Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goddammit when does Hitman 3 come out on Steam? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Cruelty Squad sure is a game. Interesting enough to keep me hooked, for sure.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

pentyne posted:

Kind of late but eh, haven't been in a gaming mood for a bit so here's a wrap up of 2021 for me.

That's a lot of good games. Nice blurbs!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Jerusalem posted:

Goddammit when does Hitman 3 come out on Steam? :argh:

The game was released on 20 January 2021, and well...
https://twitter.com/Hitman/status/1462858421808635906

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I've been on kind of a platformer/indie kick lately. If I was going to pick up just one of the following just before the end of the sale, which should it be?

Kaze and the Wild Masks
Golden Light
(I know it's not a platformer but it does look really cool)
Okinawa Rush
Curse Of The Moon 2
Steel Assault

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Volte posted:

Speaking of Deathloop, I've been replaying Dishonored (plus the Daud DLCs for the first time) and while it still holds up and is an amazing game, the objectives are way more railroaded than Deathloop's. It's a much older game of course but I've seen numerous posters lament the fact that Deathloop has quest markers pointing out where to go where Dishonored had you explore to complete objectives and it just isn't true. Try to open a door, the door is locked, and instantly a quest marker appears on the keys 200m away in an apartment. At least if it were Deathloop you'd have to do something to figure out where the keys are, even if the intermediate steps were signposted too. The more I play Dishonored the more I realize that Deathloop is really a spiritual successor to it specifically. Dishonored is a game that's meant to be meta-gamed and replayed with previous knowledge intact. That's why there's a Retry button on the Mission Complete screen after all. Deathloop just takes that and makes it part of the world.

Yeah, Deathloop shares a pretty clear lineage with Dishonored with more Hitmanish elements. Knowledge being the main driver of progression makes DL pretty interesting, you never really "lose" anything between runs and the discovery element is fun and a good driver even if it starts to drag a bit towards the end.

I get why people are comparing it to Mooncrash but they're really doing fundamentally different things IMO. Mooncrash emphasizes systems mastery and resource management with the time loop serving as a reason for randomization within the same map. I think Mooncrash kind of butts up against the worst parts of roguelike mechanics sometimes where losses can feel like real unfun setbacks and the randomness isn't adding meaningful interesting content.

IDK I honestly think Mooncrash was an interesting experiment and a great idea for a kind of randomizer mod twist on Prey but very rough as a complete game where Deathloop IMO feels more like a complete experience even though it's a bit simplified.

I like that they both exist and IMO people should play both.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 5, 2022

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

What's the tone and general plot like on Death's Door? The game looks great, and I understand it's more zelda than story, but given how overwhelmingly crappy the last few years have been I don't really feel like playing a depressing game about sad dead people getting screwed over by the celestial bureaucracy.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Mierenneuker posted:

The game was released on 20 January 2021, and well...
https://twitter.com/Hitman/status/1462858421808635906

gently caress Epic.

I'd love to actually buy this game but I refuse to spend money in the Epic store. I'll grab free games (that I never play) but as for supporting that absolute piece of poo poo storefront whose owners bribe publishers into not putting games on actually usable platforms? Nope.

I'll buy Hitman 3 when it comes out on something else.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

GreatGreen posted:

gently caress Epic.

I'd love to actually buy this game but I refuse to spend money in the Epic store. I'll grab free games (that I never play) but as for supporting that absolute piece of poo poo storefront whose owners bribe publishers into not putting games on actually usable platforms? Nope.

:ok:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I also hate when developers of games I like are given large sums of money.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

GreatGreen posted:

gently caress Epic.

Unironically a good post. It'll still be a good game when it comes out on Steam, on EGS, well I hope the bag is worth the lost sales.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Omi no Kami posted:

What's the tone and general plot like on Death's Door? The game looks great, and I understand it's more zelda than story, but given how overwhelmingly crappy the last few years have been I don't really feel like playing a depressing game about sad dead people getting screwed over by the celestial bureaucracy.
While it's a little melancholic at times, its tone could mostly be described as, "muted, British humor." There are a few sensible chuckles to be had.

Really though, there's not a lot of story in the first place, you're just swinging swords at poo poo. Excellent game, quite polished too.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Y'all also get mad that Hulu gets exclusive rights to shows/movies and they aren't also available on Netflix?

