Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

sugar free jazz posted:

wtf is happening im so confused

I'm spitballing here but could be the fresh beans have a lot of CO2 and you could use a bloom step.

https://www.taylorlane.com/blogs/read/moccamaster-manual posted:

Step 5: Bloom Your Coffee

This is an optional step in the brew process, but adding a few extra seconds to your brew time will result in an even better tasting cup of coffee.

The Moccamaster does not have a prewet feature, but if you care enough to bloom your coffee, you can still do so.

To bloom coffee in the Moccamaster, let the water heat up and watch for the moment when water starts to pour out and saturate the coffee. Once there’s enough water to soak all your coffee grounds, shut off the brewer for about 20 seconds and stir the grounds. This step is optional, but allowing for that extra saturation time gives your coffee a chance to degas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Using this for espresso, and holy poo poo is it good. Incredible.

It’s the first time I’ve got something that has a truly funky tasting note (watermelon) that I could actually pick out and genuinely has that taste.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

sugar free jazz posted:

wtf is happening im so confused

Double check that the drain… uh… lever on the basket is actually opening all the way. It should be closed, a wee bit, then slightly more than wee bit. I had an issue with one basket where there was a bit or something that never let it drain fully. They replaced it no questions asked.

I can time it tomorrow with just water.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Has Bonavita gone out of business? I was trying to get one of their variable temp kettles and they are out of stock everywhere, and someone on Reddit said they tried to contact their distributor and they said they were no longer receiving new stock from them.

Of course I did the sane thing and bought an EKG instead.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Tried blooming, didn’t make a noticeable difference.

Tested how fast water flowed through the basket. kinda eyeballed about how big a basket of water was then measured it, turns out it’s around 600 grams so I stuck with that.

Took 30~ seconds to drain fully without a filter into the thermal carafe, and about 1:20~ with a filter. The flow looked pretty alright.

melitta filter was slightly faster than the technivorm filter

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

sugar free jazz posted:

Tried blooming, didn’t make a noticeable difference.

Tested how fast water flowed through the basket. kinda eyeballed about how big a basket of water was then measured it, turns out it’s around 600 grams so I stuck with that.

Took 30~ seconds to drain fully without a filter into the thermal carafe, and about 1:20~ with a filter. The flow looked pretty alright.

melitta filter was slightly faster than the technivorm filter

What brew method were you using before? Were you also grinding with the same grinder?

You said it's 10 years old. Have you looked at the burrs recently? Have they ever been cleaned? Are they too worn down and need replacing?

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

sugar free jazz posted:

Mine drained 600ml in 54 seconds, no filter. It isn’t your aperture.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

PolishPandaBear posted:

What brew method were you using before? Were you also grinding with the same grinder?

You said it's 10 years old. Have you looked at the burrs recently? Have they ever been cleaned? Are they too worn down and need replacing?

Same grinder, was doing pourover before, and clean with Grindz every once in a while. Haven't looked at the burrs, pourover always went fine and didn't feel like anything was wrong in terms of the grind so never felt the need. Might be worth checking out now though.

Any suggestions on vids for checking Virtuoso burrs?

E. nothing else weird is going on in terms of it grinding slow or coffee tasting weird or bad in normal pourovers or aeropress as far as i can tell

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 7, 2022

localized
Mar 30, 2008
Does anyone have a recommendation for a quiet burr grinder? I currently have a cheap Mr. Coffee burr grinder, but it is very loud and the beans will seize up in the chute/hopper, causing the electric motor to rev in an irritating way.

However, I like that the hopper will hold a full 12oz bag of beans. I also like that I have dialed in the grind size and volume for my Moccamaster, so it’s only a one touch process to prepare a pot of coffee.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

localized posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a quiet burr grinder? I currently have a cheap Mr. Coffee burr grinder, but it is very loud and the beans will seize up in the chute/hopper, causing the electric motor to rev in an irritating way.

However, I like that the hopper will hold a full 12oz bag of beans. I also like that I have dialed in the grind size and volume for my Moccamaster, so it’s only a one touch process to prepare a pot of coffee.

I have only used entry level grinders, but between the Capresso Infinity I ended up giving to my dad and the Baratza Encore I got later, the Infinity was slightly quieter but the Encore was the better grinder. Neither are as loud as a cheap blade grinder but I wouldn't call either of them quiet.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Anyone have a subscription recommendation that has lots of natural, fruity stuff that rotates a ton?

I’m currently subscribed to drift away, and I like their model and pricing a lot (new coffees every month, ability to customize bag size and delivery schedule, small scale independent, giving back to farmers) but now that I’ve been using them for a few months they haven’t done very many natural processed roasts.

My ideal is lots of natural processed options with a heavy rotation so I get to try something new all of the time. I’m not the kind of person that finds a bag and uses it for 6 months.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Anyone have a subscription recommendation that has lots of natural, fruity stuff that rotates a ton?

I’m currently subscribed to drift away, and I like their model and pricing a lot (new coffees every month, ability to customize bag size and delivery schedule, small scale independent, giving back to farmers) but now that I’ve been using them for a few months they haven’t done very many natural processed roasts.

My ideal is lots of natural processed options with a heavy rotation so I get to try something new all of the time. I’m not the kind of person that finds a bag and uses it for 6 months.

You might try Black & White? They carry a lot more naturals/honeys/anaerobics/etc than most third wave roasters and rotate them pretty quickly, so I would assume their subs feature similar stuff.

I've been happy with the roasts of the handful of things I've bought from them, solid medium-light with nothing undrinkably grassy or lemony and nothing too dark. Actual coffee has been somewhat hit or miss, but largely because I've sought out their weird processes and you can't expect them all to work out super well when it's a farmer doing something for literally the first time.

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 7, 2022

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
My brother surprised me with a Kinu M47 Phoenix grinder for Xmas! In looking for recipes, it seems like people scribe them out as 1.6, which I assume means one full rotation and then six more notches? The "default" setting was almost good for my V60 light roast, anyone have any good settings for other stuff?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

No one can really tell you where your dial should be for good coffee, you just need to pick a ballpark starting point then adjust based on how it brews.

localized
Mar 30, 2008

RichterIX posted:

I have only used entry level grinders, but between the Capresso Infinity I ended up giving to my dad and the Baratza Encore I got later, the Infinity was slightly quieter but the Encore was the better grinder. Neither are as loud as a cheap blade grinder but I wouldn't call either of them quiet.

Thanks, I’ll check them out!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

fourth try with v60, this time with darker beans since our light roast is almost out, and I actually managed to make something with it that my wife even called good not just “okay”, seems like a good progress.

how much does it matter that there was a thin rim of grounds (actual grounds, not just the fines) stuck around the top of the filter when it was all done? the coffee bed itself was flat and the drawdown was even around 3:30 for two cups this time

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

localized posted:

what's your budget? the eureka mignon silenzio is a very good, very quiet burr grinder with a large hopper but it's $500

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ulvir posted:

fourth try with v60, this time with darker beans since our light roast is almost out, and I actually managed to make something with it that my wife even called good not just “okay”, seems like a good progress.

how much does it matter that there was a thin rim of grounds (actual grounds, not just the fines) stuck around the top of the filter when it was all done? the coffee bed itself was flat and the drawdown was even around 3:30 for two cups this time

probably doesn't matter much especially when the coffee tastes fine and is drawing down in a reasonable time

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Megabound posted:

No one can really tell you where your dial should be for good coffee, you just need to pick a ballpark starting point then adjust based on how it brews.

Yet another good line. More philosophical in the grind, less existential in the brew.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

After doing a little googling, a little testing, yeah I'm 90% sure the grinder is the problem. It's the old 585 Virtuoso they stopped selling in 2011 so upgrade kit time.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

ulvir posted:

You stirring the grounds with a spoon as it's drawing down? Try that

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She's trying to make specialty robusta into a thing in the US. I'm curious about getting a bag now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7hw-AFLwII

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

She's trying to make specialty robusta into a thing in the US. I'm curious about getting a bag now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7hw-AFLwII

It has the Bad Robusta Flavor but it's inoffensive compared to burnt rubber you usually see it as. I don't regret trying it, interesting stuff.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I’m ready for having more varietals on shelves that taste good. Monovarietal culture is terrible. Even a ‘lil burnt rubber can be enjoyable.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
There was a café in my (Irish) town that based a lot of their business off robusta beans and they were flying them out the door. The family running it were Italian and made a sort of hybrid Irish/Italian café. They had a kitchen that did pretty decent food and people would sit down for a meal but they had massive turnover in people getting espresso based coffees.

They used Italian style espresso roasted robusta beans and could sell a coffee at about two thirds the price of pretty much every other café, whether espresso, added water, or milk based. We quite liked their coffee (and they absolutely knew how to pull an espresso) and asked about buying the beans. They were selling a kg of Italian beans cheaper than you'd get a kilo of beans even in a supermarket, and they were way better than the supermarket beans.

People seem to scoff at robusta beans, especially if you're only measuring on taste and not other factors, but if you want a lot of cheap beans a good roaster and an espresso or bean to cup machine can produce good tasting espresso drinks at a fraction of the price for "gourmet" specialty beans and get 3/4ths of the way there on taste.

And this café was killing it in my place, something some of the specialty places couldn't quite understand. The thing with the specialty café places was they had a kind of snobby attitude, "our beans are naturally better." And they didn't take into account what the vast majority of people's preferences are. A few more places opened up after the first wave of specialty places here and they definitely took into account what most people liked. Their stuff was more expensive but it was a case of, "You like this type of bean/roast/coffee, try this one that is the zenith of taste in your preference." People who were used to dark roast robusta beans didn't even realise they were getting a medium roast coffee, because it was still strong in flavour and feel, but they were also getting a few more interesting notes on top of it. The café/roasters didn't just dismiss the idea people like a punchy coffee over interesting notes of fruit and fermentation or whatever, instead they find coffees that do both. Now they're flying.

The first group of cafés are mostly doing ok, but their growth is stuck. They have a core of customers who like their "alternative" to what was mostly available. The second group are growing at a massive rate because they don't look down on any coffee preference and work to find the best example of the individual coffee anyone prefers. Similarly, there's huge space for places selling robusta based drinks, sourced from a good roaster with good quality beans, putting out the best the beans can offer at a ridiculously low price, especially in comparison to the other places.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah you don’t actually need super-great coffee to make sweetened coffee-flavored warm milk drinks, which is probably what most customers are there for.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i've been reading about this and really curious how you make it taste good, the only cheap robusta i've found tastes like tar even when only 10% of a blend. just bought some nicer greens that claim to not have said flavor along with some monsooned robusta to gently caress around with and try to roast some second wave espresso

from what i've seen, italian roasters doing old school stuff tend to offer a few different %s robusta, like 20/40/50. too much commodity grade robusta and it tastes like a car tire, but with a good % of brazilian dry or honey + a smaller % of washed central american, you can balance it out into comforting chocolate and caramel and nuts.

even with higher %s of arabica the price stays really low because commodity arabica is still unbelievably cheap for pretty much anyone in the first world, even its recent high remains way under $3/lb. like i looked up home-barista favorite Saka Caffe and their 80% arabica blend is only the equivalent of about $17 for a kilo lol

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 9, 2022

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

withak posted:

Yeah you don’t actually need super-great coffee to make sweetened coffee-flavored warm milk drinks, which is probably what most customers are there for.

Also one of the off flavors of robusta is as far as I can tell just caffeine, so if you actually associate caffeine flavor with your caffeine fix (I do because of caffeinated gum teaching me go taste it in espresso) it hits the addiction circuit really well.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

eke out posted:

i've been reading about this and really curious how you make it taste good, the only cheap robusta i've found tastes like tar even when only 10% of a blend. just bought some nicer greens that claim to not have said flavor along with some monsooned robusta to gently caress around with and try to roast some second wave espresso

I think the reality with lower grade stuff is there's much less of a tolerance if you gently caress up. If you get a really good bean, do a decent roast, and an ok pour or pull, you've already started with a really good bean so you're already a lot of the way there. If you've started with something that is, to a lot people, of far less quality then every stage of your process has to be perfected because there's no room to maneuver with it.

If you use a cheap bean but the roast is perfectly tailored to it and the person behind the espresso machine is poo poo hot at pulling shots, you're already better than 99% of places serving the cheap beans where they don't care about the roast but the deal they got with their suppliers, and there's no person actually making the coffee rather just putting the cup beneath a nozzle and pressing a button on a machine that someone comes and checks over every three months.

You can see the same thing with bars. Craft beer places, for many, serve "good" beers. If I want to get a bourbon barrel aged imperial stout that's where I'll go. If I just want a pint of Guinness (although I'll say macro stouts are still far higher quality taste-wise compared to other macro beers) there are definitely places that serve better Guinness compared to others. And that'll come down to how they store it, how often they clean and maintain their equipment, and their staff pouring it. Why shouldn't the same apply to "macro" coffees?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i mean i'm actually curious what the mechanism is. there's a lot of basically unsubstantiated back and forth on home-barista about italian espresso and why some high-robusta blends taste really good with the robusta providing pleasant wood/booze flavors and others are inescapably rubbery. and there's very little writing/thought on this by third wave specialty types because they'd never come within 10 miles of dark roasted robusta

one popular opinion is that the rubbery flavor compounds benefit from staling (maybe similar to how underdeveloped grassy flavors can fade in very light roasts in positive way)and fade out and that's part of why a lot of italian roasters commonly sell much older coffee than anyone in the US would sell their arabicas. i'm curious about this and going to roast some dark and see how it degrades

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Oh, yeah, ok. I have no clue how they make it taste ok, I just know it did taste fine, and much better than what all the non-specialty stores were selling.

