Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Yeah as a point in its favor Discord is basically free to use and maintain. Naturally everyone just started to hammer everything to fit within it even if clearly better options were available.

Well, somebody gotta pay the bills for that eventually too..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Celebrity Ghost posted:

usually linking to Youtube videos

This is in a mod for Rimworld when you click a question mark box that is supposed to help tell you what is going on in that menu

This is where we are at

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Just to make this post about Final Fantasy, all this talk about FFT is making me want to get my hands on a copy and play it again. Is there a good guide on how to break the game, as people were discussing? I play it once back in high school and pretty sure I just grinded XP/JP in random battles by bonking my own guys, but with no real focus or direction.

Busted strats in FFT I can think of off the top of my head are to have a character learn everything on Samurai then switch them to a class with high MATK like Black Mage and blow everything up (Samurai's skillset scales with MATK), give someone that's learned all the break skills from Knight a gun so they can use break from across the map, unlock and use Dancer or Calculator, like, at all, and then in Chapter 2 when you get to the swamp map save/load until a Uribo spawns. Use a mediator to get it to join your team and then do Proposition missions while you wait for it to spawn offspring. The second tier of uribo can poach into an accessory (Chantage) that makes female units literally immortal

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Fandom.com just has absolutely terrible mobile pages.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Leal posted:

I don't understand why people do this. I can't imagine reading a guide on discord is anything but completely frustrating. Do they make individual channels for what would be pages on a regular wiki?

I went to look up info for a mod on another game and no poo poo there is a notification on the top of the page saying all content was removed and if you want to see it join this discord.

Pretty much just a billion channels with a bunch of pinned posts, yeah. Sometimes there are just posts in the channels with info, sometimes there are links to Google Docs or spreadsheets, it all depends on the Discord.

Also it sucks and wikis are better, even when they're lovely like Fextralife.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

<bursting in through the door unasked for>The best way to break FFT is with a hammer!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If only there were some central location online people could write user guides and answer frequently asked questions for free, like some kind of game FAQs

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SaGa Frontier Remastered coming out last year was a great nostalgia trip because many of the best resources for that game are still on GameFAQs. It was a lot of fun to dive back in to a bunch of 20+ year old GameFAQs guides for terribly-written but extremely comprehensive guides on things like monster skill inheritance.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There was a hot 5 minutes where the IGN strategy wiki was a great place for walkthroughs and info whatever happened to that?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

google search and mobile browsing disincentivizes websites being at all good or useful

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

IT's Lenna's theme.

Or do you mean the FF14 song because that's just called "The Baldesion Annex"

Thank you. Why would you make the area owned by krile, granddaughter of galuf in Ff14, have Lenna’s theme (it is a good theme)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Ooh, a Final Fantasy thread!

I just beat FF7 Intergrade. Short but enjoyable. I really liked the FF7 remake and hope the next actual full part releases soon. Or at all. Is there any concrete information regarding when or if the next part is being released?

I'm a bad Final Fantasy enjoyer and like all the ones people hate. FF8 is probably my favorite, though I'm replaying that to see if it's just rose tinted glasses. FFX was fine. FFXII was awesome and I really, really enjoyed FFXIII. Especially XIII-2. Hated Lightning Returns with a passion though. It felt like Majora's Mask all over again, which I also hated.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

zedprime posted:

There was a hot 5 minutes where the IGN strategy wiki was a great place for walkthroughs and info whatever happened to that?

It's still okay sometimes, depends on the game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CornHolio posted:

Ooh, a Final Fantasy thread!

I'm a bad Final Fantasy enjoyer

No such thing, enjoying final fantasy is always good and cool

quote:

and like all the ones people hate. FF8 is probably my favorite, though I'm replaying that to see if it's just rose tinted glasses. FFX was fine. FFXII was awesome and I really, really enjoyed FFXIII. Especially XIII-2. Hated Lightning Returns with a passion though. It felt like Majora's Mask all over again, which I also hated.

I’m glad you enjoyed FF13 but I had a.. different reaction. LR was pretty good though!

