Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

bird with big dick posted:

Which wheels did you get?

To keep from going too off-thread, the stereo is the most disappointing thing about the car and apparently the higher spec B&O option sucks but just more expensively and with RGB ambient lighting.

(wheels are Rotiform LAS-R 18x8.5 et35)

Further contribution....

Did you know that the reason your stereo has such a high noise floor is actually because the dress plates for your wall outlets are inferior?

https://www.synergisticresearch.com/accessories/power/carbon-fiber-duplex-cover/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DoesNotCompute posted:

To keep from going too off-thread, the stereo is the most disappointing thing about the car and apparently the higher spec B&O option sucks but just more expensively and with RGB ambient lighting.

That's a real drat shame, because the original implementation in the A8 was ridiculously good.

(I worked at B&O while it was being developed)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

There were various levels of B&O installs in Audis, the one in the R8 sucked poo poo because there's no loving room to put anything in there. We had the R8 and an A8 from a local dealer to play with when we opened our flagship store and the A8 sounded real good which made the more expensive R8 look pretty poor. I'm not sure how much actual development input they had in the systems, I interviewed at JLR for an audio position and they said they'd love to have B&O but picked Meridian because they were the most prestigious of UK audio brands (they thought they had to keep everything UK for the customers). All the stuff was developed for those in-house and Meridian sent guys over occasionally to either say it's good or it sucks.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

KozmoNaut posted:

That's a real drat shame, because the original implementation in the A8 was ridiculously good.

(I worked at B&O while it was being developed)

A friend has the A8 with it, it's wild. The A4 implementation is massively disappointing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Amusingly, it's called the Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System, or B&O rear end.

I hope they didn't change that.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

nielsm posted:

I have a new digital audio link concept, if anyone needs ideas to implement:

Fiber optic link, but you can tune which color light is used for transmission.

Deep blue for optimal jazz, a warm yellow for opera, leaf green for the evergreen pops, and ultra violet for the darkest of black metal.
Complex pieces like The Four Seasons may also need you to tune the color between movements.

Just set it to 432 nm (it matches nature’s perfect tuning frequency) and rake it in.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

What brands were they out of interest?
B&W MM-1 and KEF X300A. Bottom of the line stuff from both brands but both died like a month outside of the warranty period. And given the costs to ship back and forth along with repair costs it just wasn't worth it. Meanwhile I've seen passives last 30 years plus without issues.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 17, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Just set it to 432 nm (it matches nature’s perfect tuning frequency) and rake it in.

If we're doing nature's perfect tuning frequency, why not a device that naturally converts music to the superior frequency? Just slow everything down slightly, so 440 becomes 432. Special settings for orchestral music that is ISO 16 noncompliant.

We're going for a different breed of audiophile, because it will absolutely impact the sound, but I think it could work.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvme-ssd-for-audiophiles

drat, nice caps! Tom's are cowards for not calling it total BS.

If you thought a $2,500 audiophile-focused ethernet switch was strange, then you'll also be amused with this NVMe SSD designed specifically for audiophiles. Last known to be in the sampling phase, the new device was posted to the Audiophilestyle forums. Supposedly, the drive can increase audio quality and give you real 3D sound along with an experience that only comes from vinyl recordings, but don't look for this drive on our list of Best SSDs any time soon — its impact on audio quality is questionable, to say the least.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

quote:

The drive comes with 1TB of 3D TLC flash, but it only has 333GB of usable storage capacity.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

IBM does that in their MLC SSD drives. But that's enterprise grade "this poo poo absolutely cannot fail" drives with a real purpose (but I think they only double provision), not woo-level bullshit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

IBM does that in their MLC SSD drives. But that's enterprise grade "this poo poo absolutely cannot fail" drives with a real purpose (but I think they only double provision), not woo-level bullshit.

There's no such thing as a "this poo poo absolutely cannot fail" drive - that's what RAID, HA, DR and, if all else fails, backups are for.

IBM probably does it for wear leveling since replacing drives a lot is very annoying to enterprise users.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

KillHour posted:

There's no such thing as a "this poo poo absolutely cannot fail" drive - that's what RAID, HA, DR and, if all else fails, backups are for.

