Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Teaser for the next chapter: boats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2e8SCyb2mc

Reveal is Jan 27

Time to max my pirate kitty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Sucks that it's looking to be Breton-focused. Would 100% reinstalled if it was Redguard focused.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

How much game is there here if I’m interested primarily in gathering/crafting and then selling my creations? I’m aware of the crafting bag limitation and don’t mind paying the sub fee if I’m having a good time, but often with MMO crafting I find there are very few actually in-demand items worth working when it comes time to sell anything to players. That or all the in demand crafts are locked behind raid/PVP drops or something.

Anno fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 5, 2022

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Anno posted:

How much game is there here if I’m interested primarily in gathering/crafting and then selling my creations? I’m aware of the crafting bag limitation and don’t mind paying the sub fee if I’m having a good time, but often with MMO crafting I find there are very few actually in-demand items worth working when it comes time to sell anything to players. That or all the in demand crafts are locked behind raid/PVP drops or something.
Gathering, a lot. Crafting some, but you're really playing a market game, not a crafting game.

Crafting gear is locked behind two things: Crafting skill, which is easy to level up, and trait research which takes 6-9 months since it's actually time gated (with some shortcuts, but still a long time gate). The gear set crafting stations are all over the world, but many guilds have all the crafting stations in their guild halls. So outside of the research part crafting is very accessible to everyone. That means the crafted gear market caters mostly towards lowbies leveling up and meta players who can't be bothered. It's a consistent market, but not too varied.

Crafting furnishings is the other crafting market (there's also a potion and food crafting market). This requires furnishing plans so your potential buying audience is bigger, but a lot of people don't do housing. Furnishing plans can be found or bought. I don't really know how this market works, other than it's definitely there and there are a whole lot of expensive things in it.

There's always a market for mats if you want to play the farming game.

Nothing crafting related is locked behind PVP or trials, except a couple of obscenely rare food recipes.

I don't know if the crafting market on its own is all that interesting, but there are definitely players whose main gameplay is selling as a whole and crafting can be a solid part of that. The lack of an auction house means the economy game is rather complex even with addons to help.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
You also need to be in a guild that has a trader to sell to others. There's no public auction house or market board for some stupid reason. I've seen people announce in chat that they're furniture crafters, so that's an option

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Basically, to sum up: no, this is not a game where it's easy to make money by crafting.

But then that's most mmo games, so ymmv.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I don't know if the crafting market on its own is all that interesting, but there are definitely players whose main gameplay is selling as a whole and crafting can be a solid part of that. The lack of an auction house means the economy game is rather complex even with addons to help.

Ah that’s interesting. So are there local markets somehow? I’d be fine playing around with that, too.

Anno fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 6, 2022

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Hector Delgado posted:

You also need to be in a guild that has a trader to sell to others.
For gear you'd want a guild just for access to the crafting stations anyway, running all over the world for them would be a giant pain in the rear end.

Private Speech posted:

Basically, to sum up: no, this is not a game where it's easy to make money by crafting.

But then that's most mmo games, so ymmv.
Anything that involves selling to other players is going to be either hard or tedious, otherwise everyone would be doing it and it would stop being an easy way to make money.

The big money makers are farmed things like mats or furnishing plans, or rare rewards like runeboxes and motifs.

Crafting is actually a reasonably accessible way to make money, so I disagree that it's not an easy way to make money. I just don't think it's a gameplay engaging way to make money. The crafting system is wide, but it's not deep. You craft either things from plans/recipes or gear from whichever sets. You're not actually creating anything unique or creative, just doing someone else's busy work for profit. Crafting is really just a part of the grander trading part of the game. If you're not interested in researching the market and seeing what's in demand, then you're not going to succeed at crafting for profit regularly. If you are, then you can craft for profit, but you can also trade in other things.

On the other side, if you're interested in creating strange and new things then maybe the housing part is interesting. For most players it's a money sink, but there are those who make gold both by crafting furniture and selling decorating services.

Anno posted:

Ah that’s interesting. So are there local markets somehow? I’d be fine playing around with that, too.
Kinda. There's no global auction house. There are individual guild traders all over the world. They're bid on by player guilds. You join a trader guild (or several, you can join up to 5 guilds) and list on their trader. Anyone can buy from any trader. Some locations are more desirable and you can sell things on them at a markup.

On console this makes for mostly local markets, is my understanding. On PC there are addons that make price checking easier, so there's kind of a global market, but location still matters because a lot of people are lazy and don't want to go all over to find things. In both cases it makes room for all sorts of economic opportunities because no matter how you do it you have to hunt for deals.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Teaser for the next chapter: boats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2e8SCyb2mc

Reveal is Jan 27

My number one wish list expansion for this game has been, for a long time, Pyandonea, home of the Maormer. Out of all the Elder Scrolls locations they haven’t done yet, that’s the one I’ve always really hoped they would get to, but never really expected. When one of the devs hinted the next chapter would be “something we don’t expect” I was like “could it be THE thing I don’t expect?” And now the teaser is ships sailing into a huge storm? Holy poo poo those crazy sons of bitches might actually be doing it! I’m trying not to get my hopes up too high but holy poo poo!

