Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

enigmahfc posted:

I think the guys are 'old man crankier' then they used to be (still funny, though), but Cabin's "Why mess with tradition" when referring to a jerk off sock REALLY got me. Holy poo poo. They barely reacted to that line, but it was like....line of the ep for me.

No time to react. The next joke’s coming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

enigmahfc posted:

I think the guys are 'old man crankier' then they used to be (still funny, though), but Cabin's "Why mess with tradition" when referring to a jerk off sock REALLY got me. Holy poo poo. They barely reacted to that line, but it was like....line of the ep for me.

*Steven Sadak voice*

"Jerk..offfff...hahaha...soooock....hahah.........Ohhhh....maaaannnnnn."

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
For the live shows, have they figured out muting the audience? Curious about the Mortal Kombat show, but I remember reading about an issue at the start of all of this.

EDIT: About the episode -- I get that Ryan Reynolds only does the one thing anymore, but I don't get why you'd be angry about it. Isn't that the whole deal with comedic actors? They don't just seem mad about his persona, they seem mad that he HAS a persona. I mean, no one got mad at WC Fields or like, Jack Benny, for doing their one thing.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 5, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Only the new releases. It's not thoughtful analysis I just log and slot movies in as I watch them.

So, we can pretend this is normal behavior, or…

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

thrawn527 posted:

So, we can pretend this is normal behavior, or…

Uh, that's really not that weird. Like tons of people use Letterboxd or Goodreads to do exactly that

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Zore posted:

Uh, that's really not that weird. Like tons of people use Letterboxd or Goodreads to do exactly that
Sicko behavior imo
https://letterboxd.com/horseshoecrabin/list/2021-releases-ranked/

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 5, 2022

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also lol when they're looking up the Where's Waldo? with the half-naked lady they find it on the Something Awful front page.

We did it everyone, we finally found some people who have read the front page.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ha, fair enough.

Zore posted:

Also lol when they're looking up the Where's Waldo? with the half-naked lady they find it on the Something Awful front page.

We have a front page?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zore posted:

I literally just read this not even 30 seconds before they started talking about it.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
This week’s Boba Fett has some moments that will have our boys hooting.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

The Modern Leper posted:

For the live shows, have they figured out muting the audience? Curious about the Mortal Kombat show, but I remember reading about an issue at the start of all of this.

EDIT: About the episode -- I get that Ryan Reynolds only does the one thing anymore, but I don't get why you'd be angry about it. Isn't that the whole deal with comedic actors? They don't just seem mad about his persona, they seem mad that he HAS a persona. I mean, no one got mad at WC Fields or like, Jack Benny, for doing their one thing.

I just find him intolerable to look at. So I can stomach Deadpool and Detective Pikachu. It's not really fair to him, it's my weird issue. But eh!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

mweber posted:

This week’s Boba Fett has some moments that will have our boys hooting.

so who fucks who?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Modern Leper posted:

I think it's because he used to do other things they liked before Deadpool. Now, like Dwayne Johnson, he just does one thing. If they had never liked those prior movies, they probably wouldn't care as much and just be bored that he doesn't change things up.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

explosivo posted:

so who fucks who?

If you really want to know there’s some weird Walsh twins Hutt thing going on.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I guess. I can't think of a single thing that he was in that I specifically liked him in other than Buried, which was never going to be a career path movie. I liked Adventureland, but I can't remember him in it. I've probably seen all of Ordinary Magic in ten minute increments on HBO over the years, but it's not a good movie.

The guy's been starring in movies since 93, and working regularly since 97. There have been a couple of successes along the way, but none that are particularly memorable for him other than Van Wilder. Like, they can get mad or feel he's not doing all he's capable of, but after 20 years I would latch on to whatever works as long as it does. Make hay while the sun shines -- he still has plenty of time to pivot to family movies or Oscar bait if he wants.

EDIT: The Rock feels different, because a) his whole career was built off of being the bad guy you love to root for, so there is a sense that he stopped playing to his strengths, and b) because it feels odd that he's been LESS versatile than his charismatic, but... limited predecessor.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 5, 2022

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I like Ryan Reynolds, sue me.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Invalid Validation posted:

I like Ryan Reynolds, sue me.