IBM probably does it for wear leveling since replacing drives a lot is very annoying to enterprise users.

That's more what I mean, yeah. Heavy enterprise workloads would blow out write cycles in a hurry.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DoesNotCompute posted:

(wheels are Rotiform LAS-R 18x8.5 et35)

Further contribution....

Did you know that the reason your stereo has such a high noise floor is actually because the dress plates for your wall outlets are inferior?

https://www.synergisticresearch.com/accessories/power/carbon-fiber-duplex-cover/

Nice. I looked at those for winter wheels but then decided to use the factories for winter and get new wider summers but I don’t think Rotiform makes the rights size/offset for that.

Ford switched from Sony to B&O for their “high end” systems and I’m pretty sure they just changed the sticker on the speaker grill. The system isn’t terrible in my Mach-e though. I need to see if I can fit a little sub under the false floor in the trunk.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bird with big dick posted:

Nice. I looked at those for winter wheels but then decided to use the factories for winter and get new wider summers but I don’t think Rotiform makes the rights size/offset for that.

Ford switched from Sony to B&O for their “high end” systems and I’m pretty sure they just changed the sticker on the speaker grill. The system isn’t terrible in my Mach-e though. I need to see if I can fit a little sub under the false floor in the trunk.

the Sony radio in my FiST is way nicer sounding than the Fisher Price interior materials would have you believe

I’m terrified I’m gonna snap the volume knob one day

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Your knob is a piece of poo poo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Your knob is a piece of poo poo.

you diss my hog, you best be ready to grease....my....dogg?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Subaru’s stock head unit also has a volume knob and is remarkably decent. CarPlay can gently caress up if you use a cheap USB cable, but once you understand that it’s easy to fix.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

F4rt5 posted:

I just don't get why these audiophiles don't go for a pair of Yamaha HS or other actual studio monitors that actual studio engineers use to check the sound of their actual recording and mastering sessions? 'cause it seems they /want/ the most /accurate/ reproduction of sound, and using the same equipment as in the studio the music was made in would pretty much settle that?

(I know the answer I just had to say it)

Genelecs or GTFO

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Sorbus posted:

Genelecs or GTFO

Sure, wouldn't mind a pair of S30 but they are prohibitively expensive for what they do.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

F4rt5 posted:

Sure, wouldn't mind a pair of S30 but they are prohibitively expensive for what they do.

I got a second hand pair of 8020A:s as computer speakers but used genelecs are easy to find here in Finland as people use them in home setups.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sorbus posted:

Genelecs or GTFO

ADAM, Neumann get close. But yeah, p much if you have the budget.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Adam’s T series is a lot of bang for not a lot of bux. The only real audio downside compared to the A series can be taken care of by placing them where the rear bass ports won’t be smashed against a wall, and I rarely find having the power controls on the back to be a problem.

Still made the guy in line behind me at the store say, “that’s the price for ONE?!” tho.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Adam’s T series is a lot of bang for not a lot of bux. The only real audio downside compared to the A series can be taken care of by placing them where the rear bass ports won’t be smashed against a wall, and I rarely find having the power controls on the back to be a problem.

Still made the guy in line behind me at the store say, “that’s the price for ONE?!” tho.

lol, anything beyond the $150 for your high end data harvesting Bluetooth speaker or basic Sonos unit and people start to look at you like you’re nuts

Same thing with $200 soundbars and home theater stuff.

funny when you consider what most of us would consider an “entry level” 2-channel system, nevermind a 5.1 channel HT

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

DoesNotCompute posted:

drat, if they did away with the bullshit pseudoscience and just said they looked cool and cost what they cost because CF is expensive I’d kinda not really have an issue with these.

I’m already planning on using hospital grade outlets on a dedicated run to my stereo and I’d totally spring for cool-looking wall plates if they ended up visible.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Wonder if we're going to see anything insane out of CES this year

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mr. Mercury posted:

CES is mostly for big companies and random novelty bluetooth speaker manufacturers. Munich High End and other local shows are where the gold for this thread is mined.

