Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rorac posted:

So I know the Paragon and Doom are strong ships, but gently caress me that was a fight. I have an extra 60 seconds of peak time on the paragon, and I was running down to the last 2 minutes. I had to call the Doom and Bansihde (bascially a Falcon with a phase cloak) to retreat due to damage and risking malfunctions. 10 minutes of nonstop combat in this game is actually kind of mentally taxing.

Hardened subsystems doom with officer with systems expertise is your friend. Dooms are your "anti-chaff" and will turbo murder pirate and church fleets with support because they got poo poo PD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I kinda love taking 4x tach paragon against pirates, as long as you prioritize targets correctly (and be careful not to overkill) it's like playing a game of space invaders.

Zap zap zap.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Something I think that this version has finally got right is skill thresholds.

Previously I would take the effort to modify the fleet DP limits of skills because they felt annoying as hell.
Now by removing them and/or increasing the limit while lowering the effect, the game feels fine enough that I don't feel the need to.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Psycho Landlord posted:

Going full Rosenritter fleet is probably the most powerful thing in that mod now that the author nuked the super-scaith. Which is good, because giant space robots own.

I've still never found the loving carrier that gives you the blueprints or whatever.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Larry Parrish posted:

I've still never found the loving carrier that gives you the blueprints or whatever.

It always spawns in a black hole system so you can deliberately hunt it down that way.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If you're really stumped you can search your save file to find the location - ctrl-F "Halbmond" and poke around

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tarezax posted:

If you're really stumped you can search your save file to find the location - ctrl-F "Halbmond" and poke around

I'm just gonna savescum it like this on my next run probably. I've played with Tahlan for hundreds of hours and never once seen it lol.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Man this game is good. Pew pew spaceships

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm just gonna savescum it like this on my next run probably. I've played with Tahlan for hundreds of hours and never once seen it lol.

I usually find it easily because black hole systems seem to hold more research stations, so I search them preferentially.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Holy moly these Blade Breaker guns are nutso. Insanely OP expensive but well worth the asking price, including fighting the bastards in the first place.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Some of them are real good, others are boondoggles. It's neat.

Their fighters are near universally absurd though. I think the only one that doesn't really perform for its cost is their lovely little drone batch.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Carcer posted:

Try fighting the paragon with an equivalent DP worth of your own fleet, you can deploy your own ships in sim battles to try fleet actions if you want. Or for a more accurate experience, deploy 200 (or whatever half your DP limit is) DP worth of your own ships VS a paragon + remaining in whatever high tech ships you want.
Even though I don't necessarily agree with Arghy on this one, shield shunts make this pretty easy:

https://i.imgur.com/5Mefkqm.mp4
If you add a defensive specced officer to the mix, the Paragon can't even go through its armor

Bonus shield shunt shenenigans, this time with officer:
https://i.imgur.com/JL2Ib5O.mp4
So yeah, shield shunts. They're really good you guys

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

toasterwarrior posted:

Holy moly these Blade Breaker guns are nutso. Insanely OP expensive but well worth the asking price, including fighting the bastards in the first place.

Put those large UAC on a conquest and watch it broadside snipe half the fleet.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Exodee posted:

Even though I don't necessarily agree with Arghy on this one, shield shunts make this pretty easy:

If you add a defensive specced officer to the mix, the Paragon can't even go through its armor

Do it in a legion.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Exodee posted:

Ooooh i didn't even think about the armor possibilities considering if you get that yellow line skill that repairs ships for free if they didn't take much damage. I'm trying to think about common anti armor weapons i run into but it's mostly missiles and kinetic weapons. Now i know what to do when i have too much money and nothing to spend it on i'll create an all armor fleet.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

[Hegemony shipyard]

Me: [chanting] legion, legion-

Other Admirals: legion, LEGION

Nanoforge Overseer: [pounding her clipboard] LEGION, LEGION, LEGION!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

also lol

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Carcer posted:

Do it in a legion.
Sure!

https://i.imgur.com/IAqKCn1.mp4
Had to get slightly creative since regular bombers don't work too well against a fortress shield, but those Warthogs were surprisingly effective (and survivable!)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Exodee posted:

Had to get slightly creative since regular bombers don't work too well against a fortress shield, but those Warthogs were surprisingly effective (and survivable!)

