System Message

Secondary database maintenance is underway. Some features will be briefly unavailable.
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Breetai posted:

What's everyone's strategies for getting rid of large amounts of waste product? Specifically Hydrogen, refined oil, and energetic graphite? I can't find a way to make a perfect loop of chemical processing in any of my processing locations, so I always end up with production stalls unless I make vast fluid storage/graphite storage arrays and occasionally purge them. Using in power is kinda not an option because I've already got more nuclear going than I can use.

Hydrogen only seems like it's a waste product earl-ish in the game. Once you start needing to make casimir crystals, hydrogen will no longer be a waste product. You will in-fact probably enter a shortage you will be scrambling to fix (if you make them in significant quantities). I had to essentially sprint to every single hydrogen giant in the cluster plopping down orbital collectors to meet the monstrous demand that I had created.

This is going to go double if you decide that you want to make rockets in any kind of significant capacity because then you're going to need alot of deuterium, which requires alot of hydrogen.

As for oil waste - The only thing in the game you really need oil for is organic crystals. Once you can tap natural sources of them with miners, your need to do oil stuff goes wayyy down. Now, I was a crazy person, and after tapping all of the organic crystals nearby I still had a planet dedicated to making them artificially, but that's by the by. As the previous person said I think advanced cracking is a trap option. I never use it. There's just no need for that much hydrogen early in the game and there are easier sources for hydrogen later in the game than a cracking loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
X-ray cracking is a weird appendix. You're absolutely miserable if you try to do red science without it as your need for refined oil is non-existent and you have a refined oil problem now. But eventually you're done, you've got hydrogen and energetic graphite from other places and you need your refined oil for other stuff.

If your excess products are all together graphite, hydrogen, and refined oil, do you really have a deadhead? That's just all the oil products. Mine less oil (by just letting it deadhead) or make more red science/plastic/sulfuric.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can burn oil or just put it in tanks and then delete the tanks

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea I’ll swap back and forth between burning hydrogen or graphite, depending on whichever is coming up short. It’s easy when you only have to change the output of a single belt on a logistics station :)

e: something I didn’t realize for the longest time. You can run sorters between thermal plants, they’ll pass whatever resource on through until the last one is full/everything is used along the way. Cuts down on the number of belts you need.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Earlier in the thread we were talking about the Dyson Sphere Editor, and it never got posted here but the developers put up a preview video for the upcoming changes to that screen:

https://twitter.com/DysonProgram/status/1471821980966191107

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MNnDI2WmXM

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

oh heck I might actually design a sphere

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Pictured within the red zone (plus a little stone mining outpost just over the horizon to the north): the entire continent's worth of production required to get 3 purple cubes per second (minus the orange chip production seen in the last images I posted plus off-world titanium and silicon mining).

I'm going to have to start producing research components off-world at this rate, aren't I? :aaaaa:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Breetai posted:

I'm going to have to start producing research components off-world at this rate, aren't I? :aaaaa:

As always it depends on how crazy you want to go and what your goals are. I have an entire planet dedicated to green motors for example. Many players love making entire worlds dedicated to being forge worlds where they do nothing but import raw materials and export the appropriate ingots.

But ultimately you can very easily "win" the game without doing any of that. It all depends on how you want to play.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Ice Fist posted:

Hydrogen only seems like it's a waste product earl-ish in the game. Once you start needing to make casimir crystals, hydrogen will no longer be a waste product. You will in-fact probably enter a shortage you will be scrambling to fix (if you make them in significant quantities). I had to essentially sprint to every single hydrogen giant in the cluster plopping down orbital collectors to meet the monstrous demand that I had created.

This is going to go double if you decide that you want to make rockets in any kind of significant capacity because then you're going to need alot of deuterium, which requires alot of hydrogen.

As for oil waste - The only thing in the game you really need oil for is organic crystals. Once you can tap natural sources of them with miners, your need to do oil stuff goes wayyy down. Now, I was a crazy person, and after tapping all of the organic crystals nearby I still had a planet dedicated to making them artificially, but that's by the by. As the previous person said I think advanced cracking is a trap option. I never use it. There's just no need for that much hydrogen early in the game and there are easier sources for hydrogen later in the game than a cracking loop.

Definitely not in my experience, but then as soon as I got the capability to set up orbital collectors I made sure to fill the entire radius of several gas giants with them.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I’ve (32 hours in, I have mass warpers and IP logistics) got about 7-800 MW of thermal set up on my assembly world, some from the initial build-out still, and while I’ve got 5 gas giants completely tamed and can easily run the thermal array at 100% from imports, every fuel feed passes through a splitter with a priority input that local production feeds into without ever touching logistics.

We refine until oil backs up in the logistics supply side, and all of the hydrogen just feeds the beast. The only thing I’m using oil for is my initial acid build, which is still in place and feeding logistics; it does tend to get used by on-planet alloy stuff over my outworld acid oceans due to better responsiveness from planetary versus IP sources.

I’ve also got at least six or eight IP towers just bringing hydrogen and deuterium in from the gas giants; all the hydrogen which isn’t being fed into power plants is getting run through particle accelerators to become deuterium.

