Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Important tweet if you accidentally clicked on some dumbass hot take merchant and now your youtube recs are full of fash:

https://twitter.com/NightBreeze1079/status/1478505823567503370

other important tweets:

e: Class 17 arriving from Kidderminster

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

Important tweet if you accidentally clicked on some dumbass hot take merchant and now your youtube recs are full of fash:

https://twitter.com/NightBreeze1079/status/1478505823567503370

I've been on this train, very big and comfy. Had a car that was decked out like a 50s diner, selling this brown caramelised cheese on a waffle. Had another car that was a soft play area where you could dump your kids. 10 out of 10.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

keep punching joe posted:

I've been on this train, very big and comfy. Had a car that was decked out like a 50s diner, selling this brown caramelised cheese on a waffle. Had another car that was a soft play area where you could dump your kids. 10 out of 10.

I wonder how often people get off the train and leave their kids in the soft play. Accidentally or otherwise.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Poor Keith, he’ll beat Bolsonaro at this rate

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Guavanaut posted:

e: Class 17 arriving from Kidderminster

Don't make me miss the Severn Valley. I can't afford to visit :(

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fuctifino posted:

I'm vaping legal UK mediweed right now, and have some legal Ghost Train Haze on its way to me tomorrow via DPD. The future is already here for some.

In other news, lol

ahhh Biddenham, where all the posher kids get sent to avoid our lovely side of town only to become our drug dealers

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Thread's favourite author JKR gets a kicking for anti-semitism.

Source: Heil/news/article-10368289/Jon-Stewart-accuses-JK-Rowling-anti-Semitism-Harry-Potter.html

quote:

'Here's how you know Jews are still where they are': Jon Stewart accuses JK Rowling of anti-Semitism over her depiction of goblins in Harry Potter who run the Gringotts Wizarding Bank

Jon Stewart called the goblins that run Gringotts bank in the Harry Potter universe an anti-semitic trope on his The Problem with Jon Stewart podcast

He questioned why J.K. Rowling chose to 'throw Jews in there to run the f***ing underground bank' in a world where people 'can ride dragons and have pet owls'

Rowling has been mired in controversy since June 2020, when she posted a series of tweets about the transgender community

She was not in attendance for HBO's 20th anniversary 'Return to Hogwarts' reunion special, which featured interviews with numerous cast members

etc

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Don't see how you could read this as anti semitic tbh. It's just a little goblin man in a suit. He's happy because he loves gold so much.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

European countries are so much better than us in every way and it's maddening

I was watching Geowizard's trip across europe series over the last week or so. Everything is so clean, everything works so well, the trains are awesome, everyone is so nice and friendly and cool, all the food and drink is cheap and amazing, etc., etc.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I heard jembery crumbum watched Harry Potter once, yet more antisemitism from the so called tolerant left

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I watched that Potter reunion and her absence was delightful. I hope some of the cast agreed to be involved only on the condition that she wasn't.

Notably known JKR transphobia defender Robbie Coltrane was one of the few to film all his stuff on his own and didn't interact with the rest of the cast.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Source: Heil/news/article-10368289/Jon-Stewart-accuses-JK-Rowling-anti-Semitism-Harry-Potter.html

It's what happens when you are a narrow-minded white woman who steals content from other popular things. Her goblins are identical in every way to the incredibly problematic original world of warcraft banker goblins, which wow tried to fix by making them a playable race in an attempt to retcon the bank thing.

I read a lot of problematic Victorian literature and the new publisher warnings on them are always fair "this book may offend a modern reader because it contains racist language which the publisher does not condone " and so on but you don't expect to need those warnings on a book from two thousand and loving seven.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

stev posted:

I watched that Potter reunion and her absence was delightful. I hope some of the cast agreed to be involved only on the condition that she wasn't.

The Time Lords have sealed her in 2019 for her many crimes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

learnincurve posted:

but you don't expect to need those warnings on a book from two thousand and loving seven.

Lol just imagine the boiled piss if they slapped a warning on her books

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

stev posted:

Notably known JKR transphobia defender Robbie Coltrane was one of the few to film all his stuff on his own and didn't interact with the rest of the cast.

Sad to hear he's gone the same way. :(

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Just Another Lurker posted:

Sad to hear he's gone the same way. :(

Stealing my own post from SFWF:

josh04 posted:

It's a bit sad really, Coltrane was the one in the special who clearly wanted to be there the most (just ahead of Chris Columbus who was thrilled to have some former child actors whose lives he didn't ruin) and he's an old guy who thinks that the series is what his grandkids are going to remember him for and is terrified at the thought of it falling from grace. That doesn't excuse anything, obviously, but it was very apparent.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

stev posted:

I hope she watched the whole thing with boiling piss.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Pretty unfair to accuse her of anti semitism. She had a background character that was Jewish.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

Are you saying all Scottish people look the same???

No, just that - thanks to the Danish influence on Celtic culture, and the long history of sheep farming - Scots are predisposed to enjoying a day at Legoland Windsor and a nice lamb lunch.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The funniest poo poo is Daniel Radcliffe is Jewish so for maximum points she could've just said Harry Potter is Jewish and watched nazis the world over freak the gently caress out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tesseraction posted:

The funniest poo poo is Daniel Radcliffe is Jewish so for maximum points she could've just said Harry Potter is Jewish and watched nazis the world over freak the gently caress out.