*whispers* I liked Free Guy and Red Notice, I like just having stupid fun

Unrelated to the current discussion, I've been relistening to a few random pre-100 episodes over the past few days while I've been doing some other stuff and I forgot how much at the start Andrew was more in a mode as the straight man. His speaking voice is a lot more subdued when the episodes start (which I think he's said before is a little more of his regular speaking voice) and he's not getting as wacky as usual. The episodes are still great and I'm not knocking them, it's just fun to see how things have changed over a decade.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cael posted:

*whispers* I liked Free Guy and Red Notice, I like just having stupid fun

Unrelated to the current discussion, I've been relistening to a few random pre-100 episodes over the past few days while I've been doing some other stuff and I forgot how much at the start Andrew was more in a mode as the straight man. His speaking voice is a lot more subdued when the episodes start (which I think he's said before is a little more of his regular speaking voice) and he's not getting as wacky as usual. The episodes are still great and I'm not knocking them, it's just fun to see how things have changed over a decade.

Although I started listening when Cabin was away, it always puts me off when there's an episode where one of the boys is missing.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Iron Crowned posted:

Although I started listening when Cabin was away, it always puts me off when there's an episode where one of the boys is missing.

I don't remember if they ever said exactly what it was, or if I just forgot, but what had Cabin off "on assignment" for a year? I vaguely remember something about Germany?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I believe his wife had a job there at the time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, his wife got a job in Germany and he ended up moving out there with her for a year before it ended and they came back.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Oh, that's even cooler than him getting a job in Germany. Good Guy Cabin.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Early Jupin was way more angry movie nerd too and I'm glad that he (and the rest of the boys, well maybe not cabin) have all mellowed to the point that they've realized that actually hating things is pointless and you should all have fun and not take things too seriously. Except Easy Rider 2, because gently caress that terrible piece of poo poo movie.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I started listening during the Cabin-less year and I thought the entire thing was a bit until he came back/I dug into backlog.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Not too interested in it as a piece of entertainment, but if anyone picks up the American Movie Commentary, can you post a trip report on tone? I just rewatched the movie, and man is it a lot sadder than it felt when I first watched it at 22.

Mike Schank is still a bright light. I pray that he wasn't milkshake ducked in the years since.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

The Modern Leper posted:

Not too interested in it as a piece of entertainment, but if anyone picks up the American Movie Commentary, can you post a trip report on tone? I just rewatched the movie, and man is it a lot sadder than it felt when I first watched it at 22.

Mike Schank is still a bright light. I pray that he wasn't milkshake ducked in the years since.

Some things are made fun of but it’s truly a labor of love for the guys. And yeah, I think they’re aware that it’s kind of a sad film at times but they really are more endeared towards Marc and Mike instead of mocking.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

For years the boys' impressions of the people in American movie flew right over my head. Then I watched the movie with the commentary and realized that I have seen this movie. Somehow, somewhere I saw it and it's kind of unsettling resurrecting a long forgotten memory like that

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
If you've seen American Movie and, for whatever reason, haven't watched Coven, do yourself a favor.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So what is American movie?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BigRed0427 posted:

Thank you, I was about to ask this. Google is just confusing me more.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181288/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

e: I probably should've added something to this, but it's been so so so many years since I've seen it I don't really have anything. Prob time for a rewatch. I can't even remember whether or not I saw Coven!

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 8, 2022

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

BigRed0427 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Movie

It's a film about a dude trying to make a film and the whole story of what he does to finance it, the best, most wholesome intentions not going to plan, and eventually where it lands him.

Think of it as the yin to Overnight's (the documentary about the Boondock Saints guy where you're rooting for Harvey Weinstein to destroy his rear end) yang

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMFZOu8rDUQ

It's also the inspiration for the "acid flashback and a case of Surge" jokes on the Canvas episode and others.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
It’s also really good

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
https://twitter.com/Dbrasco37/status/1480761011145695234?t=0HnZOEJU_1MvaLMBo9-aiQ&s=19

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Depression protip: saying things in the Randy Newman voice when you’re having a case of the sadbrains might not cure your ailment, but it definitely makes it funnier.

why DO I WAH-NUH sleep ALL DEY? I can’t stop cryyiiin’

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Steve on Lola Bunny: I now have to stand up for A-cup rabbits because you, Looney Tunes, are making me think about cup size.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I got to say, it was a nice surprise to see the return of the Tom Six voice.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

teen witch posted:

Depression protip: saying things in the Randy Newman voice when you’re having a case of the sadbrains might not cure your ailment, but it definitely makes it funnier.

why DO I WAH-NUH sleep ALL DEY? I can’t stop cryyiiin’

this but the Nick Nolte wheeze/scream has become one of my go-to movies to try to curb a low stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The Rise of Skywalker and The Mandolorian killed any interest I had in Star Wars and drat this Bubba Fett show sounds terrible. It's all just fan service. Their Picard show also kept me mostly away from that too. These guys are providing a public service.