Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mr. Squishy posted:

https://twitter.com/Hoganmag/status/1478368871170068483

It's really weird to see these. Look at those stocky proportions! and the feminist politics!

They look like they belong on the Super Hero Squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nostalgamus posted:

For the people in this thread who are scanning old comic books: What do you use?

I've been advised that flatbed scanners are a poor tool for the job, and trying to find more information about the alternatives.

I currently use a flatbed but I've been contemplating cobbling one of these together: https://www.instructables.com/Bargain-Price-Book-Scanner-From-A-Cardboard-Box/

manero fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 5, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "484 - Jucika And The Train"

"485 - Jucika And The Guard"

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! January 24, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True January 27, 1919

Gay and Her Gang February 5, 1930

Oaky Doaks July 7, 1936

Mopsy September 14, 1937

Up Front October 18, 1944

Dark Laughter May 27, 1950

So It Seems March 20, 1952

Those Were the Days November 14, 1957

Wee Pals March 29, 1966

Dogbert October 19, 1966

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 06, 1949)

That last panel is delightful, I love Vintage Val

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Calaveron posted:

Plus he's hanging out with that child because he's in the Big Brother program, it's literally volunteer work

Was this ever actually confirmed as an official, in-canon thing, or was it just an excuse that we all made up that got colloquially adopted? And if it is the in-universe explanation, is it "like" a Big Brother, or was Dustin actually assigned this kid by the Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization?

As far as I know, there's no official agency relationship or even like, babysitting money. He just hangs out with this kid.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

Every story has at least one panel of lovingly drawn food. It always looks so good. You can get hungry reading this strip.

I vote we take Bernice on a cruise and push her over the rail.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Give her the Aldo Kelrast treatment.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Nostalgamus posted:

For the people in this thread who are scanning old comic books: What do you use?

I've been advised that flatbed scanners are a poor tool for the job, and trying to find more information about the alternatives.

I use a flatbed too, and yeah, it's very obvious that its not the greatest fit for what I'm trying to get it to do (as you'll see in tonight's weird patch jobs where the dialogue closest to the spine shows up as a barely legible smear).

Mutts

Welcome back to The Sally Forth Retro-Fest-O-Rama! (or whatever we're calling this)

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (April 23, 1934)

Peanuts (January 7, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 5, 1938)

Out Our Way (January 3-5, 1938)

Spoilered because NOW LISTEN YOU. This appeared in a family newspaper in 1938 and I expect you jerks to behave yourselves.

Toonerville Folks (July 18-20, 1918)

Dok's Dippy Upper Respiratory Virus (December 3, 1913; I did a lot of cleaning up on this one, but the last panel was a little trickier.)

I See In The Papers (subbing for Little Lefty; November 18-20, 1935)

Blondie (From Zero) (July 2-4, 1931)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 5, 2022

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

I AM GRANDO posted:

Give her the Aldo Kelrast treatment.
That would require Luann, college student, to drink… alcohol!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Samovar posted:

Huh. That art looks almost exactly like the person who drew those paleontologist webcomics. Whatever happened to them, I wonder?

Which comics? The Junior Scientist Paleontologist Power Hour? That'd be Abby Howard, and she's been working on a game (Scarlet Hollow), and very occasionally updating her webcomic Last Halloween. The Paleontologist comics in that strip are really old and not like her current style, but she released a small book with them with her more modern style.

That strip, though, appears to be to be drawn by the person who does Scoob & Shag, a webcomic that starts as a wacky parody and quickly becomes a multi-property crossover epic sci-fi drama/action story that hasn't updated since last August.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 5, 2022

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

I See In The Papers (subbing for Little Lefty; November 18-20, 1935)

The Morro Castle was an ocean liner which met a pretty terrible and weird end on September 8, 1934 while en route to NYC from Havana. First the ship's captain retired after dinner, complaining of stomach issues, and died in his quarters of an apparent heart attack. Then the ship caught fire and, after losing all electrical power, ran aground near Asbury Park, NJ, still on fire. Nearly 150 lives were lost in the evacuation process and the burnt hulk of the ship stayed on the beach for six months or so, becoming a tourist attraction. No official cause of the fire (or the death of the captain) was ever confirmed but Mac was right, you could probably rule out "act of god" for many reasons.

Howard Beale fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 5, 2022

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

manero posted:

I currently use a flatbed but I've been contemplating cobbling one of these together: https://www.instructables.com/Bargain-Price-Book-Scanner-From-A-Cardboard-Box/
Hate to say it but while that looks simple in the pictures I bet it's really fiddly to adjust each part so it works right, and paradoxically you'd probably have an easier time of it if you already have experience setting up a more involved DIY one (like the one linked in the article, that looks decent at a glance). Particularly using a cheapo desk lamp strikes me as really not up to the job. Though, depends on the bulb, I suppose.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Green Intern posted:

I laughed at a Luann comic today.

I can't help but hear this to the tune of Johnny Cash's 'Hurt'.

(Yes, I know it doesn't scan)

Nostalgamus posted:

I am a poor idiot who uses their camera phone and an external light and thus put myself through a lot more bother than is necessary. Alas, I have no room for a scanner in my current place.

Pyroclastic posted:

Which comics? The Junior Scientist Paleontologist Power Hour? That'd be Abby Howard, and she's been working on a game (Scarlet Hollow), and very occasionally updating her webcomic Last Halloween. The Paleontologist comics in that strip are really old and not like her current style, but she released a small book with them with her more modern style.

That strip, though, appears to be to be drawn by the person who does Scoob & Shag, a webcomic that starts as a wacky parody and quickly becomes a multi-property crossover epic sci-fi drama/action story that hasn't updated since last August.

