Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
When my ship was in the yards I got sent off for more C school and only was there for 5 days. Those 5 days sure seemed really dumb and I was super grateful that instead of doing bullshit yard nothing work I was getting horribly drunk everyday in Dahlgren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

When my ship was in the yards I got sent off for more C school and only was there for 5 days. Those 5 days sure seemed really dumb and I was super grateful that instead of doing bullshit yard nothing work I was getting horribly drunk everyday in Dahlgren.

The yard period right before you showed up to the ship was great, we left by 0900 every day. You didn't miss much otherwise, that dumb poo poo FCCS had us follow around the civs hired to sweep out spaces every day... and clean behind them. Or we had to stand fire watch...with the civs standing fire watch. One time all 19 FC1s got to "supervise" us moving all the contents of one CONEX box into another CONEX box, that was really exciting. we never did any real work, but we sure were there every day for 12 hours. Also 4 section duty for reasons I'll never understand.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I was in the yards for 3 months in Croatia and I didn’t lift a drat finger to do anything because of contractors.
I still had watch once every 4 days for 24 hours all alone but I just slept through most of it since I was locked into space.
lol reserves

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

A land of contrasts

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
In my years at sea in the merchant marine I spent… three weeks in dry dock. And that was a personnel gently caress up, they called us back too early. I was a deckhand back then so we just scrapped and painted.

I mean poo poo, we laid up a ship for ten days for lack of cargo last year and sent everyone except like two guys home. Folks cost money you know?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
They usually keep the top 4 for yards but I kinda wish they kept more since its always in Ningbo and sucks.

Alameda and MARAD have been having a pissing contest over who is going to dredge the berths the RRF ships have been in. Alameda just doesn't give a gently caress so they moved them up to the base of the Bay Bridge. My assumption for bay area waterfront berthing is that its too loving expensive for some rusty piece of poo poo to sit there and spoil the view, with Alameda out and the A's trying to build a ballpark at Howard terminal, I'm wondering what SF does when they AKEs leases are renegotiated. Mare Island would be a great (more like last) option to put RRF vessels otherwise they would have to go to Suisun Bay and there's no shore access there s they would have to be FOS or put on like 30+ day status. Theres not a lot of other west coast options to keep a bunch of ships on 120 hour standby, shoreside access for crew and vendors and brackish water, so losing Alameda is a kinda big deal.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

piL posted:

Are carriers livable in drydock or did you just hide in some paint locker?

During the Big E decomission they got rid of berthing spaces as soon as they possible could and moved all the nuke departments from the 2nd deck to the S-8 storage room. By the time we actually made it to the dry dock there was no longer a barge (The USS Ford took it) and we still on duty days so you just slept on whatever chair you could find if you even bothered to stay when your turn came up.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Fiye posted:

During the Big E decomission they got rid of berthing spaces as soon as they possible could and moved all the nuke departments from the 2nd deck to the S-8 storage room. By the time we actually made it to the dry dock there was no longer a barge (The USS Ford took it) and we still on duty days so you just slept on whatever chair you could find if you even bothered to stay when your turn came up.

JFC.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

Oh no the best thing is we had CSes making food for us for all of 2013 during this. 2014 and onward you had to bring your entire night's worth of food for a duty day unless you were willing to shell out for whatever fast food run happened that night. Rotating shiftwork couldn't come fast enough. (We had a chief who tried his loving best to have us do something not rotating shift work but despite his efforts they just went with what we did because that's what we do gently caress you.)

Edit: Oh a fun thing I remembered. In the dry dock at Newport News Shipyard there's a barge that's like right there. When I got NJP'd (phone on watch, nothing special) I got to eat at that galley three times a day because there was nothing available on our own ship. (THe Abraham Lincoln was docked there at the time if I remember correctly.). When we finally got to dry dock we didn't use it.

Fiye fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 28, 2021

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Yeah, they were there from 2013-16/7.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Reading all this and I'm really confused why there are retention issues, I guess people are just weak and don't want to go to work for our nation's Navy

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

maffew buildings posted:

Reading all this and I'm really confused why there are retention issues, I guess people are just weak and don't want to go to work for our nation's Navy

Love to spend my last 2 years on the ship on rotating shift work to *checks notes* get sent to NPTU and continue to do rotating shift work for another 3 years.

It might be unsurprising to learned a lot of people gained weight towards the end of period and a number of us failed the PRT. What we all would soon find out is apparently if you get lovely reviews you can't transfer to another command so they retain you where you are until you get out.

Apparently when your command goes away and you can't go to another command they just release you. Got an honorable medical discord (Thank god) and I've been free and never looked back.

