Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It will count steps as move activity, but not exercise activity for the purposes of challenges or filling your exercise ring.

Losing streaks to weird glitches is how I broke my addiction to getting badges and rings. As long as I get my heart rate up for 30 minutes a day I've done my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It definitely counts them for the exercise ring, my walk to work is good for 20-25 minutes in that respect. It’s why I have my exercise target set to 60 minutes since I get 45 or so just going to and from work.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All I can say is that I walked 10km yesterday evening and my counts only reflect the measly few km it recorded so either I'm doing something wrong or the "challenge" counts are separate from actual ring counts or something.

Anyway, I'm not TOO fussed over it really, in the grand scheme of things. My REAL complaint is that Apple thinks I should be marching 400km in a Canadian winter in the first place I guess, so maybe this was just me screaming into the void.

Part of me wonders if this is someone actually thinking these challenges up, or if there's an algorithm and I'm actually just loving myself when it thinks "ok well he did 400 let's up it by 25%"

My favourites are the ones where day one and two are one challenge, and then it inexplicably changes to another challenge on day 3+. That's what made me think that there might be some actual oversight of these challenges but I'm not too sure. I think the last one that disappeared was something like "close your exercise ring every day this month" and it then changed to "close all three rings 25 times".

The smart thing would be to break my slavish habit to these challenges but eh, I'll humour them for now. If this one gets too tedious or dangerous I'm not really going to stress out over it if I fail.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

All I can say is that I walked 10km yesterday evening and my counts only reflect the measly few km it recorded so either I'm doing something wrong or the "challenge" counts are separate from actual ring counts or something.

Anyway, I'm not TOO fussed over it really, in the grand scheme of things. My REAL complaint is that Apple thinks I should be marching 400km in a Canadian winter in the first place I guess, so maybe this was just me screaming into the void.

Part of me wonders if this is someone actually thinking these challenges up, or if there's an algorithm and I'm actually just loving myself when it thinks "ok well he did 400 let's up it by 25%"

My favourites are the ones where day one and two are one challenge, and then it inexplicably changes to another challenge on day 3+. That's what made me think that there might be some actual oversight of these challenges but I'm not too sure. I think the last one that disappeared was something like "close your exercise ring every day this month" and it then changed to "close all three rings 25 times".

The smart thing would be to break my slavish habit to these challenges but eh, I'll humour them for now. If this one gets too tedious or dangerous I'm not really going to stress out over it if I fail.

It’s gotta be an algorithm

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah it's algorhythm based on past performance, so it's always pushing you to do more in the area than the past. So my January one is 24 perfect days since my best on that front is 23.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Definitely an algo. I’ve had walk more than 500km, but I’m on my feet at work a lot (and it definitely counts non-workout walking for me). The challenges escalate until you basically hit a killscreen, then roll back to something reasonable again.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's pretty hosed tbh. There's no way to win this game and I should just give up. The gamification of this kind of feeds an unhealthy obsession to complete these despite maybe not being super safe to do so, and I think I need to keep that in mind. Still sucks to drop a year+ of good momentum, because, let's be honest, it's total mood killer when you have to break a great streak.

I'm going to TRY for this near-400 goal just because I seem to be frontloading enough right now to make it "reasonable" for the second half of the month, but I think this is basically my limit. After this it's like, I have to quit my job to walk more, or start at 3am.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I get out of bed 5 days in a row, my watch is like ‘good job buddy. We didn’t think you had it in you.’

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

njsykora posted:

It definitely counts them for the exercise ring, my walk to work is good for 20-25 minutes in that respect. It’s why I have my exercise target set to 60 minutes since I get 45 or so just going to and from work.

Wait, I thought you couldn't change the exercise goal, just the move one... which now I can't figure out how to do either.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’m not letting no goddamn computer tell me what to do!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bobstar posted:

Wait, I thought you couldn't change the exercise goal, just the move one... which now I can't figure out how to do either.

