Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I'm at the grasping-at-straws stage of fighting covid, so I went ahead and tried the benedryl-&-milk thing that came up around Xmas. [insert massive sigh here] No miracle cure. I'm on Day 108 of quarantine, no change in my symptoms beyond the usual good day/bad day on shortness-of-breath.

Still not gonna try ivermectin, thank you.

It's really frustrating, because I have an otherwise light case (except back at week 2, which nearly sent me to the hospital for supplemental O2) and I keep randomly having 3 or 4 good days in a row and getting my hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

I'm at the grasping-at-straws stage of fighting covid, so I went ahead and tried the benedryl-&-milk thing that came up around Xmas. [insert massive sigh here] No miracle cure. I'm on Day 108 of quarantine, no change in my symptoms beyond the usual good day/bad day on shortness-of-breath.

Still not gonna try ivermectin, thank you.

It's really frustrating, because I have an otherwise light case (except back at week 2, which nearly sent me to the hospital for supplemental O2) and I keep randomly having 3 or 4 good days in a row and getting my hopes up.

That sucks, I’ve recently heard lots more people talk about losing smell

Are you sleeping well, working out, eating healthy? Right now there seems to be no answer, besides “uhhh wait and see if you kick it, and don’t get it again”

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Objective Action posted:

The failure mode for these is they get too hard to breath in. They actually get more efficient at filtering out everything as they clog up.

Generally the rule of thumb is toss them if "it got wet (kills the electrostatic charge)", "the band too loose to fit right", "it is getting grody", or "too hard to breath through". For me I expect to get between 40-80 hours of wear out of one mask. Rotate through a series of masks and let each one have time to dry out when you take it off each day (~24 hours) to help get the mileage out of them.

This is super helpful, thanks!!

So the 3M Aura and the masks from bonafide are considered the best general purpose n95s, then?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

There's really no reason to quarantine that long with long COVID. Whatever long COVID is, it's almost certainly not live virus in your system after 3 months.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

enki42 posted:

There's really no reason to quarantine that long with long COVID. Whatever long COVID is, it's almost certainly not live virus in your system after 3 months.

I still have the chills and sore throat, plus the secondary organ problems (in my case, pink eye and lactose intolerance during covid infection only).

I console myself that at least I'm not the guy who was on a ventilator for 6 months and had to relearn how to walk. I vaguely recall an article about a lady in the UK who had had covid for 100 days and kept failing her covid tests, from 2020.

quote:

Are you sleeping well, working out, eating healthy? Right now there seems to be no answer, besides “uhhh wait and see if you kick it, and don’t get it again”

I'm a cripple with chronic pain and massive amounts of food allergies, so sleep is drugged and eating involves 30 pills per day to get all my vitamins/minerals*. I do my physical therapy religiously, but can't get more than that before the shortness-of-breath kicks in.

I've had covid twice before (April & October of 2020), for 25 days and 28 days, respectively. Had Pfizer shots in March 2021, but they wore off just before I could get an appointment for the booster. Seriously, Biden announced on a Friday that the gov't would pay for everyone's boosters, and I woke up with symptoms on Monday.

*You need tons of potassium, like 26 GRAMS per day for a woman, 35 for a tall man.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

This is super helpful, thanks!!

So the 3M Aura and the masks from bonafide are considered the best general purpose n95s, then?

The Auras are generally accepted as the best around for performance and fit for most people in the N95 category. Another big advantage for them is they are stocked at Home Depot so you can usually find a box immediately if you need them. The Home Depot ones have a rubber band rather than a braided elastic one though so they are a little less comfortable with long hair and tend to wear out a little faster.

Another good option is the Harley 188. Some people I know prefer the more KN95 style face shape over the Aura but they are more expensive and harder to find.

Generally anything on this list is going to be protective but you may or may not get poo poo for anything with an exhale valve on it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

brugroffil posted:

Iirc medically rated n95's are the same except they have a coating to resist liquid splashing. Lots of bodily fluids in the medical settings you hopefully aren't encountering in public!

Can you really say you're living your best life if that's true?

