Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I understand why people want a will system or the like but partition, even confederate, is easy enough to game as is and I'm worried things would get even worse.

Like maybe in a complete revamp of succession?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Hellioning posted:

I understand why people want a will system or the like but partition, even confederate, is easy enough to game as is and I'm worried things would get even worse.

Like maybe in a complete revamp of succession?

I think if there was a way to assign stuff on your own after death instead of ai auto distribute, that would work. I know you can spend the time and assign stuff as it comes in, but it can be challenging to keep up with as more heirs and titles come in and out of play. Just make it a list of heirs that are required to get titles and the titles that are eligable to be assigned. If an heir already has some titles then they cant be moved, but already count towards the required number needed in the split. The different levels of titles already have a specific value for this, i believe. On death, its up to you which titles go where, but you still need to split it up according to whatever succession law applies to you. It would be like your player heir is the executor of the a will, but still needs to abide by the law of the land.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It would also help players understand the partition system. It causes no end of confusion for people, even though it's perfectly coherent.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I suppose? I just feel it would make an already easy game even easier.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
You could probably counterbalance that a bit by having some kind of desirability rating for each title (based on taxes, etc) so your heir's siblings would actually notice if they were getting hosed over when you hoard all the sweetest land for yourself.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hellioning posted:

I suppose? I just feel it would make an already easy game even easier.

The player heir still gets literally all of the gold, if you instead made it so that gold got distributed around to fix up differences in the relative value of titles given then you'd retain the difficulty while still being more fun and make more sense.

I mean, right now getting all the money means that you effectively get all the titles if you really care about doing that, since you can out-spend your fellow claimants in an immediate war.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Zaodai posted:

I'm hoping somebody else has run into this and has a fix, because I can find threads all over the place of people experiencing it but nobody doing anything but the standard recommendation of verifying file integrity.

A bunch of the little coats of arms in the character window and on the map are just.. blank. The window is transparent. You can mouse over them, and it'll load the tooltip and the tooltip will have the coat of arms displayed in it fine. You can have it where like the Kingdom of France loads in fine for the King on his character portrait, but then the little line below that where it lists all his titles, that same coat of arms will be blank.

I don't use mods, and at no point had installed any mods. I've verified file integrity, I've gone through and renamed any folder I could find with "coat_of_arms" in it and had Steam redownload those files. I've renamed my Crusader Kings 3 folder in My Documents\Paradox Interactive and let the game recreate that from scratch. Happens on new games or loaded saves either one, and is even visible on the map if you go to select any ruler at game start.

I feel like it has to be some weird caching issue or something, but I just can't seem to fix it and it bugs the living poo poo out of me if I try to play.

It might be additional files in the directory that weren’t caught by the file integrity check. Do you have access to achievements?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

scaterry posted:

It might be additional files in the directory that weren’t caught by the file integrity check. Do you have access to achievements?

The check at game start says I do with ironman on and default settings.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Zaodai posted:

The check at game start says I do with ironman on and default settings.

That does happen occasionally with Paradox games, and it's almost always a cache error. Try deleting the CK3 directory again and letting it rebuild, maybe delete and then reverify before launching again?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

binge crotching posted:

That does happen occasionally with Paradox games, and it's almost always a cache error. Try deleting the CK3 directory again and letting it rebuild, maybe delete and then reverify before launching again?

I had renamed the whole folder so it had to rebuild entirely, and did reverify before launching. I do certain agree that it's likely a caching error of some sort, it's just a matter of finding the right file it needs to rebuild. Someone in discord suggested it might be the shaders that are jacked, so I'm currently moving those and letting them re-download to see if that helps.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The cache wouldn't be in the game folder, but rather in the user folder (Documents/Paradox/CK3 or your local equivalent), I think? I'm traveling so I don't know the exact location and I might be confusing it with CK2's graphics cache.

But yeah, that sounds like a classic cache fuckup and the best fix is to delete and let the game regenerate it.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 31, 2021

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dallan Invictus posted:

The cache wouldn't be in the game folder, but rather in the user folder (Documents/Paradox/CK3 or your local equivalent), I think? I'm traveling so I don't know the exact location and I might be confusing it with CK2's graphics cache.

But yeah, that sounds like a classic cache fuckup and the best fix is to delete and let the game regenerate it.

