Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

If you're getting toys for the baby to play with as they get older, do the parents a favour and get the kid quiet toys, specifically toys that don't rattle or talk endlessly or that require batteries without which they would be otherwise functionless. You most likely will end up striking gold and getting the kid something cuddly and cute that they'll adore, and also you won't be driving the parents insane by dropping off a toy that makes the same noise over and over as the kid plays with it for hours on end. Also a surefire way to ensure the parents don't grow to hate you which they most likely will if you're giving the kid a giant toy with only 3 catchphrases it says all the time on a loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

My last period was two and a half weeks ago, why is this happening now? I’ve always had a longish cycle! And I’m not even stressed!

Also my brain keeps refusing to accept it, so I have no tampons on me, and every time I feel a creeping damp I just assume it’s ovulation wetness and am surprised when I go to the bathroom. The combo of ADHD and schedule disruption are bad enough already, why can’t my brain get it together enough to not ruin my underwear

E: update, my husband’s gf is having the same thing! Clearly he’s either been cursed and/or has cursed us somehow.

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 9, 2021

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Implant is gone. Pretty easy and painless.

They won't give me anything other than basically the same stuff, due to family history of breast cancer and blood clots, so I'm gonna give it a break for a bit and then see what non-hormonal options are out there...

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I stopped my prescribed birth control which has changed me as a human. I'm not nearly as cranky, I'm able to concentrate again, and I don't spend entire work shifts sobbing at nothing.

Since I was only taking it for hormonal acne, oh well.

Unfortunately this means my cycle is all hosed and I've had to bring heating pads to work because I'm cramping like crazy and have a blood tsunami going on. Hopefully, this won't be a permanent change as I used to be able to schedule vacations by my absolute clockwork cycle.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Had a horribly stressful weekend with work drama, which usually doesn't bother me, almost to the point of tears many times.

Oh, right. Guess who's coming.

Why don't dudes have to deal with poo poo like this. loving genetic certainty.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Nettle Soup posted:

Implant is gone. Pretty easy and painless.

They won't give me anything other than basically the same stuff, due to family history of breast cancer and blood clots, so I'm gonna give it a break for a bit and then see what non-hormonal options are out there...

I think for LARC the copper iud is the only non hormonal option. For short term obviously there's condoms, and non-reversible gets you into tubal territory if you can get it.

If your periods aren't bad normally though, the copper iud is pretty great. I had my last one (a paragard, which I think is the only one available in the US) for nine years and it was perfect for me. They're approved by the FDA for I think 10 or 12 years, and (if this is a concern for you) fertility returns to normal right after removal. When my midwife asked if I'd thought about postpartum birth control I said I wanted another one almost before she'd finished the question.

If your periods are normally hella crampy or heavy, it might not be for you. The biggest side effect is making both of those things worse.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Emily Spinach posted:

I think for LARC the copper iud is the only non hormonal option. For short term obviously there's condoms, and non-reversible gets you into tubal territory if you can get it.

If your periods aren't bad normally though, the copper iud is pretty great. I had my last one (a paragard, which I think is the only one available in the US) for nine years and it was perfect for me. They're approved by the FDA for I think 10 or 12 years, and (if this is a concern for you) fertility returns to normal right after removal. When my midwife asked if I'd thought about postpartum birth control I said I wanted another one almost before she'd finished the question.

If your periods are normally hella crampy or heavy, it might not be for you. The biggest side effect is making both of those things worse.

Agreed on all points, I’ve had mine for 7 years now and I sing its praises to anyone who’ll listen. My periods were pretty light to begin with though, so YMMV as Emily said.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I used to not get the ovulation cramps but now it feels like a pinball machine in there. I don't know if it's cause I'm getting older or I'm not on BC anymore or I had a kid or what. So cool that I get twice monthly cramps though :thumbsup:

cool kids inc. posted:

I stopped my prescribed birth control which has changed me as a human. I'm not nearly as cranky, I'm able to concentrate again, and I don't spend entire work shifts sobbing at nothing.

Yeah this is why I'm not on BC anymore.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Cervical smear this morning. My cervix hurts and I've been bleeding a lot ever since. Yay.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm looking at starting on nuvaring soon and it looks like you can just skip having periods entirely on it?? All the stuff I'm finding online is written like "if you want to have a period, just take it out for a week and you'll bleed from withdrawal from the hormones!" and I just cannot comprehend actually intentionally deciding to have that happen when you can avoid it just as easily.