Bombers in general are pretty meh right now, imo. Warthogs are crazy good in swarms and especially when paired with shieldcracking line ships.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

shield shunt is wonderful for any AI controlled ship because it removes their preference for shields over output

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

wrecks can be recovered - but not if I lose the battle

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Exodee posted:

Honestly this was the thing that amazed me the most

Excelzior posted:

shield shunt is wonderful for any AI controlled ship because it removes their preference for shields over output

The AI's tendency to try and get cute with cutting/raising shields is its number one problem imo.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Arghy posted:

Ooooh i didn't even think about the armor possibilities considering if you get that yellow line skill that repairs ships for free if they didn't take much damage. I'm trying to think about common anti armor weapons i run into but it's mostly missiles and kinetic weapons. Now i know what to do when i have too much money and nothing to spend it on i'll create an all armor fleet.
Yeah, reapers are pretty much the only thing that can give me pause, so good PD is important when you take this route. (Notice how the only real damage my Dominator took was from a torpedo salvo, even plasma cannons only barely scratched its paint)

Fortunately armored weapon mounts + a ballistic rangefinder makes most small PD weapons highly competitive. Even a regular ol' vulcan can easily take down a couple reapers on its own this way, provided it isn't distracted. Though of course if you're going the shield shunt route anyway then double-mg's are going to add a lot of kinetic damage up close.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Shield Shunt is a lowkey top tier skill but the baseline sim paragon also runs lovely nose autopulses instead of something scary unfortunately

E: Though I think one on one a properly kitted all armor Onslaught can still win against a quad lance paragon as long as it starts landing hits first to get some flux up

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

There's some crazy pirate builds that have a buttload of armor which is why i run torpedo bombers but even then they take such a beating before going down it's crazy. I thought about building in heavy armor to my XIV legions just because it was the most economical use of the points but i didn't and now i regret it. Does solar shielding still work even with no shields?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Shouldn't it be in a Radiant? :thunk: Or is that the joke

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Arghy posted:

Does solar shielding still work even with no shields?

It should. Unless the mod specifically says what systems it affects it'll be global.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

Shield Shunt is a lowkey top tier skill but the baseline sim paragon also runs lovely nose autopulses instead of something scary unfortunately

E: Though I think one on one a properly kitted all armor Onslaught can still win against a quad lance paragon as long as it starts landing hits first to get some flux up

Sim ships also don't get access to officers or s-mods so they're always a bit off from what a real fight would be like, especially when it's involving high-end stuff like a paragon.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Speaking of officer talk, always a good time to post this classic.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what incredibly expensive built-in mods does the SIM paragon get

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

You could call it a SIMP

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

I don't even think autopulses are necessarily bad, though probably not the best choice for the paragon because it doesn't need the flux efficiency, the biggest oddity is that it only mounts two of them, if you're mounting them I would put four on and slap the expanded mags in, they can do a lot of damage if you loose a full volley, same as the onslaught TPCs but a bit lighter.

Those demos also, I think, illustrate why I don't value the paragon too much for its durability, because real durability comes from having a number of ships that can rotate out, the paragon in a fleet setting is very hard to overwhelm because it should be able to hold out for its support to come rescue it, but most ships can do that if you build them right, so its exceptional personal durability I don't think counts for much. Still absolutely think its range is the biggest perk, especially with lances as you can direct intense firepower at any target over a massive area, super good for steadily blasting apart enemy ships regardless of how good their positioning is.

E: also loving lmao at the dominator, it brings me right the gently caress back to the old Venture before he made the changes to make it less of a giant loving brick.

No lie I kind of miss being drowned in an endless tidal wave of Ventures.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 5, 2022

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I may try Warthog spam on the Astral

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

I may try Warthog spam on the Astral

Astral is the one ship where bombers are still clearly superior because of the Recall Device. You want heavy fighters like the warthog on other carriers as they have tons of staying power because of not needing to rearm.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I love the hegemony auxiliary Venture from the mod that adds more auxiliary ships, it’s a tough fucker that’s great for filling the screen with ordnance.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If anything I would probably suggest a heron, targeting relay is very good for fighters as they spend maximum time on target. Also very good for bombers as it can make their strikes absolutely insane, but good for fighters too.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Yeah, Its impressive you can do that to a onslaught/legion buts not a particularly fair fight. I suppose that's on me for setting the challenge like that, though.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

gently caress it, Im Neural linkin' a Spire and Astral

Ive become a multi phase boss fight

edit: nm, 25 op lol

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 5, 2022

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I don't even think autopulses are necessarily bad,

No autopulses are legit great, they're just a terrible gun to stick in the nose of a giant slow battleship that has to turn to bring them to bear and has a unique hullmod that rewards beams much more than it does projectile weapons.

The simagon is not going to be like a Paragon you meet leading a fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

whats the blade breaker's deal anyways