I would have thought the same. I've nuked that folder a couple of times though and at best it might be changing which coat of arms aren't loading correctly but doesn't reduce the amount. It does take a bit for the game to load on startup, maybe something is timing out on trying to populate that cache? I don't have CK3 on my SSD (though the cache itself is), but I wouldn't think a Paradox game would be designed with that tight a requirement and no option around it. People play their games on laptops and old clunkers.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I had Steam move it to my SSD, nuked the whole Crusader Kings 3 folder and tried again. It didn't fix the problem, but it did make it so achievements are no longer available. Not sure what to make of that. I dislike the idea of using some of my meager bandwidth cap to do a complete reinstall but it seems that's what I'm down to.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Getting back into this game after needing a little break from Europa Universalis IV and I'm finding this game is a lot more fun after deciding to stop playing a small count/duchy in France/HRE yet again and quitting as soon as my first character dies. Playing in a different area and culture has a bigger impact than I expected. This game is such a blast and is so funny, too.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I liked playing with this mod to help give a bit more structure to that style of play: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2598510445&searchtext=

It’s fun just bouncing around the world, not worrying too much about inheritance and watching the world develop.

Edit: in retrospect I think I misinterpreted your post - but it’s still a cool mod!

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Jabor posted:

The player heir still gets literally all of the gold, if you instead made it so that gold got distributed around to fix up differences in the relative value of titles given then you'd retain the difficulty while still being more fun and make more sense.

I mean, right now getting all the money means that you effectively get all the titles if you really care about doing that, since you can out-spend your fellow claimants in an immediate war.

unless your primary heir is a grandchild who doesn't get auto-claims on the other heirs' stuff

which happens a whole lot of the time for me!

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Is there a good beginner's guide people recommend to this game? Just picked it up on gamepass from a friend's recommendation and I'm lost; never played a similar type game (civ, 4x, whatever they're called) so really starting from scratch.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The in-game tutorial is good. Aside from that, I honestly recommend you just pick a character/dynasty with a goal (conquer all of Hispania for either Muslims or Christians, establish Rurikid dominance over Russia, restore the old Roman Empire with any number of starting folks, establish a Crusader kingdom and then maintain it, migrate to India as Vikings, establish a Turkish sultanate in Anatolia, etc) and then meddle through. The learning is half the fun.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What’s a good country to use for a custom character if I want to focus on spreading my dynasty around the world primarily via diplomacy and intrigue? Preferably not within the HRE but I’m open to arguments.

Probably not something too big. I was thinking Pomerania and then trying to spread out

blue squares fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 5, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Brittania (or any island but Britain's the biggest). Oceans make great moats and if you're not declaring many wars they will help you more than they hurt.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Also I like using claimants to increase my realm but if my primary goal is to get my own dynasty members into power, what is my follow up move after I put someone else into a position by supporting their claim? How do I get it into my dynasty instead?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can marry them off (matrilineally if necessary) to a spare family member before pushing their claim, so that their heirs will be your dynasty.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

If you're looking at Europe, any of the special provinces are great starting points. Sardinia is one of the better small starts with the silver mine in Cagliari and being on an island; you have diplo range to most of Europe but are left alone to do whatever you want.

If you want to be a Viking (or at least start as one), the Isle of Mann decision is amazing even if all you use it for is the 2500 renown. It turns in to a pretty decent capital, but the renown alone makes it 100% worthwhile for any Viking.

Even something like Oslo with the Heddal Stave Church is a nice place for a capital with the 5% bonus to renown.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Jabor posted:

You can marry them off (matrilineally if necessary) to a spare family member before pushing their claim, so that their heirs will be your dynasty.

Yup, love doing this. Got a spare kid? Invite claimant, marry 'em up, go get that land, wait a generation. You've got a baked in alliance to help keep them there too.

blue squares posted:

What’s a good country to use for a custom character if I want to focus on spreading my dynasty around the world primarily via diplomacy and intrigue? Preferably not within the HRE but I’m open to arguments.

Probably not something too big. I was thinking Pomerania and then trying to spread out

I had a fun game going doing this as Lombardy. I think pretty much anywhere in Italy would be great though. You're in the thick of the action and can spread the web wherever you like.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The culture update can't come out soon enough. Need me my fun indo norse run.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I do fully expect/hope that one of the achievements is to make an Indo-Norse culture, yes. 'The True Legacy of the Indo-Norse' or something like that.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I just want to carve out my own version of the Western Protectorate and see how strong I can get before the Mongols show up and kick my poo poo in.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quick question how much has the game changed since release?