I think it partly goes back to a cultural thing. This was an Italian family running the place and they obviously knew what they were doing, including sourcing their beans, and making everything in a slightly adapted-to-local tastes way, because this was the cultural method of coffee they were brought up and were intimately familiar with. I guess you need to find each of an Italian buyer/roaster/barista and ask them what they're doing, if there are even very many of them able to explain it (with the whole explaining what it is you're doing being very different to simply doing it.) And even more if there's any willing to share because I'm not sure if those types of robusta beans are roasted by the type of small independent places who are more likely to share their information.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Are there any decent smaller form factor, conical burr electric grinders? I don't need a hopper that holds two week's worth of coffee at a time but every decent electric grinder seems to fall in roughly the same size bracket.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Fart Car '97 posted:

Are there any decent smaller form factor, conical burr electric grinders? I don't need a hopper that holds two week's worth of coffee at a time but every decent electric grinder seems to fall in roughly the same size bracket.

Capresso infinity or baratza encore

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fart Car '97 posted:

They're mostly similarish in terms of countertop space since the cheaper ones have big hoppers and catch bins while the pricier ones meant for single dosing have bigger motors and/or burrs. The capresso infinity is probably the smallest stock configuration on the cheap ones, though baratza sells a single dose hopper if the hopper size is the main concern. After that we're on probably looking a price jump to stuff like thats more in the price range of the Fellow Ode (flat burr) or Niche Zero.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

The Lagom Mini is reveiwing very well and is very small and cheap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9XRGJL3p1U

https://www.option-o.com/shop/lagom-mini

Slower than a Niche but apparently every bit as good in the cup.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I am going to have about 2k to spend on an upgraded espresso setup. I've been rocking a Baratza Preciso for years and have been happy with the grinder but I want a step up.

The machine I've been running, a Breville Infuser, has been fine as well, but I want an upgrade there too.

If you had two grand to spend at Clive Coffee, and typically pulling shots only and not many milk drinks at all, what would you be going after?

It seems like the Eureka Specialita or the Oro single dose along with the Lelit Victoria would be good fits. Any thoughts?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Finally got my machine last night.

While trying to dial it in I was finding that tamping the puck with anything more than the weight of the tamper itself would seize up the shot. So I just distribute best I can, pop the tamper in, and spin it.

Started trying 20g in the double basket, then slowly dialed it back to 15g. So my current dose is 15g in, 40ish out @30ish seconds per shot. Tastes pretty ok, not sour, not too bitter. I'm using Lavazza Super Crema right now.

Bu tI also gotta tell on myself: after finally getting a decent shot and making an ok latte, I clogged my grinder. Forgot I used my usual weighing cup to purge the steam wand and the beans were wet. Tried to grind another shot without paying attention and fully blocked up the grinder. Had to do a full teardown, and the grind chute was completely impacted with what felt like plaster of paris. Then I had to rebuild it twice because I did something wrong the first time.

It's working great now though. While I had the grinder open I did the "adjustment" trick on the retention collar to get finer grinding settings and I found a pretty good setting again after re-dialing it in.

Now I'm three drinks in so far today and will probably not be sleeping.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Can someone give me a breakdown on these Flair espresso presses? Are they legit?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Google Butt posted:

Can someone give me a breakdown on these Flair espresso presses? Are they legit?

Yeah they make great espresso. A few pages ago there’s one guy talking about them.

I tried one and returned it. I didn’t like the preheating I had to do and the workflow wasn’t great for me.

I bought a cafelat robot and I like it much more. No need to preheat and the workflow works better for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Big grain of salt alert: I'm still less than a year into this hobby. I've only ever used Flair, but a neighbor who is a bean roaster can vouch for the quality of my shots.

It's the classic "cheaper, bigger PITA brew, less PITA cleaning / maintenance" that also applies to manual grinders.

I started with a Neo which was nice for small doses but I recently upgraded to one that can take the Pro 2 portafilter so I have the option of doubles. That's where I'd start if I were new to espresso and didn't mind a 10-15 minute process. I'm down to 15 minutes to pull two 13g doses including cleanup.

There's a lot to learn and get right, but if you do then you'll pull shots that rival $1,000+ automatics. This is because you can control temperature and pressure, and you can adjust shots if they don't feel right. This also means you can properly extract light roasted e.g. Ethiopians which feels like stealing Ambrosia from Olympus.

I've heard mixed things about the Flair 58. The larger puck diameter means you can use the thousands of accessories out there, but one of the benefits of other Flairs is exactly the narrow puck size, which is less prone to channeling. The 58 also has some electric preheating, which takes a while but simplifies workflow especially for back to back shots.

I'm happy I never have to worry about descaling or pumps / thermostats / whatever breaking, but I know I can't efficiently serve more than 4 guests efficiently. Other thing to note is for milk drinks you'll need a separate device. I like my results from the Nanofoamer but I will probably end up with a Bellman or similar. Also Flairs can't fit the really high end coffee scales underneath without jury rigging something. Doesn't affect me since I just use a $15 small scale with a timer.