I'm surprised she hasn't claimed that one of the students transitioned later in life to combat the transphobia accusations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

josh04 posted:

Stealing my own post from SFWF:

Thank you for the info, context matters. :tipshat:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

my youtube recs are constantly Saveafox and NY wolf conservation center and that's ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4vbmEsg6pQ

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

stev posted:

I'm surprised she hasn't claimed that one of the students transitioned later in life to combat the transphobia accusations.

Otoh I just imagine she'd write a story about a Muslim wizard called Muhammed Allahuackbar using a polyjuice potion to turn into a woman to do sex crimes like in her unhinged thriller.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

TERF twitter is currently ablaze with "Actually it's anti-semitic of Jon Stewart to look at goblins and see jewish people".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Don't see how you could read this as anti semitic tbh. It's just a little goblin man in a suit. He's happy because he loves gold so much.

Amazed that made it into the film. Especially with the added 'artistic' decisions of decking the bank where greedy bank goblins live in six pointed stars for the adaptation.

Books get away with a lot of poo poo because they have a high latitude of "well, that's your interpretation" (e.g. orangutans) that films (especially mass market family films) would not, and if the NAACP could get Roald Dahl's racist pygmy Oompa-Loompas removed from production in the 70s, what were the ADL or similar groups doing in the 00s?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pretty unfair to accuse her of anti semitism. She had a background character that was Jewish.

That name always floors me

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Very progressively writing minority characters like Anthony Goldstein the big brained Jew, Seamus Finnegan the Irish kid who blows things up a lot, and Ching Chong Cho Chang, the Asian girl who fill in this bit later and Harry has a crush on her.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Amazed that made it into the film. Especially with the added 'artistic' decisions of decking the bank where greedy bank goblins live in six pointed stars for the adaptation.

Books get away with a lot of poo poo because they have a high latitude of "well, that's your interpretation" (e.g. orangutans) that films (especially mass market family films) would not, and if the NAACP could get Roald Dahl's racist pygmy Oompa-Loompas removed from production in the 70s, what were the ADL or similar groups doing in the 00s?

HP defenders will say that the star in the floor just happened to be part of the existing building they used for the bank scenes, but there are apparently[1] several shots where the camera goes out of its way to show it.

[1] Never read the books, never seen the films,

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Never read the books but have the box set and have marathoned all the movies several times.

Managed to get my first 30min walk of the year between rain showers. :)

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

GOLDstein, eh, JK? I bet she even pronounces it wrong like that devil man gerbil crombobyn.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Just Another Lurker posted:

Never read the books but have the box set and have marathoned all the movies several times.

Managed to get my first 30min walk of the year between rain showers. :)

The very definition of mixed messages is that I try and get 10k steps a day and there's a McDonalds 5k steps from my home.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Lord of the Llamas posted:

GOLDstein, eh, JK? I bet she even pronounces it wrong like that devil man gerbil crombobyn.

a classic
https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/770958110882164736?lang=en

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

stev posted:

Thats just because they needed to film him separately to make him look bigger than everyone else

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sometimes I enjoy the eccentricity of our country https://twitter.com/daytimesnaps/status/1478702774313525257

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cheer up a Potter fan in your life by reminding them that they live in the magical wizarding world of Harry Potter already, they're just one of the non-magical folk that the wizards decided are a lower form of life and have left to die cold, alone and afraid in a dying world while they live in a gated community run by slaves and literally magic away all of their problems.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

stev posted:

I would love this just for the kind of "supporting trans people" that terfs do. Neville Longbottom decides to call HIMself Natalie Longbottom and wear dresses, but never has the temerity to force anyone to call HIM by his non-biological pronouns, always introduces HIMself as "Natalie, formerly Neville, born with a male penis and possessing male biological characteristics, please call me HIM because that is the scientific truth of my physical form", and never once complains or disagrees when his coworkers at wherever he ended up spend half the day by his side yelling "YOU HAVE A LARGE MALE GAMETE" at him repeatedly because that would be silencing free speech, and in return the kind wizarding society graciously allows him to not have his soul sucked out for spreading dark gender ideology

e: I looked it up and apparently he goes on to teach at Hogwarts. he'd have to give that up, of course, can't be exposing the children to this sort of thing

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

HP defenders will say that the star in the floor just happened to be part of the existing building they used for the bank scenes, but there are apparently[1] several shots where the camera goes out of its way to show it.

[1] Never read the books, never seen the films,

No no, I'm not antisemitic. I'm just staggeringly incompetent and utterly blind to symbolism.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Reminder that there was a whole book in the Harry Potter series about changing gender via magic in order to get into the girls toilets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Cheer up a Potter fan in your life by reminding them that they live in the magical wizarding world of Harry Potter already, they're just one of the non-magical folk that the wizards decided are a lower form of life and have left to die cold, alone and afraid in a dying world while they live in a gated community run by slaves and literally magic away all of their problems.

Not to defend the books (they are just not good on a critical level. They are so tied into a school term structure that the plot can't advance naturally and each plot can only be finished by terms end.) But it's Cannon in the books that Magical people are a higher life form.
To cast spells you have to be a Pureblood or a Mudblood. But also your body is literally superior to a human. (That's why the Wizards can be knocked off flying brooms and only suffer mild injuries or get poisoned by magical creatures in ways that would straight up kill normal humans.)
It is hugely problematic, but it's consistent in it's internal structure.