Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

bird with big dick posted:

I bet the dealership that has taken seven years worth of bronco reservations is one of them!

Yep.

Granger of IA - No ADM, $1000 off invoice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

KingKapalone posted:

Thinking about getting a new car this year and I figured an EV makes sense. ICE isn't going anywhere yet, but I'm not sure if I should still consider them. Where should I get started? I have lots of upfront questions, that ICE vs EV being the first.

I've never bought a new car before so I'm not experienced picking out features/trims. I got my 2007 Mazda in 2010 I think.

How do I find out about getting a charger at home?

I saw it might make sense to lease right now but traditionally I've heard that's a waste of money?

Is it even possible to get an EV or are they all booked for a long time?

I'm looking at SUVs for more space and based on googling best electric SUV I'd probably be fine with the cheaper ones.

I work from home so don't drive much but that will probably increase over the years with children.

I'm in a similar boat. I have a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, which has been a great vehicle, but it's finally starting to show its age. In early 2020 I looked at EVs, but felt like they weren't quite fully baked yet, both design and infrastructure-wise.

Right before the pandemic kicked off I was all set to buy a Sonata Hybrid, but since then I've only filled up my Fusion's gas tank two or three times in the last ~2 years. Now I'm looking at having to drive again soon, and I don't know how much longer the Fusion has.

The EV landscape looks more or less fully-realized now. I think I want another mid-/full-sized sedan, but the Ioniq 5 looks amazing and might sway me toward a hatchback. Unfortunately they won't be available in my state until "mid-2022" (which means late 2022), and my local Hyundai dealer is the scummiest of scummy car dealerships.

I know the common wisdom is "this is a terrible time to buy a car unless you're desperate for a car", but I may have to soon. And around here, used cars are going for nearly as much (and in a few cases more!) than new ones.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
The dealer experience while investigating/test-driving a Mach-E is what knocked me off the fence and into a Tesla. The Model Y isn't perfect, and gods know Elon comes with his own set of problems, but the dealership bullshit after not having to interact with them at all for over a decade made me swear off them entirely.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Russian Bear posted:

Hand cranked windows in a new EV would be hilarious and amazing.

Extend that range

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Extend that range

Install a second hand operated crank that charges the battery for emergencies.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

kitten emergency posted:

lol dealer service estimated 4 hours to do module updates on the Mach-E and over 24 hours to fix the glass. I can see the latter because the adhesive gotta cure but 4 hours to flash the software?

My dealer keeps insisting that there is not yet a remedy for the glass every time I call them, despite that Ford and the dealer themselves have emailed me saying there is a remedy and I should schedule to have it done.

Are they shitheads or is it in pre-announce or do they roll these things out by region or something?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

mattfl posted:

1. When you hit the temp setting closest to the driver does it say split? If so hit that and it should take it back to sync mode.
2. n/a to me
3. I've never had tidal load up for me, I use the built in streaming service(not spotify) exclusively and I don't even know what the tidal screen looks like.

For 1, yes there is a 'split' button, but it does not remove the second temperature control regardless of setting.
2. You live in a place where you don't need to defrost?
3. I've gotten this like 5 times now upon getting in the car. I've never selected Tidal and it was always previously on USB or Phone input.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tenchrono posted:

Anyone else's Tesla app show their cars location being off by hundreds of miles? I left my car at airport parking the other week while I am visiting my mom and decided to check up on it today and its showing it being in the middle of a field in Nebraska when I left it at Denver :thunk:.

Edit: also lol if you are getting a lightning for under 100k in the next few years.

your car’s been stolen, homes :smith:

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Bone Crimes posted:

For 1, yes there is a 'split' button, but it does not remove the second temperature control regardless of setting.
3. I've gotten this like 5 times now upon getting in the car. I've never selected Tidal and it was always previously on USB or Phone input.