It looks like open baffle speakers are making a comeback in the grognard world, I bet manufacturers love those because it means they don't have to do any enclosure tuning. Instead your customer is left to figure it out in their room!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EqRo9qbWpQ

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mr. Mercury posted:

High End Munich has replaced CES for the audiophile companies.

qirex posted:

It looks like open baffle speakers are making a comeback in the grognard world, I bet manufacturers love those because it means they don't have to do any enclosure tuning. Instead your customer is left to figure it out in their room!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EqRo9qbWpQ

I met the guy behind that company at RMAF years ago. The demo was phenomenal, and his high-end speaker was under $2k/pair at the time.

I briefly considered buying a pair, and then remembered that setting them up in my room (open plan) would have completely sucked.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Well so far we have ear dehumidifiers and mark Levinson 1000$ headphones tubes to a consumer target so there's that I guess

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

https://www.byredo.com/us_en/olfactive-stereophonique-scent-machine%E2%80%8B

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That reminds me of an old avs post that went like, "eventually weed is the most cost effective speaker upgrade."

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I'm curious what they think of DSP stuff. I recently got a measurement mic and corrected some stuff and the results are amazing. I imagine this is cheating because a Playstation One (1 (the special one)) is known to be the finest source that mankind has ever created, and if it doesn't sound right it must be the harsh metal screws holding your wall outlet covers on.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The real knowledgeable people know it's good, real audiophiles know it is the devil preventing them from hearing music the way it was meant to be heard

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah there's a lot of disagreement about signal processing at all, some people are 'purists' [outside of course of all the magical cables, fuses and noise harvesters that are constantly filling out the bass and widening the soundstage]. Some dudes are cool with eq, crossovers, etc. provided they're all analog [this means more boxes in your rack which in turn indicates a mightier audio dong]. Of course in the digital world it's super easy to measure the output of a device against the input waveform but that all sounds like computer chips and poo poo.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Lowclock posted:

I'm curious what they think of DSP stuff. I recently got a measurement mic and corrected some stuff and the results are amazing. I imagine this is cheating because a Playstation One (1 (the special one)) is known to be the finest source that mankind has ever created, and if it doesn't sound right it must be the harsh metal screws holding your wall outlet covers on.

I'm wondering if they ever go to spots for live music where the difference between a well set up and tuned PA and one that's been thrown together by someone who doesn't know anything is night and day. I've been in places where the sound system has done justice to what's being played and ones where the sound system is actively attacking your hearing and ruining any sound sent through it. I'll let you guess which ones have been extensively EQd.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 31, 2022

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The standard, or “absolute sound,” is the ability to recreate the sound of an acoustic instrument playing in a real space, so a true audiophile would never reduce themselves to attending an amplified concert.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

TheMadMilkman posted:

The standard, or “absolute sound,” is the ability to recreate the sound of an acoustic instrument playing in a real space, so a true audiophile would never reduce themselves to attending an amplified concert.
The wonderful side implication, of course, is that anything that doesn't use acoustic instruments isn't worth listening to.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

qirex posted:

Yeah there's a lot of disagreement about signal processing at all, some people are 'purists' [outside of course of all the magical cables, fuses and noise harvesters that are constantly filling out the bass and widening the soundstage]. Some dudes are cool with eq, crossovers, etc. provided they're all analog [this means more boxes in your rack which in turn indicates a mightier audio dong]. Of course in the digital world it's super easy to measure the output of a device against the input waveform but that all sounds like computer chips and poo poo.

I wonder if different DSPs could be marketed to different genre listeners.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

qirex posted:

The wonderful side implication, of course, is that anything that doesn't use acoustic instruments isn't worth listening to.

I take it you've not talked to classical music nerds? This is a very real demographic, with a very small overlap to audiophiles on account of the recording not being able to reproduce the true acoustic sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Lowclock posted:

My MiniDSP with Dirac Live is bananas magic.

Using a DDRC-88D+BM + RME ADI-2 FS AD/DA on my ESL-63’s and a small pile of random subwoofers.

Magic. Absolutely magic. Not subtle, easily the best upgrade I’ve ever done. It’s like wearing headphones with perfect bass you can feel.

I plan to grab the silver plastic 1990’s shelf system speakers I have at my shop and see what Dirac can do with them, mostly because I’m a child and want to see what damage my MC2100 and Crown K2 can afflict on them but also I’m curious just how magical Dirac is.