I really like Lightning as a character, and the setting of FF13, but man.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Mr. Locke posted:

It's a strong skill set, but so's Black Magic, Summon, Time Magic, Jump, Draw Out, Yin/Yang, Throw, Dance- and, as said, even without grinding you should have generics moving into many of these niches well before you see even Agrias, forget Cid.

You're absolutely grinding if you're rolling with samurai and freaking dancers in the middle of act 2. Hell you can't even buy weapons for many of the advanced classes until act 3.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's wild to me that there are big name games where there's no fan information sites or maybe at best a wikia with mostly blank pages, and then on the other side of the spectrum you have stuff like finding out a loving Monster Rancher site has been continually run and updated for over 20 years now. https://legendcup.com/index.php.

At the very least I suppose I support a Discord over Reddit. Or worse....Steam hubs

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Saint Freak posted:

It's wild to me that there are big name games where there's no fan information sites or maybe at best a wikia with mostly blank pages, and then on the other side of the spectrum you have stuff like finding out a loving Monster Rancher site has been continually run and updated for over 20 years now. https://legendcup.com/index.php.

At the very least I suppose I support a Discord over Reddit. Or worse....Steam hubs

Speaking of continuous websites I was pleasantly surprised the other day to find that zophar.net, aside from modernizing their stylesheets a bit, is exactly the same website as it was more than 25 years ago

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I've played through FF6 who knows how many times, not to mentions tons of unfinished runs, and I don't know if I've ever see a desperation attack

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've seen one like... once I think. Shadow's I'm pretty sure. But that's it, through a bunch of playthroughs.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Random: every FF should have a part where you go into space, even (especially) the low tech ones. It's pretty much always awesome.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CornHolio posted:

FF8 is probably my favorite, though I'm replaying that to see if it's just rose tinted glasses.

You're among a lot of FF8-likers here I think. Incidentally someone recently made a thread all about FF8 if you want people to post a lot about your replay with. It's such a bonkers game and I can't help but love it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Just to make this post about Final Fantasy, all this talk about FFT is making me want to get my hands on a copy and play it again. Is there a good guide on how to break the game, as people were discussing? I played it once back in high school and pretty sure I just grinded XP/JP in random battles by bonking my own guys, but with no real focus or direction.

GameFAQs still has all the old FFT guides up.

If you want to do the most broken stuff possible look up a Calculator guide.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Celebrity Ghost posted:

For a brief moment fighting games were heading in that direction; I was part of like 3 separate discords because there was one room for each character plus the main game itself, all split into subchannels. There were messages pinned in various channels, usually linking to Youtube videos or Twitter messages, Google Docs or Evernote, so it was worse than the info all being hard to look up, it was also spread into a million formats that may or may not be there later. It was awful and I'm glad wikis became the standard again. I can only assume it became that way because wikis do require someone to cough up money for hosting and a bit of actual organization.

Just to make this post about Final Fantasy, all this talk about FFT is making me want to get my hands on a copy and play it again. Is there a good guide on how to break the game, as people were discussing? I played it once back in high school and pretty sure I just grinded XP/JP in random battles by bonking my own guys, but with no real focus or direction.

I'm glad FFXI predated discord because it was hard enough to understand that game with two competing full blown wikis, an allakhazam sub-site, and multiple dedicated forums

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Until late 2019, all the best Legend of Mana information was sequestered away in a Yahoo Groups page. The only reason it finally became more publically known was because folks needed to archive it otherwise it would be lost forever when all the user-posted content was deleted.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
GameFAQs isn't what it used to be either. There are almost no guides for modern games and almost none of the old guides ever got updated.

When I was playing FF5PR I went there a couple times looking for strats to beat bosses that were giving me trouble. I had to look at 3 or 4 different guides before I found what I needed because even the highest rated guides were written by morons who make sure to tell you that every boss fight is actually super easy and you're a moron for not instantly knowing the trick or weakness to exploit.

So many of them are super unhelpful and are like "this is the weird unintended way I stumbled through the fight and I didn't bother to learn any other ways to beat it" or "I beat this boss by leaving and grinding levels and brute forcing it".

