Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
ICE or EV, whatever, it's all unfathomably destructive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Cars in general are bad for just about every facet of society.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the main pollution issue with EVs (once they are actually being driven) is pollution coming from tire wear right?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

actionjackson posted:

the main pollution issue with EVs (once they are actually being driven) is pollution coming from tire wear right?

EVs don't magically create electricity, the pollution is just pawned off on whatever electric facility you're plugged into.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The main pollution issue with EVs is [checks notes] cryptocurrency?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The main pollution issue with EVs is [checks notes] cryptocurrency?

lol apparently so

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
the main pollution issue is that they sell the lie that we can continue living with a car based culture

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

actionjackson posted:

Main? No. This isn't some problem where one factor explains most of the variance. Manufacturing is destructive. Plastic wear is destructive. The hydrophobic cesspits of runoff we call roads are destructive. The light pollution that illuminates them is destructive.

Cars are an ensemble of death that can never meaningfully be broken down into a primary cause.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Main? No. This isn't some problem where one factor explains most of the variance. Manufacturing is destructive. Plastic wear is destructive. The hydrophobic cesspits of runoff we call roads are destructive. The light pollution that illuminates them is destructive.

Cars are an ensemble of death that can never meaningfully be broken down into a primary cause.

Well this is all very unfortunate as our nation and culture are entirely about cars. More than about humans, in fact.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
americans, and humanity at large, will die en masse before giving up cars

poo poo, hundreds of thousands of people die every year from the things just loving crashing--not even the disastrous effects of them merely existing

sometime i think about an old friend who asked me a few years ago "so are you still against cars?"

yep

always

forever

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I can never communicate how much I hate Jay Leno thanks to the limits of language :( loving piece of poo poo guy. gently caress! I hate him!

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIqgNBJNwgg

people should only drive cars this size

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

T-Paine posted:

https://twitter.com/Ayishas12/status/1478339725152952321
Looking forward to seeing more young people coming to grips with the fact that their parents and grandparents ushered them into hell

These dumb kids are going to waste their 20s being mopey about climate change. Enjoy partial collapse before the total collapse, idiots.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The Wisest Moron posted:

These dumb kids are going to waste their 20s being mopey about climate change. Enjoy partial collapse before the total collapse, idiots.

that’s where I’m at. make as much money and travel as much as I can before things really break down. (money is to buy things that will be useful in a full break down, just so I can live long enough to watch everything really fail and laugh the whole way).

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

Alobar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIqgNBJNwgg

people should only drive cars this size

the notion of private transportation should be abolished

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Absolutely gobsmacked by the awesome luck we managed to get in equipping the vast majority of the world's populace with cameras for capturing the end of the world AND accessible mass media that enables everyone to share and see those same images. I mean we really knocked it out of the park. Normally you'd have to watch a recreation of panicked families fleeing a Chuck-E-Cheese wildfire in Colorado in December and we get it live and in real time or very near real time. Just fantastic timing, really and truly. Don't die yet, the sights you'll see!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

it is tremendous content

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

pissinthewind posted:

the notion of private transportation should be abolished

why do you hate america/freedom/etc??? :911:

but seriously, yeah you're right

there are so many loving cars loving everywhere

i had a friend offer to give me his old car because i guess his parents were buying him a new one, and he got offended when i told him i literally can't loving afford to own a car even if i'm given one for free

gas money, insurance money, finding parking, paying parking tickets, general upkeep, etc

dude thought he was doing me a favor but he was literally trying to give me more bills when i'm barely scraping by

e: this is the same guy that stopped on the other side of a busy intersection to open his door and invite a cat into the car, in the hood, in oakland, and didn't understand why i was freaking out "DON'T LET THAT CAT INTO THE CAR?!!? DRIVE!!! THIS IS A BUSY INTERSECTION!!!" "relaaax, there aren't any cars coming." i also don't have the money to go to the loving ER because i got hosed up by a random loving stray cat.

