuts to infrastructure and rail and ur bitching about getting stuck in traffic miraculously for once in your life that barely passes as your only kind of accountability but you won't be self aware enough for it

hope you suffer long and hard because the hours people have had to use to commute in perilous conditions doesn't even come close to your 1 day bitchfest

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

Tim Kaine posted a photo where he's stuck 12 inches from a semi's tailpipe and wedged between two other semis... dude's life expectancy probably dropped 5 years in one day

:sickos:

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

They cut the transportation budget

We did regret this

:(

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Polo-Rican posted:

Their solution to all the traffic in VA was not to expand the metro or bus service but rather to expand all the highways.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

skooma512 posted:

They cut the transportation budget

We did regret this

:(

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Their solution to all the traffic in VA was not to expand the metro or bus service but rather to expand all the highways.

here in DC we should really think about how our choices are enabling this. virginia is gonna do some stupid poo poo, even though some of their recent rail choices have been reasonably ambitious by american standards, but all of this traffic flowing from nova to the district is made possible by our parking minimums and the lack of congestion taxes and the fact that every inch of this loving city is given over to cars. it's time to cut virginians off, not because we hate them but because we love them and can't stand to see them in the throes of car dependency that we keep enabling.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Polo-Rican posted:

Where do you think a semi's tailpipe is? Can you circle it on the anti-abortionist senator's picture?

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

it's those 4 glowing red circles on the back there (they're glowing because of exhaust fume heat) not reading replies thank you

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

vyelkin posted:

lol

on the one hand: I love this thread and I love this gangtag and I want to reward everyone itt for making such a wonderful thing
on the other hand: the admins have told us not to just give gangtags to everybody who asks, which means if I go overboard they might decline them and then nobody gets one

as a compromise, I will queue this gangtag for the first ten posters who quote this post AND post their favourite bit of car-hating content

it can be whatever you want, a meme, a joke, a quotation, a picture, but please post something good so that the thread gets an avalanche of good content in exchange for the gangtags!

if you aren't part of the speedy ten I'm afraid this means you might have to spend the $5 to get the tag on your own

too late don't care

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I appreciate this visual representation of the minimum stopping distance of this vehicle at 30MPH as represented in children crossing the street

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I appreciate this visual representation of the minimum stopping distance of this vehicle at 30MPH as represented in children crossing the street

A bigger car lets me see everything better :D

And see children directly in front of your grille worse. Splattered a bunch over my hood, but it was an accident and I have a right to drive!

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cup Runneth Over posted:

isn't this from one of those tests to see how far the front blindspot extends on giant cars?

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/timkaine/status/1478462778834833408

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

good, vote for mass transit next time

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

the sad thing is this road infrastructure probably isn't even cheaper than real transit would be if you think longer than a couple years!!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I showed this to my wife and she just said "good" lol

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

zegermans posted:

too late don't care

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

cool av posted:

the sad thing is this road infrastructure probably isn't even cheaper than real transit would be if you think longer than a couple years!!

it costs like $3 million/mile or something absurd to build a 2 lane road

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

zegermans posted:

too late don't care

Cup Runneth Over posted:

that's actually not correct. it should be about double to triple of that (about 5-6 car lengths). real practical stopping distance @ 30 mph is closer to 75 feet which would be approximately 20-30 something children

but also depends on weight of car, quality and type of brakes

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Xaris posted:

that's actually not correct. it should be about double to triple of that (about 5-6 car lengths). real practical stopping distance @ 30 mph is closer to 75 feet which would be approximately 20-30 something children

but also depends on weight of car, quality and type of brakes

I read it as sight distance. Ie if a kid was in that zone the driver wouldn't even know to brake. They would probably just hear a small thump.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

:perfect:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/chron/status/1478422222482124802?s=20