Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Folks even asked From Software why the sword wasn't in Sekiro after it came out and their response straight-up was "well we were going to but we wanted a fresh IP and didn't want to feel obligated" and it really tickles me that they thought about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I wonder if it'll be in Elden Ring

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Anyone have advice for oculus games? The family has had a blast with beat saber and the mini golf game (less so with synth riders). The kids love the Star Wars game. Anything else worth picking up?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Frank Frank posted:

Anyone have advice for oculus games? The family has had a blast with beat saber and the mini golf game (less so with synth riders). The kids love the Star Wars game. Anything else worth picking up?

I don't have any family friendly recommendations, but Resident Evil 4 looks fantastic, please buy it on my account since I don't have an oculus.

Half Life Alyx was also GOTY material.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't have any family friendly recommendations, but Resident Evil 4 looks fantastic, please buy it on my account since I don't have an oculus.

Half Life Alyx was also GOTY material.

“I” don’t have one either. The kids do. That said, I picked up RE4. I never played the original half life. Is Alyx still worthwhile?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Also I am the family beat saber king and it’s making my SO real mad.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don't have an oculus but Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is the most fun VR I have played

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

“I” don’t have one either. The kids do. That said, I picked up RE4. I never played the original half life. Is Alyx still worthwhile?

Honestly that's a question I don't have a clear answer for. Gameplay-wise, it's fantastic, the first VR game I played that felt like a real AAA production. I just don't know the story and setting would play from outside the franchise, I've been in on it for so long.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Babe Magnet posted:

nineball can even do the energy waves

At least in AC1, any laserblade could do the beam waves. If you died and went broke several times, you got experimented on and gradually given superpowers like free short-ranged radar, the ability to fire all back weapons while moving, and the ability to shoot the laserblade.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I gotta say though, crossing the lightsabers in Best Saber makes them hum and the headset vibrates and it genuinely feels good

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Now that I've beaten him, I love the progression of (Resident Evil 8 Third Boss)Moreau's attitude - when you first see him he's being badly bullied by the rest of Mother Miranda's children, not able to get a word in or join the conversation at all because he keeps getting shut down. However, when you get to his area Ethan's arrival actually brings out the best in him. He starts off the pathetic twisted loser, sulking in his corner, until Ethan provokes him by stealing his canopic jar. Then he gets his first positive thought - "Wait... if I can do better than the others..." and he seals the exit to prevent Ethan leaving. All he has to do is stall until the ritual, and the longer he deals with Ethan the more his confidence grows. At the midpoint, rather than hiding in a cage of his own mucus, he joins Ethan on the platform after destroying the shack nearby that he was in. He's not hiding anymore, he's just there, talking to Ethan like an equal, although barely holding it together. When Ethan tries to talk badly to him by calling him pathetic, he even talks back, admonishing him not to be cruel before slinking back into the water as his giant fish form once again takes over due to how badly his powers are ruining his body. He even starts having fun while you navigate the surface of the reservoir, upsetting the bridges and seeming to really be enjoying himself with childish glee coming out in lines like "Up and down! Up and down!" as he wobbles the bridges.

Even when you drain the lake leaving him beached, he refuses to back down, calling out to Miranda to notice him as he shows off a new move he invented involving making acid rain happen due to weaponising his vomit.

Of course as he dies, he loses his confidence as he realises he's lost the fight, but he has had the best day of his LIFE and it's all thanks to Ethan.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Now that I've beaten him, I love the progression of (Resident Evil 8 Third Boss)Moreau's attitude - when you first see him he's being badly bullied by the rest of Mother Miranda's children, not able to get a word in or join the conversation at all because he keeps getting shut down. However, when you get to his area Ethan's arrival actually brings out the best in him. He starts off the pathetic twisted loser, sulking in his corner, until Ethan provokes him by stealing his canopic jar. Then he gets his first positive thought - "Wait... if I can do better than the others..." and he seals the exit to prevent Ethan leaving. All he has to do is stall until the ritual, and the longer he deals with Ethan the more his confidence grows. At the midpoint, rather than hiding in a cage of his own mucus, he joins Ethan on the platform after destroying the shack nearby that he was in. He's not hiding anymore, he's just there, talking to Ethan like an equal, although barely holding it together. When Ethan tries to talk badly to him by calling him pathetic, he even talks back, admonishing him not to be cruel before slinking back into the water as his giant fish form once again takes over due to how badly his powers are ruining his body. He even starts having fun while you navigate the surface of the reservoir, upsetting the bridges and seeming to really be enjoying himself with childish glee coming out in lines like "Up and down! Up and down!" as he wobbles the bridges.

Even when you drain the lake leaving him beached, he refuses to back down, calling out to Miranda to notice him as he shows off a new move he invented involving making acid rain happen due to weaponising his vomit.

