Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
'who gets a whole-rear end desk from their workplace' people who ask do, jerk.

get them the desk, and stop thinking they're being entitled for standing up for their needs because you think they should be satisfied with the pittance they're getting, that's some loving Bad Manager brain worms

this person is doing the work you need for the business to go, and it's a worker shortage, dumb-dumb. if they are a good worker, you're shooting yourself in the foot denying them a needed resource over....your perception of what is appropriate to request? which appears to be very off-base for what is actually appropriate for folks to request and warped by your delight in simply having power over someone. you're here posting in glee over cock-blocking this desk request thing.

why are there so many petty tyrants as managers jfc

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
'the bad news is bill quit and we're losing money until we replace him, but the good news is, we're saving a couple hundo on not buying a piece of office furniture!'

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Job requirements:
- degree in appropriate subject
- 3 years experience in industry
- must enjoy minimalist desk-free lifestyle

Seriously though he used up sick leave on it? Is he throwing a tantrum or is he… like… physically suffering from lack of appropriate work environment/equipment? I think you’re going to get in quite a bit of trouble if it’s the latter

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

bee posted:

My company is the government and they pretty much suck no matter where you are
:shrug:

Preach

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Son of Rodney posted:

Just lmao being such a brownnose that you'd be on the employers side on this.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
When we went suddenly wfh, my government department employer provided me with a chair, two monitors and all the kit to plug in my govt. provided tablet computer. I could have had a standard issue desk but it wouldn't have fit in the house.

If he's not coming in for most of the foreseeable, just stick his existing workstation in a van and deliver it to his house.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Yeah my game monitor supplyer is government as well. They also home delivered the nice chairs from the office. Home office still sucks for coworkers who don't have space for an adjustable desk, but they did what they could.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Ok, some context. I'm not this dude's manager, I work for the department that orders the office equipment. If you need special text to speech software or a hearing aid compatible Bluetooth headset, or a fancy chair and electric monitor riser because you've got a hosed up back and one arm I've got you sorted. You even get to keep any physical equipment purchased for you if you leave the organisation, or take it home with you if you need to wfh.

No one has asked for a desk. I've had roughly four jobs since wfh became A Thing and I've never been offered a desk, nor did I expect my employer to provide one. Perhaps I am approaching this from a position of privilege, but back when I was living on unemployment there was still a table and chair in my house with room for a computer on it. So that's why I feel the way I do - this guy has the time and capacity to be sending multiple page emails several times a day to our department about his lack of a desk and he's cancelled the ergonomic assessment we've tried to organise on two occasions now, so I find it really hard to believe that he doesn't have a suitable surface in his house from which to computer touch from.

I genuinely had no idea that employers elsewhere provide desks for people to take home to work on until now, and I still find it kinda weird that they would do that, maybe cause here it's a tax deduction. That being said, I do agree with the idea that maybe it would be better to just give this dude a desk so he spends less time wasting his sick leave and more time getting actual work done :(

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

desk workers of the world unite

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

bee posted:

If you need special text to speech software or a hearing aid compatible Bluetooth headset, or a fancy chair and electric monitor riser because you've got a hosed up back and one arm I've got you sorted.

Your problem is you're approaching these requests as being something that only someone with a health issue should get, but you should be providing this stuff to people to prevent them developing a problem in the first place.

Consider a lab worker, do you give him a pair of goggles to wear when he does his work, or do you only give them goggles after they've already squirted something toxic in their eye?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

bee posted:

I genuinely had no idea that employers elsewhere provide desks for people to take home to work on until now, and I still find it kinda weird that they would do that, maybe cause here it's a tax deduction.

It's also not your money, why do you care?

Ask for a desk, extra docks, a chair, etc, and keep all that poo poo when you quit. gently caress 'em.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

When someone on my team moved house from their furnished flat, they were allowed, nay expected, to expense a decent chair and desk, and that was pre-pandemic, when they only worked from home once a week.

Working from home full time requires you to give up a part of your home for working, the very least a company can do for getting that rent-free space is to furnish it with the bare minimum required to do the job.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

So your job is to provide people with the equipment they need to work comfortably yet you refuse to order this man a desk so he can do just that? Sounds like they could fire you and use the savings to buy everyone a new desk.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I'm trying but failing to see any motivation for asking for a desk for work other then if one needs a desk for work.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm trying but failing to see any motivation for asking for a desk for work other then if one needs a desk for work.

they might end up using it for non-work purposes like supporting coffee mugs or eating lunch!

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
You all don't need to dunk on the guy who's just some government clerk. Especially when the person who wants the desk cancelled multiple appointments to look at getting him a desk and instead is sending multi-page screeds to the requisition department.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Drunk Nerds posted:

Former Workplace Safety Insurance Board guy or something?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Keep going, you're about to bust the ringleader of the desk black market wide open.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 5, 2022

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Barudak posted:

To be honest, they mean absolutely gently caress all and don't reflect whats actually happening, but not knowing what they mean in marketing is sort of like being unaware of the fact santa brings presents as a professional mall santa

yes but it wasn't only that- a lot of weird acronyms get thrown around in Marketing, especially when its "agile"- we've been using these terms to describe our plans for months and she just yesterday thought to ask what the terms meant.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Initially my work started off with “no way we’re working from home” until things were getting bad, so we got kicked out essentially with not much time to prepare, so a lot of people in my department didn’t have good setups for some time at home. I was lucky enough to have a desk and stuff already, but a few people were stuck working in their bed or couch only for a few weeks

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Artonos posted:

You all don't need to dunk on the guy who's just some government clerk. Especially when the person who wants the desk cancelled multiple appointments to look at getting him a desk and instead is sending multi-page screeds to the requisition department.

Yeah, like... The dude should be able to get a desk, but the OP might be trapped in some kafka-esque purchasing policies. Hell, an old employer pre-covid required a doctor's note to get anything special even if it was for in the office.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The pro move is to distract people with things like $100 vouchers for your WFH office so they think wow a hundred bucks and don't give any further thought into things like purchasing or laws and regulations.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

bee posted:

maybe it would be better to just give this dude a desk so he spends less time wasting his sick leave and more time getting actual work done :(

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

When we got kicked out in March 2020, I told my boss "I need to take home a microscope, a bunch of lab supplies, and some [hazardous chemicals] so I can cobble together a lab in my garage and keep working and also can I have a laptop," and he was like "Yeah, just make sure you can properly vent the garage and use PPE."

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

bee posted:

Desk stuff

My company gave everyone a WFH stipend to get things they needed. If that happened to include a desk, they could buy a desk. Chairs can be taken from the office, or bought with the stipend.

I'm in charge of ordering office supplies for my department. My director is SOOOO cheap about it. One manager asked about ordering glare screens for her monitors, and got the response of "tell your rep to move her screens out of the glare."

But we pretty quickly figured out that if you keep the orders under $100, she never sees them. Glare screens were ordered...as two separate orders each for one screen. Ergo keyboard breaks? If it's just the stands, there's a repair kit that costs $35. If it's the keyboard itself, all but one model can be had for under $100.

I had a rep send me a request for a new mouse, pens, and $23.00 3M recycled post it notes. The mouse was fine. Pens? Well, OK, as part of a bigger order, though I generally won't order those just on their own. $23.00 post it notes? Dude, no, you get the $6.00 packs I order and you happily use at the office. I also threw in a 4 pack of AA batteries for the mouse to keep him from getting mad about that.

Basically, I'm not going to spring for top of the line stuff that's better than what you have at the office, but I also don't think it's right to make people who make $40-65K a year buy expensive equipment out of their own pocket either.

Rech
Dec 26, 2011

I dont even work from home but I still stole a big desk and a 1000€ chair from the office. Nobody was using them so might as well take them home. :shrug:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Rech posted:

I dont even work from home but I still stole a big desk and a 1000€ chair from the office. Nobody was using them so might as well take them home. :shrug:

This goon gets it

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Rech posted:

You didn't steal them, you midnight requisitioned a big desk and chair.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

let them eat desks

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
My wife works for the county Job & Family Services. She's been working from home for a year. Their phone solution? Sign up for Google voice and install that on your personal phone. So she gets transcriptions of customer calls with PII like SSNs or death threats related to welfare fraud on her personal device. She just has to make sure she doesn't goof up when she dials out or customers will have her personal number.

I'm sure the state and federal government are totally cool with this solution.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

bee posted:

My company is the government and they pretty much suck no matter where you are
:shrug:

Procurement for local council and gov here is usually an absolute nightmare and was a major factor in going back to the private sector.

My company were kind of lucky, we'd been stockpiling desks and chairs for our big, fancy new office that was under construction in early 2020 so we were able to give people office furniture because it was already paid for and it made more sense to send them out as no one really expected the construction to be complete by the original Q1 2021 date.