1. I can see it both ways. More comfortable access for both driver and passenger with new way but uses more screen real estate.
2. I agree that removing it was unnecessary but I preheat/pre defrost my car and on the rare chance I need defroster for foggy window pressing the button twice isn’t really a big deal.
3. If you disable Tidal as a selectable source, it might stop bothering you. Don’t know for sure but tidal never pops up for me and I disabled immediately after the update made it available

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

TJChap2840 posted:

1. I can see it both ways. More comfortable access for both driver and passenger with new way but uses more screen real estate.
2. I agree that removing it was unnecessary but I preheat/pre defrost my car and on the rare chance I need defroster for foggy window pressing the button twice isn’t really a big deal.
3. If you disable Tidal as a selectable source, it might stop bothering you. Don’t know for sure but tidal never pops up for me and I disabled immediately after the update made it available

1. I guess, but the old way was that when unsynced it would put two temps on the screen and use more space, and when they were synced there would only be one temp. Now not only does it take more critical control space on the bottom row, its confusing as there are explicitly duplicative buttons on the screen in the most commonly used mode.
2. The main issue I see is that to turn on the defrost, I now have to 'register' where on the screen the button I need is twice, instead of just once. I'm willing to use a touchscreen in a car for critical stuff (and I totally understand why everyone is not ok with that) but now I have to 1. glance down an register where to push 2. push button 3. check traffic 4. glance down *again* to find the right defrost button (and front and rear are not that different in their icons) in the widget and press it. I would maybe feel differently if it weren't a critical thing - but come on Tesla. Whoever said they must have fired their last UX person might have been on to something. It's now easier to use voice, but I hate doing that for stuff like defrost.
3. Audio sources are not disable-able in the updated software, at least not as far as I can tell. I had disabled all I could in the previous version, and would have removed Spotify, but they limited how many sources you could remove.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bone Crimes posted:

1. Weird, if I'm showing 2 temps and I hit that split button, the 2 temps stay on the screen for a few seconds but eventually the one on the passenger side goes away.
2. Central florida and garage kept
3. What if you choose your preferred source and then resave your driver profile

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Paramemetic posted:

My dealer keeps insisting that there is not yet a remedy for the glass every time I call them, despite that Ford and the dealer themselves have emailed me saying there is a remedy and I should schedule to have it done.

Are they shitheads or is it in pre-announce or do they roll these things out by region or something?

They don’t actually do the service themselves, they subcontract to some glass installer. I can’t imagine why they’d say there was no fix.

That said, the dealer was unimpressed with my recall notice that said they’d have to provide me with a rental car for the duration, so I suppose there’s some leeway here… I didn’t really feel like fighting with them about it though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I just called Ford's Lightning hotline to change dealers since the one I had reserved with told me today they'll likely mark my truck up by $25k. The dealer I chose supposedly doesn't do markups.

It's just such a crapshoot right now. There's literally no way to guarantee what price you're going to end up paying. Even with people that have signed "purchase agreements" when I was in car sales we were always told those weren't legally binding (in either direction) and even if you want to assume that they are it doesn't stop a dealer from selling the car out from under you it just means you may have some legal recourse after the fact which is likely going to involve lawyers and still doesn't mean you're going to get a car.

Then there's the fact that paying MSRP for an F-150 has always been a terrible deal. I got my ICE F-150 for 8 grand or so under MSRP and even that wasn't a particularly good deal. They claim Ford is trying to change their pricing model to get away from huge discounts like this (as part of changing their dealership model more towards special orders) but of course they're going to say that.

As a once and likely future F-150 owner I'm not really interested in the Lightning anyway since it loses one of the huge appeals the F-150 has for me which is that it's the world's greatest road trip vehicle. Room for honest to god 5 adults along with 3 cubic meters of luggage (with a bed cover) and 720 mile range with the 36 gallon tank. Take the EVs 300 mile range and then figure it's really only ~240 at highway speeds and then figure you're charging 10-80 so it's functionally ~160 miles and it just doesn't cut it. It'll be great for what most people will use it for though which is just a city car that can haul a 75 inch TV upright.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I've taken my family across the country twice in Teslas, and haven't had issues with charging. With bathroom breaks and grabbing food, our charging sessions were always complete by the time we returned to our car. We only needed to charge on the road 2 times daily since each hotel we stayed in had a destination charger along the way.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Everyone has different behaviors and expectations when it comes to road trips but I don't take 40 minute shits and my last 671 mile road trip had 5 charging stops rather than 2.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I've taken my family across the country twice in Teslas, and haven't had issues with charging. With bathroom breaks and grabbing food, our charging sessions were always complete by the time we returned to our car. We only needed to charge on the road 2 times daily since each hotel we stayed in had a destination charger along the way.

