Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Sleekly posted:

hmm not so much bird adjacent as woo adjacent its just struck me that a lot of times, usually serial killers and/or missing persons, that the cops have a lot of times/sometimes engaged psychics, mediums, diviners etc

my brain wants to recall that sometimes this has broken the case (cos im romantic that way) but has it ever really? in a documented way?

I remember tv psychic Sylvia Browne was using her experience as a psychic detective to advertise her skills but she was pretty fuckin' bad at her job

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Browne#Psychic_detective_cases

quote:

In 2000, Brill's Content examined ten recent Montel Williams episodes that highlighted Browne's work as a psychic detective, spanning 35 cases. In 21 cases, the information predicted by Browne was too vague to be verified. Of the remaining 14, law enforcement officials or family members stated Browne had played no useful role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i should discard evidence based materialistic concerns but the idea obsesses me like it did Mulder. the proof is out there

but what is proof really?
a sirius cybernetics stamp?
those official govt vids?

for me its been proved over and over that weird things have been arriving from the sky for loving centuries and i think the bitter pill part of this is we may not ever, like ever ever never ever be informed or grow to understand whats happening, and this is not due to some grand conspiracy but simply due to the simple fact that we aint capable of figuring it out and most likely wont be for ages and ages

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pontificating rear end posted:

Cool article on medium by a guy who was abducted by aliens and doesn't give a poo poo any more if you believe him or not

https://medium.com/on-the-trail-of-the-saucers/a-personal-note-about-alien-abduction-108ba39e3a31

Sure are a lot of similar stories and I wonder why anyone would ever make this stuff up

Came to post this, feel sorry for the guy, something like that happening is p.much my worst nightmare (and when something like it did happen, just once, it was - but I think it was sleep paralysis). Whatever happened even if it was just sleep paralysis) it clearly hosed him up some.

Lot of comments on the reddit saying this could just be a "screen memory" for abuse, but I don't think screen memories exist? How could we tell if they did or didn't?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

memory ain't poo poo, I can say that. beyond that, I am sure he has doubtless agonized over the question of it being another more earthly kind of trauma far more than armchair reddit speculation; if the person w/ the abductee story arriving at the position that it's not a screen memory or some kind of terrestrial abuse warped by time and trauma, then I'm more inclined to trust him there.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Why is it always the creepy experiment aliens and never the sexy cat aliens?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
There exists an enormous population of otherwise sane individuals from all over the world, all walks of life, who report "abductions" that share an inordinate amount of similarities. Many of them had little or no exposure to the specific details which link their tales together (meaning stuff other than seeing a gray alien with big eyes). We're either dealing with entities that actually perform these deeds or an equally bizarre paraphysical phenomenon that manifests itself en masse. Many of these encounters occur in situations that definitively rule out sleep paralysis and other commonly trotted-out skeptical explanations. Having done a ton of research into this aspect of birds, I personally hold this to be an absolute certainty, while understanding opinions vary. Anyone interested in the topic of the modern alien abduction scenario should start with the work of the late Harvard psychiatrist John Mack.

"False memory syndrome" is such an overwrought, often demeaning explanation, and Elizabeth Loftus is shameless for her history of promoting it and her dogged insistence on continuing to do so. This is a woman who testified in the defense of Harvey Weinstein, Ghislaine Maxwell, etc. etc. A real piece of work.

(Memory is an incredibly fickle beast and easily distorted, but has little to do with an overwhelming amount of consciously remembered abductions)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
that's sort of related to what i was thinking the other day about psychedelics

like how consistent and cross-cultural specific psychedelic "entity" experiences are

ayahuasca - feminine/maternal
san pedro - masculine/paternal
dmt - non-gendered, playful, "mathematical"

and then you could add "abduction experiences", where the entities are consistently "alien" (in the broadest sense) and sinister

even though i lean towards these being endogenous experiences, that kind of still means they're "real" in a sense, and it's still pretty nuts that most/all homo sapiens brains react so reliably to certain chemical(/environmental?) stimulii

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Mola Yam posted:

that's sort of related to what i was thinking the other day about psychedelics

like how consistent and cross-cultural specific psychedelic "entity" experiences are

ayahuasca - feminine/maternal
san pedro - masculine/paternal
dmt - non-gendered, playful, "mathematical"

and then you could add "abduction experiences", where the entities are consistently "alien" (in the broadest sense) and sinister

even though i lean towards these being endogenous experiences, that kind of still means they're "real" in a sense, and it's still pretty nuts that most/all homo sapiens brains react so reliably to certain chemical(/environmental?) stimulii

if u think of the brain as a kind of machine though this is explainable. perhaps humanity has missed the significance but if "X goes in and Y comes out/is experienced" then it isnt surprising really

is the shared experience an actual true trip to hang with these things? or is it just a chemical reaction playing in your higher brain functions?

i suggest you all send me copius amounts of psychedelics for research

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Watched The Vast of Night because of recommendations on this thread, I would further recommend everyone else to do so. However, I only had one issue with the ending It really looked like they were vaporized at the end here, don't know what else that be covering the tape recorder... And am confused as why they would make it seem like that or even leave it up to question .

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The greys being a common theme of abduction experiences is one thing but I'm more interested in the other common type that seems to show up. Strieber called them "little doctors," the blue guys in the Communion movie. Many experiences with them track closely with faerie abductions and other tales of wee folk that are common across cultures, moreso than "a grey alien light-beamed me out of a window and needled my balls."

You're in bed and wake up suddenly, paralyzed, and a whole troupe of little dudes wearing coveralls and funny hats trundles into your room and surrounds the bed. They're speaking excitedly in a language you don't understand and then you're floating out of bed (maybe they're carrying you on your back) and after that it's ?? until you wake up later with a vague memory of what happened. Are you a changeling (hybrid) now?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It is possible that you are a hybrid and different from all other humans and this makes you very special. In fact one of the most special humans ever, now you get your own little magical thinking palace you get to return to whenever you feel like it. So special!

It is also possible you watched a scary movie about aliens when you were a bit too young.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'm a big military history nerd and when I tell people this have they like to tell me about all the crazy WW2 video they saw of Omaha beach where the landing craft door opened and a whole bunch of marines got mowed down by machine guns.

Then I would explain to them that no, I have watched all of the archival footage in existence for the whole campaign and such video does not exist, what you are remembering is Saving Private Ryan and it's been so long since you remember seeing it you think that is real now. This has happened to me with this specific scene in Saving Private Ryan at least five times now, people explaining to me that they saw it in a documentary and it's real.

At least half of this thread is people just conflating some movie they saw with reality

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
why do aliens look like bald anime men when I haven’t even watched bald anime

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm a big military history nerd and when I tell people this have they like to tell me about all the crazy WW2 video they saw of Omaha beach where the landing craft door opened and a whole bunch of marines got mowed down by machine guns.

Then I would explain to them that no, I have watched all of the archival footage in existence for the whole campaign and such video does not exist, what you are remembering is Saving Private Ryan and it's been so long since you remember seeing it you think that is real now. This has happened to me with this specific scene in Saving Private Ryan at least five times now, people explaining to me that they saw it in a documentary and it's real.

At least half of this thread is people just conflating some movie they saw with reality

lol

no you idiot

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

It is possible that you are a hybrid and different from all other humans and this makes you very special. In fact one of the most special humans ever, now you get your own little magical thinking palace you get to return to whenever you feel like it. So special!

It is also possible you watched a scary movie about aliens when you were a bit too young.

what's with your weird aggressive posting in this thread

its possible (confirmed) that you are the dumbest poster in it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

my bony fealty posted:

what's with your weird aggressive posting in this thread

It is their sworn duty to protect Lady Enlightenment and her beautiful daughters Rationality, Logic, and Positivism from the dangers posed by a bunch of goons loving around and having a good time chattin' about birds and CIA mind readers

or something

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

low intelligence individual who likes to ‘study’ WW2 history (lol) sees people discussing topic that falls outside their rigidly defined world view and becomes uncomfortable then aggressive, many such cases!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I saw in a documentary that Pryor on Fire is an illiterate Dawkins-brained fool
We should mourn the rigidity and misery of his limited world view

I too wish I had the certainty of knowing everything there is to be known is already known and immutable

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
lmao, that’s good poo poo right there.

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
you probably saw that wheel-within-a-wheel thing in saving private ryan ezekial, you absolute moron

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
I watched signs when I was a child and it scared the poo poo out of me, I had trouble sleeping for a while but I've never had an abduction experience (by aliens)

I did watch the ring around the same time though and I still sometimes have creepy ring/ghost dreams.

Maybe I was just claimed by the ghosts first and according to the ET/Sprit world peace treaty, I am protected from ET activity.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

A goon has figured it all out. The secrets of the universe. All of them. Wrap it up pnutties

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Man who has only watched saving Private Ryan

"I'm getting a lot of saving Private Ryan vibes from this"

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

lmao nice avatar

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

D-Pad posted:

lmao nice avatar

lol

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

proud of u uap thread :glomp:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

skewetoo posted:

Man who has only watched saving Private Ryan

"I'm getting a lot of saving Private Ryan vibes from this"

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

very good thread, good content, good people, good vibes etc

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I will actually say that watching Saving Private Ryan in theaters was probably the most intense theater experience I ever had. There were like 30-40 WW2 vets from some sort of ww2 veterans organization there and any time it got quiet you could hear them quietly sobbing. The looks on their faces as we filed out after the movie was something I'll never forget.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

IRONIC you use BETTY since her ENTIRE ENCOUNTER was a remembrance of the outer limits episode THE BELLERO SHEILD :smug:

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

D-Pad posted:

lmao nice avatar
lmao

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

when all u have is an authentic ww2 history hammer then every problem looks like saving private ryan

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

D-Pad posted:

I will actually say that watching Saving Private Ryan in theaters was probably the most intense theater experience I ever had. There were like 30-40 WW2 vets from some sort of ww2 veterans organization there and any time it got quiet you could hear them quietly sobbing. The looks on their faces as we filed out after the movie was something I'll never forget.

Dunkirk in theater was basically an hour and a half long anxiety attack

ruled

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

Pryor on Fire posted:

sorry i was ON that landing craft when the door opened and took an arrow to my knee, thats why i stopped adventuring

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

fictional intelligence officer, people think jack Ryan.
real intelligence officer, basically Ernest cline

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Just lmfao at the last page

Thanks y'all this was a good way to wake up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Watched Vast of Night, it was excellent.
What was the other movie mentioned in this thread recently?