Most of the requests were from people who had a one person home office type set up but with 2/3/4 people all having to WFH it made sense to send out kit to avoid any disruption that would arise from them having to operate some kind of desk timeshare. If they're asking for a a standard "No Frills" desk that's not too big of a deal. Of course we had some chancers sending us £2000 desk requests and the response was always "we can send you the same desk we use in the office. Do not buy that expensive desk and put it on expenses, it will be rejected".

Why did they cancel the assessment?

blackmet posted:

$23.00 3M recycled post it notes.

"Your request for this £65 limited edition Moleskine notebook has been rejected"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
How hard is it to buy a spare desk/chair/monitor/mouse etc from the sally-anne and expense it? You can outfit a whole home office for about $100 (minus the laptop/tower).

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
It's not my decision whether this guy gets a desk or not. No one gets a desk provided for them for at home use, unless they have a disability that means they need a specific desk to meet their access or inclusion needs or their disability means that they are working from home on a permanent basis, which this employee doesn't have or hasn't disclosed. The government makes this decision, not me.

The expectation is that if you're going to working at home, you're responsible to provide whatever gear you need outside of your computer. Like the poster above's wife, I am currently wfh and using my personal phone to make work-related calls. I don't receive a stipend or allowance for my internet, power, or anything else, but I do claim it as a deduction on my tax.

Again, to the best of my knowledge it's not a common thing here for an employer to supply desks but obvs I've been brainwashed into thinking that's normal because capitalism? It's me, I'm the dumb poo poo your work does

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This wfh home poo poo is hosed beyond belief.

My gf is a call-center worker, she takes ethics and complaints calls for lots of companies around the world, with interpreters and the whole nine.

They sent her a tech and her PC to our apartment back in 2020. I bought her her first desk until that broke. She bought a massive L-shaped desk for the new office (2nd bedroom) I got for her last May when we moved. That was really fun to assemble and the keyboard tray is already broken off (of course.)

Just in the last few months AT&T has been dropping service at my residence and she was losing hours of work and threats of discipline. Over AT&T not maintaining my broadband. I have had that resolved finally, after AT&T figured out it was *not* my gear.

Guess how much her company has contributed to those desks, and my monthly broadband bill, which they demand be a certain level of service and will fire her if she cannot keep it reliable? They give me dick. They put nothing in here paycheck for this and I cannot say a goddamned thing to anyone about it.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

bee posted:

The expectation is that if you're going to working at home, you're responsible to provide whatever gear you need outside of your computer. Like the poster above's wife, I am currently wfh and using my personal phone to make work-related calls. I don't receive a stipend or allowance for my internet, power, or anything else, but I do claim it as a deduction on my tax.

we get it you're a good little boy who follows the rules jeeze louise enough already

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

bee posted:

It's me, I'm the dumb poo poo your work does

Yes, exactly. Just drop it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

bee posted:

The expectation is that if you're going to working at home, you're responsible to provide whatever gear you need outside of your computer.

And that’s not an unreasonable expectation when the employee is hired to permanently work remotely.

However, when an employee is forced by the employer to work remotely - whether that’s on a temporary basis or a permanent one - they should be compensated for the resources they didn’t sign up to provide.

What’s happening to you and the poster you’re replying to is bad. It might be legal, depending on where you live, but it’s not an ethical way to operate or treat employees. And it’s hostile to your best employees - the ones who are too honest to just go find a doctor willing to say that their spine will Lowtax out without a sit/stand desk and force a medical accommodation.

It’s fine your hands are tied. That sucks. It’s firmly “dumb poo poo your work does.” But the guy’s request isn’t inherently unreasonable, even if he’s perhaps pursuing it in an unreasonable manner.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Screenplay idea: a "Modern Robin Hood" story about a mild mannered office worker laid off during the pandemic. Disillusioned with modern society, his personality changes and he starts a brand new life of noble crime: office furniture redistribution. Traveling across the nation, he absconds with desks, chairs, and even cable modems, and gives them to downtrodden work-from-home staff. Corporations and government offices alike find themselves had by this wily outlaw adored by the people. Editor's note: work in a steamy romance plot with a thicc "naughty-librarian" type who works the "inside woman" angle at a major office center.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The librarian is also a lizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Tangential:

I knew something like this had to exist so I went looking for it and SURPRISE it does:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIxY_Y9TGWI