In the Activity app on the main rings screen if you scroll down you can change all 3 goals.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Martytoof posted:

That's pretty hosed tbh. There's no way to win this game and I should just give up. The gamification of this kind of feeds an unhealthy obsession to complete these despite maybe not being super safe to do so, and I think I need to keep that in mind. Still sucks to drop a year+ of good momentum, because, let's be honest, it's total mood killer when you have to break a great streak.

I'm going to TRY for this near-400 goal just because I seem to be frontloading enough right now to make it "reasonable" for the second half of the month, but I think this is basically my limit. After this it's like, I have to quit my job to walk more, or start at 3am.

Once the escalating monthly goals got too much, I just ignored them. My goal is to set a reasonable move value and close all three rings every day. 600 cals move, 30 mins exercise (which I usually do 45 minutes of a walk or ring fit, or half an hour of exercise bike) and the 12 hour stand.

I wish Apple would allow people to schedule rest days or more “focused” days (e.g. some days have higher ring goals than others).

The point of a workout regime is to (IMO) do something that you can stick to on a routine basis. Challenging yourself is fine, but don’t set yourself up to fail. A goal like that is setting you up to fail. So just tell the watch to gently caress off and just complete your rings, because that’s really more important (IMO).

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

kefkafloyd posted:

Once the escalating monthly goals got too much, I just ignored them. My goal is to set a reasonable move value and close all three rings every day. 600 cals move, 30 mins exercise (which I usually do 45 minutes of a walk or ring fit, or half an hour of exercise bike) and the 12 hour stand.

I wish Apple would allow people to schedule rest days or more “focused” days (e.g. some days have higher ring goals than others).

The point of a workout regime is to (IMO) do something that you can stick to on a routine basis. Challenging yourself is fine, but don’t set yourself up to fail. A goal like that is setting you up to fail. So just tell the watch to gently caress off and just complete your rings, because that’s really more important (IMO).

I agree. Would be nice to have some carry over so it looks at your week rather than day to day.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Do all bands generally work no matter what minus some of the older smaller faces? I used to have a S3 42mm and my new S7 45mm the Nike band works perfectly. I haven't tested my knock-offs yet but if they all fit too then I'll save some money.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Vintersorg posted:

Do all bands generally work no matter what minus some of the older smaller faces? I used to have a S3 42mm and my new S7 45mm the Nike band works perfectly. I haven't tested my knock-offs yet but if they all fit too then I'll save some money.

Yeah, they haven’t broken backwards compatibility yet. There are 2 Watch sizes, big and small, and big straps fit big watches basically regardless of generation. (But so don’t go thinking 41 mm straps will fit old 42 mm watches…)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Honestly it’s one of the reasons I got rid of mine and got a Garmin. It kept getting more and more ridiculous.

This averages out to 225 exercise minutes a day over 30 days.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

njsykora posted:

In the Activity app on the main rings screen if you scroll down you can change all 3 goals.

Wait I just remembered I have a Series 2 with whatever the last version of software is that that can run. So that might not be a thing for me.

And I can't check the version because it's started dying in under 12 hours without doing anything taxing. Might be time for a new one soon

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Martytoof posted:

In the proper thread now:

I almost threw my Apple Watch across the road today.

If it makes you feel better I want to fastball mine on a regular basis because of how much rear end the spotify app is at streaming via cellular.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wish they would just put the option for having the album art there. I'll swipe for the track if I want.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It’s a relief to see people taking this approach to watch fitness tbh. I decided I’m not going to push this month. I front loaded enough long marching that I can finish out the month with only the exercise I’d normally have done, but if I miss a day and fail the challenge then too bad. I’m not going to be doing any last minute death marching to make it up.

Can’t believe I was so hung up over a badge.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tim Cook is going to be reviewing the fitness tracking summary report on Feb 1 and when he gets to your name he is going to shake his head in disappointment.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

I wish they would just put the option for having the album art there. I'll swipe for the track if I want.

