Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
https://twitter.com/Hoganmag/status/1478368871170068483

It's really weird to see these. Look at those stocky proportions! and the feminist politics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: How Kevin Met Kell(y) (April 11-17, 2005)

Hey now. Vegetables should be crunchy, not mushy, after being cooked.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
I sure didn't expect to see that in newspapers, but I'm excited to see where this goes.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Strontium posted:

I sure didn't expect to see that in newspapers, but I'm excited to see where this goes.

That's part of the joy of Kwaanza, you never know what's going on to happen in Curtis.
Billingsly's greatest strength is drawing the exaggerated and weird. It's something that you forget because he's quite happy to spend most of his time in a rut, but when he wants to fire it up, the guy can really cartoon.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"baseball-sized" is kind of a poo poo descriptor to include in what is intended to be a traditional fable

I do love Kwanzaa Curtis though

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 06, 1949)

I am super excited for these three knuckleheads to be questing

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

ronya posted:

Would Oom Fooyat sound like an East Asian name to a 1950s audience in a Fu Manchu kind of way, or is that just a coincidence

Your guess is as good as mine, but he couldn't read the Chinese writing on the jar. It might just be a silly fantasy name. :shrug: I didn't read the coming story closely looking for this sort of thing, but I don't think we get any details on his background that would answer the question.

EBB posted:

I'm just happy Gawain is back for a while. :allears:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dykes to Watch Out For #145, Alison Bechdel (1992)

Occasionally Bechdel does these strips where the characters break, uh... character and interact like they're actors in the story or even collaborators in the plot, in tense labor disputes with Bechdel. It's a cute gag and allows Bechdel a bit of room for cynicism and snark in a comic rather stuffed, after all, with very idealistic and pretty earnest characters in some ways.

Since it has been awhile, I'll reintroduce some of the players:
-The short-haired woman in the bottom row of page one is Yoshi, one of Ginger's students, who is having a fling with Lois.
-The woman with the headband is Jezanna, the owner of the bookstore some of the characters work at.
-The woman with the short unruly blonde hair on page two is Harriet, Mo's aforementioned ex.
-The woman with long hair and glasses is Thea, another employee at the bookstore. She has MS and there's a subplot about Mo having a crush on her.
- I have no idea who the woman talking about Passover is which I guess is the joke.

The trans joke makes me cringe but 1992 was a foreign country. There's a recurring pattern in DTWOF in which an issue or identity comes to increased prominence in the lesbian world, Bechdel initially maybe fumbles her handling of the issue, but then gradually brings a more nuanced approach presumably as she educates herself about the subject. We'll see this take place with bisexuality and we'll (eventually) see it take place with trans and genderqueer characters too, and by the late 90s Bechdel will have shifted from being kind of the unofficial cartoonist-in-residence of the Michigan Womyn's Festival to a vocal critic of its trans-exclusionary policies. This was definitely not an unusual trajectory by any means.

As we can see here, Bechdel is pretty self-aware about writing as a more or less able-bodied white lady, and the temptation to flatten or tokenize characters from other subject positions. And to be sure Thea at this point has not been that engaging of a character, as one of many in what's by now a pretty big ensemble cast. But she'll continue working on that too.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Green Intern posted:

I laughed at a Luann comic today.

Oh, good. I was afraid it was just me.

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

I dunno. Why don't you try it with the mixer running next time and see if it works any better that way?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zofie's World

Herman the Heathen

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

We see him constantly in different jobs and at the temp agency. How is that not looking for work????

Absolute Boomer brain.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Plus he's hanging out with that child because he's in the Big Brother program, it's literally volunteer work

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

davidspackage posted:

I'm sure that, if Estelle tells Wilbur she doesn't want to get married (yet), he will be mature and rational about it.
Oh I'm sure you're ri—

:ughh:

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Not gonna lie, RMMD barely survived staying on my list of comics past the New Year and I'm starting to think I made the wrong choice.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Oh I'm sure you're ri—

:ughh:

Push him overboard. Nobody will ever know.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EBB posted:

Or care, for that matter

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

And thus Mary Worth history is made.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

pictured: "people drawn to one another to learn lessons necessary for growth"

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

For the people in this thread who are scanning old comic books: What do you use?

I've been advised that flatbed scanners are a poor tool for the job, and trying to find more information about the alternatives.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

EBB posted:

Expect some serious Mr. Magoo-action from our vaguely competent necromancer.