Supposedly they'll now ship you off to another command and they won't repeat the same mistake that lost them a good number of nukes.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Fiye posted:

Love to spend my last 2 years on the ship on rotating shift work to *checks notes* get sent to NPTU and continue to do rotating shift work for another 3 years.

It might be unsurprising to learned a lot of people gained weight towards the end of period and a number of us failed the PRT. What we all would soon find out is apparently if you get lovely reviews you can't transfer to another command so they retain you where you are until you get out.

Apparently when your command goes away and you can't go to another command they just release you. Got an honorable medical discord (Thank god) and I've been free and never looked back.

Supposedly they'll now ship you off to another command and they won't repeat the same mistake that lost them a good number of nukes.

Yeah, fat nukes ruined it for all of the other Sailors that wanted to eat their way to freedom. Now, you get to be fat and underway until your EAOS.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Fiye posted:

Did you also get Involuntary Separation Pay? They were doing that when I left, which made it an even better deal. Did you just get out recently? I noticed your reg date is somewhat new, so I will mention (I am sure the thread regulars are tired of hearing this) but data centers (Facebook and Google for example) are actively looking for Navy Nuclear experience and the pay/stress level is really good. Where I work you can definitely have a 40 hour work week and real work life balance for most of the year. If you are at all interested in data centers I can can answer questions you might have or even give a referral if you want to apply. I can only give a referral for Google, but I also know the data center recruiter for Facebook, as I commissioned the GHWB with him. I work with people who were at Amazon before and would be able to give information on how to best apply for them as well. Amazon would probably have a more stressful work atmosphere, but they have the most locations out of all the big companies that have their own in house data center facilities technicians. Some companies, like Microsoft, use a third party/contractor service. Those people are still looking for Navy Nuclear background, but the job isn't quite as great.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
One time as DIVO, when I didn't have a chief, I tried to have the Sailors troubleshoot a major casualty in shifts instead of as all hands. As in send your people home and then have some come back at night to keep the work going instead of all of them being here til the jobs done. The LPO, who was usually reasonable, fought me so hard with sudden vigor that I immediately assumed they knew something I didn't, dropped it and made it their call. All of them but one ended up spending the night anyway, with the casualty restored at 0300.

I never understood why that happened, but I now think it's because I used the word "shift," and the LPO had leftover trauma from a stint on a carrier.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
there was many times when the entire sonar division stayed till 11pm or even 2am while 2-3 of the guys did any actual work to fix something / do some shipyard only pms. i asked why we were doing this when so many of us could not even help and was told "the department has to stay together". :psypop:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
That happened a lot in the Seabees, construction projects needed to be entered in to the terribly broken software system or reworked (all of this was done poorly and the construction usually didn't happen) and you'd get big brain E-6s saying 'keep everyone here and train them on how to do this so this doesn't happen again', then it was said E-6 at the computer ignoring all the junior personnel while anyone who could train the junior guys is assisting said E-6 in using the software (i.e. they keep doing the opposite of what the people they outrank who use the program regularly say and make the situation worse) until they give up and send everyone home.

Navy thinking is tight.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ded posted:

there was many times when the entire sonar division stayed till 11pm or even 2am while 2-3 of the guys did any actual work to fix something / do some shipyard only pms. i asked why we were doing this when so many of us could not even help and was told "the department has to stay together". :psypop:

Isn't this what duty section is for?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

piL posted:

One time as DIVO, when I didn't have a chief, I tried to have the Sailors troubleshoot a major casualty in shifts instead of as all hands. As in send your people home and then have some come back at night to keep the work going instead of all of them being here til the jobs done. The LPO, who was usually reasonable, fought me so hard with sudden vigor that I immediately assumed they knew something I didn't, dropped it and made it their call. All of them but one ended up spending the night anyway, with the casualty restored at 0300.

I never understood why that happened, but I now think it's because I used the word "shift," and the LPO had leftover trauma from a stint on a carrier.

I may be in the minority here, but I really, greatly, preferred rotating shift work compared to standing duty days, if the duty rotation was going to be 4 or less. Also, with set duty schedules we very rarely stayed over the allotted time frame either. That was my shipyard experience doing a commissioning. We started with 4 section duty with a barge, and that poo poo just sucked so bad.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

ded posted:

I hate this poo poo cause it means someone is going to gently caress up and cause me so much more work cause they are tired. I knock people off even if they are contractually supposed to be there and just tell them to write in for it. Theres nothing like being almost done with some critical thing and then finding out you have 6+ hours to go.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

Isn't this what duty section is for?

