Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Steam offers so much to the developments in terms of features and ready-made infrastructure that EGS' lower cut is still only worth it for the biggest publishers.

Well EOS is gaining traction, there's a steadily increasing number of Steam releases which use it instead of Steamworks

Devs probably like it because it's store-agnostic so they can have one backend that works across Steam/EGS/GOG/Itch/whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Has anyone tried out Library of ruina?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Foul Fowl posted:

not only is it a game . . . it's the game

YOU ARE A FLESH AUTOMATON ANIMATED BY NEUROTRANSMITTERS

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GreatGreen posted:

Well, they're doing half that.

Undercutting Steam is necessary to get publishers onboard, but a decent UI and store / library is absolutely necessary for players to hop on as well, and Epic's store / library functionality is poo poo.

EGS has fortnite and fortnite is for literal babies and they don't seem to have a problem navigating the storefront :shrug:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I can't find any hard data from Epic themselves but I wouldn't be shocked if most of the people playing Fortnite were not doing so through EGS, but rather consoles.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

explosivo posted:

EGS has fortnite and fortnite is for literal babies and they don't seem to have a problem navigating the storefront :shrug:

It's fine when you have a couple of games, but it could really use some better filtering options for anyone with a bigger library.

Also, you can't back up/restore games as easily as on Steam. The official instructions are hacky, and don't work for a lot of people (didn't for me). With Steam you just point it towards your old directory and everything just works.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

I can't find any hard data from Epic themselves but I wouldn't be shocked if most of the people playing Fortnite were not doing so through EGS, but rather consoles.

There's relative revenue numbers from the Apple lawsuit, if you assume that console and PC players are roughly as likely to spend money then it works as an approximation of relative player count

PS4: 46.8%
Xbox One: 27.5%
Android, Switch, PC: 18.7%
iOS: 7%

So yeah most Fortnite players are probably on PS or Xbox

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rinkles posted:

It's fine when you have a couple of games, but it could really use some better filtering options for anyone with a bigger library.

Also, you can't back up/restore games as easily as on Steam. The official instructions are hacky, and don't work for a lot of people (didn't for me). With Steam you just point it towards your old directory and everything just works.

Totally, there's a lot that it can improve on. It's hilarious that it took them this long to add a shopping cart since that kinda became the meme so I don't have much hope that it'll get any better anytime soon. I'll buy on steam primarily always because I want everything in the same library but some of the EGS deals are too good to pass up and the launcher/library is fine these days so whatever. But hey Hitman 3 is coming to steam soon anyway so everybody can be happy :toot:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's just confusing how they're taking so long to flesh out the client, when Unreal Engine is so much more complex and rolls out new features constantly

They have the engineering talent and organization to speedrun their way to a nice client if Unreal is any indication, but it's just not being prioritized for some reason

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

GreatGreen posted:

By the way, for anybody interested in this kind of thing, I just picked up Horizon Zero Dawn and after the intro, I was presented with a EULA from Sony about data collection. I could either allow them to collect "limited data" or "limited and extended data."

"Limited" data included a whole bunch of user telemetry, system information including IP address, and recently visited websites. No way to opt out. Fuuuuck that.

Requested a refund and uninstalled immediately so hopefully that's the end of that. Don't care how good that game may or may not be.

Wait, whaaat? gently caress all this whining about Epic, I want to know more about this.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

repiv posted:

It's just confusing how they're taking so long to flesh out the client, when Unreal Engine is so much more complex and rolls out new features constantly

They have the engineering talent and organization to speedrun their way to a nice client if Unreal is any indication, but it's just not being prioritized for some reason

I think they have it on the backburner because they know that having a good store doesn't really matter for their current business model. The vast majority of their playerbase is there to play specific games that they can only get on Epic and they aren't really going to interact with the client much outside of buying and playing those particular games.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

FYI: The Outer Wilds' expansion: Echoes of the Eye, is extraordinarily good, like the base game.

If you like games in the vein of Myst, Riven, The Witness etc, go for it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

MMF Freeway posted:

I think they have it on the backburner because they know that having a good store doesn't really matter for their current business model. The vast majority of their playerbase is there to play specific games that they can only get on Epic and they aren't really going to interact with the client much outside of buying and playing those particular games.

That's unlikely given their still constant free games to fast grow their userbase and vast amount of games getting added (and by now also quite a few so-so games). They want to become an actual competitor.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It’s pretty obvious Epic is making GBS threads money for exclusives to try to maintain relevance. From what I’ve seen their “break-even point” (when they expect EGS to finally turn a profit) has slipped from like 2024 to 2027.