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

The EGS honestly seems fine (at least for how I play games) but I don't use it because I'm a stubborn dipshit and want all my stuff on the same digital shelf. I feel like a lot of the loftier complaints I read about it often boil down to that same basic reason.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

at this point the only thing i care about is EGS vs Steam is that the Epic launcher sucks poo poo and is constantly saying an error occurred

i stopped getting emails about people trying to break into my account because i played fortnite once one afternoon 4 years ago, so now it's just "can this client be stable please"

e: also tim sweeney is a dipshit

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Lightningproof posted:

The EGS honestly seems fine (at least for how I play games) but I don't use it because I'm a stubborn dipshit and want all my stuff on the same digital shelf. I feel like a lot of the loftier complaints I read about it often boil down to that same basic reason.

Yeah, that's pretty much why I don't use it. Works as a good excuse to spend less money on games I won't play, honestly :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't use EGS for philosophical reasons.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

it's generally melancholic but the game doesn't really wallow in it and I wouldn't describe it as depressing. it has a fair amount of humor, but it doesn't change the overall tone much because it's very dry british humor.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

it's generally melancholic but the game doesn't really wallow in it and I wouldn't describe it as depressing. it has a fair amount of humor, but it doesn't change the overall tone much because it's very dry british humor.

Yeah, I'd describe it as sombre, but not depressing or outright sad. It's kind of similar to Edward Gorey art/stories, if you're familiar.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]

The 7th Guest posted:

e: also tim sweeney is a dipshit

I liked Jill of the Jungle

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Harminoff posted:

Y'all also get mad that Hulu gets exclusive rights to shows/movies and they aren't also available on Netflix?

poo poo it could be worse like in the VR storefront, where Facebook gets complete exclusivity with its games where not only can you not buy the games on steam, you can't even use other VR headsets with their games.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Harminoff posted:

Lol, I am pretty Epic indifferent but I think everybody dislikes the balkanization of streaming content and it's driving up piracy. I'm really not sure where you are going with this argument

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 5, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah back in the netflix heydays i barely pirated TV stuff, now im back at it more than before, so much poo poo is all over the place

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

EGS:

Lightningproof posted:

I don't use it because I'm a stubborn dipshit and want all my stuff on the same digital shelf.

Yeah exactly my case, I remember how lovely it was before you could have everything in one place, and I have so many games in my backlog that as much as I might want to play a new release, I know it's eventually going to make its way to Steam so I can play older stuff till then.

I don't have any qualms with Io taking the exclusivity deal, even though it meant I've had to wait so long for more Hitman, because it was nice to know that after they were on the verge of bankruptcy the deal basically recovered all their development costs entirely and let them keep the lights on, and now they're making a James Bond game :hellyeah:

That said, it's been a year now, gimme my Hitman 3 on Steam! :shepspends:

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Any must-buys this sale before it ends? So far i got Warhammer 2 and a buncha dlc and World War 3

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Any must-buys this sale before it ends? So far i got Warhammer 2 and a buncha dlc and World War 3

Er, heads up, I think WW3 (the Battlefieldlike, right?) is supposed to go F2P sometime in the future.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Hitman 3 on Epic is bad because I have Hitman 1 and 2 on Steam. I just like things to be organised. There might be other issues at play but this is the key one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Harminoff posted:

Honestly it does suck that now that people see the money streaming has shattered into a million lovely services

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Pwnstar posted:

Hitman 3 on Epic is bad because I have Hitman 1 and 2 on Steam. I just like things to be organised. There might be other issues at play but this is the key one.

This is annoying, but not so bad because you can play the entirety of Hitman 1 and 2 within Hitman 3. Just need to link your Steam and Epic accounts to your IO account.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Omi no Kami posted:

Just to add to the chorus, it's really not depressing at all. Grab it, it's fun.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

CharlestheHammer posted:

Honestly it does suck that now that people see the money streaming has shattered into a million lovely services

It's kind of funny to me because I used to work in cable customer service and everyone always wanted everything to be "ala carte" and I had to explain how that was a bad idea, and would make everything more expensive.

Well here we are, every channel having their own streaming service, and people complaining that they want it bundled.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Harminoff posted:

Yea, people constantly complain about how shows which were once all available on Netflix/Hulu are now spread across a dozen different streaming platforms.

