Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

hobbesmaster posted:

In the US they can do that for everything except schedule 2. Most effective ADHD medicine (stimulants) are schedule 2 and for some reason paper prescriptions are the standard for the “highest risk” drugs.

And they can't just call the loving doctor that prescribed it to confirm because???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Yo how hard were you driving that civic?

I was a teenager who wasn't as concerned about gas prices, it was a different time, a different era.

Also, I wanted to at least not lose speed going uphill if not accelerate, and certain maintenance was not done before I owned it which definitely affected the longevity and mileage.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mister Facetious posted:

This is more of a US healthcare nightmare because i never use the same pharmacy twice (just whatever's closest at the time of the doctor/dentist i was using), and all the clerk needs to do is call to confirm the prescription. You should be able to have them call neighboring pharmacies to see if they have what you need without revisiting your loving doctor.

Well...I can't. For some reason. I agree though.

hobbesmaster posted:

In the US they can do that for everything except schedule 2. Most effective ADHD medicine (stimulants) are schedule 2 and for some reason paper prescriptions are the standard for the “highest risk” drugs.

It might be a schedule 2 med. It's an anti depressant/anti anxiety scrip but to me somehow that makes it even worse that I can't deal with it somehow with a telecall or some emails and poo poo. I mean, christ, I take it at night and on the few occasions I have forgotten to, the side effects the next day are QUITE palpable and not at all pleasant. For starters, I wind up waking up at 3:30am and unable to get back to sleep.

To say the least, it's not something I should just immediately stop taking.

Good news is, I just got a call and it arrived so I guess you guys won't be reading about me running amok naked in the streets or anything. Still though, with all the CPU poo poo that goes on with these medicines, you would think that they could network it to where they can go "sorry for the inconvenience, but due to a supply issue, your prescription has been moved to CVS/Walgreens/Whatever for pick up" instead of "welp, sucks for you but maybe if you're lucky your shrink can fit you in before you insane. Good luck!"

Like, does this happen with insulin and things like that? My son takes anti seizure medication and I can't imagine the horror I'd feel if he ran out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mister Facetious posted:

And they can't just call the loving doctor that prescribed it to confirm because???
(A) because federal law (they have to have hands on the piece of paper) and
(B) because pharmacies are wildly understaffed and the pharmacist is run off their feet filling prescriptions and wrangling insurance for actual customers.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Federal regulations and red tape designed to prevent people from dealing stuff like Adderall, Xanax and Vicodin on the street. That's the "control" part of "controlled substance" I guess but it's a hosed up way to go about it since I'm ALREADY in a registry with my ID and everything and any pharmacy can pull me up. Similar poo poo with medical weed where, for some reason, you have to pay for a 'license' or whatever once a year that runs about 100 bucks even though, in my case, a half ounce or 3/4 lasts me a year.

Come to think of it, that could be done online too but I have to visit the doctor in person for the weed card but at least I can go to a different dispensary if they're out of indica or whatever.

Anyhow, gotta go get my drugs.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

Samsung sells a TV called The Frame™ with customizable decorative bezels, and a subscription service to display hi-res irl art.

What you highlighted is "Creator Mode", a new mode that disables all those image-ruining garbage algorithms like motion smoothing that come enabled by default on modern TVs because having as many feature logos on TV boxes as possible sells well.

Hollywood pushed for this, it doesn't really have anything to do with NFTs outside of marketing.

Kaal posted:

To be honest, after spending some time dialing in Dolby Digital for a 7.1 HTS over the holidays I have major doubts about the fundamental merits of this endeavor. What creators want is a focused and overwhelming cinema experience, and what viewers want is a bright, high contrast, yet quiet and subtitled diversion while they chat and browse Instagram. Bridging that gap is quite problematic even without interjecting financial incentives.

Anything that disables motion smoothing and overscan is good.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 3, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Hollywood pushed for this, it doesn't really have anything to do with NFTs outside of marketing.

Yes i know, I'm just saying they already have a business model they can shift into NFT's so it doesn't surprise me that they're going there.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fame Douglas posted:

Anything that disables motion smoothing and overscan is good.

