Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

The first table was about active cases - yours is about hospitalizations. They are not the same thing, so I’m not sure why you posted it.

Ah poo poo, here have an excellent article from The Tyee which shows how much the BC Government is loving up all the data: The Case of BC’s Missing COVID-19 Data

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

PT6A posted:

I just get the feeling that it can't possibly be that simple, because if it were we'd be vaccinating everyone by force at this point. I dunno, maybe I'm a pessimist or my risk toleration is out of whack.

This isn't pessimism. Thinking that there any scenario where the government would forcibly vaccinate people is wide-eyed optimism or naivete that anything they do is to prevent deaths instead of promote them, when all indications are the opposite.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Speaking of loving up data.

Cases in the last 7 days

BC: 22,235
AB: 8,170
SK: 1,815

Deaths in the last 7 days

BC: 9
AB: 11
SK: 10

Saskatchewan has a higher vax rate than Alberta, 78.08% to 77.06% and not miles off of BC at 82.86%

It kind of seems like they're cooking the books.

Even Scott Moe and his Health Minister got exposed at their news conference on Thursday. Their spokesperson used the specific language that they took rapid tests and are self monitoring for symptoms, not that they tested negative.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/premier-health-minister-monitoring-symptoms-health-symptoms-1.6303947

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

ChickenDoodle posted:

The first table was about active cases - yours is about hospitalizations. They are not the same thing, so I’m not sure why you posted it.

I posted it to show that if you're well vaccinated then its emerging that things haven't gotten much more dangerous for you by one measure.

Maybe to reassure someone out there who's hyperventilating in front of their computer screen after seeing that first chart.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Another Bill posted:

Maybe to reassure someone out there who's hyperventilating in front of their computer screen after seeing that first chart.

I just don't feel alive unless I'm experiencing a panic attack over a graph or chart. I have a phobia of big numbers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Another Bill posted:

I posted it to show that if you're well vaccinated then its emerging that things haven't gotten much more dangerous for you by one measure.

Considering all my friends are doom scrolling like crazy and my one buddy is convinced he is going to die because he has a headache I appreciate this.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

KJJ is amazing and I love him. It was leaking last night this might happen and I can’t believe it was true.

https://twitter.com/CBCMeg/status/1478482628349087746

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Powershift posted:

Cases in the last 7 days

Saskatchewan has a higher vax rate than Alberta, 78.08% to 77.06% and not miles off of BC at 82.86%

There's a significant delay between a positive test result and a death. So a single day's snapshot of numbers can't really tell you much.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

StoicRomance posted:

KJJ is amazing and I love him. It was leaking last night this might happen and I can’t believe it was true.

I wouldn't go far as saying I love a vehement racist, but KJJ is a loving lunatic and watching him fumble through reality has been hillarious.

Shine on you crazy bigoted diamond.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

ChickenDoodle posted:

Ah poo poo, here have an excellent article from The Tyee which shows how much the BC Government is loving up all the data: The Case of BC’s Missing COVID-19 Data

So I read that article, and it mostly seems to have been a journalist dealing with frustrations with FOIs and the fragmentation of health information in our system of half a dozen separate health authorities.

Could you articulate what the government are "loving up" in "all the data"?

I mean, I suppose you could argue that they were in the wrong for not cutting services across the board to funnel billions into integrating the health information across the health authorities sooner? I don't know that I would choose to make that argument, though.

Mr. Mercury posted:

Yeah DBH can... I dunno, do something other than what she's currently doing

Still can't believe that Ontario is doing more than BC, or that Alberta has better data, etc

And do you have a source for Alberta having better COVID data than BC? Last I checked BC was still doing double the testing Alberta was, which suggests that at least by one measure we have better data.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Powershift posted:

Cases in the last 7 days

Even Scott Moe and his Health Minister got exposed at their news conference on Thursday. Their spokesperson used the specific language that they took rapid tests and are self monitoring for symptoms, not that they tested negative.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/premier-health-minister-monitoring-symptoms-health-symptoms-1.6303947

I mean BC was one of the ground zero locations for Omicron - I'm sure the BC numbers are actually several times that, I'm actually starting to hear of cases among my coworkers and people I know which I never did in previous waves. Although no one seems to have got it particularly badly yet, thankfully (everyone is double vaxxed)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If it turns out the entire solution to this pandemic, even the parts where there's some escape, was "get everyone vaccinated" then my hatred of the willfully unvaxxed shall increase tenfold.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Another Bill posted:

It doesn't show that though, because it's old data

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So I read that article, and it mostly seems to have been a journalist dealing with frustrations with FOIs and the fragmentation of health information in our system of half a dozen separate health authorities.

