Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Serf posted:

if the us did actually bomb the international effort then it only strengthens the narrative

it would not at all surprise me to learn this was an actual subplot in an alternate version of the script that ended up getting pushed out so they could do the comet denialism rallies in an extremely hamfisted attempt to convince people that meryl streep is supposed to be a trump analog when up until that point she is if anything a clintonite liberal

like she literally has a clinton photo on her oval office desk lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

I understand people here thinking the US sabotaged the launch because I'd been expecting exactly that since Mark Musk stopped the first one, but there isn't anything that even implies it. The Russians trying and loving it up is perfectly in line with what this movie is.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It’s intentionally ambiguous, first Oglethorpe says that the world got cut out of the deal for the asteroid minerals so they were launching their own deflection mission (competing with the Americans), then that “there was a massive explosion” and thus “the mission failed”

Here are the tanks:

Serf
May 5, 2011

skooma512 posted:

But to stop the comet you would need a booster that could leave Earth orbit and some nukes, which is considerable, but not out of the question. Europe also has the Ariane platform. You wouldn't need to build anything that special or new, just adapt a probe thrower to be able to carry nukes, which lol they probably are already. You would just need an ICBM with a different launch profile and detonation trigger, hell, you could probably just more payload out of the warheads because they don't have to reenter like their mission requires and you can drop the heat shields.

A comet is easy compared to climate change or covid. It's one and done, maybe two and done. You knock it out of the way or slow it down a little bit, and you're good to go. It's not a going concern after that, the issue really actually is solved. CC and C19 mean ongoing an commitment to spend money on something other than themselves and to leave profit on the table.

the issue here is that the avatar of capitalism, played by rylance (who just seems to be parodying the fictional billionaire he played in ready player one? what the gently caress was up with that) discovers that the comet is chock full of useful poo poo and steps in to stop those early efforts. this is again big oil stepping in to put their thumb on the scale against nuclear by talking about jobs disappearing (reversed here by talking about job creation) and astrotufing the green movement

you could only make it more relevant if the comet was somehow man-made, but that stretches credulity i suppose

Some Guy TT posted:

it would not at all surprise me to learn this was an actual subplot in an alternate version of the script that ended up getting pushed out so they could do the comet denialism rallies in an extremely hamfisted attempt to convince people that meryl streep is supposed to be a trump analog when up until that point she is if anything a clintonite liberal

like she literally has a clinton photo on her oval office desk lol

they must have done extensive rewrites on streep's character because she just is female trump. she's trying to get an unqualified supreme court justice, she's got supporters in red hats that are portrayed as southerners, hill is just playing jared kushner if he didn't have the personality of uncooked spaghetti. i've seen the argument made that she's supposed to be a parody of liberals and lol no, its trump mania 100%

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

its also worth noting that the only reason an alternate launch is even attempted is because jordan petermusk cuts the other countries out of the profits from the new plan the implication clearly being that they are just as equally dumbass as we are since they were also willing to go along with his plan

but even in the movies internal continuity this makes no sense since jordan petermusks motivation for wanting the minerals is because china has too many of them so even evil moustache twirling china would want to knock the comet off course just to guarantee their rare earth monopoly continues unabated

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Serf posted:

they must have done extensive rewrites on streep's character because she just is female trump. she's trying to get an unqualified supreme court justice, she's got supporters in red hats that are portrayed as southerners, hill is just playing jared kushner if he didn't have the personality of uncooked spaghetti. i've seen the argument made that she's supposed to be a parody of liberals and lol no, its trump mania 100%

an unqualified supreme court justice whose main scandal is that hes a male model whos loves sex and is tough on crime which makes it surprisingly ambiguous since a petty sex scandal would be seen very differently if the character was female and democrats also love cops

the jared kushner parallel is tougher to shake but at the same time both streep and hill initially dismiss the scientists because they came from a loser school like michigan state instead of an ivy which is like the last thing any of the trumps would care about

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

It’s intentionally ambiguous, first Oglethorpe says that the world got cut out of the deal for the asteroid minerals so they were launching their own deflection mission (competing with the Americans), then that “there was a massive explosion” and thus “the mission failed”

Here are the tanks:

Yeah I saw those and I assumed they're Russian tanks hanging out around a Russian launch site. Like do you think that's showing the US army attacking the rocket? Cause I'm open to the US interfering in some way but I think they'd go with something more plausibly deniable than an armored assault into Russia.