Like I guess it was just my schedule sucking at the time, but I never had a chance to play it, despite pre-ordering it. Now I’ve been alt tabbing a lot of HOI4 recently, and I just want to rotate games for a week or so and I loved playing CK2, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a decent video explanation (I’m going to check out the wiki too) of the games mechanics and possibly if you’re coming from CK2, it can even be a playlist of short videos like those by Pidgyin for HOI4.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It hasn't changed that much. There's only been one DLC release. I think the most major change was that Men at Arms follow the same rules as the levies from your capitol do in regards to how long it takes for them to raise and head back home?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

There has been the small Norse flavor pack released last March, with the first actual DLC coming out next month. In terms of changes, the big one is the Scandinavian adventurers, which were not in the original release. It's possible to disable them (or turn the dial up to 11, the correct choice) if you don't want to deal with Vikings during the 867 start. There have been a few small balance changes such as offering vassalage getting nerfed, but for the most part it's the same game as release.

The big expansion that is due out in a month will change things dramatically, so personally I'd just wait for it to drop before starting to play; it's better to start with the new mechanics as your baseline for how the game works instead of starting to learn one thing and then have it changed a month later.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
My gf is going out of town on a trip in mid-February and holy poo poo am I going to be playing so much Crusader Kings Royal Court.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I might try to screw around with the game a little, just like basic controls and understanding, but it’s nice to jump back into or jump into a Paradox game and not feel like there is huge learning curve of DLC to fight through…as opposed to EU4.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
If I'm resuming a game after 6 months and remember I'm in a war I almost certainly cannot win that will see me go from king to Duke with my worst holding should I roll with it or start a new game?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Captain Splendid posted:

If I'm resuming a game after 6 months and remember I'm in a war I almost certainly cannot win that will see me go from king to Duke with my worst holding should I roll with it or start a new game?

After 6 months? Just start a new game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nah take the L and build back up!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Yeah, both options are perfectly reasonable. Building back from various inevitable setbacks is half the fun of this game. But if you already don't really care about this savegame, maybe getting pushed back to duke is what makes it no longer fun.

Of course if you have some specific map painting goal that is ruined by this war, might as well start over.

I personally always enjoy ongoing games more than starting a new one, because I'm more of a story player. So in the ongoing game I have a lot of interesting characters, old feuds, courtiers I care about for one reason or another... While in the new game, it's just a bunch of randomly generated nobodies.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah building back up is one of the most fun things you can do.

One of my last play throughs my first heir got dethroned by her uncle like two days into her reign, reduced to the lands my first character started with. The saga of revenge slowly picking off his cronies and children until he was powerless and abdicated was like something out of Shakespeare.

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 9, 2022

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That’s truly one of the best things about CK3. Losing in EU4 sucks and there’s nothing fun about it. CK3 you get to make it into a story

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are there any good Screenshot Let’s Plays of CK3 out? I like what I’ve played, but would love to follow along with someone else’s playthrough to see how some game mechanics work, plus it’s an entertaining narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Came back after being gone since shortly after launch, and my 867 Leinster start to re-familiarize myself has been a trip. Starting character only has a young son, and through a cruel twist of fate he dies less than two years after reaching maturity in a battle. Panicking, I marry a particularly fertile woman and pray I can father a child before dying of old age, but I'm close to 80 so it's an incredible long shot. Then, my son's wife gives birth to a daughter and I let out an exhale... my character takes the cue to die less than a year later.
That little girl is now the 65 year old Queen of Ireland, and the head of a witches coven spanning from Ulster to Desmond. I've just converted to feudalism and it went well because I was able to spend almost 15 years focusing on preparations. Now I'm trying to decide if I should go for End of an Era and grab what's reasonable along the way, or restart to work through other achievements.

chaosapiant posted:

Are there any good Screenshot Let’s Plays of CK3 out? I like what I’ve played, but would love to follow along with someone else’s playthrough to see how some game mechanics work, plus it’s an entertaining narrative.

Echoing this, I kinda wish I had the time to do a SSLP, maybe this summer/fall.