Just the worst poo poo ever. Speaking of which, wasn't there a "worst game FAQ" thread at some point? I seem to remember reading some galaxy brain poo poo that people were making fun of.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

OddObserver posted:

Well, somebody gotta pay the bills for that eventually too..?

Discord collects user data and sells it (in addition to Nitro and whatever else they sell directly to users).

Harrow posted:

SaGa Frontier Remastered coming out last year was a great nostalgia trip because many of the best resources for that game are still on GameFAQs. It was a lot of fun to dive back in to a bunch of 20+ year old GameFAQs guides for terribly-written but extremely comprehensive guides on things like monster skill inheritance.

Stuff like certain skills having HP requirements and the skill combos necessary for specific forms would take an eternity to figure out on your own, if ever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It was wild seeing some of the old guides on GameFAQs for SaGa Frontier when I was playing the remaster. Some of the walkthroughs I looked at were hilariously vague and a lot of the advice for how to build characters or what characters were good were very wrong. And yet there were also a bunch of really in-depth guides with skill learning and stat growth math and the only guide that got me even remotely close to understanding how monster skill inheritance worked. GameFAQs was magical.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Speaking of which, wasn't there a "worst game FAQ" thread at some point? I seem to remember reading some galaxy brain poo poo that people were making fun of.

There's a goldmined Imp Zone thread about GameFAQs, dunno if it's the one you're thinking of but it's good: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3927897

Evil Fluffy posted:

Stuff like certain skills having HP requirements and the skill combos necessary for specific forms would take an eternity to figure out on your own, if ever.

Even with an extremely detailed guide I struggled to really understand it. I managed to get a couple strong monsters in my Riki playthrough (and also Kylin) but all the other monsters I used I hosed up wildly.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 5, 2022

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Elephant Ambush posted:

When I was playing FF5PR I went there a couple times looking for strats to beat bosses that were giving me trouble. I had to look at 3 or 4 different guides before I found what I needed because even the highest rated guides were written by morons who make sure to tell you that every boss fight is actually super easy and you're a moron for not instantly knowing the trick or weakness to exploit.

I don't know about a thread for general stuff, but this bit about FFV specifically reminded me of this wonderfully terrible old guide for playing the game Freelancer Only (ie not changing Jobs ever). Its listed... "strategy" for the final boss includes these wonderful sentences:

quote:

Use your brain and think about different strategies. There aren't too many things you can do. Attack and pray that you can win.

I also notice, as a general trend, more recent GameFAQs guides have a tendency to get directions completely wrong. So often it says to go left when it means right, or east but it should be west etc. and I just don't know how you can be so consistently wrong about something so basic.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Elephant Ambush posted:

GameFAQs isn't what it used to be either. There are almost no guides for modern games and almost none of the old guides ever got updated.

So many of them are super unhelpful and are like "this is the weird unintended way I stumbled through the fight and I didn't bother to learn any other ways to beat it" or "I beat this boss by leaving and grinding levels and brute forcing it".

Just the worst poo poo ever. Speaking of which, wasn't there a "worst game FAQ" thread at some point? I seem to remember reading some galaxy brain poo poo that people were making fun of.

At least one top rated guide for every Final Fantasy will suggest you grind your party members to be 10 to 15 levels higher than you reasonably need, without fail

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

pretty soft girl posted:

At least one top rated guide for every Final Fantasy will suggest you grind your party members to be 10 to 15 levels higher than you reasonably need, without fail

The official strategy guide for FF6 (back in the "FF3" days) insisted that your party should be around level 30 for the Floating Continent. I used to grind up to that level there because I was sure Atma Weapon would stomp me if I didn't.

These days I know it's not particularly hard to beat the whole game with a party that's like level 35 or so and there's no reason to be anywhere near that for the Floating Continent.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Lotus Aura posted:

I don't know about a thread for general stuff, but this bit about FFV specifically reminded me of this wonderfully terrible old guide for playing the game Freelancer Only (ie not changing Jobs ever). Its listed... "strategy" for the final boss includes these wonderful sentences:

and even THAT is wrong because freelancers can use the magic lamp and can break rods so there's definitely a lot more than just "attack and pray"

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Lotus Aura posted:

I also notice, as a general trend, more recent GameFAQs guides have a tendency to get directions completely wrong. So often it says to go left when it means right, or east but it should be west etc. and I just don't know how you can be so consistently wrong about something so basic.