Also anything in the picture settings with "dynamic" in the name. Noise reduction too, since odds are you're not watching anything particularly noisy, and if you are, it's probably an artistic choice.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
A lot of tv mode stuff is poorly implemented and unnecessary. But there is an over belief that if you turn it all off you are watching the movie more purely. Where really a lot of media is not native to modern tvs and must already be converted to 'fit' and some tv mode stuff is meant to try and increase the quality of that.

Like if you have some media that plays at 30fps and your tv is 60hz you just show every frame for two refreshes. But a lot of media is 24 frames per second and there is no perfect way to show that in 60hz. It's fine and not a big deal, there is a standard for dragging the frame at slightly the wrong speed to fit it evenly in 60hz, and it's good enough and that gets baked into most media your tv will received but it's also out of the box unperfect. So there is a lot of algorithms that try to correct that to something better than the potentially imperfect 'standard' fix. Like if the tv doesn't try to fix it there is a slight hitching you can see in something like a panning shot. The way it's sent over accounts for it enough it's not terrible but on certain sorts of motion it's uniformly noticable and tvs want to fix that.

Same with stuff filmed interlaced. There is standard ways to 'fix' it and no signals your tv gets in 2022 are going to be interlaced but the standard fix already made the media 'impure' and there is a lot of attempts at algorithms to make it look a little better and more like it was meant to.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Also anything in the picture settings with "dynamic" in the name. Noise reduction too, since odds are you're not watching anything particularly noisy, and if you are, it's probably an artistic choice.

Digital noise reduction is generally most useful for old youtube videos and low bitrate content, like "1080p" back when ~6mbps counted.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I know we have a Tesla thread, but.

https://twitter.com/marcoarment/status/1477738618861068294

Owners are exchanging tips on where you find various other features, like the tire pressure indicator.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mister Facetious posted:

Samsung sells a TV called The Frame™ with customizable decorative bezels, and a subscription service to display hi-res irl art.
Well this is awful but at least I can look forward to somebody releasing NFTs that set the display parameters to invalid values and wreck the screens

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like if you have some media that plays at 30fps and your tv is 60hz you just show every frame for two refreshes. But a lot of media is 24 frames per second and there is no perfect way to show that in 60hz. It's fine and not a big deal, there is a standard for dragging the frame at slightly the wrong speed to fit it evenly in 60hz, and it's good enough and that gets baked into most media your tv will received but it's also out of the box unperfect. So there is a lot of algorithms that try to correct that to something better than the potentially imperfect 'standard' fix. Like if the tv doesn't try to fix it there is a slight hitching you can see in something like a panning shot. The way it's sent over accounts for it enough it's not terrible but on certain sorts of motion it's uniformly noticable and tvs want to fix that.
There's no real reason for an LCD panel not to display at 24fps. It's a mild amount of control electronics/software, it's not a big deal like on a CRT. Some video sources will only include 60fps (blue ray can but doesn't have to have a 24fps stream for movies), so a display mode that reversed 3:2 pulldown and then actually displayed at 24fps would be useful. I don't know if any actual displays do that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think all (most?) LCD/OLED TVs will switch to 24hz (or a multiple) refresh rate when fed the appropriate content. On my LG TV the option is called "Real Cinema", and of course that particular enhancement shouldn't be turned off, unlike the motion interpolation stuff and dynamic brightness/contrast that just makes the picture fade in/out in weird ways.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

All other car manufacturers: we want to make key info like speed readily visible, check out the HUD on this mass market hatchback

Tesla: we've buried the speedometer under 3 levels of menus in the media display

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
You know they would put ads in it if they thought they could get away with it. Stop at a red light, get a perfectly timed ad for the McDonald's down the block. You can even set Autopilot to go there at the press of a button and order through the integrated app while driving! I'm sure someone at Tesla has pitched this idea and is shocked that the lawyers said no.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Konstantin posted:

You know they would put ads in it if they thought they could get away with it. Stop at a red light, get a perfectly timed ad for the McDonald's down the block.

This is literally what Waze has been doing for years now.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Owners are exchanging tips on where you find various other features, like the tire pressure indicator.

Social media "engagement" algorithms but applied to your loving vehicle. Gotta keep those customers glued to their tesla screen so they can sell advertising directly into your face while going 60mph down a high way.