Could you articulate what the government are "loving up" in "all the data"?

I mean, I suppose you could argue that they were in the wrong for not cutting services across the board to funnel billions into integrating the health information across the health authorities sooner? I don't know that I would choose to make that argument, though.

And do you have a source for Alberta having better COVID data than BC? Last I checked BC was still doing double the testing Alberta was, which suggests that at least by one measure we have better data.

Either they're collecting data necessary to respond to the changing landscape of outbreak in the province and not reporting much of it, or they're just not. Everything I read states the former, but if that's true: yikesaroo!

I mean just compare the dashboards if you've got time! There's a lot to sift through, so just skip to the Twitter thread at the bottom if you want the tl;Dr. It's all tiring and nobody needs to read that much. WRT the testing: it's bad!

Goofus BC, Gallant Alberta. At first it doesn't look too different, but there's more to it than that. Even information requests are straight up not being answered in a manner that could be considered "passable." Some consider it to be the worst in Canada... however accurate or inaccurate that is. For a while they deliberately counted hospitalizations differently than the rest of the country. They also have gone back and forth on LTC facility reporting. Geo reporting has also wwaaaaaaayyyyyy shittier than most provinces.

Local journo McElroy has also been hammering the BC CDC over it the entire pandemic, as he's been shut out multiple times asking for data at least on par with Alberta (thread):
https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1335353581243789312

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 5, 2022

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The Alberta 0-10 age group has a similar amount of new hospitalizations and ICU admittance as the 50 and up age groups. Let's see when society notices.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

So I guess BC has just gone full on "we aren't doing anything and it's up to the public to figure this out" now. I'm beginning to think this continent is fundamentally hosed and nothing can bring it back from the brink. Trying for minimal disruptions while informing businesses to prepare for a third of their workforce to get sick at any given time. Surely this will stop the medical system and other essential infrastructure from collapsing. I've been reasonably chill during this pandemic but for some reason this poo poo is making me apoplectic now.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Faffel posted:

So I guess BC has just gone full on "we aren't doing anything and it's up to the public to figure this out" now. I'm beginning to think this continent is fundamentally hosed and nothing can bring it back from the brink. Trying for minimal disruptions while informing businesses to prepare for a third of their workforce to get sick at any given time. Surely this will stop the medical system and other essential infrastructure from collapsing. I've been reasonably chill during this pandemic but for some reason this poo poo is making me apoplectic now.

Main issue in BC is staffing levels. Last shift I worked with the floor(medical unit) fully staffed was Dec. 25th when everyone makes 2.5 times rate/pay. Even Jan. 1st with everyone making double we where short 2.

Island health where I work, we have 40 COVID patients, and a whopping 12 in ICU areas, all unvaxxed or 1 dose. That's nothing. What the news isn't telling you is the staff/PT ratio is dog poo poo, instead of 4-5 patients, you get 8-10. Last shift my wife did in emergency,(Jan 2nd), she had 6 nurses to work with for 90~ patients in that department. Finally BC and probably other places, the number one emergency presented is not COVID, it's mental health, and drug overdoses. But people can't catch a mental health breakdown from a restaurant or gym that so it's not in the media. Many people work thankless jobs here, but the security working within hospitals. God drat do they have it rough.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Oof yeah, I can't even imagine :sigh:

Best of luck to you all, please post in the thread if there's something that could be done/an initiative you know of that helps any

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Joink posted:

Main issue in BC is staffing levels. Last shift I worked with the floor(medical unit) fully staffed was Dec. 25th when everyone makes 2.5 times rate/pay. Even Jan. 1st with everyone making double we where short 2.

