Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Starsnostars posted:

Hickman's Ultimate Comics Ultimates and Ultimate Hawkeye are worth reading.

I'll second this, with the caveat that they build up a lot of interesting ideas that ultimately (hehe) go no where because Hickman was pulled off the Ultimates line to do his big Avengers/New Avengers thing. I liked Mike Carey's UF4, Warren Ellis wrote a few minis that are Warren Ellis comics, so you probably know if you'll like those or not.

Fake Edit: Looking up the post Ultimatum stuff, there's also a Hickman Thor mini which I'm betting is good. I don't remember much about it though. And there's the Ultimate Enemy/Mystery/Doom trilogy by Bendis which isn't great, but isn't terrible and explains some stuff leading into Hickman's Ultimates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i have a vague feeling that the ultimate avengers stuff wasn't bad but at the same time i can't actually remember what happened in any of it :shrug:

Hickman's ultimates was the highlight though yeah

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

i have a vague feeling that the ultimate avengers stuff wasn't bad but at the same time i can't actually remember what happened in any of it :shrug:

Same, it was Millar, but restrained from his worst impulses IIRC.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Apparently all those impulses bled over to the next iteration of Ultimates books done by Jeph Loeb. Good loving lord what a poo poo show.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

site posted:

Skwirl posted:

I assume the two of you are thinking of the first two Miller/Hitch Ultimates series? Ultimate Avengers was the title Mark Millar got when he came back to the line post-Ultimatum, and I wouldn't characterize that as him being "restrained".

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
no, the fury black ops team with the punisher on it

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

site posted:

no, the furry black ops team with the punisher on it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Arkhams Razor posted:

I assume the two of you are thinking of the first two Miller/Hitch Ultimates series? Ultimate Avengers was the title Mark Millar got when he came back to the line post-Ultimatum, and I wouldn't characterize that as him being "restrained".

It's been forever since I read Ultimate Avengers so I'm probably misremembering, but I wouldn't call the pre Ultimatum stuff restrained either.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

:hmmyes:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Pre ultimatum had gems like “this A doesn’t stand for France”, Hulk getting mad he got called gay, and Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch incest jokes.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

"Jokes"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The A doesn’t stand for France is a good line because Captain America is the actual embodiment of America rather than the idealized version in the 616

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Skwirl posted:

to some extent, but you also had stuff like Red Skull being Captain America's illegitimate son who cut off his own face and assassinated JFK, and the new Wasp whose origin very obviously implied her being raped, something that I think he disingenuously denied was the intent

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
That Wasp thing really bites.

it is a the blob joke

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Internet Wizard posted:

Pre ultimatum had gems like “this A doesn’t stand for France”, Hulk getting mad he got called gay, and Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch incest jokes.

Yeah it really holds up well. A perfect commentary of the times.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am now fully caught up on all things Miles Morales and well, I don't like his new suit at all. I know this is coming from a white dude in his 40's but if they were going to change it they should've just gone with the ITSV variant.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

I am now fully caught up on all things Miles Morales and well, I don't like his new suit at all. I know this is coming from a white dude in his 40's but if they were going to change it they should've just gone with the ITSV variant.

Is that the one with the long sleeves and that pull-up turtleneck half-mask look? I don't like it either. It's like Pyjama Party Spider-Man.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Internet Wizard posted:

Which Jeph Loeb made actual text, with Wasp commenting to Steve "No... they're IN love" and drawn like she thought it was the most tender thing ever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Miles suit looks like a suit he would wear because his real suit got destroyed

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You think this A stands for France was worth it if only for Brubaker having 616 Cap give a history lesson about the French Resistance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

Is that the one with the long sleeves and that pull-up turtleneck half-mask look? I don't like it either. It's like Pyjama Party Spider-Man.

Yeah it looks really bad. I believe an actual fashion designer created it?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Lobok posted:

You think this A stands for France was worth it if only for Brubaker having 616 Cap give a history lesson about the French Resistance.

