Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Cloks posted:

my wife is a speech pathologist and her kids love Mario, I'd be interested in buying those

If you want to just send me a couple bucks to cover shipping, they’re yours. It’s a 5” Mario, Yoshi and a slightly taller Peach static figure. PM me. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/ToyNewsInterna1/status/1478782526831349760

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Super7's choice in what Simpsons figures they make is really confusing but they're going with the characters that make you say "okay yeah I didn't know I needed that, take my money". That Hank figure will be mine but it sucks they're $55+ each.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Christ, I'd buy duffman but 55 bucks is a joke.

DUFFMAN IS THRUSTING IN THE DIRECTION OF THE PROBLEM

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I've been selective in my ordering of Thundercats and TMNT Ultimates so that I'll end up with 4 good guys and 4 bad guys from each series (with the late-addition exception of Surfer Michelangelo which will make my TMNT figures have a 5:4 split) but I'm going all-in on the Simpsons. Give me all the yellow people. I'll get a second job to finance this garbage.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Louisgod posted:

Super7's choice in what Simpsons figures they make is really confusing but they're going with the characters that make you say "okay yeah I didn't know I needed that, take my money". That Hank figure will be mine but it sucks they're $55+ each.

Wait how much :psyduck:

edit: I mean, I understand all too well how much toys cost to make, but Super 7 is no longer just a tiny operation. $30 I could see, maybe even $40 because the world is on fire and materials and shipping costs are way up there nowadays but holy poo poo.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 5, 2022

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I really have no insight into the cost of manufacturing, but Hasbro is now charging $25+ for a Marvel Legend without a BAF part.

Prices have gotten crazy and the sad part is I'm still paying them when it comes to certain properties (TMNT, SilverHawks).

I'm also at the point where space has become an issue so as more comes in, more has to go out.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Wait how much :psyduck:

edit: I mean, I understand all too well how much toys cost to make, but Super 7 is no longer just a tiny operation. $30 I could see, maybe even $40 because the world is on fire and materials and shipping costs are way up there nowadays but holy poo poo.

I don't own any Super7 products so can't speak to their quality (reviews suggest it's pretty drat good) but they do seem incredibly overpriced. I mean poo poo the TMNT party wagon is 500 loving DOLLARS, which is obscene considering I just paid $300 or whatever for a 28" Galactus that probably uses way more plastic. I mean hey if Super7 charges that much per figure and people are willing to pay, more power to them, but it's hard for me to jump in when McFarlane's offering some insane quality for their ~$20 price point.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Injection molds are hellaciously expensive to start with, then there is licensing of course, the cost of plastics has jumped a ton, shipping is now shaky as hell, etc etc. I had to bump the price of my Lulu from $60 to $70 and I have many toy maker friends that have had to do the same, and none of us have Super 7 money to invest in these things.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone have any insight into the cost of different plastics?

One thing I will say is that my Super 7 figs feel the best out of everything I own (maybe Mafex competes here).

NECA is super firm, but feels (and is brittle), and Hasbro is very oily / soft / gummy. Quantities aside I wonder if this is a big part of it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Injection molds are hellaciously expensive to start with, then there is licensing of course, the cost of plastics has jumped a ton, shipping is now shaky as hell, etc etc. I had to bump the price of my Lulu from $60 to $70 and I have many toy maker friends that have had to do the same, and none of us have Super 7 money to invest in these things.

Yeah no judgement here, everything has changed so much in general that $55 a figure may be what Super7 needs to charge to stay afloat.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Louisgod posted:

Yeah no judgement here, everything has changed so much in general that $55 a figure may be what Super7 needs to charge to stay afloat.

Oh I totally understand. My frustration in ways is that I'd prefer to make a fully painted Lulu for $30 if I could, because the more affordable, the more people can just enjoy them. I spoke with the president of Bullmark a few years ago and he was saddened that his sofubi simply were out of the price range of children anymore.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Brian at Super 7 has been really candid about the money end of things in interviews, and it makes total sense that they can’t charge Hasbro prices unless they can sell Hasbro quantities, and there are orders of magnitudes’ differences there. They might not be a tiny operation anymore but they’re not huge either. I’m still all in with Thundercats despite the cost, but I’m pretty much drawing the line there, I love Super 7’s work but I can’t afford to buy it all.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah $55 is a hard sell to go all in on any S7 line. I'll grab Duffman but that's about it.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
I'd have every one of their TMNT figs if not for the cost. Instead I just pick and choose my favorites from their various lines and go for those (90% of which are the GITD variants).

Although so far I do have 100% of their Toxic Crusaders line because it's only three figures.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I’m in for Duffman and Bartman, but after that im probably sitting out until they do Kang and Kodos.

