Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The very definition of mixed messages is that I try and get 10k steps a day and there's a McDonalds 5k steps from my home.

The very definition of a first world problem. ;)

My feed today will consist of a small tin of sardines, gherkins, nuts & dried fruit (not a diet, just can't be arsed cooking today).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

keep punching joe posted:

Reminder that there was a whole book in the Harry Potter series about changing gender via magic in order to get into the girls toilets.

:actually: I think you're mixing up the polyjuice subplot in the second book (where they transform into students of the same gender to get into the Slytherin common room) with a (IIRC) brief joke in one of the later books where someone tries to sneak into the girl's bedroom/bathroom using magic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

Never read the books but have the box set and have marathoned all the movies several times.

Ah, yes, the movies. Which feature a 35 year old woman in a bath with a 14 year old boy.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

Ah, yes, the movies. Which feature a 35 year old woman in a bath with a 14 year old boy.

He never had a ghost of a chance with her anyways.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

stev posted:

:actually: I think you're mixing up the polyjuice subplot in the second book (where they transform into students of the same gender to get into the Slytherin common room) with a (IIRC) brief joke in one of the later books where someone tries to sneak into the girl's bedroom/bathroom using magic.

not so brief an entire major character and plot beat in one of the books

Tesseraction posted:

Otoh I just imagine she'd write a story about a Muslim wizard called Muhammed Allahuackbar using a polyjuice potion to turn into a woman to do sex crimes like in her unhinged thriller.

she did write about a woman with 'too large hands' and 'badly done bright make up' transforming herself with magic to spy on children in bathrooms

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rumda posted:

not so brief an entire major character and plot beat in one of the books

Ah fair enough. There's so much poo poo that goes on in those monstrocities.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
I see we're officially at the "too many people are testing positive, clearly the problem is we're testing too many people" phase of the Omicron non-response:

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1478711868692832263?s=20

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

My feed today will consist of a small tin of sardines, gherkins, nuts & dried fruit

You have some weird twitter subscriptions

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I see we're officially at the "too many people are testing positive, clearly the problem is we're testing too many people" phase of the Omicron non-response:

At least in Ireland they were shamefaced enough to say that this only applied to under-40s (iirc). But this is just "welp, we give up"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

keep punching joe posted:

Reminder that there was a whole book in the Harry Potter series about changing gender via magic in order to get into the girls toilets.

Is this where the terf obsession with men dressing as women to get in the women's toilets comes from?

The very definition of a first world problem. ;)

My feed today will consist of a small tin of sardines, gherkins, nuts & dried fruit (not a diet, just can't be arsed cooking today).

I'm getting my oats today. Slathered in Elmlea Double Light*. Felt I needed some roughage after rather a lot of icecream in the past couple of weeks.

*and discover that there are people who thought Elmlea was actual cream not fake cream! No wonder we got brexit / tories.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Another way to combat covid is of course free tennis lessons.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Any thread recommendations for streaming services? I've never subscribed to one before, thought about Netflix but there's so many flippin options nowadays and I'm definitely not doing more than one.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You have some weird twitter subscriptions

Never had an account, twitter is filtered through SA like a good goon should. :)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Deketh posted:

Any thread recommendations for streaming services? I've never subscribed to one before, thought about Netflix but there's so many flippin options nowadays and I'm definitely not doing more than one.

There's a whole bunch now. Netflix is probably the best generalist, but if you post what you like to watch you might get a different recommendation. NowTV is surprisingly good for some stuff.

E: also I think you get amazon free if you have Prime shipping? Makes sense for a lot of people and it's a decent service

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

E: also I think you get amazon free if you have Prime shipping? Makes sense for a lot of people and it's a decent service

You get Amazon Prime Video free as part of a Prime membership, yes. If you watch Twitch you also get a free subscription to the streamer of your choice each month. The two combined are easily worth the money even if you never shop on Amazon.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Deketh posted:

Depending what you like, get Roku instead. One off payment of about £30 for the gadget. Another £30 (or less) for an hdmi switch if you have a less than very smart tv so you can change gadgets from satellite to roku and 1 other thingy by remote instead of having to keep getting up and switching connections about manually.

Also has an app in it that can stream media from your computer (and maybe phone but I've never tried that) without a wire so long as both on the same network.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

There's a whole bunch now. Netflix is probably the best generalist, but if you post what you like to watch you might get a different recommendation. NowTV is surprisingly good for some stuff.

My favourite series in the past have been things like The Sopranos, The Wire, The Expanse, BSG, stuff like that. Never been mad on UK shows outside of a few exceptions. I wanted to check out The Witcher and the Wheel of Time but they're on different providers, argh.
Thought about prime but the delivery would probably encourage me to buy more poo poo from Amazon.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Depending what you like, get Roku instead. One off payment of about £30 for the gadget. Another £30 (or less) for an hdmi switch if you have a less than very smart tv so you can change gadgets from satellite to roku and 1 other thingy by remote instead of having to keep getting up and switching connections about manually.