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
I work at a university and was expecting exposure pretty quickly after after the students returned to class next Monday, but a coworker who works in near proximity just got a positive test result today so lol, it begins already.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I find it ironic that my kid's school district was handing out free test kits yesterday. I drove up to the school parking lot to get two, and all the security guards are standing around handing them out.

Not one of them was wearing a mask.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

Also,
https://twitter.com/MicahPollak/status/1477730077836480512?s=20
A huge uptick in heart attack and vascular disease deaths vis-a-vis a virus that causes vascular damage? Nope, can’t be the virus.

I mean, I’m sure some of them are from straight-up stress and the like associated with the pandemic. But still.

This is a pretty interesting angle to track the effects of the pandemic. The excess death charts don't seem to persuade some people because of "political" interference or whatever, but these are life insurance payouts. That'll make them pay attention, right? :(

It sucks that nobody seems to be covering it much. The guy who made the comments was only mentioned in the local paper and in a website for advising financial advisors. That site does cover life insurance stuff though, and the same journalist wrote two other articles about rising working-age mortality:

U.S. Working-Age COVID-19 Mortality Shocks Life Insurers in November

quote:

Executives from Prudential Financial, Voya Financial and Unum Group have all talked about the impact of the COVID-19 delta variant surge on working-age Americans during the conference calls the companies have held to go over earnings for the third quarter. The quarter ended Sept. 30.

Andy Sullivan, the head of the U.S. businesses at Prudential, said the surge had an especially big effect in the South.

“The deaths in the third quarter were three times what we expected,” Sullivan said. “We were expecting 30,000 deaths, and we saw 95,000… U.S. deaths in the age group between 35 and 54 tripled, from a percentage perspective. And we cover a lot of younger workers.”

and 10 Worst States for Working-Age Deaths Now in September

quote:

In 10 states, even the current, incomplete data show that the weekly number of deaths of working-age people from all causes rose more than 13% between the first week of August and the first week of September.

For a look at those 10 states, see the slideshow above.

One of the states in the slideshow, for example, is Texas, which may have recorded about 1,565 deaths of people ages 25 through 64 for the week ending Aug. 7, and 1,887 deaths of people in that age group for the week ending Sept, 4, according to the adjusted CDC figures.

In 2019, Texas reported 1,051 deaths of people ages 25 through 64 for the first week of August, and 1,069 for the first week of September.

The headline and story are about the rising numbers month to month, which are shocking, but compared to previous years HOLY poo poo

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My asthmatic boss tested positive for covid today. He was scheduled to get his booster Friday. LOL.

On the plus side, I was off last week and worked from home so far this week, so I haven't gotten that anxiety spike like I got when other people on our team and around us have popped positive.

On the minus side, some dumbfuck exec from France is coming over next week and we have to be in the office so he can cough in our faces with whatever he's picked up from France, JFK, etc.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

greazeball posted:

This is a pretty interesting angle to track the effects of the pandemic. The excess death charts don't seem to persuade some people because of "political" interference or whatever, but these are life insurance payouts. That'll make them pay attention, right? :(

If the actual data is just excess deaths, bet you anything they'll insist they are suicides due to lockdowns or something like that.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

enki42 posted:

If the actual data is just excess deaths, bet you anything they'll insist they are suicides due to lockdowns or something like that.

nah, that was 2020's conspiracy.

in the past year, all excess deaths are the result of the vaccine of course.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Bad Purchase posted:

nah, that was 2020's conspiracy.

in the past year, all excess deaths are the result of the vaccine of course.

The Soros/Gates mind control chips are working.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Objective Action posted:

The failure mode for these is they get too hard to breath in. They actually get more efficient at filtering out everything as they clog up.

Generally the rule of thumb is toss them if "it got wet (kills the electrostatic charge)", "the band too loose to fit right", "it is getting grody", or "too hard to breath through". For me I expect to get between 40-80 hours of wear out of one mask. Rotate through a series of masks and let each one have time to dry out when you take it off each day (~24 hours) to help get the mileage out of them.

Nah they get slightly less efficient because every time they use their electrostatic charge to capture something, they have that much less charge to pull in anything else.