Konstantin posted:

You know they would put ads in it if they thought they could get away with it. Stop at a red light, get a perfectly timed ad for the McDonald's down the block. You can even set Autopilot to go there at the press of a button and order through the integrated app while driving! I'm sure someone at Tesla has pitched this idea and is shocked that the lawyers said no.

Waze already does that. When you slow down or stop you get an ad for road stop poo poo and can reroute your trip with a helpful tap of a button to go get a pumpkin hosed sugar bomb "CAFE BEVERAGE" presented by Cisco systems.

Crain fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 4, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Crain posted:

Waze already does that. When you slow down or stop you get an ad for road stop poo poo and can reroute your trip with a helpful tap of a button to go get a pumpkin hosed sugar bomb "CAFE BEVERAGE" presented by Cisco systems.

You don't pay for waze though, so it's more reasonable in my eyes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, but don't text and drive because that's incredible distracting, illegal and very dangerous.

Anyway, here's a big gently caress off TV screen that provides next to nothing required to safely operate the vehicle and is a magnet for your eyes.

Konstantin posted:

Oh, give it time. Don't even worry about it. For a good while here in FL, no billboards could even have moving screens. Now large stretches of our highways look like drive in by movie theaters.

The aggressive permeation of advertising into every aspect of anything you see or hear is the most frustrating and, for me, mentally draining part of tech. Like those TV screens that holler at you when you fill up your gas tank and all the promotional overlays that cover the TV screen when you watch poo poo, especially sports. Podcasts embed ads into their shows. It feels like a war of attrition to try and avoid being reminded 24/7 that products named Pepsi, Ford and Budweiser exist. I think it's unhealthy.

Looking forward to 5 years from now where every time I boot up my laptop, start my car or turn on my TV having to sit through an ad offering me some "extra big rear end fries!" first or having to swipe my credit to access something like the windshield wiper "feature". How long before these "smart refrigerators" figure out they can do what the gas pumps do and run ads for ketchup or some poo poo?

*CPU VOICE*: "Hell...O...BIG errr...BOAT....I see....you ARE out OF...OR-ange...juice"

*Tropicana ad plays*

Unless you aid to opt out.

I'm honestly not even joking here.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 4, 2022

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Lead out in cuffs posted:

In terms of full-lifecycle carbon emissions, EVs only reduce those by about a third over ICEVs. In particular, those batteries take a lot of energy to mine, make, and transport. And it's almost certain that they'd need to be replaced over the lifetime of a car (or the entire car replaced sooner). So the manufacturing emissions for an EV are substantially worse than for an ICEV. Also the net reduction in emissions for EVs assumes a reasonable mix of non-fossil-fuel electricity.

Which is to say that in the case you suppose, where the same oil were burned in power plants, any economy of scale would almost certainly be dwarfed by the greater emissions in manufacturing the EV in the first place.

so based on this, if you, a car shopper, go in with the primary goal of cutting down your emissions, you should pick up a used EV, right? that way you've already gotten the heavy amount of emissions from actually making the thing out of the way? and i have to think a used EV would be better than a used ICE, right?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

What would the thread say about tech's overall impact on the quality of news and journalism? Better, worse or the same?

My initial instinct tells me it's worse but the more I think about that I think that overall it's far better, even with so much disinformation out there. You have cameras literally everywhere now. People can get their stories out without needing a publisher or a reporter. Stories aren't (for the most part) killed by editors because their personal views or fear of upsetting someone who bought a full page ad, even though that still goes on. I think it's a bit easier in theory to vet sources and things like that. Just about everything someone says or does is recorded by someone or some thing, especially for famous and high profile people. In several countries torn apart by war, police crackdowns, military juntas and things like that, cell phones and Twitter are ways to get information out to the world.

Authors and journalists can easily look things up, check dates, source quotes, find correct spelling and can access things like arrest reports, court documents, vote tallies and historical records right from their desks.

On the other hand, anyone can publish anything they want and many people will believe it (see Qanon, FB, YouTube). A lot of people don't fact check or follow up stories and many of them only read click bait headlines that subvert, sensationalize or obfuscate the article. It's easier than ever to doctor photos, sometimes quotes and (increasingly) video. But all that poo poo has already been happening for centuries anyway and with FAR fewer actual sources of information or ways to check something's validity. Go back and read some old news articles and headlines sometime and think about the fact that there was only one newspaper in any given city. Almost no one could vet or cross check anything they were told or read.