And this is with using a menstrual cup which is about as close as you can get to not having a period while still having one, it's still inconvenient thought and I'd rather not!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Got my first menstrual cup today! Trying it out later and hoping it’ll be a nice change from tampons and the odd pad

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

teen witch posted:

Got my first menstrual cup today! Trying it out later and hoping it’ll be a nice change from tampons and the odd pad

I've been using them (by which i mean maybe three total over the whole time) for over a decade now and it's one of the best things I ever did for myself, very happy to troubleshoot if you need.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Same; I've been a devotee since I was 20.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Also same. Which reminds me I should dig mine out for whenever my period returns.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I was cleaning out a drawer and found my lunette and diva cup that I don't use (pretty much only ever use my moon cup). Thought to myself, these are cool colours wonder why I stopped using them? And when my period started I went with the lunette instead. Turns out I don't use them because for whatever reason I can't get them to break suction and can't get them out. I had a half hour long battle with my lunette which I ended needing to lube everything up with oil and use a long thin implement to help lever it out while pulling the bottom of the cup with my other hand. The Moon cup is just slightly more rigid so it breaks suction easily and I can get it out with one finger and no effort at all. I do have short fingers which was part of the problem.

I guess my point is despite visual similarities there are a lot of differences between cups so if the first one doesn't quite suit you, try again with a different brand. Also probably make sure not to stuff them right up so that you get a hickey on your cervix trying to pull it out.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
So far so good, though I’m petrified that it’ll suck out my IUD somehow. Mines has measurements on it which…ok was not expecting that, but good to know??

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just had a period with continuous palpitations from beginning to end.
It was awesome fun!
No medical interventions, just a 100% natural mid-40s period. Seems like it might be a perimenopausal no egg release period, since the palpitations went on for way longer than usual, and apparently if an egg is not released, the hormone fluctuations are a lot weirder.

This was a fun post to write since all the autocorrects were extremely bad and wrong, since the source material is 100% men in their late 20s/early 30s

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I tried using a Diva Cup and I couldn't get it in there

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Cup-talk is making me all jealous that you guys can use internal things comfortably. Cups and tampons make me cramp, even extra-slim/small ones, so I'm stuck with pads, period underwear, and rags. The rags get used at home since they're so bulky, but I actually like them otherwise. (They wash pretty easily, not that it matters if they're stained; Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap truly is magic.)

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Is anyone else just not into the idea of cups or even tampons? I've never really been comfortable with the mechanics of tampons or cups so when they come up in the these threads I always feel like a weird prude. It's not physically uncomfortable for me, I'm sure I could deal with with it, but mentally I don't like it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Me, it's only been within the last year or so I've even tried tampons, the idea just weirded me out too much to bother.

Horror stories about toxic shock and such didn't help either.

On another note, I was due to have a period a couple after I had the implant out, and it still hasn't arrived. Little worrying, but google assures me it's normal.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Cups and tampons make me cramp, even extra-slim/small ones, so I'm stuck with pads, period underwear, and rags.

That's interesting. I have MUCH worse cramps when I use pads. Tampons are a huge relief.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Is anyone else just not into the idea of cups or even tampons? I've never really been comfortable with the mechanics of tampons or cups so when they come up in the these threads I always feel like a weird prude. It's not physically uncomfortable for me, I'm sure I could deal with with it, but mentally I don't like it.

Me as well. The idea of using tampons always freaked me out, plus a general lack of education on them until I was maybe 16 in Sex-Ed. Cups are another thing I have a serious lack of education on even today.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I used to have horrible endometriosis periods but have been on depo for almost a decade now. I can't even describe the relief at not having periods anymore. But most people don't usually have periods that are so painful that they faint. Yay endometriosis! My new Dr wants me off the depo though. I'm scared. If she takes me off I'm going to demand a full hysterectomy.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It took me about a year of hearing about cups to go from "ew seems weird" to actually getting one. And then there was a pretty long learning curve to be able to get it in and out reliably and painlessly.

I've become less of an evangelist for them since getting to my mid 30s and mostly talking to other people about my age. I think the calculation of effort vs convenience is quite different when you start using them in your early 20s and get a couple of decades of convenience vs switching in your mid-late 30s when you probably have already worked out other things that work for you.