Lightningproof posted:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think Epic's use of huge sums of money to strongarm devs into being EGS-exclusive is ultimately bad even if the devs themselves do okay relative speaking. Most devs aren't really in a position to turn down a good payday so Epic essentially holds all the cards and simply decides which games they want to keep off Steam, which is not a very healthy thing to have going on in the ecosystem. The idea that they're doing the devs a benevolent service is just a PR illusion. If they wanted to they could give devs a good payday with their Fortnite billions just to be on EGS in the first place and still allow them to go on Steam. They'd generate more goodwill that way and could still get people to use EGS via more traditional tactics like sales and coupons instead of trying to monopolize particular games.

Also the EGS client is pretty barebones and building up their audience by being the only game in town for certain things instead of actually having to compete for users is not doing anyone any favours. I don't really care about having my games spread across launchers, but I like having games on Steam because it's just a better overall experience. Whenever I so much as unminimize the EGS client it takes like 5 seconds to display anything other than a blank screen with a loading bar.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.
Deathloop felt like it tried to do a little bit of everything and nothing felt satisfying as a result. When I pulled off a good stealth run it paled to anything I did in Dishonoured 1 / 2 and the more volatile passages of combat were nothing on Prey. I shouldn't compare it to those games but it was hard not to.

I really wish they had gone more all out on the powers and special guns, especially the latter of which I found so underwhelming I just opted for a full melee build (using the attachments for melee healing, extra HP, defense etc.) so I could quickly hack through minions and get to the stupid quest marker to drive the game along. Exploration also felt unrewarding because nothing I found was really interesting or useful and the world building was just so trite and predictable. I never finished it and just read the ending which was also not great.

I got burned by both being way too excited for this game and then also paying full price. I think the same would have happened if I grabbed Cyberpunk at release too. All this talk of Mooncrash makes me wanna revisit it and give it a fair shake since I bounced off it last time due to the timers.

Overminty posted:

The dynamic between Colt and Juliana is fantastic, the gameplay didn't hook me enough to see it through though.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Colt and Julianna are great characters.

I found their Whedon-esque banter loving interminable. Also once it's revealed that she's his daughter, it becomes loving gross that they continue to banter like the leads that are supposed to inevitably hook up at the end of the series / movie / game. I was shocked no one brings that fact up and had to google it make sure I wasn't going insane.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Harminoff posted:

It's kind of funny to me because I used to work in cable customer service and everyone always wanted everything to be "ala carte" and I had to explain how that was a bad idea, and would make everything more expensive.

Well here we are, every channel having their own streaming service, and people complaining that they want it bundled.

No, the current climate is nothing like what people actually wanted in that context. For TV, people actually just want one single "app" within which they can choose which specific TV channels they want to pay for. If TV channels worked like different game storefronts or streaming platforms, the proper equivalent would be having to deal with a brand new, separate cable provider for every channel, which as we all can guess would drive even more people to murderous rampages than happen now.

A better analog to "I just want to pay for the channels I want while using my TV" with video games would actually be more like, well, Steam. One platform with an a la carte selection of the individual games people want to pay for, without having to pay for games they don't care about. This system is wonderful as long as the platform is stable, fully featured, and has a good UI.

As for the conversation about Epic, I like that they are trying to compete with Steam, but I think they're doing it in the worst possible way. Forcing exclusivity by bribing games publishers is the shittiest, sleaziest possible option, and only really buys you most absolute die hard fans of whatever game is being released. People know what's going on that they hate it and the platform, and they absolutely abandon games and the platform the instant they feel they no longer have to put up with it.

Want to actually earn users? How about, I don't know, make your storefront and games library not a total piece of poo poo you have to fight every single time you interact with it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 5, 2022

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mordja posted:

While it's a little melancholic at times, its tone could mostly be described as, "muted, British humor." There are a few sensible chuckles to be had.

Really though, there's not a lot of story in the first place, you're just swinging swords at poo poo. Excellent game, quite polished too.

Mostly sensible chuckles, and the occasional belly laugh.

(the spoiler is just for a joke)

edit: Also despite the much more drily humorous tone, it shares a lot of its DNA with the previous game by the same devs, Titan Souls. I can't quantify what about it is the same, it just has the same [i]feel/i].

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 5, 2022

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So steam is like ala carte and gamepass is like cable tv bundling?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Which channel is Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash in this analogy?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Waste of Breath posted:

Which channel is Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash in this analogy?

Court TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

Want to actually earn users? How about, I don't know, make your storefront and games library not a total piece of poo poo you have to fight every single time you interact with it.

Honestly I don't think this would get them any users either. You make a platform that has all of the same features as steam and a UI that's just as nice, nobody's going to switch to it, because steam is already where all the games are.