Alobar has issued a correction as of 19:53 on Jan 4, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
pigeon poo poo

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Absolutely gobsmacked by the awesome luck we managed to get in equipping the vast majority of the world's populace with cameras for capturing the end of the world AND accessible mass media that enables everyone to share and see those same images. I mean we really knocked it out of the park. Normally you'd have to watch a recreation of panicked families fleeing a Chuck-E-Cheese wildfire in Colorado in December and we get it live and in real time or very near real time. Just fantastic timing, really and truly. Don't die yet, the sights you'll see!

I wonder sometimes what it would have been like if world war 2 had Internet and mobile phone cameras.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Cloks posted:

the main pollution issue is that they sell the lie that we can continue living with a car based culture

Just wait until AVs get rammed down our throats and see how much more sprawl and highways get pushed for as the world burns.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

defending every electric vehicle vs internal combustion engine comparison as completely accounting for all systematic inputs for the past 20 years is a pretty bold stance

of course not every comparison accounts for all inputs but that's not the point. the point is any comparative assessment on a vehicle-to-vehicle cradle-to-grave basis performed by someone who has any background in the field has accounted for extraction, manufacturing, and use-phase energy origins. it's not hard to find these analyses. if a study doesn't account for those things it's because that's not the point of the study.

now would a CEO have their marketing folks cherry pick numbers and hide the fine print to make EVs look better? of course.

would the World Resources Institute hire a bunch of ex-World Bank execs and take a ton of corporate cash to create a GHG reporting standard and develop an intentionally hamstrung framework that makes it easy to ignore established methodologies? absolutely

would they lobby to use that framework as the basis for regulations so as to avoid analyzing upstream impacts and end-of-life "because we just don't have the tools to evaluate that yet"? yep

quote:

https://www.epa.gov/climateleadership/scope-1-and-scope-2-inventory-guidance

According to the GHG Corporate Protocol, all organizations should quantify scope 1 and 2 emissions when reporting and disclosing GHG emissions, while scope 3 emissions quantification is not required.

as has been said, the problem is not EVs in particular being better or worse than ICE-Vs, it's the system that EVs are used to perpetuate.

honestly I don't have a dog in this fight, all cars are bad, but there's much worse climate reporting behavior going on than bad EV analyses which can be easily rebutted.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Perry Mason Jar posted:

more like chuck-e-wheeze

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
With regards to carbon capture. I'm guessing that's brought forward a solution so we don't have to reduce emissions.

But do we even know how viable and safe it is to pump gigatonnes of carbon into the earth. And guarantee it won't seep back up like methane from melting permafrost

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Every bit of carbon captured means someone gets to emit even more.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Marenghi posted:

With regards to carbon capture. I'm guessing that's brought forward a solution so we don't have to reduce emissions.

But do we even know how viable and safe it is to pump gigatonnes of carbon into the earth. And guarantee it won't seep back up like methane from melting permafrost

carbon pumped into the ground to frack oil up is probably going to stay in the otherwise sealed chambers

probably

who knows, really, but it's the probable outcome as long as the company properly seals everything off afterward (hahahahahahaha)

a win/win for oil companies when you think about it

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Complications posted:

carbon pumped into the ground to frack oil up is probably going to stay in the otherwise sealed chambers

probably

who knows, really, but it's the probable outcome as long as the company properly seals everything off afterward (hahahahahahaha)

a win/win for oil companies when you think about it

And when they cause massive earthquakes and landslides, they won't be liable in any way!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

i love the mental image of "running every car ever made backwards for its entire lifespan and pumping the result into the ground." It's an impossibly large feat and the energy gradient is awful.

even then it doesn't even account for coal and other stationary sources, but we don't have nearly as good an intuitive sense of scale with those.

btw here's a good simple example of reporting EV emissions scenarios with explicit manufacturing phase impacts:

it's easy to see how on a mixed grid (2014 EU average, 25% coal, 27% nuclear, 15% gas, 27% renewable) EVs dominate ICE despite higher manufacturing impacts, and it's also easy to see how that doesn't matter at all if you're making more cars at a record rate and driving more miles per car.