Having said that I still love it. I literally only have to think about my period for maybe a minute in the morning and another minute in the evening at most, I don't have to think about buying period products, I don't have to worry about having a surprise period while travelling as long as I chuck a cup in my bag. I do suspect I'm more likely to get cramps using one than not but even if that's the case it's still worth it.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Tampons would always become uncomfortable rather quickly for me and I hate everything about pads. The concept of period panties also freaks me out. Fabric you sit on that somehow won’t stain everything your rear end touches?

If you had to empty your cup out midday, away from the comfort and privacy of your own home, then it would probably be a huge hassle. But once in the morning and once at night and feeling nothing in between is as close to not having any period at all that I’ve come to. I’ve never noticed more cramping with mine, and I am also mid 30s.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I tried the cup once, and I do a lot of lifting and bending at work, and apparently didn't have the fucker in right, because it had tilted and spilled. As much as I hate them, pads seem to work the best for me, because I do a lot of public restroom breaks at work.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
guh, three days into my yellow pills and and insane attack of hives hit me
ended up just skipping out on the last half of the yellow pills because I was not dealing with bleeding on top of HIVES EVERYWHERE

and if it turns out I'm allergic to menstruating now, I... don't even know

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've got a paragard IUD and I use a cup. I hated tampons because my period is really variable. Day 1 could be the red tide and day 2 will be nothing and day 3 will be back to massive clots so like... i could never match up the severity with the right flow range but cups just ignore that. There's no dryness involved and even on super heavy days I never need to deal with it mid work day. just morning, after work, before bed. I've tried a few different sizes, brands, styles. Started with a diva which was fine but ended up eventually with a lunette i think?

Anyway, yah. total cup evangelist. I never found a pad that didnt leak either so like. idk. Cups just feel magical.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I just never clicked with cups. I tried a few and it just wasn't my thing and I found them all uncomfortable. I've got some decent cloth pads that don't feel like diapers and those work pretty decently for me.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Good news: the menstrual cup seems to be working nicely!

Bad news: I bleed, like a lot. Like I’m emptying every four hours and it is FULL. The cramping is real strong and ever since Sept, every period has gotten shittier and shittier. Contacted the clinic here and am awaiting a response but lord knows it’ll be a bit. And good god does it make me exhausted at the drop of a hat.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Ugh i missed a dose of bc cause i was throwing up sick and now i got my period because of it. It's really cramping my style i was supposed to meet a guy this week :gonk:

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

teen witch posted:

Good news: the menstrual cup seems to be working nicely!

Bad news: I bleed, like a lot. Like I’m emptying every four hours and it is FULL. The cramping is real strong and ever since Sept, every period has gotten shittier and shittier. Contacted the clinic here and am awaiting a response but lord knows it’ll be a bit. And good god does it make me exhausted at the drop of a hat.

You should not be bleeding that much. That's seriously dangerous and your Dr can fix it. And because of your cup you now have hard data on exactly how much you're bleeding. Drs always like precise data.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I like menstrual disks, which are basically just diaphragms that act like menstrual cups. I like them specifically because there's minimal vacuum seal. I like lumma. That little string makes removal easy as pie.

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 7, 2022

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Welp, you just convinced me. I've always held back from trying a cup because I have an iud and accidentally sucking it out of place sounds like the worst possible thing, but no suction plus a little string to help get it out? Hopefully it gets here in time for some practice before I fall to the communists again.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I cant do cups and tampons for reasons so I'm stuck with pads.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Hutla posted:

Welp, you just convinced me. I've always held back from trying a cup because I have an iud and accidentally sucking it out of place sounds like the worst possible thing, but no suction plus a little string to help get it out? Hopefully it gets here in time for some practice before I fall to the communists again.

I've had IUDs since 2010 and have always used a cup with no issues, I promise!

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

I've had two copper IUDs spontaneously expel themselves after three years of use, but I think that might just make me a freak. They didn't happen during a period, and my dr was of the opinion that the cup was not to blame.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Yeah I hate cups but I never worried about using one with my IUD when I had one.

Still not quite sure how I feel about the nuvaring. It's not terrible but my period doesn't start until the very end of the period where you're supposed to have the ring out and it's very annoying. On the other hand I still occasionally have sex with cis men so I want to be sure I'm covered. The pill absolutely makes my anxiety so much worse and I don't want a 3rd IUD or the implant at this point so this plus condoms seems like my best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry emu
Aug 25, 2011

I thought my period was over because there was basically nothing yesterday, overnight and before work this morning.

As I learned when I went to the bathroom at work shortly after arriving, it was Not Over. It was a full flow day again and I was played by my uterus.