_he says until the next wave reveal_

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Based off my 1 Super7 figure - Metalhead - it's worth every penny. You just can't really get a whole line for cheap but it's an expensive hobby in general. Just gotta be more smart of where you put your money or at least just save what you can as they announce these far in advance and the windows are open for a bit.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

On the other hand, paying $130 a pop for those fancy imported 10” Final Fantasy 7 Remake figures really makes the Thundercats seem reasonable by comparison. I’m just glad I never decided to collect the entire MCU in Hot Toys form or something. This hobby can be cheap if you buy cheap stuff but boy can it escalate if you let it!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's why I stopped collecting Star Wars Lego.... granted nothing really has been good minus the mondo expensive sets and man, you just run out of room for all that bullshit.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I just opened 3 of the 4 new Super7 TMNT figs (still waiting for Casey to ship) and they're all still great. For me they're worth the price; especially since I stopped getting the NECA TMNT figs. For one line, twice a year or so, the price is okay with me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Super7 has actually done interviews where they go very candid and frank on why they charge what they do.

It comes down to cost of production, cost of shipping, and ultimately, cost of living. They have to be able to pay their workers what they're owed, and Super7, for as much as they've expanded, is still a tiny, tiny fish in a giant lake of adult collectibles.

NECA is their closest equivalent, whose figures have crossed into the 35-40 dollar range of late themselves, and they're a far bigger company with outreach to major retailers and the like. Super7, by virtue of who and what they are, do not have that. They can get reaction figures into major stores, but Ultimates? Nope. This also means that they can't bulk purchase like NECA and larger companies do, which drives up the cost of production even higher.

So they have their set price and try to fill the box with as much stuff as they can to justify it. Super7 is effectively the middle ground between home indie productions and the smaller collectible side like NECA. They mentioned that their He-Man ultimates line, for as well as that did for them and for as much as they sold, was a blip compared to what Mattel could produce and sell in the same time frame.

I fully get it, too. It'd be nice to have a more dynamic pricing range- though I think the Simpsons figures are worth that kind of money, maybe just 40, but still, because they're going to be giant loving figures with a lot of plastic. But even there, it'd be nice if Bartman was 30, or 40 or whatever. But on the same hand, that does come around and benefit very specifically me.

In the Power Rangers line, the Rangers and similarly humanoid figures face the same issue. They look like they should cost maybe 40 dollars at most, comfortably 35. But then you get the monsters and most importantly

This loving guy. This guy is going to dwarf the NECA Godzillas, as he's going to be up to 9 inches by the tip of his head crest, and the sheer level of paint and detail goes straight to monster-arts quality. In a dynamic pricing range, where figures are priced to what they should cost, this fucker would run 80 bucks.

But in a weird way, thanks to Super7's model, he's just 55. This is cold comfort for anyone who isn't specifically me, but yeah. These are made to order figures that are basically NECA+ in quality, with usually reported excellent custom service, and a lot of accessories. And most importantly, they're very much for the people that want them.

That Dragonzord?

I want a lot of toys. I would like to collect the PR line, I want to get some select Transformers, some select TMNT. I want the T-Rex zord. I want the Godzilla line.

I will have this Dragonzord. No matter what else, no matter if my financial plans fall through for the year and I have to cancel everything else, I'm going to have this figure. This is the toy I have waited most of my entire life for. That's what Super7 excels at. They are making figures that no one else is touching, even if they did have the rights to them.

That's why I want them to get more licenses too like Rhyno and I were saying earlier. Even if I can't afford it, I want this stuff to exist because someone will want it, someone will make room for it, and someone who needs this in their life will get it.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

As a lifelong Thundercats fan, I've been disappointed in every toy iteration going all the way back to the 80s LJN line; the scale of the original figures was awkward and inconsistent, they broke easily, and they did kind of a bad job in terms of show accuracy and range of characters. It's so nice to see someone finally getting it exactly right, I'm happy to support them as long as I can afford it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I conceptually want Scorpio but the Simpsons in 3D will never work for me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My wife found the silly cgi Orko for me in the middle of nowhere!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I do kinda scoff at Super7 a lot but then I realize I have literally every NECA TMNT and they won't stop making them.

NECA has The Simpsons license (I know they did the celebrity figs a handful of years ago, and they own KidRobot who still makes Simpsons stuff), so I pray to god they never fully go for it with the 2 packs and ultimates or I'll be dead.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Great thing about Super7 stuff is, even though I don't have any of their stuff, it's clear their toys OOZE their what looks like sincere love for the stuff they make. There's an incredible amount of detail that can only come from what I suspect is a love for the craft and the license.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I haven’t collected anything in a while. But I am all in on those Simpsons figures. It’s pricey, but I’ll tell myself it’s just one line.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Just look at this badass. This is the perfect evolution of the toy I cherished as a kid. So much better than NECAs with that weird face it has.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Tbh I think '22 is the year I slow down in collecting. Trying to find an apartment for my partner and myself to accommodate all of our stuff is going to be a challenge in itself, let alone me dragging my adult childhood with me. Moving through my emotional recovery, I think I'm at a place where I don't need what collecting has brought me. I'll get that vicarious thrill through this thread and the 'bot thread.