I’m not particularly upset about them or anything, but it’s no secret Sweeney is a moron (Nineteen-Eighty Fortnite? Really?) and watching them slowly crash and burn does give me schadenfreude.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well yeah is obvious the buy hype poo poo to sell isn’t actually an effective tactic which is honestly surprising

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sloppy posted:

Wait, whaaat? gently caress all this whining about Epic, I want to know more about this.

Being charitable, it might be boilerplate for anti-cheat measures? I know HZ:D is single player but these EULAs are usually drafted once for every game in a publishers catalogue

Years ago VAC was found to be scraping the system DNS cache to check whether the user has visited certain domains used for cheat DRM, I assume other ACs do similar things

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

McKracken posted:

Finishing up D:OS 2 with a friend and before the sale ends I'd like to grab our next game - any recommendations?

We specifically prefer co-op that's campaign/narrative, similar to Original Sin or RE5. That's not a deal breaker but I'm not looking for something that's purely multiplayer/pvp.

Also I'm in California and he's in Maryland so need it to be online - know that there's not a ton of games out there that fit that profile but would appreciate any suggestions!

Besides what I've mentioned here are some co-op titles we've already hit:

Broforce
Dying Light
Far Cry 5
Halo MCC
Risk of Rain
Streets of Rogue

Monster Hunter
Wasteland 3
Terraria kindaaaa?

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Protocol7 posted:

Cruelty Squad sure is a game. Interesting enough to keep me hooked, for sure.

It just gets better too. It goes from disgust to interest to wow I love this game.

It’s awkward because people ask what games you’re playing and it puts you in an awkward spot of either lying, or explaining how this sub PS1 graphics piece of poo poo $0.99 steam bin looking game, with bright green ugly rear end textures and awkward controls, is actually the best game you’ve played in recent memory.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cruelty Squad is fascinating because it's not just ugly, it's purposefully made to break every possible rules of art.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's just amazing how you boot it up and just go "what the gently caress," and then once the initial confusion from the general weirdness of the game rubs off, you realize that the actual game part of it is really good too?

And I know there's a bunch of poo poo I haven't even explored yet in these first few levels. So it seems like you're incentivized to go back to earlier levels once you unlock the cool poo poo and explore in more depth. Always love poo poo like that.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

fit em all up in there posted:

Has anyone tried out Library of ruina?

I didn't like the game mechanics, card based game with a lot of RNG elements. Doesn't respect your time at all, there's gacha/stingy booster pack mechanics in how you obtain cards (even though it's a single player game). It's anime as all hell as well. Cool art direction though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

vaginite posted:

It just gets better too. It goes from disgust to interest to wow I love this game.

It’s awkward because people ask what games you’re playing and it puts you in an awkward spot of either lying, or explaining how this sub PS1 graphics piece of poo poo $0.99 steam bin looking game, with bright green ugly rear end textures and awkward controls, is actually the best game you’ve played in recent memory.

i don't find that dilemma awkward at all

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

did anyone else buy cruelty squad, go "wtf", refund it, then inexplicably get drawn to buy it again and play the whole thing

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Civvie 11 described Cruelty Squad as "an extremely elaborate shitpost", but I have the feeling it's more than that.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

repiv posted:

did anyone else buy cruelty squad, go "wtf", refund it, then inexplicably get drawn to buy it again and play the whole thing

yeah almost to a t, i refunded it and an itch developed, an itch that only gorbino's quest for life related games could scratch

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

repiv posted:

Being charitable, it might be boilerplate for anti-cheat measures? I know HZ:D is single player but these EULAs are usually drafted once for every game in a publishers catalogue

Years ago VAC was found to be scraping the system DNS cache to check whether the user has visited certain domains used for cheat DRM, I assume other ACs do similar things

"It's probably okay" isn't a great answer. If a game does something invasive, or anti-consumer, or the studio are bad actors, I say "hell no, I'm going to pirate it." And then I say "wait, where do I pirate games again?" and I don't play it.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

i don't find that dilemma awkward at all

I’ve had good friends think I was loving with them though. Like I was doing a bit to get them to spend $15 on a poo poo game.

Jack Trades posted:

Cruelty Squad is fascinating because it's not just ugly, it's purposefully made to break every possible rules of art.

It’s pretty consistent too, like you can tell the guy who made it wasn’t just throwing random poo poo at the wall it actually fit. I ended up loving the visual style of it by the end of it, especially with how awful the world it’s in is - the art style fit the world perfectly.