Now, it's almost the opposite problem where instead of having to rely on one newspaper, 3 news networks and a few radio stations, people can be 100% selective with their news sources in ways that perpetuate confirmation bias, feed into the bubble and reinforce lies where the truth and the conclusion comes first and is then gets "supported" by the selective and often false implementation of "facts" that supposedly back it up. Then we argue about the facts, where they came from or whom people decide to trust and it leads to "CNN Fake News" and anyone dismissing anything they see on FOX or hear on talk radio. Places like Snopes eventually get labeled as liberal fronts and Infowars is The Truth That THEY Won't Tell You.

Often, early reports on a situation or story are overwhelmingly influenced and clouded by rumors and unsubstantiated reports as people rush to be first in a world where "first" means "immediately" so it usually takes time for poo poo to srot itself out. Clicks drive ad revenue, which is a bad model for communicating truth but, again, selling papers or Neilsen ratings used to do the same thing.

I guess it's a question of "is more better"? and I think that overall it is, despite all the noise, clickbait, gossip and outright bullshit that permeates.

TL/DR: The bolded parts

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

BiggerBoat posted:

What would the thread say about tech's overall impact on the quality of news and journalism? Better, worse or the same?

My initial instinct tells me it's worse but the more I think about that I think that overall it's far better, even with so much disinformation out there. You have cameras literally everywhere now. People can get their stories out without needing a publisher or a reporter. Stories aren't (for the most part) killed by editors because their personal views or fear of upsetting someone who bought a full page ad, even though that still goes on. I think it's a bit easier in theory to vet sources and things like that. Just about everything someone says or does is recorded by someone or some thing, especially for famous and high profile people. In several countries torn apart by war, police crackdowns, military juntas and things like that, cell phones and Twitter are ways to get information out to the world.

Authors and journalists can easily look things up, check dates, source quotes, find correct spelling and can access things like arrest reports, court documents, vote tallies and historical records right from their desks.

On the other hand, anyone can publish anything they want and many people will believe it (see Qanon, FB, YouTube). A lot of people don't fact check or follow up stories and many of them only read click bait headlines that subvert, sensationalize or obfuscate the article. It's easier than ever to doctor photos, sometimes quotes and (increasingly) video. But all that poo poo has already been happening for centuries anyway and with FAR fewer actual sources of information or ways to check something's validity. Go back and read some old news articles and headlines sometime and think about the fact that there was only one newspaper in any given city. Almost no one could vet or cross check anything they were told or read.

Now, it's almost the opposite problem where instead of having to rely on one newspaper, 3 news networks and a few radio stations, people can be 100% selective with their news sources in ways that perpetuate confirmation bias, feed into the bubble and reinforce lies where the truth and the conclusion comes first and is then gets "supported" by the selective and often false implementation of "facts" that supposedly back it up. Then we argue about the facts, where they came from or whom people decide to trust and it leads to "CNN Fake News" and anyone dismissing anything they see on FOX or hear on talk radio. Places like Snopes eventually get labeled as liberal fronts and Infowars is The Truth That THEY Won't Tell You.

Often, early reports on a situation or story are overwhelmingly influenced and clouded by rumors and unsubstantiated reports as people rush to be first in a world where "first" means "immediately" so it usually takes time for poo poo to srot itself out. Clicks drive ad revenue, which is a bad model for communicating truth but, again, selling papers or Neilsen ratings used to do the same thing.

I guess it's a question of "is more better"? and I think that overall it is, despite all the noise, clickbait, gossip and outright bullshit that permeates.