However, the standard accounts for this and NIOSH-certified N95 respirators have to maintain performance up to two hundred milligrams of loading. Sounds like a tiny amount, but it works out to something like two hundred days of breathing the most polluted city air in the world. Office and retail air is nothing to them because they’re designed for dusty environments.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Parker v. Levy 1974

"The different character of the military community and of the military mission requires a different application of (First Amendment) protections."

I mean it's pretty safe to say that the Republican dude who wrote this opinion doesn't give a single gently caress about precedent.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

god i wish chem trails were real

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

greazeball posted:

It sucks that nobody seems to be covering it much. The guy who made the comments was only mentioned in the local paper and in a website for advising financial advisors. That site does cover life insurance stuff though, and the same journalist wrote two other articles about rising working-age mortality:

U.S. Working-Age COVID-19 Mortality Shocks Life Insurers in November
So, the company I work for has a large life insurance business. We've noticed a definite uptick but it's nowhere near +40% in that age range, thank goodness.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

yeah, you get one of these in the package so you know it's legit

Heh, I got one of those in the Covid test I bought at CVS last week.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Got my booster in late October and tested positive on the 2nd. Daughter contracted it at school and was asymptomatic. We were as careful as we could be.

First day was like a very bad cold. Day 2 I had chills and slept a bunch. The last two days I’ve just had a stuffy nose an on and off cough (not a bad/hacking one) and lost my sense of taste/smell.

Just waiting to see if I die next week or whatever I guess. This sucks.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Cimber posted:

I find it ironic that my kid's school district was handing out free test kits yesterday. I drove up to the school parking lot to get two, and all the security guards are standing around handing them out.

Not one of them was wearing a mask.

That’s nice of them to hand out free test kits. Why would the security guards be wearing masks outside anyway? I imagine the interaction time while handing out test kits is rather short and… outside.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Wife's district is going back in person next week.

Don't worry, they've assured everyone there will be hand sanitizer in every room, and they will be strictly enforcing masking if you're within six feet of anyone else.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

brugroffil posted:

Don't worry, they've assured everyone there will be hand sanitizer in every room, and they will be strictly enforcing masking if you're within six feet of anyone else.

I feel like we've reached the point where some school organization is going to officially state that they're ensuring everyone's humours will be checked for balance and anyone with yellow bile out of balance will be sent home within 3 hours.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
The six foot rule and hand sanitizer obsession have done so much damage. To this day, I encounter no end of people who think that they are safe because they get no closer than 6’, even if they’re sitting in a small room with no ventilation.

Skyscraper Raccoon
Jun 12, 2018

Started from the bottom, now we here
In our corporate message boards, the customer-facing portions of the business are roasting the poo poo out of the white collar workers who are literally shaking about having to go back into an office for a few days a week twice a month.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Modus Man posted:

That’s nice of them to hand out free test kits. Why would the security guards be wearing masks outside anyway? I imagine the interaction time while handing out test kits is rather short and… outside.

Outside helps a little, and reduced duration time helps a little. Probably. Maybe. They're definitely not completely protective measures though, not even close

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I like how our online vaccine booking system is pure garbage. It only lists 6 pharmacies in my entire city and the earliest openings are in March :laffo:

You can get one right away if you call pharmacies to make an appointment. So why is the online system crap? Well, many consider it part of a conspiracy by the party in power to undermine government healthcare in the public eye so they can try and switch to a private healthcare system more easily. It's a thing Conservatives keep trying to do up here, so that explanation honestly seems 100% plausible to me.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Picnic Princess posted:

I like how our online vaccine booking system is pure garbage. It only lists 6 pharmacies in my entire city and the earliest openings are in March :laffo:

You can get one right away if you call pharmacies to make an appointment. So why is the online system crap? Well, many consider it part of a conspiracy by the party in power to undermine government healthcare in the public eye so they can try and switch to a private healthcare system more easily. It's a thing Conservatives keep trying to do up here, so that explanation honestly seems 100% plausible to me.

I got my mom and myself our booster shots by calling ahead to our regular shoppers' on Memorial and 52nd street to make sure they had a supply available, then just walked in.

Of course, that was almost a week ago, not sure what the situation might be right now.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 6, 2022

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Aoi posted:

Of course, that was almost a week ago, not sure what the situation might be right now.

gently caress, things are changing that fast now, aren't they.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Some nice schad - Novak Djokovic was detained on arrival in Australia and has had his visa revoked and is being held in a detention hotel pending deportation.

The men's world number 1 for tennis isn't vaccinated and apparantely hasn't met the requirements for being vaccine exempt. He'd previously said he was "opposed to vaccination".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-59889522

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Baconroll posted:

Some nice schad - Novak Djokovic was detained on arrival in Australia and has had his visa revoked and is being held in a detention hotel pending deportation.

The men's world number 1 for tennis isn't vaccinated and apparantely hasn't met the requirements for being vaccine exempt. He'd previously said he was "opposed to vaccination".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-59889522
I am glad to see it but it's also pretty obvious this is the Australian government responding to backlash and going back on decisions they had already made.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Tennis Australia isn't a government organization unless I'm mistaken. Basically I read this as the tennis org for the country saying yeah it's fine you can play, but the actual government saying that doesn't mean their existing rules for entry don't apply to him and barring him from entry.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

wilderthanmild posted:

Tennis Australia isn't a government organization unless I'm mistaken. Basically I read this as the tennis org for the country saying yeah it's fine you can play, but the actual government saying that doesn't mean their existing rules for entry don't apply to him and barring him from entry.
Right, but the article says his visa was canceled, not rejected. There's a difference there.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Skyscraper Raccoon posted:

In our corporate message boards, the customer-facing portions of the business are roasting the poo poo out of the white collar workers who are literally shaking about having to go back into an office for a few days a week twice a month.

If I wanted to interact with people I would work a customer-facing job. I'm never going back to an office and you can't make me.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I wonder how many unvaccinated top athletes will be wrecked by long covid. Hasn’t Kyrie Irving gotten covid twice?

At the top level of sports, there’s so little that physically separates the competitors. Just losing a few % of your physical capacity is tremendous.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 30 hours!)

dwarf74 posted:

Right, but the article says his visa was canceled, not rejected. There's a difference there.

He had a visa, but on trying to enter the country, he failed to show he met the requirements to be vaccinated or otherwise medically exempt. So his visa was duly cancelled, making him deportable.

Meanwhile the fact he'd been given an exemption to play in the Open has zilch to do with getting into Australia.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

wilderthanmild posted:

Looked it up and it is a government owned organisation, which is slightly different then a organization that's part of the government. 1but yeah, basically it shouldn't have any more legal powers/rights then a non government owned org as far as I can see.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I finally got my booster! :slick: I was supposed to get it tomorrow but the pharmacy rang me and said it looked like they might run out tomorrow so come get it now, they'd just cracked open a fresh vial.

dr_rat posted:

Looked it up and it is a government owned organisation, which is slightly different then a organization that's part of the government. 1but yeah, basically it shouldn't have any more legal powers/rights then a non government owned org as far as I can see.

Apparently after Tennis Australia assesses the exemption applications (which have all the identifying data removed so the panel of doctors don't know if it's a player or a coach or support staff) they then send them off to the state government which similarly assesses them anonymously, so it looks like he had approval from the state health department but the federal government agents said nope when he landed at the airport. It turns out the visa he applied for doesn't allow for medical vaxx exemptions anyway and the PM is taking a strong line against it so he's likely hosed regardless: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-05/how-did-novak-djokovic-get-covid-vaccination-exemption/100738684

Which is great, get the anti-vaxx rear end in a top hat the gently caress out of here. :fuckoff:

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

"" posted:

Djokovic’s father, Srdjan, told Russian media he was outraged by the treatment of his son. “Tonight they can throw him in a dungeon, tomorrow they can put him in chains. The truth is he is like water and water paves its own path. Novak is the Spartacus of the new world which won’t tolerate injustice, colonialism and hypocrisy.”

I knew he was amazing at tennis, but I hadn’t realised he was also the second coming of Jesus. How could Australia do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

People are against the new world order but then, what do they want

Old world order? New world disorder ? Whatttt