I’m bummed I beat it, its one of those experiences you wish you could do over again :(

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Cruelty Squad is my GOTY 2021, no joke. Inscryption is pretty high up there, too. Supraland has also turned out to be a fantastic 3D Metroidvania.

I wish Steam had a better method of tracking what games were finished, what games weren't, etc. I know there are external solutions, but something rudimentary within the client would also be neat.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Blattdorf posted:

Cruelty Squad is my GOTY 2021, no joke. Inscryption is pretty high up there, too. Supraland has also turned out to be a fantastic 3D Metroidvania.

I wish Steam had a better method of tracking what games were finished, what games weren't, etc. I know there are external solutions, but something rudimentary within the client would also be neat.

You could make a category.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's no internal marker for finished games because that is completely subjective.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
yeah it's got tons of unforgettable levels and moments, the ocean liner, idiot party, apartment atrocity, office, basically all the secret and final levels . . . non stop hits

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mescal posted:

"It's probably okay" isn't a great answer. If a game does something invasive, or anti-consumer, or the studio are bad actors, I say "hell no, I'm going to pirate it." And then I say "wait, where do I pirate games again?" and I don't play it.

Yeah Sony should certainly clarify why that language is in the agreement, or if I'm correct that it's there for MP games with anti-cheat then just remove it from the SP titles agreements

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Can anyone point to me exactly where in the EULA of HZD it says they collect what websites you visit? Or better, some proof that the game actually does exactly that? It all seems just like a game of telephone where everyone reports that someone else said they do it.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Cruelty Squad made me laugh a lot too. Greatest hits are the CSIJ Level V Biosuit having the description 40% armor with no downsides, then starting a level with it. And the secret level where you have to de-gentrify an industrialized zone and the handler says normally we don’t help poor people but “money, like love, is blind and based on transactions”

Anyway I’ll strop stroking this game I’m procrastinating some poo poo at work right now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ymgve posted:

Can anyone point to me exactly where in the EULA of HZD it says they collect what websites you visit? Or better, some proof that the game actually does exactly that? It all seems just like a game of telephone where everyone reports that someone else said they do it.

same actually, just remembered something similar happened with days gone (another sony title) where it was reported that the game logged keystrokes and it turned out the source was "some random guy said so in a steam review" and the actual EULA didn't mention anything to do with keystrokes

https://in.ign.com/days-gone/159155/news/days-gone-pc-data-collection-policy-is-a-privacy-nightmare

https://imgur.com/a/ugJtn1t

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

McKracken posted:

Finishing up D:OS 2 with a friend and before the sale ends I'd like to grab our next game - any recommendations?

We specifically prefer co-op that's campaign/narrative, similar to Original Sin or RE5. That's not a deal breaker but I'm not looking for something that's purely multiplayer/pvp.

Also I'm in California and he's in Maryland so need it to be online - know that there's not a ton of games out there that fit that profile but would appreciate any suggestions!

Besides what I've mentioned here are some co-op titles we've already hit:

Broforce
Dying Light
Far Cry 5
Halo MCC
Risk of Rain
Streets of Rogue

Helldivers

If you like puzzles:

We were here series
Tick Tock a tale for two. Voice chat would be required for this, you don't join a game but choose which path you will play. Each path will have information for each other to complete the puzzles. It''s pretty short, took me about 4 hours to complete
Operation Tango, only one of you needs to own the game, the other can download the friends pass and play with you for free

Sonel fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 5, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

repiv posted:

It's because the EGS is a quick cash in to try and eat a chunk of marketshare with lossleaders and exclusives, rather than a product intended for longterm use and stability.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Sloppy posted:

ymgve posted:

I should have taken a screenshot of it, but I installed the game last night and read that phrasing "including recently accessed website data" or something along those lines in Sony's description of the scope of the "limited data collection" option, which itself was the less invasive of the two available options.

I'm not buying the game again, but anybody is free to buy it and install it, screenshot that section and post it here, then turn the game off, uninstall, and request a refund.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 5, 2022

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ymgve posted:

According to the Privacy Policy from the Steam page:

quote:

Information That We Collect or Receive

We collect and receive information from and about you by different means as described below.