TL/DR: The bolded parts

Worse, because ML/AI Algorithms drive for engagement to appease and generate Ad dollars which simply distorts reality. the 24 hour news cycle is one of the worst aspects of modern life.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
In good news, Elizabeth Holmes was found guilty on most charges. Eagerly awaiting the sentence!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Check out what is a punishable crime and what isn't.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

They're made in California; they didn't even plan for rain affecting their cars, nevermind a North American winter.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
The Holmes trial was ongoing while I was reading Empire of Pain, which documents Purdue Pharma and the Sacklers, and it was very telling how differently the government reacts when you screw rich people out of their money.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The book about Holmes, Bad Blood, is extremely fun.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Pillbug
Yeah, the dark side of her trial is that she was only found guilty of defrauding capital, not the people who were actually hurt by it, the patients.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Crain posted:

Worse, because ML/AI Algorithms drive for engagement to appease and generate Ad dollars which simply distorts reality. the 24 hour news cycle is one of the worst aspects of modern life.

I suppose. But wasn't there always news worth reporting 24/7 before the advent of cable that was simply limited by the ability of printing presses, landlines and fax machines to report? Wasn't it and hasn't it always been advertising driven? I think everything is just more magnified and faster now.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, the dark side of her trial is that she was only found guilty of defrauding capital, not the people who were actually hurt by it, the patients.
I think it has mostly due to do with the fact that it was not proven that she was directly responsible *beyond any reasonable doubt* for hurting those patients.

It's interesting to see what will come of Sunny Balwani's trial, since he was the more "hands-on" person regarding the actual lab day-to-day.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Less Fat Luke posted:

I think there's a lot of trading done purely on sentiment which could be just as valid as any other methodology, but it's weird even in this year to see something as negative as this recall to happen and the stock not have tons of panic sellers dropping the price.

Anyone holding tesla stocks at this point isn't expecting musk to run it like a functioning business. Tesla is Doobie's Dog House with more money.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I suppose. But wasn't there always news worth reporting 24/7 before the advent of cable that was simply limited by the ability of printing presses, landlines and fax machines to report? Wasn't it and hasn't it always been advertising driven? I think everything is just more magnified and faster now.

Depends on what you mean by news.

In the past, a minority getting brutalized by police wasn't a multi-day affair, it was simply "police respond to civil disturbance," 1 minute and done (or not at all).

Also in the past, there wasn't the need to be fully aware of a multitude of things. That said, do I actually need to know about the dozen or so different ways that entirely different regions of the country, let alone world, are doing on a day by day basis with regards to climate change? No, not really... but I do, because I feel like knowing more about that will help me push for the right things to help mitigate climate changes effects (and possibly act for the right things to get us to decrease the impact of climate change in general) for myself, my family, the country, and the world.

But do I really need to do that daily? Or even weekly? Maybe monthly?

Apply this to any other number of things. Each person will have things that will impact them more severely, so each person's list is different. Yet, when we gather in internet communities, we often have so widely different #1s to our lists that each other person talking about their #1 makes us all want to read more and get more involved because all this poo poo is important.

Overall I think that tech has been a net positive on information dissemination, but it's close.

The anger chambers of social media algorithms that seek to make people more angry rather than helping them to understand a problem and work to correct it is a big problem.

The disinformation campaigns - in coordination with the algorithms - that can create an entirely new factual reality for someone online is a big problem. People refusing to leave their echo chambers to consider other ideas to refine their own is a big part of this. People being convinced that nihilism is a solution so that others can continue their efforts unimpeded is a big part of this.

The widening of the chastisement groups who don't care for rehabilitation of others is a big problem. It's a big ol' shot of dopamine to feel righteous and correct while dumping on a shithead on social media. But do we just want to feel good, or do we want to actually create good?

The giant hose of information that is constantly dumping on us is something that we're not designed - biologically or through education - to take. We need to be able to do other things than simply read ADHD-like updates on a myriad of topics we are only novices in, but in trying to choose outlets to distill down the important facts and encourage us in the right direction, we find out they're surreptitiously funded by an intelligence agency, or a mega billionaire, or a religious cult, or just some random who has a pet issue they sneak in to every other thing or who wants some fame. The slow destruction of critical thinking and learning in education by moderates and conservatives is a part of this.

But then there are people who suddenly find themselves working towards a better place, there are stories told and acted upon that would never have been told before.