Serf
May 5, 2011

yeah the movie really does not understand that china, as the world's preeminent superpower, could deal with this without needing to ally with russia or europe or whoever. with a six month lead time they could have both diverted the comet and mined out all those metals

which really is where it falls apart as a climate change metaphor, but the only thing you could do is just make a movie about climate change and no one (other than brain-damaged freaks like me) wants to watch that. you could just watch "planet of the humans" instead

Some Guy TT posted:

an unqualified supreme court justice whose main scandal is that hes a male model whos loves sex and is tough on crime which makes it surprisingly ambiguous since a petty sex scandal would be seen very differently if the character was female and democrats also love cops

the jared kushner parallel is tougher to shake but at the same time both streep and hill initially dismiss the scientists because they came from a loser school like michigan state instead of an ivy which is like the last thing any of the trumps would care about

the sheriff is joe arpaio with some wacky stuff bolted on

and as for the school thing, were you paying attention to trump at all? the one thing that dude wanted more than a coke and a mcdonalds cheeseburger was to be accepted by the elite new york socialites that thoughts he was a dumbfuck. caring about the school is exactly the kind of thing they would do because it would make them seem elite

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ignorant Hick posted:

Yeah I saw those and I assumed they're Russian tanks hanging out around a Russian launch site. Like do you think that's showing the US army attacking the rocket? Cause I'm open to the US interfering in some way but I think they'd go with something more plausibly deniable than an armored assault into Russia.

Ya I’m not a “tankie” I think the Americans just nuked it themselves or stuxnet’ed it

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Horizon Burning posted:

Yeah. Their filmography since the first matrix is all the proof one needs that they plagiarised grant morrison and anime for that one

"plagiarised" is doing some extremely heavy lifting here

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Serf posted:

It’s 100% a parody of both, don’t forget Trump used to be a liberal Democrat until running for the gop could get him further.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Serf posted:

the sheriff is joe arpaio with some wacky stuff bolted on

this implies that liberals wouldnt love joe arpaio if he engaged in wacky stuff like be a sexy male model and was less explicit about his crimes against humanity which is rather silly given that the democrats current favorite electoral strategy is to recruit former cops to run for office

quote:

the one thing that dude wanted more than a coke and a mcdonalds cheeseburger was to be accepted by the elite new york socialites that thoughts he was a dumbfuck

these two motivations are completely at odds with each other and giving up on the second one so he could do devote all his energies to the first one is like his entire origin myth

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

indigi posted:

everyone dies alone
counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Ya I’m not a “tankie” I think the Americans just nuked it themselves or stuxnet’ed it

Lol well we agree then. I just think there needs to be something in the film you can point to as a hint to that if you want to call it a plot point. It makes the movie better if that's the intent, just don't see it. If it had been the kind of film where lady trump loses to Boe Jiden halfway through and nothing meaningful changes, it would have had the balls to do that.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ignorant Hick posted:

Yeah those are BMD-1 APCs that were designed for airborne drops.

And my impression was that the Americans and the global corporate shadow government embodied by Rylance did it. They aborted the entire launch mid-way just on his word, no reason to think that's where it would stop, especially with MONEY on the line.

Did anyone ever explain why they needed to launch 20 rockets alongside the shuttle btw? What ended up happening is precisely why they don't do poo poo like that, so what was the reason?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

this implies that liberals wouldnt love joe arpaio if he engaged in wacky stuff like be a sexy male model and was less explicit about his crimes against humanity which is rather silly given that the democrats current favorite electoral strategy is to recruit former cops to run for office

no, i don't think they would because they'd see him as a weirdo freak. the democrats are very sex-negative, much like the republicans, but there's a myth that they're not

Some Guy TT posted:

these two motivations are completely at odds with each other and giving up on the second one so he could do devote all his energies to the first one is like his entire origin myth

you're confusing donald trump for someone with a coherent persona or political platform

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Serf posted:

you're confusing donald trump for someone with a coherent persona or political platform

in which case streep still doesnt work as a direct trump analog because her characters motivations are too straightforward

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

streep's character should have made a big deal about loooving hot sauce

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Point is noone got killed. Where is the dark comedy or errors?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

josh04 posted:

it's extremely obvious if you read the invisibles lol and the only reason they didn't get in trouble is because warner bros owns both IPs. there used to be a website that compared comic panels with frames from the matrix and basically every distinctive matrix shot came from the comic first. see also: them showing ghost in the shell as their pitch and the shared imagery during the lobby shootout. but it was the 90s so no one gave a poo poo about weird cartoons from japan or comic books.

Morrison claimed they were even given copies of the comic during production and artists and sfx people have said as much, too. it also explains why the films not only get worse in quality but shift from gnosticism into christism.