Of course I also really want playable Maormer, so if they actually do the thing, I sure hope that’s part of it.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Anno posted:

Yes, and it's insanely stupid and annoying. Almost every town will have a handful of guild traders. To sell stuff there, guilds have to bid on the traders weekly, and traders in popular cities cost a large amount of gold each week. Only one guild can use each trader, and there's a lot fewer traders than there are guilds. The weekly bidding means that casual guilds won't have a guild trader, and trading guilds will generally require dues to keep up with the weekly bids.

There's also no good way to search every guild trader in the game, you have to walk up to each individual trader to see what's available for sale there, so price discovery doesn't work very well. There is a third-party website at https://www.tamrieltradecentre.com/ which uses data from players to keep a semi-updated, searchable list of items for sale. I know on PC there's mods that help populate the website, I'm not sure where the data comes from for consoles.

It's a nightmare system for the average player who just wants to buy something specific or maybe sell a lucky drop, but the devs are weirdly attached to the system.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Ah that sounds awesome. Thanks folks I didn’t know about that at all. I’m always interested in MMOs that actually have some sort of friction left in the gameplay so lll take a look here. I own the game somehow, I think an old Humble monthly or something.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
@teaser

LETS GO BRETON!

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

the panacea posted:

@teaser

LETS GO BRETON!

So many people are like "Bretons are boring, and they already have their entire zone" (Save for the tiny part around Jehanna that we likely never see). ZOS did Bretons/Highrock dirty outside of Wrothgar. The reason players find the zones dull is >cultists>undead werewolves >more cultists/vaermina does an evil>VAMPIRES>more undead>EVIL IMPERIALS :hist101: >on to Cadwells Silver I guess :confused:

They didn't bother to really touch on anything that makes them interesting. Alik'r Desert gives at least a rough pass on Redguard lore.

That said, I still think its The Systres and that it will either be Redgaurd focused or a co-op Redguard/Breton thing.

DoriDori240 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 7, 2022

K918
Jan 6, 2022

Good. And you?
Somehow I also own this game.
I suppose I can give it a go.

Don't need to tell me twice about how fun an MMO is with goons.
Whats the state of PVP like? Doing some reading of the OP tells me its alot of zerging?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

There's PVP?

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Started playing this a week ago and yep, I'm straight up addicted. Got a stamina dragonknight to 25 before making a sorcerer and welp, my level 5 sorcerer is very nearly doing more DPS than my dragonknight :v:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

K918 posted:

Somehow I also own this game.
I suppose I can give it a go.

Don't need to tell me twice about how fun an MMO is with goons.
Whats the state of PVP like? Doing some reading of the OP tells me its alot of zerging?

Sadly none of us really play together

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

zeldadude posted:

Started playing this a week ago and yep, I'm straight up addicted. Got a stamina dragonknight to 25 before making a sorcerer and welp, my level 5 sorcerer is very nearly doing more DPS than my dragonknight :v:

It’s because they’re both leveled up to roughly the same level

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

omg chael crash posted:

It’s because they’re both leveled up to roughly the same level

well yeah I realize that levels scale but I still expected 25 levels worth of skill upgrades, passives, etc to have made some sort of difference :shrug:

I'm assuming I'm just bad and that's the reason but stamina dragonknight just seems like it has really bad damage to me, especially compared to sorcerer

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 10, 2022

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

zeldadude posted:

well yeah I realize that levels scale but I still expected 25 levels worth of skill upgrades, passives, etc to have made some sort of difference :shrug:

I'm assuming I'm just bad and that's the reason but stamina dragonknight just seems like it has really bad damage to me, especially compared to sorcerer
Are you using the same weapons? Most of the stamina classes use more of the shared skills from the weapons for damage than their class skills (which are mainly for buffs). If you were using something like a one handed weapon and shield on the DK (tank gear that has lower damage than other options) and have now switched to something like a two handed sword (bursty wide area damage) it'll feel like an improvement but it would've also done so if you'd made the same swap on your DK.

In general Stamina classes will use a two handed sword (it has a damage shield and several skills that give big bursts of damage that affect multiple targets) and a bow (several damage over time abilities that you can rotate through and swap back to your sword) while they're running around out in the world. Dual wielding is generally the best single target damage and the best sustained damage over time so Stamina-based damage classes usually use that in groups (still combo'd with the bow).

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Mercurius posted:

Are you using the same weapons? Most of the stamina classes use more of the shared skills from the weapons for damage than their class skills (which are mainly for buffs). If you were using something like a one handed weapon and shield on the DK (tank gear that has lower damage than other options) and have now switched to something like a two handed sword (bursty wide area damage) it'll feel like an improvement but it would've also done so if you'd made the same swap on your DK.