Island health where I work, we have 40 COVID patients, and a whopping 12 in ICU areas, all unvaxxed or 1 dose. That's nothing. What the news isn't telling you is the staff/PT ratio is dog poo poo, instead of 4-5 patients, you get 8-10. Last shift my wife did in emergency,(Jan 2nd), she had 6 nurses to work with for 90~ patients in that department. Finally BC and probably other places, the number one emergency presented is not COVID, it's mental health, and drug overdoses. But people can't catch a mental health breakdown from a restaurant or gym that so it's not in the media. Many people work thankless jobs here, but the security working within hospitals. God drat do they have it rough.

Yeah this is what I meant by causing the medical system serious issues. Not from covid patients, but from an already significantly short-staffed system being ready to have a large chunk of its workforce out sick at any given moment.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Joink posted:

This is exactly my nurse friend's experience (also island health)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mr. Mercury posted:

Either they're collecting data necessary to respond to the changing landscape of outbreak in the province and not reporting much of it, or they're just not. Everything I read states the former,

This is a weird binarization of the issue. How much data is "necessary"? It sure would be great to be like the PRC and deploy a literal army of contact tracers, test collectors and testing labs to any city facing an outbreak, but I don't know if that's at all politically feasible in Canada. And if it were, it would certainly require massive support from the federal government.

quote:

but if that's true: yikesaroo!

The info is in the dashboards -- last week it was true, BC maxed out at 20K tests/day while Alberta was only doing around 10K, but this week (and before) it seems more even?

quote:

I mean just compare the dashboards if you've got time! There's a lot to sift through, so just skip to the Twitter thread at the bottom if you want the tl;Dr. It's all tiring and nobody needs to read that much. WRT the testing: it's bad!

Goofus BC, Gallant Alberta. At first it doesn't look too different, but there's more to it than that.

quote:

Geo reporting has also wwaaaaaaayyyyyy shittier than most provinces.

Local journo McElroy has also been hammering the BC CDC over it the entire pandemic, as he's been shut out multiple times asking for data at least on par with Alberta (thread):
https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1335353581243789312

I'm grouping the above together because they seem to be about the same thing. So the issue is not having the city-level data? It'd be nice to have for sure, but I can't say it would change what precautions I'd have taken. And they definitely have that data in some form, and have acted on it. When they were rolling out vaccines, they prioritised neighbourhoods with higher case counts. This just doesn't seem like something to get furious about.

quote:

Even information requests are straight up not being answered in a manner that could be considered "passable."

That's the same article ChickenDoodle posted above, and again it mostly seems to be complaining about the FOI process, which, as the article admits, is slowed up mostly because the number of FOI requests has skyrocketed while the majority of the bureaucrats who would deal with them are working from home and less efficient at responding. The author does a bit of hand-wringing about why the provincial government doesn't just hire more FOI request-fulfillers in each of their departments, but there is most definitely a balancing act between that and people screeching about government waste and inefficiency. And in her particular case, it sounds like she got data, but was trying to request further data that either didn't exist or was likely protected for privacy reasons (e.g. contact tracing). She isn't super clear about what was actually missing, and she definitely wasn't "straight up not answered".

But also, FOI request handling is a different issue from how well the Province is handling COVID data.

quote:

Some consider it to be the worst in Canada... however accurate or inaccurate that is.

I think I made a post earlier in this thread about Jens Von Bergmann. You know, I broadly agree with a lot of the causes he supports, but he's a walking case study in Dunning-Kruger, and spouts his vitriolic opinion at anyone who'll listen. The local press seems to have fallen into quoting him as an authority on anything and everything involving data. But please never, ever, take Jens' opinion to be that of an expert, or even worthy of taking seriously.

quote:

For a while they deliberately counted hospitalizations differently than the rest of the country.

That's not even what that article says. They counted a particular number -- people in ICU beds with active cases, and were open about that being what they were reporting. And then they eventually also started reporting numbers of people in ICU beds with post-COVID complications, like Manitoba was doing? I still don't see this as a huge gently caress-up or anything to get especially angry about.

quote:

They also have gone back and forth on LTC facility reporting.

