Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

These dumb wankers. Surely they will quickly rebuild an awesome civilization from the surviving Siberian villages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The article was a great read, but it's slightly alarming what kind of quotes exist in the Russian security sphere. I don't know the background, but it does not seem like these things are being said just by hypernationalist internet randos.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

There is certainly some truth to the claim that if the US was to withdraw from NATO/Europe the hostility would just shift towards European states sooner or later. Russia ordering public assassinations and cyberattacks in Berlin, in what is perceived as one of the most russophile European countries, shows their blatant disregard for our sovereignty. We are certainly not any less "contaminated" by the LGBT/BLM mentality (lmao) that is so abhorrent to the current Russian government.

Seems like the only way to not have Russia assassinate your residents in the streets is to have strong deterrents. AFAIK they never tried that poo poo on US soil. Russophilia does jackshit.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It sells more cars, actually, and power plant turbines :getin:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm going to guess that Konstantin "Blow up Yellowstone for maximum damage" Sivkov isn't someone to take seriously? It would be sound policy to continue to keep him away from the controls

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 4, 2022

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Grouchio posted:

I'm going to guess that Konstantin "Blow up Yellowstone for maximum damage" Sivkov isn't someone to take seriously? It would be sound policy to continue to keep him away from the controls

Without having looked up the context, that’s loving hilarious to me. Yes, let’s bomb one of the least densely populated parts of the lower 48 and hope it triggers the stupid super volcano. This is something a person who talks to the press comes up with. Okay.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Without having looked up the context, that’s loving hilarious to me. Yes, let’s bomb one of the least densely populated parts of the lower 48 and hope it triggers the stupid super volcano. This is something a person who talks to the press comes up with. Okay.

Konstantin “Russian supertorpedo can hit Eastern Seaboard, triggering a 1500 ft tsunami wave and an intense radiation blast to eradicate life within 1000 miles of the Eastern Coast” Sivkov is a known character. PhD in military politology, works for think tanks about nukes and politics, and likes to opine about nuclear warfare as an option in every single conflict. Back when Russia invaded Ukraine, he was doing rounds with an “explainer” how Russia could turn Germany into a nuclear desert in the event of German bombers launching American nukes into Ukraine.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Well I'm sorry if he doesn't strike you as credible, but perhaps instead of negativity you should tell us what Bond villains can do for employment between films? There used to be a new 007 movie every year or two years, now you have to wait five years!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

They can't mean their opinions about nuking everyone except for Evenks seriously, because it would mean losing their gold plated toilet seats.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
we interrupt your regularly-scheduled Ukraine clancychat with news from _very_ eastern europe (go figure, D&D doesn't have a central asia thread, so this gets to be the de facto FSU thread) to bring you large street protests and (attempted) storming of government offices in Kyrgyzs--wait no, it's Kazakhstan for once! the government lifted price caps on fuel, causing them to jump sharply

https://twitter.com/b_nishanov/status/1478423058645925896

https://twitter.com/joannalillis/status/1478408142983774208

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 4, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Having done business in Kazakhstan, this can get really ugly really quickly. :stonklol:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
From what I've read, an interesting part of political demands is that all power from ex-president Nazarbaev should be fully transitioned to current president Tokaev, whom Nazarbaev himself picked as his successor. So in a way, it's a loyalist uprising. I am, however, not very knowledgeable about Kazakhstan's politics, so I don't know if it's really something the majority of protestors demand, and what it actually means in terms of how different political clans interact there.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

They're protesting fuel prices but I see many of them driving SUVs :smug:

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Having done business in Kazakhstan, this can get really ugly really quickly. :stonklol:

I do hope it might not have maybe :nws:, not sure

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VoltairePunk posted:

I do hope it might not have

While video requires proper confirmation, draft post did include a Tianmen comparison.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nenonen posted:

They're protesting fuel prices but I see many of them driving SUVs :smug:

They're protesting the fact that they have to drive sedans to keep up with the costs. The G wagon will have to rust in the kazak desert

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Can you explain this thought?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Xerxes17 posted:

High fuel prices will impact potassium exports

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xerxes17 posted:

My experience with their government, during Nazarbaev presidency, was that they’re quite eager to escalate conflicts with domestic actors.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Or really good really quickly, as in "army crumpled and govt resigning power tomorrow" quickly :getin:

https://twitter.com/Archer83Able/status/1478473906126311430
https://twitter.com/theragex/status/1478507538945646594

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 5, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Or really good really quickly, as in "army crumpled and govt resigning power tomorrow" quickly :getin:

https://twitter.com/Archer83Able/status/1478473906126311430
https://twitter.com/theragex/status/1478507538945646594

That too, they're no slouch in that sense - I'd just expect more violence from their political elite than I did from, e.g., Yanukovych.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The power of gas prices.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

so far there's only RBK and Izvestiya repeating a Telegram post from Zakon.kz (they haven't published an actual article stating it), so a bit iffy:

https://twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/status/1478503160419430401

this is a dismissal of the cabinet if true; Tokayev isn't saying he's resigning or dissolving parliament

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Grouchio posted:

I don't know enough about Kazakhstan to know if it was bad enough that any change in power would be beneficial, but I know enough about revolutions to know they're all rolls of the dice. I'd save really good for at least a couple of years. Might be good news for Ukraine though, depending on how things go.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Are there any articles on the expected economic impact of a war in Ukraine? And it sounds like to me - correct me if I am wrong - Ukraine will likely lose by default and just be overwhelmed by Russian Air Superiority.

And NATO isn't going to be coming to their rescue.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Are there any articles on the expected economic impact of a war in Ukraine? And it sounds like to me - correct me if I am wrong - Ukraine will likely lose by default and just be overwhelmed by Russian Air Superiority.

And NATO isn't going to be coming to their rescue.

Ukraine cannot win against Russia because in order to be capable of doing that in the first place they would need the kinds of things that result in global thermonuclear war shortly thereafter. Ukraine is basically on its own aside from the arms and supply shipments from the US/NATO.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Interesting how similar the slogans are in Kz, Ru and By "go away old man"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

Ukraine cannot win against Russia because in order to be capable of doing that in the first place they would need the kinds of things that result in global thermonuclear war shortly thereafter. Ukraine is basically on its own aside from the arms and supply shipments from the US/NATO.

It's not a matter of who wins, but who survives. Russia is not going to use nukes and they would have to mobilize a lot more troops to fully occupy major parts of Ukraine. Russia doesn't have the element of surprise like they did in Georgia, so the possibility of substantial casualties is also real. My question is, do the Russian people support Putin's goals enough that it couldn't backfire on him if things don't go rosy? And if a military operation doesn't topple Ukrainian government or the people's resistance to Russian invaders then what?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Definitely can't win in the sense of Ukrainian tanks rolling down Red Square but quite possibly make it enough of a mess to not be worth it. It'd be a huge conflict in the middle of Europe between people they're claiming are brothers, not some Wagner mercs getting blown up in Syria.

piL posted:

I don't know enough about Kazakhstan to know if it was bad enough that any change in power would be beneficial, but I know enough about revolutions to know they're all rolls of the dice. I'd save really good for at least a couple of years. Might be good news for Ukraine though, depending on how things go.

Yeah it's be pretty funny if Kazakhstan gets invaded instead to "protect the Russian population" from the overthrow of the government

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It's official; Kazakhstan government resigns after violent protests over fuel price

quote:

Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev accepted the government's resignation on Wednesday, his office said, after a fuel price increase in the oil-rich Central Asian country triggered protests in which nearly 100 police were injured. Police used tear gas and stun grenades late on Tuesday to drive hundreds of protesters out of the main square in Almaty, the former Soviet republic's biggest city, and clashes resumed on Wednesday. The protests shook the former Soviet republic's image as a politically stable and tightly controlled country, which it has used to attract hundreds of billions of dollars of foreign investment in its oil and metals industries over three decades of independence.