Ahahahahahahahahaha

This happened to us all the time because SPY was always hosed. Even though the SPY guys didnt want us or the FCS guys to troubleshoot (which I get, I dont want FCS and SPY techs touching the ACNT stuff) we had to stay onboard FOR THE DIVISION! When we finally had a ridiculous ACNT fault that required us to troubleshoot after working hours I bitched to leadership how loving insane it was to keep the rest of the division on board for no reason. They didn't care.

However when we hit Monterey and our NAS' exploded they had no problem letting the rest of the division out on liberty (which they should have).

It's a bizarre way of thinking, like the other techs that arent troubleshooting are just going to be sleeping in their spaces or whatever.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

Ahahahahahahahahaha

This happened to us all the time because SPY was always hosed. Even though the SPY guys didnt want us or the FCS guys to troubleshoot (which I get, I dont want FCS and SPY techs touching the ACNT stuff) we had to stay onboard FOR THE DIVISION! When we finally had a ridiculous ACNT fault that required us to troubleshoot after working hours I bitched to leadership how loving insane it was to keep the rest of the division on board for no reason. They didn't care.

However when we hit Monterey and our NAS' exploded they had no problem letting the rest of the division out on liberty (which they should have).

It's a bizarre way of thinking, like the other techs that arent troubleshooting are just going to be sleeping in their spaces or whatever.

I still think about this a lot, and the problem was made worse by the fact that we pretty much always had more FC1s than FC2s, and none of them knew anything about the gear.

Says a lot when the FCCM is more familiar with a system than the FCC.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

bengy81 posted:

I still think about this a lot, and the problem was made worse by the fact that we pretty much always had more FC1s than FC2s, and none of them knew anything about the gear.

Says a lot when the FCCM is more familiar with a system than the FCC.

Yea but I dont think we had a typical FCCM

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Did you also get Involuntary Separation Pay? They were doing that when I left, which made it an even better deal. Did you just get out recently? I noticed your reg date is somewhat new, so I will mention (I am sure the thread regulars are tired of hearing this) but data centers (Facebook and Google for example) are actively looking for Navy Nuclear experience and the pay/stress level is really good. Where I work you can definitely have a 40 hour work week and real work life balance for most of the year. If you are at all interested in data centers I can can answer questions you might have or even give a referral if you want to apply. I can only give a referral for Google, but I also know the data center recruiter for Facebook, as I commissioned the GHWB with him. I work with people who were at Amazon before and would be able to give information on how to best apply for them as well. Amazon would probably have a more stressful work atmosphere, but they have the most locations out of all the big companies that have their own in house data center facilities technicians. Some companies, like Microsoft, use a third party/contractor service. Those people are still looking for Navy Nuclear background, but the job isn't quite as great.

No sep pay (I also didn't have to pay back my re-enlistment bonus either). I've been out for almost 5 years and got a job as a technician in the world of manufacturing processor chips. A part of me kind of regrets it because I'm undervalued (Someone i know moved to San Antonio and got a job at an amazon data center making more money than me) but the benefits I get at my job are great and I'm going to be abusing the hell out of them this year.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I may be in the minority here, but I really, greatly, preferred rotating shift work compared to standing duty days, if the duty rotation was going to be 4 or less. Also, with set duty schedules we very rarely stayed over the allotted time frame either. That was my shipyard experience doing a commissioning. We started with 4 section duty with a barge, and that poo poo just sucked so bad.

There was a period during duty days where poo poo didn't suck (But I also had a great chief who wouldn't keep us around to sit on our asses). We'd constantly beat the flag home on non duty days which make the whole duty day thing suck mildly less. Though our ship had the master plan thinking we'd get done on time and we could naturally just lose people and be fine. Spoiler: We didn't and duty days got shittier and shittier as we had to go to a tighter schedule. Also my chief moved to RC-30 so we got a new shittier chief who would claim we'd have to stay per the RC LCPO and unsurprisingly that turned out to be a lie.

The move to shiftwork was amazing and we'd let people not show up if it was day 1 or day last of whatever schedule we were on. I also wrote the watchbill and might have made a copy available of it somewhere for people to view from home.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

lightpole posted:

I hate this poo poo cause it means someone is going to gently caress up and cause me so much more work cause they are tired. I knock people off even if they are contractually supposed to be there and just tell them to write in for it. Theres nothing like being almost done with some critical thing and then finding out you have 6+ hours to go.

Yeah my last lovely chief basically said STCW rest periods were optional, and you better opt out of them if you ever want any OT. Except on weekends, then they were unpaid and mandatory, in fact take the whole day off!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

STCW rest periods are optional until you get into an accident, then they’re the root cause.