Worst FFV guide I saw rated chemist as one of the worst jobs. Smh.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Neo Exdeath is faster and has sharper Almagest and Grand Cross than you do. It has no code of ethics or considerations for it's own future. In a fair fight it will win.

Don't fight NED
Use your brain.
Use drugs.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Funny the topic came up, last week I checked my younger self's yahoo mail account for the first time in years and found a nice message from someone 2 years ago about an Azure Dreams guide a wrote for GameFAQs ~15 years ago. Felt bad I never responded so I sent them something. I'm still a sometimes GameFAQs/StrategyWiki contributor but I basically considering it releasing a little paper airplane into the void.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Lotus Aura posted:

I got stuck like that in Somnium Files. Basically there are timed puzzle portions and if you want an achievement you have to finish in the time allotted.

At one point I had three different guides open, none of which were correct. All of them were missing at least one step/got an instruction wrong/etc. but by combining three different websites I was able to make a correct one. And this was just for one puzzle that had like, maybe a total of 20 instructions.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Harrow posted:

Even with an extremely detailed guide I struggled to really understand it. I managed to get a couple strong monsters in my Riki playthrough (and also Kylin) but all the other monsters I used I hosed up wildly.

The real issue is that monsters are basically not worth the effort. By the time you get Riki, Thunder, or some other monster changed to a black dragon or even a kraken you can have lifesprinkler on Gen and DSC on people like Liza and Fuse, Rouge/Blue spelled up and nuking fights, etc, and the monster won't keep up. Maybe they can provide a support role but eh.

Harrow posted:

The official strategy guide for FF6 (back in the "FF3" days) insisted that your party should be around level 30 for the Floating Continent. I used to grind up to that level there because I was sure Atma Weapon would stomp me if I didn't.

These days I know it's not particularly hard to beat the whole game with a party that's like level 35 or so and there's no reason to be anywhere near that for the Floating Continent.

I used to save after Whelk, grind Terra to 13-14 in the mountains, die to Vargas, and then play from the save point without worrying about XP ever again but low level runs are just more interesting. Especially if you decide to break the game with esper stat games later on. Particularly +speed via Raiden since even an extra 10 speed is huge.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

The real issue is that monsters are basically not worth the effort. By the time you get Riki, Thunder, or some other monster changed to a black dragon or even a kraken you can have lifesprinkler on Gen and DSC on people like Liza and Fuse, Rouge/Blue spelled up and nuking fights, etc, and the monster won't keep up. Maybe they can provide a support role but eh.

Yeah, I really only used monsters out of a sort of self-imposed obligation to do so. I had a mostly monster party in Riki's playthrough just for the flavor, and then I was also doing an NG+ chain where I was using different characters for each scenario (to avoid using my already leveled-up characters) so that meant using some monsters along the way. It was a fun way to play, though, even if it meant I had to drag a monster over the finish line a couple times.

Then again this is also the game where I committed to the stupid level of grinding required to teach Blue Lifesprinkler (I will never use the retranslated name) and the DSC and get his physical stats as high as his magical ones. But hey, now I have an uber-battlemage to use on the superbosses which is pretty satisfying.

He's in gun-mage mode here because a whole team doing Shadow Servant + Bounding Shot really helps blast through all the final bosses each time you're about to fight a superboss. I, uh, may have played too much SaGa Frontier.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 5, 2022

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Bounding shot gets stupidly, stupidly powerful with high stats too. I think it might be more consistent high dps than DSC.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Onean posted:

It also had a rapist among it's staff. I believe he's gone, though?

I still only go in there rarely to see if anything's changed for a Job I play since it's usually the quickest updated with the most accurate text guides, and never look at any of the discussion.

Iirc one of the mods was the woman who was raped, and when she was very obviously in crises she was kicked out because she was “being too mean to [her rapist]”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm so glad I'm a filthy casual who just learns poo poo as they go

Except gathering I guess, please tell me there's no sex pests or other assholes behind Garlandtools :ohdear: