Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
On blind chat, does anyone actually make good cordless cellular blinds?

We have 2" [faux?] wood blinds everywhere. The mechanisms are 20+ years old and breaking, and the cords are loving annoying. And we have small kids so there's that. So we're in the market...

Haven't done a ton of research but one site we found wants over $300/ea (the shade store?) for cordless double cell. I'm sure there are cheaper, but now I see people griping about blinds so I don't want to spend a few grand on blinds only to have them crap out in a few years.

Or am I looking at the wrong thing? Should we look at rollers, or some other way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DaveSauce posted:

On blind chat, does anyone actually make good cordless cellular blinds?

We have 2" [faux?] wood blinds everywhere. The mechanisms are 20+ years old and breaking, and the cords are loving annoying. And we have small kids so there's that. So we're in the market...

Haven't done a ton of research but one site we found wants over $300/ea (the shade store?) for cordless double cell. I'm sure there are cheaper, but now I see people griping about blinds so I don't want to spend a few grand on blinds only to have them crap out in a few years.

Or am I looking at the wrong thing? Should we look at rollers, or some other way?

The previous owner of our new house put in cordless shades/blinds made by a company called QMotion. They're wireless/battery operated. One is already not working and I haven't taken the time to figure out if it's just the batteries or something else. :suicide:

430pm: I put up a craigslist/nextdoor post for free moving boxes.
630pm: I no longer have mountains of moving boxes.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I've been doing lots of Google research on this myself and I keep coming back to Select Blinds. In the end it's going to be because they're one of the few places that seem to have multiple options for shallow depth windows (1950s house, two POs ago put in new double pane windows but that reduced the depth to 0.75 inches).

The immediate PO used them (they left behind one spare with documentation) but apparently measured the windows incorrectly and bought ones that had brackets way too deep for the windows so we're going through and replacing plus buying for windows that have no treatments.

We're a bit nervous about the cost ourselves so I think we're going to do one room at a time, but yeah, we don't want to spend thousands of dollars every few years or so if they don't hold up.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My house has Hunter Douglas pulldown/push up shades and they're fantastic. When the missus She-Hulks them they get kind of weird about rolling back down but I just adjust the screws and they're back to normal

Next house WILL have plantation shutters though. Nothing compares and I'm a fan of buy once/cry once

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
We used Blindster for basic faux blinds for this house and our previous place; reasonable prices and good quality in my experience. We don't have kids though.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 4, 2022

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

hobbez posted:

Haha sorry. Mine are cellular shades, which basically have a hidden spring system in them that should “suck up” the shade when you press a button. They look slick, but one day the shade stopped retracting properly and would just kind of hang there half closed, with no option to manually retract it further.

Yup, we bought this brand and have the exact same problem. They suck.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Wait, the backyard turd soup story was real? Lmao

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Maybe I’m a simple man but we’ve been slowly replacing all our blinds with the Allen + Roth brand’s cordless from Lowes and have been really happy with them. I think it’s like $40 or $60 for one. Been using the blackout versions in bedrooms and that’s been great too.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I have corded blinds, but the cords are short. Am I going to die?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Depends on how tall you are

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Orange DeviI posted:

I have corded blinds, but the cords are short. Am I going to die?

Yes, but the blinds probably won't contribute to it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

The Dave posted:

Maybe I’m a simple man but we’ve been slowly replacing all our blinds with the Allen + Roth brand’s cordless from Lowes and have been really happy with them. I think it’s like $40 or $60 for one. Been using the blackout versions in bedrooms and that’s been great too.
Yeah, we have cellular cordless shades from JC Penny in a couple rooms that were like 40 a window. They're not awesome but they're cheap and they keep some sun out. Bonus is that they raise and lower at the bottom and the top, so we mostly leave the top 6 inches open and call it a day.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

We have Levolor blinds and they’re fine but we actually just leave everything open except the bedroom. We do have some plantation shutters in some rooms and I hate them. They’re so large and stupid and weigh a shitload because they’re solid wood.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have a few cordless cellular blackout shades from Menard’s that were under $50 each for 27 inch blinds. They’ll even cut them to size for you there, I think for free. I’m very happy with them. I only wish there were a way to seal the sides of the blinds in the frame because there’s a street light outside my bedroom window that shines in and reflects off the sides of the frame into the room, but that’s not an issue unique to any one kind of blinds, I don’t think.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I've been picking off rooms with Bali through Costco. First order was for Roman shades, a double window. A $600 unit. Two independent shades mounted on a single rail, thankfully exterior mounted. The anxiety of measuring it myself and hanging it was palpable. It worked perfectly. I wouldn't change a single measurement.

Since then I've ordered four more rooms with faux wood or wood blinds and I like them all. I learned that I like cord angle adjusters more than rods, but not enough to reorder. And I like blinds with curtains over the top the best, very dark and quiet in the bedrooms with that setup.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I just use curtains :v:.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

so I still kind of hate having radiators, but I have to say that when its 0 degrees outside (which happens once or twice a year) its nice to be sitting at 73 degrees inside while a family member with only a heat pump can't break 60

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Upgrade posted:

so I still kind of hate having radiators, but I have to say that when its 0 degrees outside (which happens once or twice a year) its nice to be sitting at 73 degrees inside while a family member with only a heat pump can't break 60

Forced air natural gas furnace is the heating standard here in the Midwest, we can hit any temperature any time, it's great. The climate consequences of our actions won't be an issue for a long while, certainly!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We have a fan and a space heater in every room (no natural gas in our building)

It only gets cold during the rainy season and we're 95% hydro powered

Natural gas owns for heating though

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

The nice thing about radiators is they they stay warm without actively being theater, which also sucks when it gets too hot inside

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Our second level floors are much colder this winter than last, so I took a look around the house and spotted that there had been some silicone that seems to have cracked at the intersection of the wall and the overhang of that second level. My first instinct is to cut away the old silicone and fill the gap with Loctite Tite Foam. It’s not a huge gap (half inch) so I wonder if that might be overkill? Any tips here would be great.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hadlock posted:

Just quoting this so I can find it when my calendar notification pops up January 20

Did you already finish the permitting process

Who had the under? Garage should be (mostly) done on Friday. :smug:

Pressure reduction valve installed today. Looking forward to a terrible shower tomorrow.

gently caress home ownership is expensive. I’m saving so much money on rent.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Upgrade posted:

What's their insulation like? A heat pumps performance doesn't go to zero at that sort of temp, modern ones should still be more efficient than radiators (IE have a CoP > 1)

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

pointsofdata posted:

What's their insulation like? A heat pumps performance doesn't go to zero at that sort of temp, modern ones should still be more efficient than radiators (IE have a CoP > 1)

Their house has zero insulation

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I love my hybrid heat pump system. It has auxiliary gas heat to kick in and help if it gets too cold for the heat pump to keep up.

Super efficient too, we spend less energy on hvac than the last house and this is one is 3x the size.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Moving to our new place with modern windows and insulation was a game changer

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Oh yeah, we did new windows 2 years ago and it was huge for the level of comfort. They were original to the house so they were drafty as poo poo.

I really want to foam spray the joist cavities in the basement all around as well as a couple more spaces in the attic, that will make a huge difference in the amount of exchange air that gets sucked in. In the winter we have really low humidity so we run a portable humidifier on the 2nd floor. Whenever we have to refresh the hvac I’ll have them add one in to the system. Not worth doing right now even if there is space.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sirotan posted:

I've definitely seen corded blinds at Homes Depot etc since becoming a homeowner in 2019, and what order for shades isn't considered custom?

I picked up some blinds there near the end of last year (there were three windows that, as far as I can tell, had never had any sort of covering on them since the house was built 20+ years ago?) and everything HD had in store was cordless only. Even had some signage about it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Upgrade posted:

Their house has zero insulation

WTF how can you build or even live in a house like that when it can go to -17C. Just burning money for half the year.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Gutter guy is telling me I need to add gutters to the circled dormers. Will gutters there actually DO anything?! There is only about 3" of awning so the water hitting that siding is just coming in sideways and very little is running off that direction.

Although I guess gutters would add another 2" of awning...

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Gutter guy is telling me I need to add gutters to the circled dormers. Will gutters there actually DO anything?! There is only about 3" of awning so the water hitting that siding is just coming in sideways and very little is running off that direction.

That makes no sense to me, the uneducated lay person. My house has gables like that and there are no gutters on any of them, nor would I expect there to be because gravity.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Beef Of Ages posted:

That makes no sense to me, the uneducated lay person. My house has gables like that and there are no gutters on any of them, nor would I expect there to be because gravity.

Yeah it seems completely stupid and I also just gave it the Obvious Test of going outside in the rain and looking at it, and there's no water running off the dormers

God I hate being an easy mark

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah it seems completely stupid and I also just gave it the Obvious Test of going outside in the rain and looking at it, and there's no water running off the dormers

I'm no gutter expert but yeah, the gutter guy is either an idiot or trying to rip you off

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

When calling contractors for quotes I now play the "I went to school in Boston" game when asked where I live.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

pointsofdata posted:

WTF how can you build or even live in a house like that when it can go to -17C. Just burning money for half the year.

It’s a rental so you and do poo poo

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

When calling contractors for quotes I now play the "I went to school in Boston" game when asked where I live.

You have to wake up PRETTY early to pull one over on a Bachelor of Arts from Salem, Oregon's finest institute of higher education :smuggo:

Same thought on the sides. I have steep roofs and very little overhang on my east and west walls, so I shouldn't need gutters on any of the yellow areas, yeah?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
No gutters needed in those yellow areas. Your gutter guy is an idiot. Tell him to show you a house with gutters on that part of the gable?? I can't say I've ever seen one.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You should ask your gutter guy why he's leaving out the two middle dormers!!!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Not a single house in my hood has gutters there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Turn it up to 11 and put gutters above windows and the garage doors too