That was the one I was thinking of, ta.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 5, 2022

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Vargo posted:

Was this ever actually confirmed as an official, in-canon thing, or was it just an excuse that we all made up that got colloquially adopted? And if it is the in-universe explanation, is it "like" a Big Brother, or was Dustin actually assigned this kid by the Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization?

As far as I know, there's no official agency relationship or even like, babysitting money. He just hangs out with this kid.

I think we're partly misremembering this strip:

and mostly misremembering some goon a few threads ago who was editing Dustin to be positive and affirming, which was frankly better use of the art.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Vargo posted:

Was this ever actually confirmed as an official, in-canon thing, or was it just an excuse that we all made up that got colloquially adopted?

I thought the thread head canon was that he was actually Dustins own kid.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

:allears:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: graduation plans (April 18-24, 2005)

We've reached the part of the strip where characters are "aging up," so to speak. When K&K started in 1995, Rudy was 13, Lindesfarne 14, and Coney had just been born; now, ten years later, Lindesfarne's about to graduate high school. There will be more signifiers of time passing in future strips, like (very minor spoilers) Rudy learning to drive, and Coney aging up from a toddler to a young child.

We're also past the point where I stopped following this strip daily as it was coming out, so from here on out it's mostly uncharted territory for me. Let's find out what sights it has to show us together!

Modern Kevin & Kell

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/4/02

Brenda Starr 12/1-3/47

Smokey Stover 6/10/45

Everyday Movies 9/18/34

Mopey Dick and the Duke, a couple of tramps, were one of various sets of recurring characters in this strip.

Bonus Ad! Can you resist the lure of free gum with your meal?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Nostalgamus posted:

For the classic Valiant strips I just use a flatbed scanner. It's definitely not the best tool for the job, but it's something I already had. The Fantagraphics collections are too big for it, which is why the strips are cut into multiple images most of the time.

How Wonderful! posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For #145, Alison Bechdel (1992)

Occasionally Bechdel does these strips where the characters break, uh... character and interact like they're actors in the story or even collaborators in the plot, in tense labor disputes with Bechdel. It's a cute gag and allows Bechdel a bit of room for cynicism and snark in a comic rather stuffed, after all, with very idealistic and pretty earnest characters in some ways.

Since it has been awhile, I'll reintroduce some of the players:
-The short-haired woman in the bottom row of page one is Yoshi, one of Ginger's students, who is having a fling with Lois.
-The woman with the headband is Jezanna, the owner of the bookstore some of the characters work at.
-The woman with the short unruly blonde hair on page two is Harriet, Mo's aforementioned ex.
-The woman with long hair and glasses is Thea, another employee at the bookstore. She has MS and there's a subplot about Mo having a crush on her.
- I have no idea who the woman talking about Passover is which I guess is the joke.

The trans joke makes me cringe but 1992 was a foreign country. There's a recurring pattern in DTWOF in which an issue or identity comes to increased prominence in the lesbian world, Bechdel initially maybe fumbles her handling of the issue, but then gradually brings a more nuanced approach presumably as she educates herself about the subject. We'll see this take place with bisexuality and we'll (eventually) see it take place with trans and genderqueer characters too, and by the late 90s Bechdel will have shifted from being kind of the unofficial cartoonist-in-residence of the Michigan Womyn's Festival to a vocal critic of its trans-exclusionary policies. This was definitely not an unusual trajectory by any means.

As we can see here, Bechdel is pretty self-aware about writing as a more or less able-bodied white lady, and the temptation to flatten or tokenize characters from other subject positions. And to be sure Thea at this point has not been that engaging of a character, as one of many in what's by now a pretty big ensemble cast. But she'll continue working on that too.

Thank you for posting this again! And thank you especially for the informative commentary.

Vargo posted:

I'm pretty sure we're supposed to think Dustin is childish for wanting to spend time with the neighbor kid. The problem with this is we also see him working as a substitute teacher, and this is the one job he seems to like okay, so it doesn't really work. He just comes off as being good with kids.

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 13, 1949)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Sadly too big for an avatar at original resolution.

This is resized if you want it.

(Also it's transparent, so you know. If you wanna make edits with it, go ahead.)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Medenmath posted:

I'm pretty sure we're supposed to think Dustin is childish for wanting to spend time with the neighbor kid. The problem with this is we also see him working as a substitute teacher, and this is the one job he seems to like okay, so it doesn't really work. He just comes off as being good with kids.

Dustin and Luann should get together.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Why would you wish that on Dustin?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Fire this city planner, that street is unusable.

Docks

Retail

Popcom

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Blueberry: Blount is not a good tracker, or All together now!, or Hey... I'm beginning to think this Prosit fellow might not be a very nice person...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This has been the best Blueberry story so far

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 4 - Jason

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Happy new year again! I know, it’s five days old already. But it’s the thought that counts, and here’s Daddy Bob Warren to lift your spirits in these dark hibernal days.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The_Other posted:

Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 4 - Jason

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

I like the birds loving on her.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

gently caress you, Wilbur.

I wonder if they've leaned to hard into making Wilbur a piece of poo poo because readers like hating on him.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Don't make fun of Bill's bowel problems, kid.

Apartment 3-G

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Got 'em. I'm sure Estelle is thoroughly owned.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Herman the Heathen

Zofie's World

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

so this time they break up for real, right?

...right?...

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I hope Mary claws her way over the railing, soaking wet and hair full of seaweed, to convince Estelle she must marry Wilbur.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Jesus christ could you portray a more toxic relationship

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

CommonShore posted:

This has been the best Blueberry story so far

I'm real glad you're liking it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Y'know I'm too lazy to do edits but as an effort poster elsewhere I know how silence feels so I'm going to resolve to comment more about strips I like.