Horizon Burning has issued a correction as of 00:40 on Jan 5, 2022

Serf
May 5, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

in which case streep still doesnt work as a direct trump analog because her characters motivations are too straightforward

well yes, mckay and sirota are not as smart as they think they are. she was far too concerned with her party winning elections. also her approval rating jumping to 99% demonstrated a deep misunderstanding of american politics

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

tom lehrer owns, he's still alive and in 2020 put all his music in the public domain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJ9HrZq7Ro

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Rylance controlled the US govt, Jonah Hill said as much to Jennifer Lawrence when he walked into that meeting. With that in mind it was my read the US 100% sabotaged the Russia/China launch even without seeing the tanks b/c they wanted the money. Whether China already had too many resources doesn't matter b/c it could be true or just regular saber-rattling to rally around (especially with Russia as their ally), it's all greed either way.

Some Guy TT posted:

its basically exactly what american liberals would do in any crisis situation and are in fact doing right this minute as we speak in regards to covid so its genuinely ambiguous whether mckay is trying to satirize our main characters are idiots or is actually expecting us to see them as behaving as heroically as possible in a crisis situation

This is one of things that makes the movie good, I don't think anyone knows.

My interpretation is that McKay absolutely didn't think about it like that and wasn't trying to make a political message beyond climate change is real and a threat. He also wants you to empathize with the main characters despite their failures. I think he tried to come up with things people would do as the government and media fails them, that're also funny. This is also why Streep isn't a direct analogue to one party and instead is written for gags when it fits the plot, while Jonah Hill is definitely just a funnier Don Jr.

Miss Lonelyhearts has issued a correction as of 00:56 on Jan 5, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

josh04 posted:

i made myself laugh the other day because i am notorious in yospos for "gettin some real boss baby vibes off this" wrt evangelion and i thought about trying real hard to do a "the matrix4 bots using themselves as bombing masses to try to hit neo/trin in the big chase was stolen from the Sahaquiel battle in Eva" bit

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Does it matter if they are the greatest live action anime adapter, or so so original movies dircctor?

If you liked the action. You like gunfu hk style.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

has anyone read this? is it good?

https://twitter.com/versobooks/status/1346565747343060993

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Horizon Burning posted:

it's extremely obvious if you read the invisibles lol and the only reason they didn't get in trouble is because warner bros owns both IPs. there used to be a website that compared comic panels with frames from the matrix and basically every distinctive matrix shot came from the comic first. see also: them showing ghost in the shell as their pitch and the shared imagery during the lobby shootout. but it was the 90s so no one gave a poo poo about weird cartoons from japan or comic books.

Morrison claimed they were even given copies of the comic during production and artists and sfx people have said as much, too. it also explains why the films not only get worse in quality but shift from gnosticism into christism.
i'm sure they used this framing in The Matrix at least once (same as any other pew pew pew movie) but at least when you're using physical props you don't have to worry about an artist not understanding anything about guns

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

not yet on libgen so we will see

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

would the asteroid in armageddon be a spheroid if it was "the size of texas" like billy bob said

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
It's on zlibrary

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I watched Don't Look Up and it was fun. I like that journalists all transparently hated it primarily because they were one of its biggest targets.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Judakel posted:

not yet on libgen so we will see

unless they took it down it should be

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The Baahubali series is one of the greatest ever created.

Bollywood rules

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Suplex Liberace posted:

Bollywood rules

Its not bollywood.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Serf posted:

well yes, mckay and sirota are not as smart as they think they are. she was far too concerned with her party winning elections. also her approval rating jumping to 99% demonstrated a deep misunderstanding of american politics

dont look up reminds me of squid game in that if you really want to nitpick the premise its not really anticapitalist at all and makes a lot of assumptions that are very consistent with how capitalists see the world but on balance i think dont look up works better as an anticapitalist critique than squid game because dont look up makes the libs mad which suggests the satire had actual bite since libs are capitalist by definition

Serf
May 5, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

dont look up reminds me of squid game in that if you really want to nitpick the premise its not really anticapitalist at all and makes a lot of assumptions that are very consistent with how capitalists see the world but on balance i think dont look up works better as an anticapitalist critique than squid game because dont look up makes the libs mad which suggests the satire had actual bite since libs are capitalist by definition

i didn't have any problem with squid game itself, but it felt like the hype and popularity was extremely manufactured to the point that it rendered any critique toothless. things that are actually anticapitalist don't get that kind of traction

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mawarannahr posted:

unless they took it down it should be

i just searched for it by title and didnt find it

edit: found it by author

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Judakel posted:

i just searched for it by title and didnt find it

edit: found it by author

you should use zlib/b-ok.cc, its basically piggybacking off libgen but works a lot better

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Serf posted:

i didn't have any problem with squid game itself, but it felt like the hype and popularity was extremely manufactured to the point that it rendered any critique toothless. things that are actually anticapitalist don't get that kind of traction

squid game should have ended with the other guy winning, just fuckin coldly brutally taking down the other guy with no hesitation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i was really mad when the immigrant got eliminated and quit watching lol