Take your rest periods.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

"sure, I'll be happy to, as long as I get that order in writing, signed by you, that you want me to break STCW"

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

STCW rest periods are optional until you get into an accident, then they’re the root cause.

Take your rest periods.

This. Maybe 10 years ago when it was first implemented but you're touching a hot stove playing around with them now. STCW records are at the top of the list of things they want to look at and I'm not touching those penalties. Assuming regulators are stupid and don't know that you're fudging the numbers a bit is asking to get hit.

I tell everyone they have to let me know they are going to be in the red and then decline work. If its contractual work they get to write in for it. If I tried for anything else the union would be making GBS threads on me next port. My main worry is always someone loving things up because they are tired which has been a big source of failures that I've seen so I'd rather lose an hour or two here and there then rearrange my week and explain to the office why we dumped $50k worth of diesel in the settler with the HFO.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 3, 2022

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
The problem is that the weekend isn't contractual so they can just hold that 16 hours a week over your head lol

Knock everyone off and just have the duty guys run everything for 2 days for the duty rate

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Christ that’s a poo poo contract.

Accident investigators have gotten smart enough to correlate rest hour logs with logbooks and pay records, so don’t gently caress with that poo poo.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I've heard of that happening but I've never seen it and some of the contract language has tightened up because of it. Its never made sense, I'm already short on everything and can't afford to knock everyone off for 16 hours, thats insane. Its also already in the companies budget, I'm not saving them money, its been allocated specifically for that purpose.

Labor costs are <10% of the total operating budget as well, I think like 7%? Youre saving maybe $5k/week which might work out to an overall savings of <.1% or $250k/year. Thats a wiped liner, a new air compressor or two, or some a few minor mistakes away from disappearing. I think my numbers are close but I'm not debating that poo poo with anyone I'm just walking off.

Anyways, let's check back in with the academies

https://gcaptain.com/pressure-from-student-voice-website-not-enough-to-budge-cal-maritime/

Oh

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Sailor school uniforms considered problematic. ADTRW posters seen nervously tugging at collar.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

piL posted:

Sailor school uniforms considered problematic. ADTRW posters seen nervously tugging at collar.

Hahaha, it's funny because it's true, you see.

:(

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Cadets must wear uniforms according to their sex at birth is probably a pretty hot take in 2022 but when you combine with

https://gcaptain.com/cal-maritime-commandant-suspended-speaking-out-against-sexual-racial-harassment/

Send all trannies to die fighting China and threatening an African American cadet with rape and telling her she is a slave and whatever else, all coming from your senior cadet leadership, disciplining the one school administration representative that speaks out against it and reaffirming everyone's right to freedom of speech as your reaction you might have some problems.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I get this is kind of a vague question (intentionally probably) but what's the read on the ground in terms of readiness these days?

Just curious because I've been hearing poo poo about longer stays in port and lax maintenance, understrength, etc.

Actually gently caress it, this already sounds like a cop question. Don't like put anything that would get you in trouble if you respond or something, this is purely for my own curiosity's sake after hearing some poo poo from ex-navy people.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

People who used to do [thing] always claim [thing] was much more badass when they were doing it.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

The ships and crews are over worked and undermanned as a rule, although there are exceptions.

Need fewer missions/deployments.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Are you saying that spending 9 months a year out to sea or working 100 hours a week, while cutting maintenance availabilities so that boats leave the yards more broken than they went in is bad for readiness?

Because yeah, it is.

I just spent about a month spending eight of my offgoing hours every day running "super code reds" and other drills so I could be ready to "go to war with China in the next five years" on a submarine with its front smashed off that can't dive, and now I'm doing 10 hours of work controls for shipyard to do five minutes of work on standdown every day, so I might be a little biased.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Your skipper had you run drills while transiting with a busted boat?

:lol:

FTN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The new skipper's great.

A quote: (while briefing us on the cause of the collision) "Bad things happen to good boats... that's not what happened here"

In a post-training meeting with supervisors: "what I'm saying is... cleaning will continue... until moral improves"

We ran code reds every watch (except we stopped running them on the midwatch, and the first half of days, half way through because the 1MCs were waking the skipper up), and drillsets twice a week.

The interim XO's the one that won't stop ranting about how war with China's basically imminent .

They're both better than the interim ENG who is a golem that refuses to look at a book, and operates solely based on tribal knowledge.

You don't get the most pleasant people in charge of you after running engineering department pushes you into a mountain, is what I guess I'm tryna say.