Also has an app in it that can stream media from your computer (and maybe phone but I've never tried that) without a wire so long as both on the same network.

I'm either old or stupid cos that sounds way too complicated for me. Ha, thank you though :)

Sounds like Netflix might be the simplest and best option for me then, thanks guys

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
surely with a roku you still need to pay for all the actual content?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Based on the things you mentioned I'd probably go for prime video or else NowTV

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Based on the things you mentioned I'd probably go for prime video or else NowTV

Oh really? Alright, thanks. I'll have to take a closer look at the catalogues

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
My favourite forgotten JK Rowling bit is when she went against boycotts against Israel because "Harry Potter wouldn't support BDS"

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Deketh posted:

Oh really? Alright, thanks. I'll have to take a closer look at the catalogues

You can take a look at JustWatch and put in a few things you might like to see and see where they're streaming.

Plus all of these have trials or single monthly subs, so you can switch around.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Deketh posted:

The good thing about the streaming services is they tend to operate on monthly contracts so you can switch at will.

Disney+ if you want Marvel, Starwars, Pixar content or the Disney back-catalogue.
NowTV if you want HBO or all the movies locked up by Sky's long-term contract with the traditional studios.

https://www.justwatch.com/uk is a great service for finding which service(s) have movies or tv series. The number of services has exploded (quite a few piggy back off Amazon but as a seperate subscription; eg BFI's movie service)

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

The good thing about the streaming services is they tend to operate on monthly contracts so you can switch at will.

Disney+ if you want Marvel, Starwars, Pixar content or the Disney back-catalogue.
NowTV if you want HBO or all the movies locked up by Sky's long-term contract with the traditional studios.

https://www.justwatch.com/uk is a great service for finding which service(s) have movies or tv series. The number of services has exploded (quite a few piggy back off Amazon but as a seperate subscription; eg BFI's movie service)

Red Oktober posted:

You can take a look at JustWatch and put in a few things you might like to see and see where they're streaming.

Ooohh that's very helpful, cheers!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Red Oktober posted:

Yeah Justwatch is a lifesaver now that every media company on the planet has its own service.

Netflix is a good all-rounder and has a massive back catalogue of great shows they've made (and loads of films but only a handful are any good). Prime doesn't really have loads to offer that you can't get elsewhere although they'll have the LOTR prequel this year if you're into that, as well as the recent Expanse series'.

Disney+ also has a surprisingly big catalogue now that they've integrated all of 20th Century Fox's stuff into the UK service, and is essential if you care about any of the Marvel or Star Wars shite.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Prime Video is a nice extra add-on for Prime itself but honestly it's a bit poo poo that half the stuff on there isn't actually included in your Prime subscription and you have to buy or rent it still anyway. Such as a whole ton of Christmas films mysteriously not being free anymore when we wanted to watch some over Xmas a month ago.

It also has poo poo for content organisation/categorisation.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Well it won't change the amount of cases at least (they already account for followup and repeated positives) and really there's not actually much reason to do a PCR after a positive LFT - the LFT is much less sensitive than a PCR test and the false-positive rate for LFTs is low enough (and the consequences of a false-positive so low) that it is gilding the lily a bit. Also you really don't want someone who has a 99.9% chance of being infected and contagious leaving the house, especially to go mix with people at a test centre who have a much lower chance of being positive (close contacts of cases and people who are about to travel or go into hospital).

Now none of this is the reason they're *actually* doing this, the actual reason is PCRs are expensive and the current infection rate so high that they're having to dip into the most expensive options to keep the capacity up, but the only bad thing about this policy from a public health point of view is reducing the sample size for genomic surveillance.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Deketh posted:

My favourite series in the past have been things like The Sopranos, The Wire, The Expanse, BSG, stuff like that. Never been mad on UK shows outside of a few exceptions. I wanted to check out The Witcher and the Wheel of Time but they're on different providers, argh.
Thought about prime but the delivery would probably encourage me to buy more poo poo from Amazon.

I'm either old or stupid cos that sounds way too complicated for me. Ha, thank you though :)

Sounds like Netflix might be the simplest and best option for me then, thanks guys

As an outside option can I also suggest All4. It's Channel 4's streaming service. There are tiers to it but the free tier doesn't have that many ads and you do get quite a number of Box Sets (not just for Channel 4 programs. They have a number of good shows from the US/Canada/Auzzie Land.)

Try that along with your choice of Netflix, Prime Video, Disney Plus or Now. Try one for a few months and you can cancel or continue.