Note that for the US, in Seattle an EV will be much closer to the renewable number (93% hydro power), and in the Midwest (MISO region) it'll be closer to 100% coal (38% coal, 26% gas, 14% nuclear, 9% renewable...), maybe worse than ICE.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Don't Look Up sounds like someone wanted to rewrite the planet killing asteroid from The Last Policeman as a take on Idiocracy instead of a detective novel.

idiocracy parody of the U.S. was america gently caress yeah whereas Don't Look Up was heckin america. decidedly less interesting

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
watering plants with gatorade is leagues ahead of don't look up writing

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

i love the mental image of "running every car ever made backwards for its entire lifespan and pumping the result into the ground." It's an impossibly large feat and the energy gradient is awful.

even then it doesn't even account for coal and other stationary sources, but we don't have nearly as good an intuitive sense of scale with those.

btw here's a good simple example of reporting EV emissions scenarios with explicit manufacturing phase impacts:

it's easy to see how on a mixed grid (2014 EU average, 25% coal, 27% nuclear, 15% gas, 27% renewable) EVs dominate ICE despite higher manufacturing impacts, and it's also easy to see how that doesn't matter at all if you're making more cars at a record rate and driving more miles per car.

Note that for the US, in Seattle an EV will be much closer to the renewable number (93% hydro power), and in the Midwest (MISO region) it'll be closer to 100% coal (38% coal, 26% gas, 14% nuclear, 9% renewable...), maybe worse than ICE.

UCS has put out research including specific US grid mixes and even in the most coal heavy parts of the grid a new EV beats the majority of new ICE.

But the issue is our car-centric society and of course EVs don’t fix that.

In the perfect world maybe we’d be building more short range EVs now as we build out real rail, mass transit, densification, etc. Drop the size of the car fleet by 90% or whatever and use the EVs that get built for last-mile rural deliveries or whatever mass trans and rail can’t cover.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So I have a fun "infrastructure" post.

Last week, I was in LA driving back North. The rain is insane. Like, dumping. I use GPS to get on the I5, but apple maps reroutes me to 14. Makes no sense, and I don't realize this till almost 40 minutes into the drive. So I turn around, and get back on 5 towards the grapevine. And get stuck for an hour in traffic. Then, right at the start of the grapevine, the police have it blocked off, because i5 is shut down. Totally. For rain.

so back to 14 I go. Only, it's me, and every single other car and truck heading that way too. Long story short, I get stuck in mud in the high dessert, (tried to pull a u turn on a dessert road, and the mud instantly stuck my hatch and half a dozen other sedans) get pulled free by a mom and her son driving around in a giant lifted truck looking happier than pigs with a chain, and then was stuck on a 30 mile section of highway to Bakersfield for 3 hours.

I left at 7AM, and pulled into a cheap motel off of i5, just north of Bakersfield. at 9:30PM. I was in the car for 14 hours, and drove roughly 150 miles. And all I could think was, (that was just some rain. And it disrupted so many people for a day). So when this East Coast car jam up for a day in frozen conditions hits just a few days later, I just laugh.

Also, the roads were terrible. We're talking potholes I avoided because I'm pretty sure they would cause a flat. Also, half of the rest stops were closed on i5.

Things aren't bad.... yet.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

LionArcher posted:

So I have a fun "infrastructure" post.

Last week, I was in LA driving back North. The rain is insane. Like, dumping. I use GPS to get on the I5, but apple maps reroutes me to 14. Makes no sense, and I don't realize this till almost 40 minutes into the drive. So I turn around, and get back on 5 towards the grapevine. And get stuck for an hour in traffic. Then, right at the start of the grapevine, the police have it blocked off, because i5 is shut down. Totally. For rain.

so back to 14 I go. Only, it's me, and every single other car and truck heading that way too. Long story short, I get stuck in mud in the high dessert, (tried to pull a u turn on a dessert road, and the mud instantly stuck my hatch and half a dozen other sedans) get pulled free by a mom and her son driving around in a giant lifted truck looking happier than pigs with a chain, and then was stuck on a 30 mile section of highway to Bakersfield for 3 hours.