The name, I figure, was the weirdest thing Hal Foster could come up with that his readers (mostly kids) could actually sorta pronounce.

Likely he never sampled peyote or shrooms, and LSD didn't really exist outside of Sandoz' labs.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

EBB posted:

Endless Mike posted:

Or care, for that matter

Seriously the railing is right there practically taunting us.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nostalgamus posted:

For the people in this thread who are scanning old comic books: What do you use?

I've been advised that flatbed scanners are a poor tool for the job, and trying to find more information about the alternatives.
I have access to one of these:

They take fairly high-res photos of the pages from above with even lighting, and they usually do a decent job of straightening out any bends in the image from spine curvature, although it's a bit hit or miss. Some models have additional features like a glass plate that presses the pages flat. If you have a university or scientific library around you, they'll probably have one that you can use, and public libraries may as well.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Calaveron posted:

Plus he's hanging out with that child because he's in the Big Brother program, it's literally volunteer work

people in this topic keep saying that but it's never been said any time in the strip people just made that up

irregardless volunteer work is worthless to Ed because it doesn't make money

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EBB posted:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

you broke my grill posted:

people in this topic keep saying that but it's never been said any time in the strip people just made that up

I remember it being explicit in the strip a long time ago, but I am absolutely not going to dig through Dustin archives to find evidence.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

NRVNQSR posted:

I remember it being explicit in the strip a long time ago, but I am absolutely not going to dig through Dustin archives to find evidence.

I thought it might have been in the official bios, but no luck. Relatedly, which one of you wrote the Dustin Wikipedia page? The character descriptions have some very clear fingerprints.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

We have always been at war with Charterstone.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Potsticker posted:

We see him constantly in different jobs and at the temp agency. How is that not looking for work????

Absolute Boomer brain.

Much to my chagrin, I've learned in the past couple of years that there's at least some contingent of (white, male) boomers and gen-Xers that seem convinced that "looking for work" is equal to "harassing someone at a business until they see your go-getter attitude and give you the job you deserve." I'm guessing Kelley thinks working temp or agency jobs is more or less equivalent to welfare, since you're not cold-calling Fortune 500 companies and giving them a hard-sell on why they can't live without you. Or something, I dunno, guy is clearly quite stupid

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

End Chapter 5!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I've been sick for the past week or so, which gives me a fashionably late entrance with my lineup of comics from the past.

Boondocks is like Bloom County, except with a young radical instead of a talking penguin, and a black Marylander's perspective instead of a white Texan's. There may be other differences, who can tell. It ran from 1996 to 2006.

Retail is about how working in retail is a living hell. It ran from 2006 to 2020.

Popular Comics is a comic book (in the very literal sense). It collected popular comics of the time, hence the name. It ran from 1936 to 1948.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oprah is responsible for Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil, so maybe suing her for things is the right course of action.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"You've spent ten years developing the concept of 'two dogs'?"

quote:

Not gonna lie, RMMD barely survived staying on my list of comics past the New Year and I'm starting to think I made the wrong choice.

No, keep posting it! It's fun to hate.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Calaveron posted:

Also probably part of being on assistance. Constantly ob searching and doing volunteer work. God forbid they pay you tho they'll find you work but you'll be "paid" in food stamps or whatever you're receiving from the state.

e;
scrolling past this strip and discussion of it is hard

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

Love is Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

And that’s it for Classic Zits! I have a fun replacement coming in…but in the meantime, I must ask for your patience. I’m way behind on my scans and have made a complete mess of my albums, so I’m gonna take a wee break to sort everything and be back on the weekend. Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online Animals is a Tuesday/Thursday newspaper comic by K.C. Green, some nobody only famous for co-commentating on a Duck Dynasty Lets Play one time. The general framework is that it's about a collection of past characters from previous webcomics/projects working together at an online content company run by Question Hound (or the This Is Fine Dog if you only know Green's stuff from his pervasive online meme popularity). Or, like today, it focuses on something completely unrelated because it can. There's canon and storylines sometimes but otherwise it tends to be loose and continuity mostly just exists for running gags/"oh yeah this happened". It's a mixed bag of content and while not divisive it is hit or miss and tends to go unremarked upon. Mostly I'm just glad Green has a steady gig with a side bonus of making a lot of lovely comics site commenters be very confused and mad that Bimbo & The Greek or some other saccharine racist thing with big tits is no longer running and this took its spot.

And The Waitress Is Practicing Politics, As Funny Online Animals Slowly Get Stoned