There are ways that tech has made the Information Age better, but there are some big ways its made it worse and going forward, I am definitely worried the bad things will continue to get amplified because of short term thinking on the part of the companies involved.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

it's a mixed bag. the biggest case of journalistic malpractice of the modern era took place in the leadup to the iraq war, which was when the biggest impacts of digital had yet to hit. none of the people complicit in that crime have been punished, and many still enjoy comfortable six figure salaries at prestigious positions at their news organizations and are still framed as "respectable" truth-tellers. it wasn't digital that did that. plus a lot of times the "consensus" of agreed-upon facts was just what 200 or so white editors across the country thought was important. if you look at the moral panics of previous eras like the satanic scare or drug misinformation there's plenty of partisan conspiracy peddling in both newspapers and tv, just that it was done at a higher level to serve an "official" cause (like throwing people in jail). power-flattering toadies were and are still far more common than brave truth tellers.

on the other hand its also true that the reporting industry has been gutted in the US and there are plenty of "news deserts." however i would argue this has more to do with the financialization of the sector and poor policy choices than "tech" itself. reporting is a public good and should be treated as such, which means not allowing murdoch and sinclair to create massive unregulated propaganda networks.

it's similar to the opiod crisis. rather than it being a problem of new "superdrugs" its a broader failure of lack of opportunity, horrendously poor and counterproductive drug policy, absence of a real welfare state, and criminally bad actors enriching themselves with impunity at the expense of the public. the new drugs are bad but a symptom of bigger problems. same for news misinfo.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

on the other other hand

https://twitter.com/ryantate/status/1478436201099145223

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

With every day that passes, it seems more and more clear that copyright infringement is not so much a victimless crime as a moral imperative

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

BiggerBoat posted:

It's a mixed bag. On one hand, your information is no longer controlled by what the dozen old farts controlling your locally available news outlets deem important, for better or worse, but on the other hand the stranglehold Google and Facebook have on ads has obliterated the revenues of many media outlets, particularly local ones.

The rising relative cost of labor and the lower cost of distribution has also meant that original reporting has given way to lazy recycling of content. The largest newspaper in this country struck a deal with the Wall Street Journal and now a lot of the content of the business & economy pages feels oddly familiar – because I've read it in English yesterday.

In effect, all the world's news are at your fingertips, but at the same time all the world's news has become much more homogenised and consolidated.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

abelwingnut posted:

so based on this, if you, a car shopper, go in with the primary goal of cutting down your emissions, you should pick up a used EV, right? that way you've already gotten the heavy amount of emissions from actually making the thing out of the way? and i have to think a used EV would be better than a used ICE, right?

You're probably better off asking this in AI, but it depends a lot on a) the quality of the vehicle in general, and b) how much life is left in the battery.

The battery is about half or more of the weight of an EV, and if you have to replace it right away, then you're negating a lot of the emissions you were trying to save. (It also probably costs way more than the actual used EV you're buying.)

And if your EV is a Tesla, then they're built so badly that they just had to recall one-third of them ever made in the USA, so lol if you think it'll still be mechanically functional in ten years. They also operate the battery at ranges way outside what other manufacturers do, in order to claim longer trip distances, which absolutely kills battery life, so lol if you think the battery will still be functional either.

IDK, you're probably best off buying a used hybrid, or something.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Pillbug
If you want to cut emissions, do a lot of highway driving, but cannot afford an EV: VW TDIs actually do really well emissions wise especially post fix. That or a Prius which is a really low emissions car that is fine for just getting where you need to go.

but I know when I was EV shopping, the biggest hurdle with EVs in my preferred price range was nearly every one had battery issues or needed a new battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

On the subject of journalism specifically...

I'd say the overall impact is negative, because of a factor even more fundamental: the ability to know exactly how many people were interested enough to look at any given article, exactly how many people read through the whole article, and exactly how many people decided to send the article to someone else.

Of course, it's been possible to kind of estimate that by looking at paper sales or TV viewership at particular times. But the data online is far more granular, and breaks down to the specific article level. That really has an impact on the incentive structure of news, driving things toward clickbait, misleading headlines, and controversial opinion pieces.

Combine that with the ability to publish instantly at any time of the day, without even waiting for the 7pm news, and reporters are incentivized to rush in a constant battle for scoops and rumors that might get people stirred up.

On the subject of news as a whole, it's a mixed bag. It breaks our dependence on well-funded mainstream news organizations, which can be both a blessing (see: much better info about police shootings) and a curse (conspiracy alt-media can click-farm even better than mainstream news).