They could make this the only change for WatchOS 9 and no one would complain. Let me have the iPod nano 6 experience again dammit.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The day iPhone got rid of album art being The entire background I was legit furious. It’s, IMO, a part of why vinyl came back - we want to see this art!!!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

The day iPhone got rid of album art being The entire background I was legit furious. It’s, IMO, a part of why vinyl came back - we want to see this art!!!

The reason I've seen is that they think controls and notifications are more important.

But I agree. Album art has the background was great.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I started to get back on filling the rings daily but I really don’t care about the stupid awards unless it’s really easy.

I just need to get my counts in since I’m trying to lose some lbs :shobon:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The one thing I wish they’d add is a circular face that has a large digital time in the middle and complications around the circle. Sort of like the Infograph face but instead of an analog dial, it would just have the time. I’ve basically set it up now with the digital time at the top of the Infograph but it still can get obscured by the hands.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I haven't bothered even looking at the monthly challenges any more.

It's basically uint curGoal = prevGoal * 1.15 in to perpetuity. It's real dumb.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The complications situation is really loving annoying, I can basically only use Modular because no other face can display the widgets I want in the style I want. Having two modes of complications was a horrible idea, and no configurability or "backwards compatibility" makes it even worse.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

xzzy posted:

The complications situation is really loving annoying, I can basically only use Modular because no other face can display the widgets I want in the style I want. Having two modes of complications was a horrible idea, and no configurability or "backwards compatibility" makes it even worse.

It's the only usable face I've ever found if you're wanting info at a glance, which is the reason I use an Apple Watch. They all either lack useful complications or the Siri face which just showed me a bunch of useless poo poo day after day. The new faces they've put out the last few years were either cargo culting traditional watch layouts or some attempt at function over form- remember that "artist" bullshit? They've really leaned in on the decorative over informative.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I wonder how many engineering-hours went into that dumbass changing-face… face

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

The one thing I wish they’d add is a circular face that has a large digital time in the middle and complications around the circle. Sort of like the Infograph face but instead of an analog dial, it would just have the time. I’ve basically set it up now with the digital time at the top of the Infograph but it still can get obscured by the hands.

The “World Time” face can sort of be this but I’d say it sounds like it would look busier than you’d like.

Same goes for solar dial set to digital but can also be somewhat busy.

:shrug:

..ohhh and I don’t think either of those faces are on anything newer than an applewatch4.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Snuffman posted:

The “World Time” face can sort of be this but I’d say it sounds like it would look busier than you’d like.

Same goes for solar dial set to digital but can also be somewhat busy.

:shrug:

..ohhh and I don’t think either of those faces are on anything newer than an applewatch4.

No, I have both of those available, but never saw the digital option. The world time is very busy like you said but I’ll give it a shot for now. But that’s pretty much what I want minus the world time stuff (and in its place a larger time font), so thank you very much!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Went for a couple of scuba dives today and obviously didn’t take my watch. Is there anyway to get some Move credit for this?

It should be around 2.5k kj which is significant but adding manual data to the Activity section on the Health app didn’t add to Move.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Probably not

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Actually you can manually add a workout (I chose Other) and it does give you credit and even exercise minutes. Just takes like ~30mins to sync up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Solar digital watch face is my go to watch face. Has widgets, time and seconds , and looks nice IMO.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Mickey Mouse and never looked back.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm boring, I just rock Meridian. Analog watch faces are superior though.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Red_Fred posted:

Went for a couple of scuba dives today and obviously didn’t take my watch. Is there anyway to get some Move credit for this?

As an aside, I've wished Apple would make a version of the watch with a built-in dive computer ever since I got my watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

This is exactly what I’m wanting too. There’s a Nike watch exclusive face that I think is going to fit the bill for me so I ordered a Nike 7 to replace my 6. I’m just hoping it’ll let me modify the complications. Dunno why it wouldn’t….