Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my massage therapist emailed me saying she was positive and so she was cancelling my appointment, but asked whether I wanted to come in five days after a negative test lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

brugroffil posted:

I wonder if people are still trying to defend this move?

I think it is clear they are going for a controlled herd immunity via infection move without explicitly saying so.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

MikeC posted:

I think it is clear they are going for a controlled herd immunity via infection move without explicitly saying so.

I mean isn't that pretty much the only thing left? There's no controlling the spread of Omicron in the US, it's here and it's going to spread and burn itself out no matter what the Fed tries to do.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Jigsaw posted:

Edit: and before anyone says "well, she wasn't vaccinated," as though that somehow justifies blaming the victim
I mean, it kind of does though. She put herself at higher risk of serious illness the same way someone who doesn't wear a seat belt puts themselves at higher risk of injury. The risk profiles for the vaccinated vs unvaccinated are completely different and we shouldn't be treating them the same way.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

MikeC posted:

1) "controlled," lol

2) uh yeah not sure signs point to "herd immunity via widespread infection" is actually achievable or any less stupid than it was back in 2020.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
Immunity through purposeful infection is a great plan. Here's why:

(1) There aren't countless hundreds of thousands of Americans who have comorbidities or who are immunosuppressed for mild omicron to sweep through like a scythe through the grass.
(2) There is absolutely no reason to expect the virus to mutate ever again, so any immunity obtained through infection will be permanent.
(3) Covid only causes acute respiratory symptoms, so there is zero risk of long-term damage from any infection.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

People still with the "COVID is a one-time thing" mindset in 2022. Incredible.

e: VV I don't know how you'd even know that at this point. You'd have to genetically sequence the first and second infections to be sure they weren't just one infection and it's only been, what 6 weeks or so of global spread?

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 5, 2022

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
People have already had omicron twice anecdotally I think, if anyone has data on that it'd be great but I've been hearing of people getting covid twice separately just since Omicron

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

How are u posted:

I mean isn't that pretty much the only thing left? There's no controlling the spread of Omicron in the US, it's here and it's going to spread and burn itself out no matter what the Fed tries to do.

I personally agree. But I respect the fact that others do not.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

MikeC posted:

I personally agree. But I respect the fact that others do not.

You do realize what "herd immunity" means for the immunocompromised and children under the age of 5, correct?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Google Butt posted:

You do realize what "herd immunity" means for the immunocompromised and children under the age of 5, correct?

We all realize it. It is not good.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Here in Richmond VA the schools are breaking down. They were closed Monday due to snow (understandable), Tuesday due to ice (which cleared up in the morning), and today due to "freezing rain" that did not happen.

a redditor - I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this information posted:

There are A LOT of teachers/janitors/food service workers/secretaries out sick right now. Talking to some friends, many RPS schools are reporting as many as 15 absences per building. Typically, we’ll have no more than 3-4. To be frank, there are not enough subs to cover this demand. This amount of absences is enough to close schools (yes, this happens). Can’t blame RPS for wanting to rebrand this staff shortage day as a “snow” day.

another redditor posted:

Not just IAs but teachers on their planning as well, as well as just splitting up classes to make some teachers have 35ish kids in a room or admin watching all the teacherless students in a common area (Social distancing?) At least one of my coworkers hasn't had the IA required by their students' IEPs (which is a legal requirement) all year so far due to staff shortages and moving the IA to cover other classes. Sucks for a lot of teachers and my coworkers and I can't be the only ones in the situation across the city. Source: I teach in an RPS middle school.

This kind of thing is the reason the CDC trying to shift to 5 days out. There's not enough staff to cover hospitals/schools/fire and EMT/truck drivers/etc. etc. unless they force employees to work while positive. Frankly I've seen a lot of people ITT up in arms about the change in policy but nobody has offered any solutions to actually keep basic services functioning.

Personally I've gone full Open Biden, after seeing how drat infectious Omicron is + its preferential spread in mice loving over lockdowns. Unless we can figure out how to get rodents to mask up and social distance we're kinda hosed in terms of actually controlling this thing.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

brugroffil posted:

1) "controlled," lol

2) uh yeah not sure signs point to "herd immunity via widespread infection" is actually achievable or any less stupid than it was back in 2020.
Yeah I'm not sure how this differs from the far right "let er rip" plan from, like, 2020. My only guesses are -

1. They're relying on relative observed mildness
2. Unlike ancestral, there's just no way to fully contain a virus this contagious and so they've given up.