Information You Provide to Us

We collect the information that you directly provide to us, such as when you enter it on our website, or include it in an email that you send to us. This type of collection often occurs through our business support processes, such as:

Registration or PlayStation Network Account (“Account”) Creation Processes, where we ask you to provide information such as: Contact info (e.g. name, email or physical address, country, or phone number); Account Administration Info (e.g. user name, password, or security questions); Billing Information (e.g. credit card or other payment number, billing address); Date of Birth; and Profile Info (e.g. profile photo, languages, likes). Purchase Processes, where we may ask you to provide additional billing info to process payment. Technical and Customer Support Processes, where we may ask you to provide contact info and information related to the issue you are contacting us about. We may also record calls you make to PlayStation Support. Other business processes, where we may ask you to provide information such as name, email address, and Account ID if you participate in market research surveys, beta and other user testing research, competitions, promotions or events or agree to receive marketing information from us.
In addition, we collect the information that you provide by entering it into certain Service features. For example, when you want to post in a forum, you provide us the content for the post (which could contain PI which we collect and then display for you on the forum). Likewise, when you use other features such as voice or text messaging, blogs, surveys, user-generated content, activity streams, or social media, we may first collect the information you enter into the feature.

Please make sure that any personal details which you provide are accurate and current. We will send any important information relating to your Account to you using the contact information you provide (including Account security and privacy notices). You can check and update some of the information you have provided to us any time via Account Management.

Automatic Information Collection

We may also automatically or passively collect information about your use of our Services, see the sub-sections below for a list of categories by sources of such information.

Consoles and other devices

Each time you use a PlayStation console or a PlayStation app on a PlayStation console or other devices (such as a mobile phone or PC), we may automatically collect information about your use of that device and app. If you sign into an Account, we may combine it with other information we have for that Account.

The information that we collect from devices may include:

Device identifiers such as your PlayStation console ID, mobile device IDs, cookie IDs, or serial numbers Network identifiers such as your IP address and MAC address Account authentication tokens that avoid you having to log in repeatedly Content and ads downloaded to your device for the online services that you access Your current and recent locations (e.g. on PS Vita) Trophies, scores and rankings achieved online and offline Information about the device you are using, any connected peripherals (such as controllers and VR headsets) and how you have configured them Information about how you use the software installed on your device (which may include information about the use of the software offline), such as date and time of use, what games or music you play, what content you browse, share or download, what services you access and for how long, including how often you use chat and other communication applications The actions you take within games or apps published by SIE (e.g. what obstacle you jump over and what levels you reach) Software errors and load times details, and if you have the "Report System Software Errors Automatically" setting turned on, detailed information about the crash, including screenshots and video captured before the crash
On a device or app basis, depending on your region, and for games released after March 2018, you may be provided with choices that control our collection of information. For further information on these options, refer to the Choices section of this Privacy Policy below.

PlayStation Network and Store

Each time you sign into PlayStation Network and access our Services, we may automatically:

Collect information about your use of PlayStation Network Services on your device. Log your activity on our PlayStation Network servers. For example, we may receive device and Account identifiers, such as your PlayStation Network Online ID and Account ID. We may also receive details of: the content, advertisements, and other information your devices request and receive from our servers (such as store content, trophies, and friends lists) and when you receive and interact with them; what content and apps you add to your 'basket' in our Store; and what you purchase.
Games

Each time you play a game developed and/or published by us or another Sony Interactive Entertainment company we may automatically:

Collect information about your use of that game on your device (including for offline games, which may include information about the use of the game offline). Log your activity on our game servers. For example, we may receive device and Account identifiers, such as PlayStation Network Online ID, information about how you use our online games, and which players you play against.

Websites, Marketing, and Advertising

Each time you visit our websites or receive and interact with our marketing communications and advertising on our and third-party websites and services, we may automatically log your activity on web, emails, or advertising and marketing servers we control through cookies (small information files placed on a hard drive), web beacons, tracking pixels, browser configuration details (e.g. browser type, list of installed plugins and list of installed fonts), and embedded scripts (programming code that is temporarily downloaded onto a device).

Information We Receive from Third Parties

We may receive information, including the following, from third party sources and combine it with information we already directly collect from you. We will handle the information in accordance with this Privacy Policy.

Game, social media, or other information, from those third parties or services you link your Account with, or who provide information to power PlayStation Network features. Information from other users, for example if those users have given us access to their profiles and if you are one of their connections, or information about you is otherwise made accessible to us by them. Information from third-parties as appropriate given our relationship, for example from anti-fraud service providers we might obtain fraud risk scores; from law enforcement or partners, we might obtain IP addresses and details of suspected unlawful or malicious activity. Card account update information provided by your bank to help keep your payment cards up to date on your Account. Following any update, we will continue to charge the applicable payment methods to any purchases you make unless you notify us otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Ragequit posted:

According to the Privacy Policy from the Steam page:

That is much less aggressive language than what was in the actual game data collection notification. In game, there is absolutely zero mention of specific websites only pertaining to Sony.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 5, 2022