With half a dozen fusion plants one can charge an IP tower in a gas giant system which is also requesting warpers and deuterium fuel rods enough to send its freighters to the giant and tank up on hydrogen, then one can run 100 thermal plants per blue belt of hydrogen one wants to pull out of that tower. Demo the fusion after this is self-powering if you want, or leave it there to be a negligible deuterium drain; either way you’re burning gas giant hydrogen to pay for your mining operations, at the cost of the hydrogen burned to make power for the trip.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 5, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think i may try this again with the challenge of one space port per planet

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Eschatos posted:

Definitely not in my experience, but then as soon as I got the capability to set up orbital collectors I made sure to fill the entire radius of several gas giants with them.

For me it's the tale of two games. I have two playthroughs where I went from starter planet to completing at least one dyson sphere. In my first game hydrogen was a significant waste product. I was struggling to get rid of it and had rings of thermal plants to remove excess hydrogen from various processes.

In my 2nd game I had loftier goals and was eventually producing 45 rockets a minute and 20 white science/min. I *drastically* underestimated how much hydrogen I would need. I hadn't really bothered to calculate it out before hand because I've always had more than I need and there's so many sources of it. All of the hydrogen I'm producing everywhere gets sucked up. Thankfully you can at least prioritize non orbital collectors first to make sure things keep running properly.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I don’t think it’s that surprising that a person would have ample hydrogen after deploying two hundred orbital collectors.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don’t think it’s that surprising that a person would have ample hydrogen after deploying two hundred orbital collectors.

The point was more to bulk up Deuterium availability in order to save power on particle accelerators at home, the fact that every gas giant with D also has a lot more plain hydrogen is just a bonus.

The important part is wiring all of your produced hydrogen to be preferentially burned by on-planet power generation, in order avoid oil plants choking on hydrogen!

The next thing I do which is hungry for the D is going to require I tame another 2-3 giants, probably, and more requesting towers as well. Not sure what that’s going to be, though; my last project was wildly overbuilding deuterium fuel rod production in order to support anticipated demand from the staging world for my first sphere build. I might hold off until the editor update.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

euphronius posted:

You can burn oil or just put it in tanks and then delete the tanks

But the oil will be devastated :(

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You know. I now wonder at the feasibility of creating a mod building that launches excess material off the planet and "into" the sun as a method of deleting it. Like I'd assume it would have to be some sort of consumer building with visuals but I wonder if the engine would even support it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rynoto posted:

You know. I now wonder at the feasibility of creating a mod building that launches excess material off the planet and "into" the sun as a method of deleting it. Like I'd assume it would have to be some sort of consumer building with visuals but I wonder if the engine would even support it.

You could probably just be lazy semi-clever and re-use the launching rocket animation from when framing rockets launch, and just change whatever the input is for the rocket to launch (and maybe just have the game delete it after it leaves the planet?).

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Anyone know what the limit to solar sails populating (like per second/minute etc.) a finished sphere frame is?

I've generally always finished the structure/frames/nodes of my spheres before starting to launch sails at it, because I always felt like I was wasting sails in dyson swarms that kept growing instead of all newly launched sails being absorbed by the sphere, but in this new playthrough, I've built a sphere in a system with an O-type star for the first time and it's 34ly away, so I set up both my launchers and ejectors to go at it and then peaced back out to my home system.
When I came back after a longer while, the structure of my first couple of panels was done, the panels themselves were being populated with sails at a creepingly low rate, and I had a dyson swarm with 180,000 sails orbiting casually.

So I can't actually throw more ejectors at the problem to get the panels finished faster?

Also, holy poo poo, O-type systems are crazy. 6 planets, stupid amounts of resources, lots of rare resources, wish I could start a playthrough in this type of system.

/edit:
I eyeballed the rate at which my panels are growing at roughly 25 sails per second, and sure enough, I have 26 nodes in the structure, so I guess I'm stuck with like 26 sails per second.
Which is, uh...unfortunate, because I have 1.2 million sails left to complete the current panels.

:stare:

just 13 hours to go :psypop:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 5, 2022

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Duzzy Funlop posted:

/edit:
I eyeballed the rate at which my panels are growing at roughly 25 sails per second, and sure enough, I have 26 nodes in the structure, so I guess I'm stuck with like 26 sails per second.
Which is, uh...unfortunate, because I have 1.2 million sails left to complete the current panels.

:stare:

just 13 hours to go :psypop:

You can add a bunch more nodes, but that'll require you to launch more frame rockets.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Kazzah posted:

You can add a bunch more nodes, but that'll require you to launch more frame rockets.

Oh...frame rockets I can launch.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Welp, nevermind, my latest run has come to an end.

Error occurs everytime I place any size of blueprint, and I have no clue why. The error in particular (wrapper stelemref or whatever) also doesn't show up anywhere on the Steam forums for other users.

:rip:

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Welp, nevermind, my latest run has come to an end.

Error occurs everytime I place any size of blueprint, and I have no clue why. The error in particular (wrapper stelemref or whatever) also doesn't show up anywhere on the Steam forums for other users.

:rip:

Oh, speculating about such errors is fun!