Either way? Not thrilled to be following right wing talking points from two years ago now.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

NoDamage posted:

I mean, it kind of does though. She put herself at higher risk of serious illness the same way someone who doesn't wear a seat belt puts themselves at higher risk of injury. The risk profiles for the vaccinated vs unvaccinated are completely different and we shouldn't be treating them the same way.

Victims of propaganda are still victims. And the article mentions that she was concerned about effects during pregnancy specifically. I know that the CDC recommends vaccines during pregnancy, but I can see how someone not as attuned to following every update from the CDC could think vaccines in general are a good idea but still be concerned about effects specifically while pregnant. Sad situation all around.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah I'm not sure how this differs from the far right "let er rip" plan from, like, 2020. My only guesses are -

1. They're relying on relative observed mildness
2. Unlike ancestral, there's just no way to fully contain a virus this contagious and so they've given up.

Either way? Not thrilled to be following right wing talking points from two years ago now.

The calculus is entirely different. Most countries now have robust vaccination rates. Observations of mildness is either tied to the vaccination campaign bearing fruit or Omicron being less deadly. We were willing to sit out 2020 and 2021 because we were waiting for data and vaccines. They are both hear now. At some point since we failed to kill Covid in the crib, casualties will have to be sustained forever. It will join the list of other diseases which we live, and tolerate casualties with like various strains if influenza that can also be exceedingly dangerous from year to year.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Wang Commander posted:

People have already had omicron twice anecdotally I think, if anyone has data on that it'd be great but I've been hearing of people getting covid twice separately just since Omicron

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I know this got probated but just to be clear, Omicron was identified in late November 2021. There hasn't been enough time for people to have gotten the same variant twice. If people claim they have gotten it "twice" it's just the disease doing the typical COVID thing where there's a few days of feeling sick, a period of apparent clearing up and then a second wave of symptoms.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Better hope those major assumptions of mildness; long-lasting immunity; minimal long term health consequences for overwhelming majority; and the ability of health care systems to sustain regular COVID waves of unknown severity, scale and duration holds.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

brugroffil posted:

Better hope those major assumptions of mildness; long-lasting immunity; minimal long term health consequences for overwhelming majority; and the ability of health care systems to sustain regular COVID waves of unknown severity, scale and duration holds.

It won't be the first time, or the last time, that human beings will experience a mass culling. If you want to panic, worry about when we run out of antibiotics that work and we go back to the dark ages when surgery was gambling with your life.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It's a shame that so many have such a resigned doomer mindset that we can't collectively do what's needed to even attempt to avert disaster.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

brugroffil posted:

It's a shame that so many have such a resigned doomer mindset that we can't collectively do what's needed to even attempt to avert disaster.

And what is that? Honest question, what is your solution to this?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

How are u posted:

I mean a less cowardly state or federal government could do mandatory shutdowns and checks but yes, since we know that's never going to happen, I guess, "do nothing because we live in hell" is kind of the only option available.

It is so disheartening that the 'herd immunity' weirdos who screamed we should do infection on purpose at the outset of this thing are going to get their way. All because the Biden administration has taken the position that the vaccine is a miracle drug that gives us 100% disease resistance.

EDIT: Story time.

I work for a retail company that loves to do the performative poo poo - masks, wiping down counters, the whole lot. We did actually shut down for three months at the outset of the pandemic but 'return to normal' as been the rule since Biden was elected and at this point we're open normal hours and all that poo poo, the only difference is we all wear masks for 8 hours.

Recently they told us to retain personnel from Christmas but not why, but everybody with three braincells figured out it's because the massive wave of callouts that is going to happen in the wake of Omicron. The company decided it would rather float people on payroll, and presumably force us to staff them beyond our normal budget, than shut down for a few months. They have already determined it is a certainty some or all of us will be infected. That's so loving grim.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 5, 2022

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

brugroffil posted:

So, I know "herd immunity via widespread infection" is a charged subject, but I'm honestly ignorant and curious here: shouldn't it now be a bit more achievable (if still stupid) than it was in 2020?

Most people are now vaccinated. I know vaccinated people can catch and spread it, but do they spread it less than unvaccinated?