I'm making a concession for Masterverse and Classified stuff. Just a small one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What part of the country are you located in? Is the rental market rough? When my wife and I first got together we rented a house (mostly because we were partying every week) and while I had a "room" it wasn't really well suited for shelving and toys. From there we rented a few apartments and she always made the concession that I could have a room for my crap. When we bought the first house I was the one who pushed hard for a basement knowing it would be the best place to build a collection room.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Rhyno posted:

What part of the country are you located in? Is the rental market rough? When my wife and I first got together we rented a house (mostly because we were partying every week) and while I had a "room" it wasn't really well suited for shelving and toys. From there we rented a few apartments and she always made the concession that I could have a room for my crap. When we bought the first house I was the one who pushed hard for a basement knowing it would be the best place to build a collection room.

I'm in Canada, on the west coast. It's a university city and the rental market is tight, so until the spring semester empties we're just sitting tight until two-bedroom unit comes up. Neither of us is looking for a house, and condos are still a bridge too far as neither of us has collateral for a mortgage loan just yet. I'll have a place for my collection in a pair (uh, or three...) of detolfs in our living room some day. I landed a job with the government, which has plenty of opportunity for advancement, so I'm content to sit and wait while I sort other parts of my life out.

My partner is very patient with my collection, and I am grateful for that, however I know it's time for me to focus my energy and attention elsewhere. Cancelled all my bot preorders, as I think I've had my fun over the WFC series. He-Man and G.I. Joe have some shelf space coming, but that will slow too. No shade or judgment on collecting whatsoever, it's just that emotionally I'm at a place where I realize what chasing those childhood memories has brought me, and I am ever so grateful for the privilege of emotional growth. I recognize now that I have supports in my life that bring me safety and security that I used to find in collecting.

Oh and since this is a Wendy's drive through I'll have an uhhhhhhhh

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Oh and since this is a Wendy's drive through I'll have an uhhhhhhhh

Don't even feel bad or weird, you guys have been great since I blipped off the radar and came back. This thread is full of very like minded people. Sounds like you have a solid plan, I'm a bit envious. I've applied to 100+ places and only gotten two interviews, neither panned out. I was really hoping to not return to retail but it's looking like it'll have to do for a while.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

did anybody by any chance happen to grab an extra Figuarts SSJ4 Goku, or bought one and don't want it? shouldn't have trusted amazon with my pre-order but I did, and they cancelled it. i'll go aftermarket if i have to but figured i'd ask here first

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

JoeGlassJAw posted:

did anybody by any chance happen to grab an extra Figuarts SSJ4 Goku, or bought one and don't want it? shouldn't have trusted amazon with my pre-order but I did, and they cancelled it. i'll go aftermarket if i have to but figured i'd ask here first

Bluefin is apparently aware of Amazon loving everyone over and is trying to do something about it. Hopefully that pans out one way or another because this sounds like a mess. Amazon seems to have massive issues actually making good on their pre-orders for Bluefin stuff. Or even Figmas, based on my experience with them canceling my old Prime 3 Samus pre-order.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My collection has been a strong coping mechanism during covid, especially since it opened me up to buy random stuff if I decide I like how it looks. However that's what got me into Sailor Moon and I quite like my Gokus so its worked out for the most part.

I did buy too many Halo figures and most of them have already been donated out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Heh, people complaining about rising prices...

As a transformers collector, I've been familiar with that poo poo for yeaaaars. Deluxes going from 10 to 16 a long time ago and now more recently to 20 each is the norm now.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

Heh, people complaining about rising prices...

As a transformers collector, I've been familiar with that poo poo for yeaaaars. Deluxes going from 10 to 16 a long time ago and now more recently to 20 each is the norm now.

Remember when Unicron was like, 50 bucks?

How much do you think Armada Unicron would run these days at retail

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I was really hoping to not return to retail but it's looking like it'll have to do for a while.

Don't even feel bad or weird about this my dude. You yourself have a plan, and you know that sometimes things need to be done to make sure those plans come to fruition. You've got the lot of us rooting for you!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I appreciate the positive vibes man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Has anyone bought Creative Beasts Studio's Beasts of the Mesozoic figures? I'm thinking of buying a few for my sister and I wanna know what to expect vis a vis quality.