Road tripping in both Teslas has been really nice. You can't plow though stopping only to gas up and change your adult diaper, you have to take a break once in a while and stretch.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You guys are aware the Lightning is a Ford not a Tesla, right?

The road tripping experience in a Ford is not going to be as good as a Tesla, that's part of the point and I think something we all know.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The road tripping experience in a Ford is not going to be as good as a Tesla, that's part of the point and I think something we all know.

Actually I wasn't aware this was a general opinion.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Russian Bear posted:

Install a second hand operated crank that charges the battery for emergencies.

Tired: one pedal accelerator
Wired: elliptical accelerator + charger

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Everyone has different behaviors and expectations when it comes to road trips but I don't take 40 minute shits and my last 671 mile road trip had 5 charging stops rather than 2.

I guess you don't have 3 girls in your family then. 5 charging stops in 671 miles is nuts though, jeez. My trips were in the winter, and I didn't suffer range loss close to that bad.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
gently caress a 671 mile road trip imo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A buddy of mine visits family in texas (from ohio) like twice a year. It's like 1,200 miles each way. Wanna make that trip on an EV someday just to see how long it takes.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A buddy of mine visits family in texas (from ohio) like twice a year. It's like 1,200 miles each way. Wanna make that trip on an EV someday just to see how long it takes.

Best case scenario, you're looking at 10 hours for every 600 miles. Bjorn Nyland on Youtube has done 1000 km challenges in several EVs, and 10 hours is considered pretty good.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

Actually I wasn't aware this was a general opinion.

I mean, the supercharger network being a big pro for Tesla still gets brought up every time comparisons are being made does it not?

Add to that Teslas are more efficient which translates into less of a highway mph penalty and that efficiency also means a ~300 mile range tesla has a ~80 kwh battery but a ~300 mile range Mach has a ~90 kwh battery. How bads it gonna be with a 300 mile range F-150 having a 131 kwh battery?

So when I say "This Ford probably ain't gonna be great for road trips" and the guy planning on buying the Ford effectively responds with "Why? my Tesla was great!" it makes me think maybe he hasn't actually looked real closely at the actual situation.

If you plug the trip I just did into ABRP with a Mach-E vs a LR Model 3 the mach is 5 stops, the longest being 40 minutes and a Tesla LR 3 is 3 stops with the longest being 19 minutes and overall is 3 hours faster.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Russian Bear posted:

Hand cranked windows in a new EV would be hilarious and amazing.

Hand crank windows but the cranks run a generator that powers the electric windows.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I did my trips back when Tesla superchargers were much more scarce than they are today, and Electrify America's network is expanding quite a bit. It won't be long until Tesla opens their network up to non-Tesla vehicles.

As for the Lightning's charging times, I'm certain it won't charge as fast as my Model 3 but a 131 kWh battery will have a pretty flat charging curve so it won't be that much longer.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gently caress a 671 mile road trip imo

Sure, and having a giant pile of children that need to pee for 40 minutes every 2.5 hours changes the calculus also, that's why everyone's situations and needs are different. But "Tesla's are fine at it so this Ford will be also" is not something that can currently be taken for granted.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Best case scenario, you're looking at 10 hours for every 600 miles. Bjorn Nyland on Youtube has done 1000 km challenges in several EVs, and 10 hours is considered pretty good.

That’s really not too bad. I took a 623-mile (plus a few detours for stuff) trip this summer, and excluding the side trips to go see something interesting, it took us about 12 hours each way in ICE vehicles. It was ~10 hours on Google Maps, but longer once we factored in a lunch and quick dinner, bathroom/leg-stretch breaks (we’re now less youthful than once we were), etc.

I don’t know how accurate it is, I’ve been told a few places to add ~20% to whatever the usual time is for a current-generation EV with average-speed chargers. It’ll be less than that if you get V3 superchargers the whole way, or more if you’re on 50kW CCS/CHAdeMO a lot.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Bone Crimes posted:

Tesla things

1 and 2 combined: There’s definitely the consistency aspect to consider with AC positioning. Not only is it easier to reach but it’s always in the same place. Losing the quick defrost is unfortunate but, in my Georgia experience, the number of times I hit that while driving is very low.