With Now there is a separate package for TV programs (Entertainment) and films (Movie.) But they normally let you do a reduced rate for the first few months (if you buy a Now TV stick they often give you two months of one of their packages.) And if you cancel near the end of your subscription they let you sign back at a reduced price. As far as I can tell, there is no limit to the amount of time you can do this.

Myself I use Prime Video (since it comes free with my home Internet package.) Disney Plus and Netflix but that's shared with the other people in the house. I used Now for a few months before dropping it. And I dip in and out of All4, especially since they put up this season of The Good Fight.
Personally look at all four services and see what you want. But also go with All4 since it free.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 5, 2022

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Justwatch is useful for finding that some movie or tv series isn't easily available in the UK but is free on some ad-supported american service that works via a VPN...

Amazon Prime is terrible for being able to quickly carry on the next episode of the series you watvhed yesterday. Either it decides not to put the video link on the home page, it links to something I gave up watching six months ago, or it decides to link to series 2 when I'm watching series 4.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

As an outside option can I also suggest All4. It's Channel 4's streaming service. There are tiers to it but the free tier doesn't have that many ads and you do get quite a number of Box Sets (not just for Channel 4 programs. They have a number of good shows from the US/Canada/Auzzie Land.)

Try that along with your choice of Netflix, Prime Video, Disney Plus or Now. Try one for a few months and you can cancel or continue.

With Now there is a separate package for TV programs (Entertainment) and films (Movie.) But they normally let you do a reduced rate for the first few months (if you buy a Now TV stick they often give you two months of one of their packages.) And if you cancel near the end of your subscription they let you sign back at a reduced price. As far as I can tell, there is no limit to the amount of time you can do this.

Myself I use Prime Video (since it comes free with my home Internet package.) Disney Plus and Netflix but that's shared with the other people in the house. I used Now for a few months before dropping it. And I dip in and out of All4, especially since they put up this season of The Good Fight.
Personally look at all four services and see what you want. But also go with All4 since it free.

Awesome, thanks. I'll check out All4 too

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah the best way to think about streaming services is in month blocks. "This month I will subscribe to x service and watch y series". It's just a couple of clicks to activate and deactivate them. Where it ads up is if you have multiple on the go and aren't watching them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Justwatch is useful for finding that some movie or tv series isn't easily available in the UK but is free on some ad-supported american service that works via a VPN...

Amazon Prime is terrible for being able to quickly carry on the next episode of the series you watvhed yesterday. Either it decides not to put the video link on the home page, it links to something I gave up watching six months ago, or it decides to link to series 2 when I'm watching series 4.

The worst thing about Prime is that it treats every season of a show as a separate show. So you can't put a whole show on your watch list, you have to tell it you want to watch each individual season. For a service devised by Amazon of all companies it's incredibly poorly designed and user unfriendly.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The best way to watch Amazon Prime series is through an Apple TV and Up Next, honestly.

Best streaming box around tbh, and the 4's aren't insanely priced second hand.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Jippa posted:

Yeah the best way to think about streaming services is in month blocks. "This month I will subscribe to x service and watch y series". It's just a couple of clicks to activate and deactivate them. Where it ads up is if you have multiple on the go and aren't watching them.

This makes a lot of sense as an approach, as long as none of them are sneaky with the cancelling. I'll give Netflix a go first for the witcher and whatever else

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Jippa posted:

Disney+ is trying to go against that by not dropping whole series at once but doing weekly episodes.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Worth mentioning if you have prime, you can also read books free via Kindle Unlimited. Authors get compensated from a weird streaming-type model where Amazon throw a huge pot to the authors that gets distributed based on the anount of page reads. You get free books, and some of them are surprisingly recent.

Of all the poo poo Amazon are evil over, their self publishing side is a really, really good deal for authors compared to the traditional markets, and for once it doesn't seem to be union-busting (yet).

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I refuse to believe there's any streaming service on the planet as badly designed as All4. Want to watch a Come Dine With Me from 2016? Well, here's all the episodes. Just scroll down to the one you want. It's only about 500 pages. No, you can't search. No, we won't remember your last episode. gently caress you.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

stev posted:

For a service devised by Amazon of all companies it's incredibly poorly designed and user unfriendly.

my experiences of browsing amazon for anything (as opposed to knowing precisely what you need ahead of time) have been uniformly poo poo, i think we're past the point of "we're so big and unstoppable we don't actually have to care about being usable" by now

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Have you ever tried to use iPlayer? It's much worse.

E: It's a toss-up between the UKTV Play app and ITV Player for the actual worst. UKTV Play for abysmal useability and ITV Player for absolute dogshit content, though that's more the channel's fault than the app.

E2: Though at least all 3 are free, and UKTV has Dave Gorman.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I remember waiting for a series to come on All4, but as it wasn't on there it saved the search and marked it as unavailable, and it stayed that way even when the series became available, so I had to manually type it in every loving time.