Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Bleck posted:

A goon's favorite Zelda is the last one they played before they got depression.

This is probably why Ocarina is my fave. I'll never play another Zelda as a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

BotW's seen pretty harsh reevaluations in the years since release, so it'll be interesting to see if taking so long to make a glorified expansion pack comes back to bite them

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
BotW is probably the closest to the first Zelda of any game in the series, so really it's the most Zelda game and all the other Zeldas like LttP, LA, OoT, and MM are fake Zeldas. Really it'd be more appropriate to call them Zeldalikes.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Bleck posted:

A goon's favorite Zelda is the last one they played before they got depression.

Joke's on you I played BotW well into my 30s

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Postman posted:

What Nintendo Switch game is everyone starting the year off with?

I've been playing Streets of Rage 4 and Subnautica

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

tp is the best 3d zelda
I prefer OOT but that's probably just nostalgia. Also TP suffers from the 2006 era "every video game has to be dark and brown" syndrome.

It does have some of the coolest items and by far the coolest dungeon (frozen mansion) in the series.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The Postman posted:

Paper Mario (N64)

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Motto posted:

BotW's seen pretty harsh reevaluations in the years since release, so it'll be interesting to see if taking so long to make a glorified expansion pack comes back to bite them

has that actually happened? I see people on message boards critical of it occasionally but I feel like critical consensus around that game is still very very positive

Stux posted:

tp is the best 3d zelda

it's pretty good, I would like to play it on my nintendo switch

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

botw is the only Zelda game I have started but didn't care to finish.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Smash Bros talk...

So, I never finished spirit mode/board, because I didn't really care that much and couldn't figure out how to even use spirits in the main game, but then I JUST learned that you can make a team of them, and THAT'S what you use in other battles.

:eyepop:

Also, since I got the Minecraft DLC for the game, I had those spirits to get, too.

Again, :eyepop:

So, now I have a new-found reason to not only best Spirit mode, but to play the spirit board in general.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I didn’t really care for BOTW but I also wouldn’t call myself a diehard Zelda fan.
Hell I finished TP which apparently everyone hates but I liked it more than BOTW

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

The Postman posted:

metroid dread. just 100%d it and now playing a new file on hard. got stuck almost immediately and am baffled where to go next where i had no problem the first time. :cool:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm the weirdo who thinks OoT is a mid tier Zelda game at best that's inferior even to LttP. Anyway Link's Awakening is the best 2D Zelda game and best Zelda game overall, and Majora's Mask is the best 3D Zelda game. These are my bad Zelda opinions.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

the wording "inferior even to lttp" implies that lttp is not one of the greatest games of all time.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

LttP is one of the greatest games of all time, and that implication wasn't intended, I just was trying (and failing) to say that they weren't able to make OoT as good as or better than an SNES game.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Majora's Mask is the worst, I had far more fun with Spirit Tracks.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

American McGay posted:

I prefer OOT but that's probably just nostalgia. Also TP suffers from the 2006 era "every video game has to be dark and brown" syndrome.

It does have some of the coolest items and by far the coolest dungeon (frozen mansion) in the series.

the spinner MUST be returned to the fold in botw 2.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

getting a lot of mileage out of this image

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

neato burrito posted:

Majora's Mask is the worst, I had far more fun with Spirit Tracks.

:imunfunny:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ages is the best but not by enough to be a tier over the rest of S

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I'm being serious! :bahgawd:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

has that actually happened? I see people on message boards critical of it occasionally but I feel like critical consensus around that game is still very very positive

It’s still highly regarded and is a top 10 game of the decade for me. But people who don’t like it are very vocal about it.

It’s similar to Hollow Knight. Universally acclaimed but the people who don’t like it, really don’t like it (I personally couldn’t get into it).

Also for 2021 I’m finally starting Dread and am having a blast! Also Ring Adventure again because goddamn I need to exercise.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hollow Knight > BotW > Bloodborne

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm playing A Short Hike and it's fun and charming and has made me feel better when I play it, I feel like I have a depressive stretch coming up and maybe I can avoid it if I'm proactive. Lots to talk about at therapy this week, that's for sure.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

i am using this post to practice calm acceptance and keeping a peaceful mindset in an increasingly insane world.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The Postman posted:

SMTV as soon as my copy gets here! :argh: loving Amazon.

Chas McGill posted:

I finished BotW last night. Beautiful game, amazing experience. Second only to ocarina of time in the series.

It's better than OoT actually.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ocarina of time is middling so that isn't saying much

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Link to the Past in B tier sure is a take

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
drat they make a lot of good Zeldas

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Spring Break My Heart posted:

drat they make a lot of good Zeldas
They should make more.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

b_d posted:

i am using this post to practice calm acceptance and keeping a peaceful mindset in an increasingly insane world.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

The Postman posted:

Finishing off some SMTV and OoT stuff, starting Paper Mario and will try out Astral Chain soon.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Israel and Palestine will break bread before we agree on a definitive Zelda tier list.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think I might just have recency bias because I think Link Between Worlds and BOTW are the best

Ocarina is very noteworthy historically, and I would never say it's anything but good, but in terms of going back and playing it, it's not really in Mario 64's class in terms of "Is this still fun today?"

To be honest, as much as I like BOTW, I would like to see them make another "old style" 3D Zelda that takes the best elements of the dungeon based chapters and makes a total package out of them. Those games are all good in one way or another, but they're kind of uneven in a way that it doesn't feel like they ever took that style to it's logical conclusion. So something that looks as good and has as much personality as Wind Waker, that has, has dungeons and gadgets as good as what's in TP, has cool systems like Majora, etc.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Link to the past set the benchmark but has been outdone by nearly every 2D Zelda that came after it. Middle of the tier list is where it belongs

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

hatty posted:

Link to the past set the benchmark but has been outdone by nearly every 2D Zelda that came after it. Middle of the tier list is where it belongs

Kinda like Chrono Trigger, then? And SMB3?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

cheetah7071 posted:

You're a wild one for saying Twilight Princess is better than LttP, but I respect it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
gas this thread

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Waltzing Along posted:

Kinda like Chrono Trigger, then? And SMB3?

Yeah, comparing SMB3 to others games on the NES and earlier it’d be at the top but amongst its own series it’s mid to high tier beat out by SMW, NSMBU, Yoshi’s Island, SML2, and if we’re including 3D games for some reason pretty much every game after Galaxy would be above it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

hatty posted:

Link to the past set the benchmark but has been outdone by nearly every 2D Zelda that came after it.

Harsh but fair, since that statement is balanced out by the fact that LttP has outdone nearly every 3D Zelda that came after it (the only exceptions being Majora's Mask and Wind Waker).