Speaking to acting cabinet members, Tokayev ordered them and provincial governors to reinstate LPG price controls and broaden them to gasoline, diesel and other "socially important" consumer goods. He also ordered the government to develop a personal bankruptcy law and consider freezing utilities' prices and subsidising rent payments for poor families. He said the situation was improving in protest-hit cities and towns after the state of emergency was declared which included a curfew and movement restrictions.

In addition to replacing the prime minister, Tokayev also appointed a new first deputy head of the National Security Committee who replaced Samat Abish, a nephew of powerful ex-president Nursultan Nazarbayev. Nazarbayev, 81, had run the country for almost 30 years before resigning abruptly in 2019 and backing Tokayev as a successor. Nazarbayev retains sweeping powers as the chairman of the security council; he has not convened the council or commented on this week's violence.

The protests began in the oil-producing western province of Mangistau on Sunday following the lifting of price caps on liquefied petroleum gas, a popular car fuel, a day earlier, after which its price more than doubled. Tokayev declared the emergency in Almaty and Mangistau and has said that domestic and foreign provocateurs were behind the violence. Separately, the interior ministry said that in addition to Almaty, government buildings were attacked in the southern cities of Shymkent and Taraz overnight, with 95 police officers wounded in clashes. Police have detained more than 200 people. Almaty mayor Bakytzhan Sagintayev said in an address to residents that the situation in the city was under control and security forces were detaining "provocateurs and extremists".

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Provocateurs huh?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Den_2042/status/1478649779362140165

https://twitter.com/XSovietNews/status/1478648956074737664

https://twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/status/1478635964457181185

https://twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/status/1478647469638619136

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

This uprising is instigated by Elon Musk to shut down Baikonur cosmodrome.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

That escalated quickly.

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah it's be pretty funny if Kazakhstan gets invaded instead to "protect the Russian population" from the overthrow of the government
Not so much for Kazakhs. They're probably not very happy in Moscow about their neighbor dictator being overthrown seemingly overnight and images of people beating policemen.

Edit: ah right, not dictator, just resignation of government, but still

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 5, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Has Kyrgyzstan been moving away from Russia after their little revolution? Unlike Ukraine and the old Western Soviet republics and Pact members I don't really see as much opportunity for the Central Asian states for drifting out of Russia's economic sphere. The leadership in general has always sought at least cordial relations with Russia in any case.

Kazakhstan's president at least seems to be acknowledging what the protesters are protesting about and attempting to take actions taht will alleviate those issues, though he's also very much trying to shift blame away from himself and not acknowledging personal responsibility. I guess we'll see if he manages to preserve himself.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 5, 2022

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

mobby_6kl posted:

Sokurov from the human rights council that a month ago pissed off Putin by suggesting Russia lets go the Caucasus republics predicted a war with Ukraine and Kazakhstan back in 2008

http://www.matritca.kz/other-sites/7694-variant-voyny-s-kazahstanom-trudno-preodolim-asokurov.html

I don't bring it up because everyone is generous on WW3 predictions but it's still hard to believe how quickly the brotherly nation stuff was turned into crazed ukrs crucifying russian boys

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Here’s hoping things deescalate a bit here. I’m puzzled by Nazarbayev’s silence here, but chances are he’s just letting Tokayev take the flak for all of this.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I heard an opinion that Tokayev is using it as a chance to gain real power. Goverment that resigned was all Nazarbayev relatives and cronies, now Tokayev can fill the seats with his own people.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’m not sure I agree with the notion that he gets to call shots, but I’m also not really well versed in Kazakhstan politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1478666771863375872
https://twitter.com/lookner/status/1478671396268089348
https://twitter.com/den_kazansky/status/1478673900175302658

But ya dyamic events are unfoot.