On the topic of “having to look at the screen”, I have to look at my controls no matter how familiar I am with a car. Having two button presses in a touchscreen definitely adds to it but it’s not like you aren’t looking down at your AC controls when you adjust fan speed/temperature in an ICE vehicle.

Overall I don’t disagree with the common complains on those things, just pointing out the other side of the coin.

3. I disabled tidal before the big update came out. Maybe that’s why I’m not having issues. I also didn’t realize I could no longer disable sources so thanks for pointing that out

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I did my trips back when Tesla superchargers were much more scarce than they are today, and Electrify America's network is expanding quite a bit. It won't be long until Tesla opens their network up to non-Tesla vehicles.

As for the Lightning's charging times, I'm certain it won't charge as fast as my Model 3 but a 131 kWh battery will have a pretty flat charging curve so it won't be that much longer.

If your definition of "not that much longer" is "twice as long" then I'd say your expectations are appropriately set.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

If your definition of "not that much longer" is "twice as long" then I'd say your expectations are appropriately set.

Ford's claiming 15%-80% charging time of 41 minutes so I'm looking at a 10 minute penalty, not that bad considering how much larger the battery has than a Model 3.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
seems like the actual X factor between ford and Tesla is gonna be EA vs Supercharger reliability. i haven’t really heard of anything bad with superchargers

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Don't forget Tesla's going to open their network up for that sweet government money.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

kitten emergency posted:

seems like the actual X factor between ford and Tesla is gonna be EA vs Supercharger reliability. i haven’t really heard of anything bad with superchargers

The x factor is that Ford's charging curve sucks dicks and I doubt it's going to be massively improved for the Lightning.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Ford's claiming 15%-80% charging time of 41 minutes so I'm looking at a 10 minute penalty, not that bad considering how much larger the battery has than a Model 3.

Lol okay good luck.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I mean, the supercharger network being a big pro for Tesla still gets brought up every time comparisons are being made does it not?

Add to that Teslas are more efficient which translates into less of a highway mph penalty and that efficiency also means a ~300 mile range tesla has a ~80 kwh battery but a ~300 mile range Mach has a ~90 kwh battery. How bads it gonna be with a 300 mile range F-150 having a 131 kwh battery?

So when I say "This Ford probably ain't gonna be great for road trips" and the guy planning on buying the Ford effectively responds with "Why? my Tesla was great!" it makes me think maybe he hasn't actually looked real closely at the actual situation.

If you plug the trip I just did into ABRP with a Mach-E vs a LR Model 3 the mach is 5 stops, the longest being 40 minutes and a Tesla LR 3 is 3 stops with the longest being 19 minutes and overall is 3 hours faster.

Maybe I could get you to chat with Cruft Jr about why the 55kW-capped Chevy Bolt isn't going to be a fantastic car for the 316-mile trip to college.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
We took our Bolt on a 180mi trip a few weeks ago (with range severely degraded due to weather and 80% SoC) and had 2 short charging stops, one which was basically a bathroom break, and the other a fairly normal lunch stop and it was barely noticeable and would have been like 5 minutes less with a gas car. It felt perfectly fine for the occasional long trip.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

Maybe I could get you to chat with Cruft Jr about why the 55kW-capped Chevy Bolt isn't going to be a fantastic car for the 316-mile trip to college.

Jr deserves something nice. I'll sell you the Mach-E.

The Mach is great for trips that only require 1 or 2 charges but all day road trips the lesser efficiency and the fact that you spend a lot of time charging at 80 or 85 kw really starts to stack up.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

quote:

long trip.

lmao this is what I mean with different needs and expectations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Charging times for road trips is what keeps bringing my interest back to the Korean cars. I know I only do 3-4 long road trips per year (up to 1500 miles each way) and most of my daily driving is 30 miles or under, but the thought of having multiple 40 minute stops per day on a trip sounds terrible.
I think I could handle ~20 minute stops for the wife and dog though.