Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Zore posted:

Unit sizes are an option you can change in game, sounds like you might have accidentally set them to small

That's probably it, thanks. I just installed it on a new machine and went a little crazy with what I'm able to adjust now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
smol unit sizes own

hello one dwarf cannon, I hope you do ok

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Third World Reagan posted:

smol unit sizes own

Haha, I was going to say, I had to play small sizes up till very recently, just cause my laptop was pretty old, and I just got a new laptop that went with ultra everything settings. It's great, but I put unit sizes down to medium. 2 cannons is fine, I don't need 4 or whatever. Makes the individual units seem like the appropriate amount of units. Dunno, just makes better sense with my understanding of warhammer reading and understanding of units on the tabletop.

Also makes artillery more hit and miss, since instead of four shots aiming at huge infantry units, it's 1 cannon aiming at small units. Once the accuracy gets up they start murdering, and there're always good for forcing them to come to you.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

It's January 3rd, CA. Where's my infodumps?! I'm jonesing for teasers or hints or anything! I CAN'T TAKE IT MAN, I NEED MY FIX. JUST A MORSEL. SOMETHING. ANYTHING.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ardent Communist posted:

Haha, I was going to say, I had to play small sizes up till very recently, just cause my laptop was pretty old, and I just got a new laptop that went with ultra everything settings. It's great, but I put unit sizes down to medium. 2 cannons is fine, I don't need 4 or whatever. Makes the individual units seem like the appropriate amount of units. Dunno, just makes better sense with my understanding of warhammer reading and understanding of units on the tabletop.

Also makes artillery more hit and miss, since instead of four shots aiming at huge infantry units, it's 1 cannon aiming at small units. Once the accuracy gets up they start murdering, and there're always good for forcing them to come to you.

The game is mostly balanced around Large unit size (which is the default for some reason) because magic and to some degree single unit entities don't scale with it. Magic is super op on small unit sizes and kinda crap on ultra etc.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, I played with small units for ages and swapping to large was such a revelation. Turns out your LLs don't die in 2 seconds to an enemy hero, whodathunk? Seriously, characters punch for 400 AP dmg but only have 1500 hp, its nuts.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Gonkish posted:

It's January 3rd, CA. Where's my infodumps?! I'm jonesing for teasers or hints or anything! I CAN'T TAKE IT MAN, I NEED MY FIX. JUST A MORSEL. SOMETHING. ANYTHING.

It's the New Years' Day public holiday in the UK (because actual New Year's Day was a weekend)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Gonkish posted:

The news cycle will begin again during the second week of January IIRC

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Third World Reagan posted:

smol unit sizes own

Downloading The Prophet and the Warlock set my unit size to the smallest, and I was really confused when Doom-flayers were single entity units like the larger Doomwheels.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 4, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zore posted:

The game is mostly balanced around Large unit size (which is the default for some reason) because magic and to some degree single unit entities don't scale with it. Magic is super op on small unit sizes and kinda crap on ultra etc.

The spells change balance too: the larger the unit size the more powerful large vortexes and winds become while on smaller settings spells that effect individual units or models become better. Bjuna iirc becomes like it was at WH1 release and final transmutation just melts armies.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Is there an overview map that makes it easier to read which regions can reach each other? I find I sometimes have a hard time telling whether my armies will be able to walk/sail from here to there.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but if you select an army, and then a destination (without clicking) it'll show the route that the army would take, as well as how many turns it will take (with each extra turn being a different colour).

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Yeah, part pf the problem is that this method seems to sometimes avoid water when it would be better to travel by sea. But then I don't have a good read on how my armies will behave when it comes to making landfall, raiding ports, etc.

E: I mean a good chunk of this is just a lack of familiarity on my part. I am slowly learning to pay better attention to how enemy armies will move but if you click on an enemy army in a settlement, you can't see how far it can go while you can if it's in the field.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 4, 2022

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I can’t think of a single turn based strategy game out there where I haven’t had to reload a save due to some movement craziness/interface shenanigans

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

How hard is it to just have an undo move button if you misclick when it's still your turn?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tzeentch only :evilbuddy:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

McGavin posted:

How hard is it to just have an undo move button if you misclick when it's still your turn?

Almost certainly, it's to prevent players from moving to scout ahead and then just undoing the move if it's unfavorable. I know you could still do that via save scumming, but that's way more of a pain in the rear end.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ojetor posted:

Almost certainly, it's to prevent players from moving to scout ahead and then just undoing the move if it's unfavorable. I know you could still do that via save scumming, but that's way more of a pain in the rear end.

It's single player, who gives a gently caress?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
People can't help themselves, if there's an easy scummy thing to do they WILL do it, the burden is on the game devs to save us from ourselves.