That article just says they had a month-long lapse in reporting during a massive wave of LTC COVID because they didn't have the staff to gather and report the numbers. To which you might say "they should have just hired more epidemiologists", and to which I might reply "how many epidemiologists do you think were available for hire and already working flat-out on COVID in late 2020?"

Like, I would be really happy if they had put more money into expanding testing and contact tracing capacity, but I'm still not seeing how they were "loving up all the data".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

apatheticman posted:

The Alberta 0-10 age group has a similar amount of new hospitalizations and ICU admittance as the 50 and up age groups. Let's see when society notices.

I'd not hold my breath, if I were you. They're all terrible bastards, after all.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

Racist chumped by Mexicans re: skill at entering America illegally. I hope he’s sad!

https://twitter.com/itsdeanblundell/status/1478570105126756354?s=21

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/covid-19-update-b-c-hospitalizations-surge-35-per-cent-from-friday-to-tuesday-1.5727459

quote:

The number of COVID-19 patients in B.C. hospitals has surged 35 per cent over the last four days, the government revealed in the first full pandemic update since New Year's Eve.

There are now 298 hospitalized COVID-19 patients across the province, including 86 who are in intensive care, the Ministry of Health announced Tuesday.

That's up from 220 hospitalizations on Friday, with 73 patients in intensive care.

I've been monitoring stats for Australia because it seemed like they were hit with Omicron before us so it might give a clue to how things might proceed here. This doesn't bode well.

Comparing the National stats for cases/ICU/Ventilator is interesting

I am extremely leery on how this whole thing is going to pan out. I know there's delays between positive test results, hospitalization, and deaths and I kinda feel like I'm watching a metaphorical car crash in slow motion.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

StoicRomance posted:

Racist chumped by Mexicans re: skill at entering America illegally. I hope he’s sad!

https://twitter.com/itsdeanblundell/status/1478570105126756354?s=21

It gets even better.

https://twitter.com/ARCCollective/status/1478555949988081665

TL,DR is he was trying to get over the border to claim political asylum, April LaJune (SovCit scammer, among others) was on her way to pick him up, season-related hilarity ensues. Basically he tried trekking without supplies, LaJune called in the authorities to find him. He's in US custody and frostbitten. She's probably in as much trouble as Kay JayJay: Helping a fugitive from the law cross the border into the States? That's at least conspiracy to commit a crime right there. It's been pointed out that she's a supporter of the 3%ers, which could get her in trouble up here since they were declared a terrorist group last summer. All in all, a satisfying early January.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This is a weird binarization of the issue. How much data is "necessary"? It sure would be great to be like the PRC and deploy a literal army of contact tracers, test collectors and testing labs to any city facing an outbreak, but I don't know if that's at all politically feasible in Canada. And if it were, it would certainly require massive support from the federal government.

The info is in the dashboards -- last week it was true, BC maxed out at 20K tests/day while Alberta was only doing around 10K, but this week (and before) it seems more even?

Ah, okay. Ignoring after this because you're starting from a conclusion that what's getting collected/reported is sufficient and we are literally never going to see eye to eye on this one. I've had to watch what bad management of pandemic response does to the people working it firsthand, and while it's better than what's going on in the states it's in no way "good," or should be immune from criticism. When we're still having issues with it being difficult for nurses wear proper PPE in tasks like testing/vaccinating—that alone is enough for a public health officer to come under scrutiny. It doesn't take a PRC like effort to match, say, Quebec or Ontario, and that's all that needs to get said.

quote:

I'm grouping the above together because they seem to be about the same thing. So the issue is not having the city-level data? It'd be nice to have for sure, but I can't say it would change what precautions I'd have taken. And they definitely have that data in some form, and have acted on it. When they were rolling out vaccines, they prioritised neighbourhoods with higher case counts. This just doesn't seem like something to get furious about.
Not having data available to the public granular enough to instruct someone "hey maybe chill out for a while" means people have less information to know when they maybe shouldn't do a thing (or when it's likely going to be fine).

quote:

That's the same article ChickenDoodle posted above, and again it mostly seems to be complaining about the FOI process, which, as the article admits, is slowed up mostly because the number of FOI requests has skyrocketed while the majority of the bureaucrats who would deal with them are working from home and less efficient at responding. The author does a bit of hand-wringing about why the provincial government doesn't just hire more FOI request-fulfillers in each of their departments, but there is most definitely a balancing act between that and people screeching about government waste and inefficiency. And in her particular case, it sounds like she got data, but was trying to request further data that either didn't exist or was likely protected for privacy reasons (e.g. contact tracing). She isn't super clear about what was actually missing, and she definitely wasn't "straight up not answered".

But also, FOI request handling is a different issue from how well the Province is handling COVID data.

The end result is the same. It does not matter. This one person is not the only outlet making requests to fill gaps in reporting. If the data must come through that vehicle, it is always going to take a fair amount of time, and that lies at the the province's feet. It could be avoided entirely by transparent reporting from the start, and those with the power to do this know this.

quote:

I think I made a post earlier in this thread about Jens Von Bergmann. You know, I broadly agree with a lot of the causes he supports, but he's a walking case study in Dunning-Kruger, and spouts his vitriolic opinion at anyone who'll listen. The local press seems to have fallen into quoting him as an authority on anything and everything involving data. But please never, ever, take Jens' opinion to be that of an expert, or even worthy of taking seriously.
Ok. I'll take your word for it, looking for more sources can't make things worse anyhow

quote:

That's not even what that article says. They counted a particular number -- people in ICU beds with active cases, and were open about that being what they were reporting. And then they eventually also started reporting numbers of people in ICU beds with post-COVID complications, like Manitoba was doing? I still don't see this as a huge gently caress-up or anything to get especially angry about.
They were underreporting the people in the ICU due to COVID. It is not difficult to understand why that is a dumb thing. Also, no, it took months of hounding from journos to get that discrepancy explained/the reporting to change. There was a stretch where JMcE went on a tear nearly every week about it.

quote:

That article just says they had a month-long lapse in reporting during a massive wave of LTC COVID because they didn't have the staff to gather and report the numbers. To which you might say "they should have just hired more epidemiologists", and to which I might reply "how many epidemiologists do you think were available for hire and already working flat-out on COVID in late 2020?"
No, I say they got an incomplete dataset—a gap that pops up due to a lack of infrastructure (in this case, an IT system). Don't argue with a straw man. I never said those things in quotes. Nor would I.

quote:

Like, I would be really happy if they had put more money into expanding testing and contact tracing capacity, but I'm still not seeing how they were "loving up all the data".
The reporting. If we assume they collected the same things as other provinces, they reported less of what they had, leading to the FOI thing, leading to less transparency of what our situation is in a pandemic that moves faster than month-to-month intervals. In general, many lapses can be forgiven because "holy poo poo it's a pandemic it's impossible to keep up," but choosing not to be as up-front with information as other provinces can lead people to make risk-based assessments based on incomplete information. And that's a decision the people releasing the data available to the public are responsible for.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

flashy_mcflash posted:

This isn't pessimism. Thinking that there any scenario where the government would forcibly vaccinate people is wide-eyed optimism or naivete that anything they do is to prevent deaths instead of promote them, when all indications are the opposite.

Let's not be silly, there is no circumstance where the government could literally physically force a needle into someone's arm and I would definitely not want them to even try. That's not optimistic, that's authoritarian.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Fidelitious posted:

Let's not be silly, there is no circumstance where the government could literally physically force a needle into someone's arm and I would definitely not want them to even try. That's not optimistic, that's authoritarian.

Remember when those kids died from meningitis in the 90s (or was it the late 80s?), and the province had us all show up for needle parade in schools to get vaccinated, and nobody said fuckall? We just... went, and did it, because we wanted to not die?

Those were good times.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i definitely remember classmates that didnt get that because their parents refused

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
At what point do we start denying health care to people who willingly refuse to get vaccinated? I don't want any more people losing family members to treatable diseases because some goober from Winkler refuses to listen to reason.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I was wondering about that - do they still vaccine days at public schools?

I remember getting all kinds of shots, how is this any different? I guess the answer is 'it isn't' and etc.