Of course as he dies, he loses his confidence as he realises he's lost the fight, but he has had the best day of his LIFE and it's all thanks to Ethan.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Phy posted:

At least in AC1, any laserblade could do the beam waves. If you died and went broke several times, you got experimented on and gradually given superpowers like free short-ranged radar, the ability to fire all back weapons while moving, and the ability to shoot the laserblade.

gently caress I forgot about that

AC1 kicked so much rear end

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I didn't know Animal Crossing used to be so hardcore.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
man i didn't stick with the first asscreed long enough to get laserblades

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
how do you even get the laserblades strapped onto the jets. i don't think it'd be very aerodynamic

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
How many pyreals did you have to shell out for the laser blade?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i love the big piles of coins nintendo has started hiding in out of the way places in recent 3d mario games, and i fuckin live for that 'coin get' sound

BioEnchanted posted:

i should really finish this game!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Fuligin posted:

i fuckin live for that 'coin get' sound

I don't often recommend NSMB2, but

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't often recommend NSMB2, but

i had no idea that was the entire premise of the game, holy drat

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CJacobs posted:

Folks even asked From Software why the sword wasn't in Sekiro after it came out and their response straight-up was "well we were going to but we wanted a fresh IP and didn't want to feel obligated" and it really tickles me that they thought about it

I thought most folks counted the legendary dragon god's sword as that game's moonlight sword.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's a seven branch sword tho ain't it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-Branched_Sword

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Well, yeah, it's not literally the MLGS but it feels like a nod to it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You took the exact opposite reading of Moreau from me, Bioenchanted

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

as featured in the Best Souls Game, Nioh 2

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

how do you even get the laserblades strapped onto the jets. i don't think it'd be very aerodynamic

Big giant spinal pod. Ask Pixy.

Phy has a new favorite as of 10:52 on Jan 2, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous has a fun Chaotic Good story path that has the good sense to not take itself too seriously.

A battalion of treants enlisted in the army and I knighted their leaders in a singalong.

This was triggered by my character closing a portal to the Abyss and turning a hell-blasted landscape into a lush park and beautiful lake by giving that portal a stirring speech about friendship.

I also have a baby Havoc Dragon that just showed up because she heard my PC singing and thought it sounded fun. She's a fully fledged extra party member who doesn't take up a PC slot.

One of my PC's strategic advisors is a paladin who's growing a little concerned at how these things just kind of happen around my PC now.

Cythereal has a new favorite as of 14:41 on Jan 2, 2022

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

https://twitter.com/louceph/status/1439444089968242694

Buuuuut, I'm playing Fallout 4 for the 5th time overall, and first time in VR, and never before did I notice that some of the buildings in Concord were connected to a "Municipal Plutonium Well", a concept that isn't expanded upon in-game :allears:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

BioEnchanted posted:

Him breaching from the water merrily cheering "I'm the best!" was my favorite part of that sequence.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved the final boss of RE8 btw now that I've beaten it Mother Miranda is a very unique boss in Resident Evil. She felt more like a Dark Soul boss with how she kept seamlessly transitioning between forms, and each form being a reasonable human-ish size until she went Berserk in the cutscene.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've got back to Nioh for the first time in months, still stuck on the first boss but there are enough systems in the game that i'm always noticing SOMETHING that I can do, like when I realised that the arrows on the triangle button do a shitload of you make headshots on him due to him being a Yokai, also that this one rare-ish drop from an enemy does a decent chunk of damage to bosses, and sometimes due to grinding for things like healing items, I have enough Amrita to upgrade myself a little, and the one extra point in magic has nearly doubled my resistance to having my stamina dropped by the Yokai realm (plus a few extra points to health and base damage and more skill points so I can add more items to my arsenal, like I can equip some new talismans to use as battle items, I just don't HAVE any right now, but it'll be an option later). I appreciate that I'm always noticing something new, I just need to put it all together correctly and not let the second phase of the fight overwhelm me while doing so.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

In Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, I have knighted a group of mimics who arrived to join the war.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Cythereal posted:

In Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, I have knighted a group of mimics who arrived to join the war.

Arise, Sir Buttmunch!

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Towards the end of Guardians Of The Galaxy, the characters start clearing out obstacles on their own without Star Lord asking them to. A nice little touch to show how much better they've become as a team.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In the PS4 Spider-Man game it’s lots of fun just webslinging around the city.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

oldpainless posted:

In the PS4 Spider-Man game it’s lots of fun just webslinging around the city.

I don't think I can come up with a better example of a game that commonly has me going, nah, I'm not gonna fast travel, it'll be more fun to just go there myself

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't think I can come up with a better example of a game that commonly has me going, nah, I'm not gonna fast travel, it'll be more fun to just go there myself

Yeah, I think I fast traveled in Spider-Man like... once? It's just way more fun to swing. The loading screens were amusing but with the PS5 version you don't even have those so swing only.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I am really glad that Anno 1800 is keeping the 3D talking portrait concept alive in tyool 2022

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
In PS4 Spider-Man Orthodox NPCs don't spawn on the Sabbath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Tales of Arise: The fishing minigame tells you about what fish you have caught in each pond, and what the different types of lures are good at catching.