My immediate thoughts: The array in question might be related to all blueprints, or a specific blueprint book?
You could try deleting a few BPs to see if you've hit some hidden "max number of blueprints" assumption in the code (I'd think someone else would have run into that before, but then again goons have a tendency to run to extremes with stuff :v:), or copying a BP to a new blueprint book to see if the specific blueprint book might have been corrupted?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Literally all blueprints seem affected, so not just saved BPs, but also existing structures that I copy. I have a couple of QoL mods, and only one content-changing mod, namely Galactic Scale, and from the update logs, it looks like that exact mod is breaking the game with a recent update:

:lol:

/edit:
The irony is, of loving course, that I only installed the mod because another mod had it as a dependancy, but I never used its functionality in the settings, outside of having the vanilla settings give you the option to create a larger galaxy scale

/edit:
Please accept a screenshot of this half-assed, unfinished monstrosity (with a mere 1.6 million solar sails on the structure) before I put the game down again until the next update

Also, :rip: my sweet veins utilization upgrades

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 5, 2022

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So a planet in about 3ly of my homeworld has a planet with a Sulfuric Acid ocean.

Am I right in thinking that once I get a warp-ready transit line set up between it and my main solar system I'm going to be able to MASSIVELY simplify my production chains, and basically only ever use oil for Plastic production purposes? (Given that I currently have 40 stations surrounding my local gas giant providing all of my H2 needs).

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Breetai posted:

So a planet in about 3ly of my homeworld has a planet with a Sulfuric Acid ocean.

Am I right in thinking that once I get a warp-ready transit line set up between it and my main solar system I'm going to be able to MASSIVELY simplify my production chains, and basically only ever use oil for Plastic production purposes? (Given that I currently have 40 stations surrounding my local gas giant providing all of my H2 needs).

You are right in having such a thought. Acid oceans are arguably one of the best special resources since they never run out. This is partially compensated for by acid oceans usually being closer to acid puddles in size, but as long as your warper supply chain is reliable there’s no reason you can’t source 100% of acid from all-natural sources.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Yeah, once you can warp and find all those planets with all the goodies, your life improves about 1000%.

Getting Sulfuric acid from oceans, mining gas giants for Deuterium and finding planets with Organic crystal depots really simplify things. The alt recipies are really great and should be switched over to as soon as possible.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I once had a gas giant that was giving up fire ice and hydrogen as it’s resources. I never wanted for graphene or hydrogen until my production got outright ridiculous.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

I once had a gas giant that was giving up fire ice and hydrogen as it’s resources. I never wanted for graphene or hydrogen until my production got outright ridiculous.

You want one fire ice giant and then as many Deuterium giants as you have patience to drop towers on.

Gas giant mining in particular feels like a placeholder. Just putting down 40 towers and then leaving is a really thin pretext for having them be visitable at all, I’ve been harboring a secret hope that there will be more floating-factory stuff to come. Also I’d really like a way to easily and rapidly find a giant’s equator in the meantime!

e: it’s pretty weird to me that Fire Ice also exists as limited rocky-world deposits, eliminate it in favor of more optical grating crystal or unipolar magnets imo

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

LonsomeSon posted:

Also I’d really like a way to easily and rapidly find a giant’s equator in the meantime!

Longitude and Latitude are displayed in the bottom left corner of your screen.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Cimber posted:

Longitude and Latitude are displayed in the bottom left corner of your screen.

Oh my loving god

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

LonsomeSon posted:

Oh my loving god

:mmmhmm:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I’ve been eyeballing the planet’s rotation and dead reckoning in the whole time

The run I’ve been talking about isn’t even the first one where I’ve had this many gas giants fully exploited…

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

While we're doing "things I just learned": After 300 hour of playing this game, I found out that you can access and configure logistics stations from the planetary overview.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

While we're doing "things I just learned": After 300 hour of playing this game, I found out that you can access and configure logistics stations from the planetary overview.

This was in the earlier releases, removed for being a bug, got a big backlash and was readded, even!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I’ve always just eyeballed it. Honestly I’ve always found the most annoying thing was just the slow crawl across the planet dropping the towers and waiting for your drones to keep up.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

I’ve always just eyeballed it. Honestly I’ve always found the most annoying thing was just the slow crawl across the planet dropping the towers and waiting for your drones to keep up.

Yeah I run Fast Drones because of this specifically. It’s still tedious, but you’re limited by your mech flying speed.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Literally all blueprints seem affected, so not just saved BPs, but also existing structures that I copy. I have a couple of QoL mods, and only one content-changing mod, namely Galactic Scale, and from the update logs, it looks like that exact mod is breaking the game with a recent update:

:lol:

Hot update: They realized their bug fix broke games, and fixed it within 24h

Yay
:)

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Breetai posted:

You can also consider making Titanium Alloy on the Sulfuric Acid planet itself and just exporting that - it's much more compact and requires less warping around. And if you already have Fire Ice for your graphene production, then you won't actually need the acid for anything else.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

News video was posted.

Advanced miner confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

lmao why are their news release videos always so loving weird

I mean I'm super into it, it's just funny