I left at 7AM, and pulled into a cheap motel off of i5, just north of Bakersfield. at 9:30PM. I was in the car for 14 hours, and drove roughly 150 miles. And all I could think was, (that was just some rain. And it disrupted so many people for a day). So when this East Coast car jam up for a day in frozen conditions hits just a few days later, I just laugh.

Also, the roads were terrible. We're talking potholes I avoided because I'm pretty sure they would cause a flat. Also, half of the rest stops were closed on i5.

Things aren't bad.... yet.

The grapevine was probably shut down due to snow/icing.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That's another thing I didn't really like about the film. I guess it's not really relevant to the film's message but it annoyed me that the discoverer was somehow the first to notice it in the sky by sheer chance and when they looked at it it was just loving massive already. And then they spread the word and everyone was looking at it whereas before nobody had noticed it for some reason.

In reality people would be hunting for it from day 1, everyone would know where to look (using a constellation or something) and it would slowly become visible to ever less powerful telescopes until it could be seen by the naked eye while squinting. But I guess there's not much drama in that.

I don't think it would be a better movie if they cut to a scene of a bunch of internet forum astronomers using their own telescopes on day 2 to look at it and start doomposting - a thing certainly happening in the background of the movie.

Am I misremembering... wasn't the comet not actually visible to the naked eye until like 2/3rds of the way into the movie, after the Dr. Mindy freak out rant?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

tiberion02 posted:

I don't think it would be a better movie if they cut to a scene of a bunch of internet forum astronomers using their own telescopes on day 2 to look at it and start doomposting - a thing certainly happening in the background of the movie.

Am I misremembering... wasn't the comet not actually visible to the naked eye until like 2/3rds of the way into the movie, after the Dr. Mindy freak out rant?

If a State Uni researcher could see it, other observatories could too. Hell, even US researchers have to rent time on observatories in other countries. Chile has excellent ones because the Atacama desert has no real weather.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/04/1070308372/elmo-sesame-street-rocco

it'll be ok everyone, just smile :unsmigghh:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Good news! Climate change is solved

https://streamable.com/2itr06

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It's not an accident or coincidence, the film is always saying Believe the Experts. It directs you to take Science on faith. Which is not how science is correctly practiced but is a liberal credo despite.

since I'm not a climate scientist I have no other choice than to take it on faith that these people who have been educated to know their poo poo are right
isn't that how things usually work

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Alobar posted:

why do you hate america/freedom/etc??? :911:

but seriously, yeah you're right

there are so many loving cars loving everywhere

i had a friend offer to give me his old car because i guess his parents were buying him a new one, and he got offended when i told him i literally can't loving afford to own a car even if i'm given one for free

gas money, insurance money, finding parking, paying parking tickets, general upkeep, etc

dude thought he was doing me a favor but he was literally trying to give me more bills when i'm barely scraping by

e: this is the same guy that stopped on the other side of a busy intersection to open his door and invite a cat into the car, in the hood, in oakland, and didn't understand why i was freaking out "DON'T LET THAT CAT INTO THE CAR?!!? DRIVE!!! THIS IS A BUSY INTERSECTION!!!" "relaaax, there aren't any cars coming." i also don't have the money to go to the loving ER because i got hosed up by a random loving stray cat.

i mean take the car and then immediately sell it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Doctor Jeep posted:

since I'm not a climate scientist I have no other choice than to take it on faith that these people who have been educated to know their poo poo are right
isn't that how things usually work

right and our society is collapsing precisely because those experts who "have been educated to know their poo poo" have lied and conned enough people enough times that no one can trust them unless someone that you already agree with says to trust them.

if society was functioning correctly none of us would need to know anything about the global warming potential of methane, the varying efficacy of mask types, or the signs of dangerous failure in concrete. instead our society is failing and we can't trust the experts on any of those topics, so instead we're all forced to "do our own research"

neolibs/libs like to mock the right wing idiots who "do their research on facebook" while they wisely have been educated on the *correct* sources of information. But even then, this thread knows that smugly saying "climate change is no big deal, a noble winning economist said so!" is just the boogie version of "doing their research on facebook."

and this process of not just ideological splintering but epistemological splintering shatters the shared definition of reality.

and how can a society survive for long if it can't even agree on what reality is.