Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

gently caress you, Wilbur.

I wonder if they've leaned to hard into making Wilbur a piece of poo poo because readers like hating on him.

I'm here for Wilbur being a complete trainwreck of a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mary Worth almost has me popping popcorn, what the hell

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I am not falling for the mary worth trap again !

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

CommonShore posted:

Y'know I'm too lazy to do edits but as an effort poster elsewhere I know how silence feels so I'm going to resolve to comment more about strips I like.

I'm trying to do the same so thank you to everyone who does the work to put strips up every day. The historical ones, the translated ones, the ones I hate read (gently caress YOU WILBUR), I appreciate all y'all very much.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Lol fuckin grown rear end manbaby throwing a loving tantrum.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

lmfao @ Wilbur. Just about how I expected it would go

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

davidspackage posted:

I hope Mary claws her way over the railing, soaking wet and hair full of seaweed, to convince Estelle she must marry Wilbur.

"Settle, Estelle," she urges as she wrings out the hem of her sweater. "It's better to be with someone who doesn't respect you than ALONE!"

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

rannum posted:

im going to kick the football this time for sure

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Fear gets you into gear (31/1936)

not pictured: Jesse Owens

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hel posted:

I thought the thread head canon was that he was actually Dustins own kid.

I think that's just me. The theory doesn't seem to be as popular as my "the Tinkersons are background civilian characters on a crime procedural" theory.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Why the gently caress do these people know this? The initial accident of "car hits child" was probably in the local papers but they wouldn't have run an article saying "victim of car crash from a month ago found to have lost some memories" because who cares? They can't have gotten it from the doctor who treated Sarah because that's a gross violation of HIPAA, and also this press conference just got called like five loving minutes ago so even if Rex wanted to use the "My daughter suffered memory loss so she can't have copied this guy's works" defense there's no way it would be public by now.

God drat this comic is an incredible train wreck of awfulness. Please don't stop posting it, I mean that sincerely.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

The moment I saw Wallace in the second panel I couldn't help but bust out laughing. Wallace rules.

rannum posted:

Ha, I didn't even fall for it the first time! But it's going to be fun to watch people in this thread slowly get their hopes up once again that maybe this time, Estelle will actually dump Wilbur for good, only to see those hopes fall into despair a second time.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Honestly it feels like the Mary Worth team has backed themselves into a corner. They get a lot of attention from Wilbur being lovely, they know everyone loves to hate Wilbur, but if they show Wilbur getting his comeuppance or facing permanent consequences, that well dries up. (And "a lot of attention" is relative here - we're still talking about Mary Worth.)

Come to think of it, it really feels like the last storyline was heading for a different ending, and then abruptly changed so it could be extended into this one. Seems like it wasn't planned.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako: New chapter, back to the "present"!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I get it, I get it, we are Estelle, desperate for a morsel of affection/entertainment and the Mary Worth strip is Wilbur, a boorish oaf who promises they can change but is in the end, a boorish oaf

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

Honestly it feels like the Mary Worth team has backed themselves into a corner. They get a lot of attention from Wilbur being lovely, they know everyone loves to hate Wilbur, but if they show Wilbur getting his comeuppance or facing permanent consequences, that well dries up. (And "a lot of attention" is relative here - we're still talking about Mary Worth.)

Come to think of it, it really feels like the last storyline was heading for a different ending, and then abruptly changed so it could be extended into this one. Seems like it wasn't planned.
Knowing the structure MW generally follows, it is strange that we got the Mary Worth Victory Lap last week and now instead of moving on we seem to be starting a new arc with the same characters facing the same issues. We should be getting introduced to the next one, or seeing one of the short intermission ones that are resolved in a week or two.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Prediction: Wilbur falls off the boat while drunk and drowns.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
This is ridiculous even past the time Wilbur was being outsmarted by a cat pissing in his chair. Hope there's an actual payoff or it's just kinda blatant Wilbur milking. You're welcome for that combination of words, dear readers and the entire English language.

Jucika "486 - Jucika As An Extra"

"487 - Jucika And First Aid"

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Prediction: the strip catches up to pandemic time and Wilbur and Estelle wind up trapped on a plague ship denied entry at any port for years. They reconsile and break up every few weeks. Mary advises the pets to the point where they start fighting too.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hostile V posted:

Prediction: Wilbur falls off the boat while drunk and drowns.

I had that thought also; we can only hope.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Hello, I am Zamboni Rodeo and sometimes I make edits.

I never said they were good edits.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I'll be real, it's better than the original Zofie's World. ZW isn't a bad idea but it's also incredibly one-note and hasn't really done much to execute its concept well.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

where do i sign up

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! January 26, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True January 28, 1919

Gay and Her Gang February 6, 1930

Oaky Doaks July 8, 1936

Mopsy September 15, 1937

Up Front October 19, 1944

Dark Laughter June 3, 1950

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Employment_Practice_Committee

So It Seems March 21, 1952

Those Were the Days November 21, 1957

Wee Pals March 30, 1966

Dogbert October 20, 1966

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Wilbur is the only good part of Mary Worth.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Knowing the structure MW generally follows, it is strange that we got the Mary Worth Victory Lap last week and now instead of moving on we seem to be starting a new arc with the same characters facing the same issues. We should be getting introduced to the next one, or seeing one of the short intermission ones that are resolved in a week or two.

It was a decoy Victory Lap to fool you into thinking the arc was finished. A real Mary Worth Victory Lap is never over so quickly.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days November 21, 1957

Don't think I don't see that your/you're mixup, Beeman

In Luann I'm honestly hoping for a little wisdom fron Ms Phelps to Bernice. I think it will end up being along the lines of "let people figure out who they are and make their own mistakes" but what we all really want is "shut the gently caress up you smarmy sophomore psych major"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

live your best life, office worker guy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Countblanc posted:

live your best life, office worker guy.

I like how his friends get it.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

ChaCha Chako: New chapter, back to the "present"!

Has someone tapped Studio Ghibli for a Chako adaptation yet

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

riderchop@Athena:/mnt/c/Users/Ariel$ bash ck.sh
On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

davidspackage posted:

Has someone tapped Studio Ghibli for a Chako adaptation yet
Q-Rais himself did some short animations of early Chako strips, but he's taken them all down. (Apparently, he'd like to do more animation - he went to film school and used to work in production and editing - but there's even less money in it than comics.) There is this, though.

More seriously, the Nausicaa influence on ChaCha’s design in particular is one of my favorite touches in the comic.

Giant Ethicist fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 6, 2022

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Axa

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Aaaaaaaand I'm back! I should have been back over a week ago but the Covid flight cancellations screwed me over pretty bad so I'm just now back home. I am so behind on so many things right now. :negative: Anywho, today it's just the current comics to get us back to the present. I'll start posting the old ones where I left off tomorrow to keep things manageable. Apologies in advance for how long this post may get

When we last left Crabgrass Miles had convinced Kevin that Santa was real and they are now working to get him back on the good list.

:same: but with people telling me about their dreams.

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 6, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
And now the remaining Blind Alley strips.

https://kumerish.com/blind-alley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/5/02

Brenda Starr 12/4-6/47

Smokey Stover 6/17/45

"Watch on the Rind" is going pretty far for a pun even by Holman's standards.

Everyday Movies 9/20/34

Selachian fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 6, 2022