That being said games that where built with undo in mind tend to be excellent, if rare.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

'God forbid the players abuse the AI' the game developer says as he codes six new armour piercing ranged units and a river crossing map

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

DaysBefore posted:

'God forbid the players abuse the AI' the game developer says as he codes six new armour piercing ranged units and a river crossing map

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah lol

I like the choke-point maps but they are such an easy win, I think they should get a map-wide buff for the AI or something

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I think there probably are a lot of issues with an undo move button. There’s all kinds of quest triggers, ambush triggers, lord and hero map properties, and poo poo that the game has to check every time you move somewhere. It’s not just as simple as returning to your original spot.

Also if it existed then every turn you’d be playing suboptimally if you didn’t scout with each unit to it’s biggest possible distance in every direction and then undoing it.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They better get Tom from yogscast to voice him or I riot

Same

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
An easier or better solution would be some kind of preview of the movement order, and require a confirmation to execute. Yea ok it adds an extra click but at least make it an option.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

An easier or better solution would be some kind of preview of the movement order, and require a confirmation to execute. Yea ok it adds an extra click but at least make it an option.

Yeah this, keep the fog of war but tell me where my army is actually going

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm missing the updates more than I thought I would, which is kind of funny because I'm simultaneously less confident that I'll play on launch day than I was before. Maybe I just need to get my hype crystals charged again though. :shrug:

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Twigand Berries posted:

The only problem with this is making wrong moves and getting hit by ambushes is the only way to lose an army, and it gives some use for heroes since you can use them to scout and make sure you're not moving into three enemy armies.
I dunno, it might be easy to go back to the previous turn, but some of my more fun campaigns have come from coming back from errors.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Twigand Berries posted:

If you hold the mouse button and don’t release it, does it not show an arrow with the movement order?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I am hoping that the new more miniature-looking toy world map makes it easier to read. In general, the strategy map would do well with a bunch of tools to make it easier to understand what is going on.

Coming from EU IV and similar games, I am severely missing having multiple map views that makes it easier to see at a glance who likes me, who my enemies are, climate, winds of magic, province income, and other strategic information that would make planning things easier. Similarly, I want a clearer read on how enemies in my view can potentially move and how far I can move this turn and then next turn from my current position. I’d like it to be much clearer what terrain is impassable, and when I can expect armies to reinforce one another.

A lot of this information is available if you know where to look and are willing to click on a lot of things. The diplomacy interface is especially terrible for this. There’s a lot of information there, but it’s not easy to grasp.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Ardent Communist posted:

The only problem with this is making wrong moves and getting hit by ambushes is the only way to lose an army, and it gives some use for heroes since you can use them to scout and make sure you're not moving into three enemy armies.
I dunno, it might be easy to go back to the previous turn, but some of my more fun campaigns have come from coming back from errors.

I truly mean keep fog of war as in show nothing other than movement path and only reveal once you hit commit so you can still stumble into multi stacks if unscouted.

yikes! posted:

If you hold the mouse button and don’t release it, does it not show an arrow with the movement order?

Yes and I find myself doing this often but not every single move and how many saves have you reloaded when you try to move a stack from a port to another port and it decides it's Lewis and Clarke

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Twigand Berries posted:

Yes and I find myself doing this often but not every single move and how many saves have you reloaded when you try to move a stack from a port to another port and it decides it's Lewis and Clarke

A lot. I wasn't disagreeing that it was a problem. I just wasn't sure you knew about the preview from the way your post read.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Twigand Berries posted:

I truly mean keep fog of war as in show nothing other than movement path and only reveal once you hit commit so you can still stumble into multi stacks if unscouted.

An extra klick every single time you move an army och agent sounds more annoying tbh. The few times it's happened a I just roll with it.

For the port part, just always move the army just outside the port, land to land movement is always prioritized if possible.

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 5, 2022

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The game pathfinding will always keep you on land or water, whichever you are on at the moment. if you think there’s a shortcut over water you have to click from one to the other. That’s why if you want to go to a totally new continent or island you can’t just click on it, you have to click on the nearby ocean first. I don’t think there’s too many routes where it’s quicker to switch back and forth though.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Lustria definitely had faster routes by spending 2 turns dicking about with boats, also a few Norsica areas. The reluctance to embark was always kinda weird to me, since even if the optimal route only saved a few inches, the opportunities of being in a boat are great.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The reluctance made way more sense when all water battles were autoresolve only. I wish they’d get rid of it now though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
They could just remove automatic pathing on water and force the player to consciously enter the water before they consider waterway navigation as a pathing option.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Kanos posted:

They could just remove automatic pathing on water and force the player to consciously enter the water before they consider waterway navigation as a pathing option.

isnt that how it is now?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

punishedkissinger posted:

isnt that how it is now?

it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

punishedkissinger posted:

isnt that how it is now?

I haven't actually played in like two months but I distinctly remember giving orders for an army to move somewhere and them gleefully running to boat up and wasting a turn at least as recently as that.