In terms of people who have been infected, I know reinfection is possible, but is it at least less likely?

I guess my question is, doesn't all this add up to slowing transmission eventually? Or do the numbers not add up, or is that "eventually" ridiculously far in the future?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Youth Decay posted:

Just as I don't have a fully fleshed plan to solve global warming but know that it is shaping up to be very bad as we do nothing but blithely accept and accelerate it, I do not have a fully fleshed plan to fix COVID at this point. However, because I am not a doomer, I don't think resignation to mass global infection for an indefinite (infinite?) number of future waves is a good idea. I understand that some disagree, and still cling to the hope of "do nothing, get 'herd immunity'".

e:

Eiba posted:

So, I know "herd immunity via widespread infection" is a charged subject, but I'm honestly ignorant and curious here: shouldn't it now be a bit more achievable (if still stupid) than it was in 2020?

Most people are now vaccinated. I know vaccinated people can catch and spread it, but do they spread it less than unvaccinated?

In terms of people who have been infected, I know reinfection is possible, but is it at least less likely?

I guess my question is, doesn't all this add up to slowing transmission eventually? Or do the numbers not add up, or is that "eventually" ridiculously far in the future?

Highly vaxxed areas are still seeing huge omicron surges. Hopefully the highly vaxxed areas don't have their already damaged health care crippled by it, but it kinda remains to be seen.

Globally, most people are not vaccinated. Many billions aren't. Many more who have received some level of vaccination won't have access to boosters for a long time. We don't know what the durability of immunity to omicron is for vaccination, boosters and/or infection. And there's no real indication that SARS-CoV-2 is out of space for more changes that could evade whatever WT/delta/omicron immunity a 'herd' may have.

It is possible that omicron will remain dominant, that it will remain relatively mild, that eventually enough vaccinations and infections will reduce the crushing burden on health care and repairs to the years of damage can be done. It's also possible that things continue to stay bad or even get worse. The world, especially the wealthy industrialized world, should have been erring strongly on the side of caution from the start. Unfortunately, most of it did not and much of it that did are now resigned to giving up in the face of delta and omicron.

I sure do hope that the 'herd immunity' crowd, which has only grown in size since 2020, is right. I don't know where they'd be getting confidence in their position, though.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 5, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Youth Decay posted:

I would like to see the first test and first n95 mask from the US government put into the mail.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

Lockdowns, rent and mortgage moratoriums, groceries provided to households, and money given to everyone for expenses

It sounds impossible but we literally did it already the only reason people are saying we can't is because Biden said no

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Are any of the pharma companies even talking about omicron specific development at this point?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

the only reason people are saying we can't is because Biden said no

Nah. It's a tad more complicated than that.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

brugroffil posted:

Are any of the pharma companies even talking about omicron specific development at this point?

Last silver bullet I saw was the army vaccine.
I think pharma is happy to keep pumping their current poo poo out until it completely stops working because R&D ain't cheap and something is better than nothing

How are u posted:

Nah. It's a tad more complicated than that.

The reason it's not national rhetoric is because he as the figurehead of the party said it's forbidden. The actual reasons that trickle down into that decision is whatever but it should be the rallying cry of the party that say it's the one that doesn't put money over people

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 5, 2022

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

I have two kids in two different schools. While there's masking requirements, and both are vaccinated, they still do things like, say, eating lunch in a big cafeteria. And needless to say kids aren't generally in N-95's.

They started back in person yesterday. I am giving us until the end of the week, max, before one brings it home.

my kids aren't eating or drinking at school and have been in kn94s since school started back. Big breakfast and we drop them off/pick them up so they don't ride the bus and bring snacks/water bottles. Schools are cracking down hard on proper mask wearing here, teachers have at least figured out bribery works to keep kids wearing their masks correctly (lot less chin straps and dick noses, if kids are 'caught 'wearing them correctly they get a jolly rancher, which I guess you can suck on while masked so not the worst idea) and my kids say its working. They still reported like four teachers out each. Education has been pretty barebones as well.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Last silver bullet I saw was the army vaccine.

I'm gonna need more than a DoD puff piece to convince me that thing actually exists.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

OddObserver posted:

Make the Party able to take credit for beating COVID. People don't really matter for regimes like that.