In general Stamina classes will use a two handed sword (it has a damage shield and several skills that give big bursts of damage that affect multiple targets) and a bow (several damage over time abilities that you can rotate through and swap back to your sword) while they're running around out in the world. Dual wielding is generally the best single target damage and the best sustained damage over time so Stamina-based damage classes usually use that in groups (still combo'd with the bow).

I just recently switched from dual wielding to a 2 handed mace on my DK. I saw a couple guides mentioning cleave and execute so I figured I'd make the switch before I got too high level. I don't have execute yet so maybe that's part of it? Definitely seems really strong for boss fights at least.

I actually just realized last night that I was severely under utilizing soul trap to recover stamina, which has definitely helped a lot. I was running out of stamina like crazy before when I was spamming cleave.

Sorcerer is just really fun though, honestly. Kind of wish I had made an alt sooner :v: Might buy necro soon because that also seems really fun

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I've tried every class but necro and sorcerer. Dragon Knight and Templar feel like heavy hitters. I sort of like warden but also dont. Like animal/mushroom heal/ice feels all over the place compared to the others. Also it must be a very popular class i see bears everywhere

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

A friend asked if there are group-specific quests. I said dungeons/bosses. Is there anything else?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Battleground PVP levels the playing field between new level 50 players and veterans with thousands of CP by turning CP off.

It's a lotta drat fun. After a few matches, you'll start to get paired with people who do a good job staying together. It's chaotic and beautiful.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Potato Salad posted:

Battleground PVP levels the playing field between new level 50 players and veterans with thousands of CP by turning CP off.

It's a lotta drat fun. After a few matches, you'll start to get paired with people who do a good job staying together. It's chaotic and beautiful.

leveling a character to 50 doing nothing but bgs was probably some of the most fun ive had with the game and the shitton of ap you get for doing it is also pretty nice.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I enjoy the targeted charge attacks that the Two-handed and Sword/Shield skill lines provide. The only comparable things I can think of from Class skills are Nightblade's warp strike and Sorcerer's blink. Is there anything else that's not an ultimate like Dragon Knight's leap?

Thinking I should level Sorc next just for the blink and the fact their self movespeed buff also comes with a PBAOE.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Diephoon posted:

I enjoy the targeted charge attacks that the Two-handed and Sword/Shield skill lines provide. The only comparable things I can think of from Class skills are Nightblade's warp strike and Sorcerer's blink. Is there anything else that's not an ultimate like Dragon Knight's leap?
Templar has Charge. People call them gap closers.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

how's the PS5 version of this game? I've got an itch for just kind of tuning out and getting lost in a chill fantasy world and if that's a good version of ESO I'd be willing to give this a shot over just replaying Skyrim for the upteenth time.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Zaggitz posted:

how's the PS5 version of this game? I've got an itch for just kind of tuning out and getting lost in a chill fantasy world and if that's a good version of ESO I'd be willing to give this a shot over just replaying Skyrim for the upteenth time.

I haven't played it on PS5, but on PC I use a controller, for whatever that's worth. The only downside would not being able to install a few quality of life mods (like ones that put certain collectibles on the minimap, or the ones that basically do my daily crafting quests for me).

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The PS5 version of the game is really good, graphics look great with HDR and runs at 60 FPS in performance mode. It also uses Playstation 3D audio if you have one of the new PS headsets, you can easily tell which direction sounds are coming from.

It's odd you see almost nobody talking about the PS5 version online, likely because how few people own a PS5 and the fraction of them that also play ESO.

I've played ESO on PC since launch, a bit on PS4 and restarted again on PS5. The PS5 version is my preferred way to play now, the graphics looked like poo poo on PS4 but the PS5 with HDR actually looks better than it does on PC. I think the combat is also much more fun with a controller than with a mouse and keyboard.

I highly recommend playing in first person and a headset, especially one of the 3D audio ones, it's incredibly immersive. I do everything in first person now, including dungeons and poo poo with no problem.

edit: some QOL of life stuff that was recently added for consoles was putting skyshard markers on the map and if you do crafting writs you can easily tell which items are needed from the crafting station menu. The necessary item icons are marked as well as changing your tracked quest to a writ of that station type if you have one when you open the station.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Also make sure you're installing the PS5 version of ESO if you try it, don't end up accidently installing the PS4 version.

I'd stick to one zone at a time but it's definitely a great game to mindlessly explore some pretty interesting places. The quality of quest stories is at least as good as Skyrim's, if not better in many cases in my opinion.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Zaggitz posted:

That's a perfect use case for this game, and hoooooooly poo poo is it gorgeous and fast on PS5. It only takes like 10 seconds to zone.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

My friend is getting a bug where npcs and enemies are invisible? Google shows a lot of mentions in 2015 with a fix in a patch. Any ideas? Found something related to speakers which i sent over but figured someone here might have experienced it to. He's on a pc

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

First event of the year starts next Thursday:
https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/61477

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006