Also "you think this E stands for America?" which is now its own sad time capsule due to nationalism.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

CharlestheHammer posted:

The A doesn’t stand for France is a good line because Captain America is the actual embodiment of America rather than the idealized version in the 616

This is true, but Miller did the same thing years earlier with Nuke.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

quote:

Which Jeph Loeb made actual text, with Wasp commenting to Steve "No... they're IN love" and drawn like she thought it was the most tender thing ever.

Loeb called his run "Sex, Lies & DVD" which just tells you everything right off the bat. Well not everything, but it definitely lowered the tone. Which was in itself impressive.

I'm pretty sure it's my least favourite run I've ever bought. It was just an out of touch old man trying to be edgy by writing the most cynical, slimey, shocking thing he could.

Lobok posted:

Ewing also had his Ultimates clap back on it in their finale. Seeing Ewing write Millar's Ultimates in his own book was a hell of a thing, particularly because I think he even has the grace to give them a redemption moment.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Rhyno posted:

The new outfit looks really dumb. I mean, I know it doesn't matter because the old suit will come back (with slight modifications) in like a year, but the loose fitting jacket upper body part of the new suit looks a Russian teen in 2005.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Yeah it looks really bad. I believe an actual fashion designer created it?

I mean, this was also made by an actual fashion designer.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1478401042706415616?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Death of the author and everything, but I think it should be noted that Mark Millar is Scottish, and I don't think he was trying to call the French cowards or anything, but trying to recreate post 9/11 American jingoism.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It’s not death if the author that was the point.

Lol if he did it twice

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Death of the author isn't even a rule, you don't have to do it if you don't want to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

Death of the author isn't even a rule, you don't have to do it if you don't want to.

Unless it's John Byrne in which case I have a pile of bricks right here.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Big, open ended question - I ducked out of keeping current on comics more or less right after Infinity. I subbed to Marvel Unlimited today. Obviously "lol just read everything that's what you're paying for" is an option and is probably in the cards on a long enough time frame. Then the landing page presented me with Age of Ultron, which was a great reminder of how insanely lovely these comics can be (way to put your best foot forward, Marvel). I'd prefer to not waste my time.

Any quick hits on what I should read and what I should skip? I obviously plan on finishing up Hickman's Avengers run, then following him onto X-men. I know from nerd osmosis that Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, and Immortal Hulk are worth a read. Did the cosmic stuff ever stop being good? I remember that being a chunk of 616 that was perpetually ignored by the larger comics and always great. Wikipedia has a very large page that's just a laundry list of the various events, but like I said, I'd love to prioritize in some way while I'm catching up.

There's no "every issue released week-by-week" view in the app, right? I suppose that is also an option if I hate myself.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The big yearly obligatory crossover is obnoxious, but War of the Realms and Empyre are both decent.

Jason Aaron's long run on Thor is well worth your time.

I'd also check out Mark Waid's runs on Daredevil, SHIELD, and especially Fantastic Four. He wrote a five-issue Invisible Woman miniseries in 2019 where she's a secret agent which I just reread and thought was great.

Dan Slott's Spider-Man run is very long, full of ideas, and occasionally groanworthy to the point of distraction, but there's this weird reverse Midas effect where other writers make some really good stuff with his material. Christos Gage's Superior Spider-Man takes off from that and was excellent, for example.

Nick Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man might have been the best thing he ever did at Marvel. The rest is controversial at best; he has a handful of good issues of Amazing Spider-Man that all eventually get fed into the chipper-shredder of the interminable Kindred arc.

Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil may end up in the running as one of the best runs the character's had, and DD in general has been a great book for years. Bendis, Brubaker, and Waid all did solid runs; the only downbeat is Charles Soule's, and I'd argue his biggest issues are mostly in what he had to follow up on.