I don’t think the governments of the United States, Canada, and Europe care about people’s lives either.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nm

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Luckily, omicron is mild and hospitalizations are only increasing linearly, albeit with a gradually increasing slope:

Now supposedly the hospitalizations are milder on average, but if omicron progresses more rapidly than delta (this preprint reports median 2.8 day stay for omicron vs 5.4 for delta, in Texas), shouldn't hospitals also be clearing out faster unless daily hospitalizations are growing more rapidly? (which they are in NJ/NY, although both states tend to revise their numbers from the last 2-3 days with some regularity).

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

mdemone posted:

I'm gonna need more than a DoD puff piece to convince me that thing actually exists.

It was phase 1 trials. Phases 2/3 were still a couple of years off I think, normal vaccine timelines

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

brugroffil posted:

Globally, most people are not vaccinated. Many billions aren't. Many more who have received some level of vaccination won't have access to boosters for a long time. We don't know what the durability of immunity to omicron is for vaccination, boosters and/or infection. And there's no real indication that SARS-CoV-2 is out of space for more changes that could evade whatever WT/delta/omicron immunity a 'herd' may have.
I meant the US when I said "most people are vaccinated" but that's a good point. Honestly, even in the US the numbers I looked up said only 20% are boosted.

Lockdowns, rent and mortgage moratoriums, groceries provided to households, and money given to everyone for expenses

It sounds impossible but we literally did it already the only reason people are saying we can't is because Biden said no
Are there countries successfully pulling that kind of thing off? It sounds like things are going to hell everywhere, and it would be nice if there was something other than China we could point to as the way to actually do it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
There’s no earthly way of knowing
Which direction we are going
There’s no knowing where we’re rowing
Or which way the river’s flowing

Is it raining, is it snowing
Is a hurricane a-blowing

Not a speck of light is showing
So the danger must be growing
Are the fires of Hell a-glowing
Is the grisly reaper mowing

Yes, the danger must be growing
For the rowers keep on rowing
And they’re certainly not showing
Any signs that they are slowing

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I ended up letting my kiddo go back to preschool today, after holding him out on Monday. They seem to be taking it very seriously and have increased NPIs at the school (snack time now splits the kids among multiple rooms so they can all be far apart when eating, etc.)

I'd rather keep him out, I think, but he was pretty upset about not going on Monday. He's had two jabs now, although the last one was on 12/31, so he's not fully vaxxed yet.

I have to say that I'm not real impressed with his mask, though. The first ones we got him had a removeable 2.5um insert; of course, he removed and played with it so welp. We just got him some new masks and they're made of a shiny/smooth material that I can see light through when holding them up. I tried the blow test with them and it was no effort at all to blow out the lighter my wife was holding :ohdear:

Where does someone get child-sized masks that aren't garbage? He's 5, so we're talking pretty small.

Of course, the next hurdle will be how to convince him to wear those instead of his Marvel-themed ones . . . I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, though.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
around the time of this post, covid hospitalizations have set a new record, passing the previous trump lame duck era peak of 127k

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

eXXon posted:

Luckily, omicron is mild and hospitalizations are only increasing linearly, albeit with a gradually increasing slope:

Now supposedly the hospitalizations are milder on average, but if omicron progresses more rapidly than delta (this preprint reports median 2.8 day stay for omicron vs 5.4 for delta, in Texas), shouldn't hospitals also be clearing out faster unless daily hospitalizations are growing more rapidly? (which they are in NJ/NY, although both states tend to revise their numbers from the last 2-3 days with some regularity).

There would have to be something really weird going on for hospitalization to grow linearly when cases are growing exponentially. The duration being shorter would reduce the ratio of hospitalizations to cases but it wouldn't make the hospitalization count not grow exponentially.

(the other missing piece is that obviously those numbers can't grow exponentially forever, being milder makes the peak lower)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

James Garfield posted:

being milder makes the peak lower

It being rabidly more infectious would contradict this conclusion and is, in fact, factually untrue already

unless you mean lower relative to what it could have been if it was delta level deadly and omicron level infectious or something but that seems like a strange point to be making

Eiba posted:

Are there countries successfully pulling that kind of thing off? It sounds like things are going to hell everywhere, and it would be nice if there was something other than China we could point to as the way to actually do it.

China and Western Australia are about as hardcore as it comes but we are a wildly richer country that likes to bill itself as the leader of the free world with the best everything so we should have no problem improving on their implementations

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 5, 2022