The nurse in one of the school vaccine days gave me a dalmation plush to count how many spots were on it while she gave the needle. But I didn't need to count the spots for a distraction, I could handle the needle. I was a big boy.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

EvilJoven posted:

At what point do we start denying health care to people who willingly refuse to get vaccinated? I don't want any more people losing family members to treatable diseases because some goober from Winkler refuses to listen to reason.

honestly just mandate the vacccines at that point.

I'd rather open the pandora's box of "we can force you to get vaccinated during a global pandemic" than "we can deny you healthcare based on your choices".

As a semi-related thing, I was surprised that I was asked for a vaccine passport at the hospital today (coming into the outpatient clinic). I'm sure that doesn't apply for the ER, but still seems like a surprisingly big step for something I didn't hear anything about.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 5, 2022

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Capital Letdown posted:

I was wondering about that - do they still vaccine days at public schools?

I remember getting all kinds of shots, how is this any different? I guess the answer is 'it isn't' and etc.

The nurse in one of the school vaccine days gave me a dalmation plush to count how many spots were on it while she gave the needle. But I didn't need to count the spots for a distraction, I could handle the needle. I was a big boy.

My kid got multiple vaccines at school this year in grade 8 yeah.

They were also doing covid vaccines for kids who hadn't got it during the summer.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

enki42 posted:

honestly just mandate the vacccines at that point.

I'd rather open the pandora's box of "we can force you to get vaccinated during a global pandemic" than "we can deny you healthcare based on your choices".

Don't stop providing it, just stop paying for it.

The only free healthcare you're entitled to is your shot. After you've had that, then we can talk about the lifesaving surgery you aren't getting anyway because we're too busy rotoproning some chud moron

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

flakeloaf posted:

Don't stop providing it.

Just stop paying for it.

Same argument IMO, all this dancing around vaccine rules seems pointless when the goal is we just want to make them mandatory. Saying "oh you're totally allowed to not get a vaccine! But you can't work, aren't eligible for our universal healthcare, can't travel, can't go to restaurants, can't go inside a hospital, etc." feels like our strategy is basically the "i'm not touching you" plan.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

And now here comes the AFN with an important announcement about government-mandated health care procedures.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CBC had a story on Macron in France basically telling plague rats to get hosed or "piss off" and to start denying services. I stand with him on that. It's their fault this thing still wreaks havoc.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/rates-bonds/frances-macron-rules-out-new-covid-19-curbs-ahead-wednesday-meeting-2022-01-04/

quote:

"The unvaccinated, I really want to piss them off. And so, we're going to continue doing so, until the end. That's the strategy," Macron told Le Parisien newspaper in an interview published late on Tuesday.

France last year put in place a health pass that prevents people without a PCR test or proof of vaccination to enter restaurants, cafes and other venues. The government wants to turn it into a vaccine passport that means only the vaccinated can have a health pass.

"I won't send (the unvaccinated) to prison, I won't vaccinate by force. So we need to tell them, from Jan. 15, you won't be able to go to the restaurant anymore, you won't be able to down one, won't be able to have a coffee, go to the theatre, the cinema..."

The expression "emmerder", from "merde" (poo poo), that can also be translated as "to get on their nerves", is considered "very informal" by French dictionary Larousse and prompted immediate criticism by rivals on social media.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

quote:

The expression "emmerder", from "merde" (poo poo), that can also be translated as "to get on their nerves", is considered "very informal" by French dictionary Larousse and prompted immediate criticism by rivals on social media.

haha "you didn't use formal enough language when telling us to gently caress off! *sob*"

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I like 'en-merde-ant' as translation for 'pissing me off'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Vintersorg posted:

CBC had a story on Macron in France basically telling plague rats to get hosed or "piss off" and to start denying services. I stand with him on that. It's their fault this thing still wreaks havoc.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/rates-bonds/frances-macron-rules-out-new-covid-19-curbs-ahead-wednesday-meeting-2022-01-04/

You should have seen /r/Canada meltdown about EI being denied if you get fired for not complying with your jobs vaccine mandates. I feel like that move is already further than anything Macron would do.

Edit: 4700 comments lol https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comments/rt5hq3/unvaccinated_workers_who_lose_jobs_ineligible_for/