Of course, Fraction and Aja's Hawkeye is unmissable and even better, self-contained. I also like Kelly Thompson's Kate Bishop solo run, particularly for its great detective-novel covers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Boxman posted:

Any quick hits on what I should read and what I should skip? I obviously plan on finishing up Hickman's Avengers run, then following him onto X-men. I know from nerd osmosis that Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, and Immortal Hulk are worth a read. Did the cosmic stuff ever stop being good? I remember that being a chunk of 616 that was perpetually ignored by the larger comics and always great. Wikipedia has a very large page that's just a laundry list of the various events, but like I said, I'd love to prioritize in some way while I'm catching up.

You ever want to go deep with a mega-long run, read the Incredible Hulk run Herb Trimpe worked on. It's both very 70's but also holds up really well. He was co-plotter the entire time (as a lot of Marvel artists then) and even Al Ewing was pulling from it during Immortal Hulk. It basically gave us Hulk as we know him.

One off the wall thing you might like is the Alan Davis run of Excalibur. He drew the book with Claremont initially but came back in the early 40's or so and wrote and drew it and it's the best the book ever was and it's also really pretty.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Boxman posted:

Big, open ended question - I ducked out of keeping current on comics more or less right after Infinity. I subbed to Marvel Unlimited today. Obviously "lol just read everything that's what you're paying for" is an option and is probably in the cards on a long enough time frame. Then the landing page presented me with Age of Ultron, which was a great reminder of how insanely lovely these comics can be (way to put your best foot forward, Marvel). I'd prefer to not waste my time.

There's no "every issue released week-by-week" view in the app, right? I suppose that is also an option if I hate myself.

Some shorter runs that are very good:

Black Cat by Jed MacKay

Guardians of the Galaxy by Al Ewing and maybe the series before it by Donny Cates for cosmic completionists

Spider-Man: Life Story by Chip Zdarsky

Of the X-Men titles, my favorites are the main title, Hellions, X Factor, SWORD and New Mutants but pretty much everything is good (you can skip Children of the Atom and Fallen Angels)

Moon Knight by Jeff Lemire and X-Men Legacy by Si Spurrier are personal favorites

Cloks fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 5, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Loki Agent of Asgard was a really fun book I'd recommend.

A few years ago there was a mini called Hawkeye: Freefall that I didn't see a lot of people talk about so I guess I'll take the opportunity now to hype it up.

Silver Surfer by Dan Slott was really good.

Nova (the one with Sam Alexander)

Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (worth noting that if you're gonna read this one, it technically starts from the Secret Wars tie-in of the same name)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TwoPair posted:

Silver Surfer by Dan Slott was really good.

Definitely don't miss this one. Absolutely one of the most fun comics I've ever read, and it has just enough heartbreaking parts to really give it more bite than you expect.

Worth it for the issue where they go get the best ice cream in the universe, easily.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

It's been forever since I read Ultimate Avengers so I'm probably misremembering, but I wouldn't call the pre Ultimatum stuff restrained either.

"Restrained for Millar"

Anyway for other stuff to read on Unlimited, check out the Wasp run with Nadia from a few years ago as well as Gwenpool, I think everything else I'd recommend checkout has already been mentioned.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Speaking of Gwenpool, that writer Hastings also did a Deadpool book, and I hear Duggan's Deadpool run is great. Also wild that Hastings is the Dr. McNinja guy. I've had that first Dr. McNinja omnibus and lots of Deadpool on my to-read tpb pile for a while too.

I wonder when they'll get a Deadpool ongoing out there again.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (worth noting that if you're gonna read this one, it technically starts from the Secret Wars tie-in of the same name)

I'll second the recommendation, but the secret wars tie-in is entirely skippable.

I'll recommend the Mary Jane series. (Mary Jane, Mary Jane: Homecoming, and Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane) it's a lovely slice-of-life series. Just stop when you get to the end of Volume of SMLMJ, it was a new creative team for volume 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I mean, this was also made by an actual fashion designer.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1478401042706415616?s=20

"Danger, Will Robinson!"