Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
It's not just me that has the XP level-up animations playing twice again right? I also see the Brukan hero's battlecry animations play twice as well and maybe it's stupid but I find it super aggravating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

GTO posted:

Yeah watching that video made me realise how much game time you spend watching the animations. Tablet and mobile payers are already disadvantaged by the as they seem to take longer there, I'd favour an option to remove or speed them up.

Yeah.. the point has actually been made that having an option available to everyone to not have animations or to play them at a much higher speed would actually help those with disabilities to play the game. It's the sort of thing you never think about in 99% of situations, but it is a real issue preventing some people from playing the top OTK decks.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Starsfan posted:

Yeah.. the point has actually been made that having an option available to everyone to not have animations or to play them at a much higher speed would actually help those with disabilities to play the game. It's the sort of thing you never think about in 99% of situations, but it is a real issue preventing some people from playing the top OTK decks.

I never gave it much thought but as someone with some physical disability causing poor proprioception that would come in handy.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This is a tough one because animations, visuals, and gamefeel are the selling points and competitive advantage this game has over every other digital cardgame on the market.

And, indirectly, Blizzard should at least know what happens when visuals/effects start to affect competitive gameplay: this happened with StarCraft 2. All the pro players eventually figured out that reducing the quality to minumum helped them play faster, and it looked like absolute rear end, and the optics of having all the top streamers do this was not good.

And, I think having a tactical component to the game is good and is part of what makes this game good: it's not just pure strategy, and you have to actually do the thing you want.

So even though I personally would shut off every animation possible, I understand why they are defaulting to not allowing any client-native modification of this at all, at the cost of some accessibility.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I always used to play every RTS with minimum settings for that reason. It's simply easier to play when there is less poo poo flying about. Although it was always nice to dip into the single-player and max settings.

I would play Deathrattle DH or something else that has like 3 actions a turn with zero animations just because fast feels nicer.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

This new kobold illusionist rogue deck is amazing.

I put in Abominable Lieutenants and holy poo poo those are the MVP of the deck.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/4mzF2k9zBRCEAG6R9iCZdJ

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
### Custom Druid
# Class: Druid
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (1) Adorable Infestation
# 2x (1) Druid of the Reef
# 2x (1) Peasant
# 2x (1) Vibrant Squirrel
# 2x (2) Clawfury Adept
# 2x (2) Composting
# 2x (2) Ram Commander
# 2x (2) Thorngrowth Sentries
# 2x (3) Frostwolf Kennels
# 2x (3) Heart of the Wild
# 2x (3) Oracle of Elune
# 2x (4) Dire Frostwolf
# 2x (4) Park Panther
# 2x (5) Arbor Up
# 2x (7) Frostsaber Matriarch
#
AAECAeSiBAAPudIDjOQDrewDyfUD0fYD9PYDgfcDhPcDrIAEiY0EoY0E56QE6aQEl6UEuL4EAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

This has been an enjoyable ladder deck with nice quick games.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Any tips on the gold climb in standard? I've been getting pretty wrecked as Pirate Warrior (which supposedly autopilots) - is Thief Rogue the answer?

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Tezzeract posted:

Any tips on the gold climb in standard? I've been getting pretty wrecked as Pirate Warrior (which supposedly autopilots) - is Thief Rogue the answer?

For all VS's talking up of Thief Rogue, I've found it pretty average, barely over 50% win rate over the last few days. It doesn't do well (for me anyway) against Shaman, Paladin or Mage and that's most of what I've been seeing. Apparently the Hanar Secret variant is better against those but I haven't made the switch yet.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Tezzeract posted:

Pirate Warrior was feeling a bit weak to me last month into alot of matchups, I switched off of it in the end and tbh my results on my new deck (a budget Beast Druid) have been middling at best as well.

If you have the dust to craft the best deck in the game (including what is likely to be a meme legendary card before too long) I guess that is one potential idea for you, but it's not a magic bullet as victorious has just pointed out above. Pirate Warrior is exactly the type of deck that I see recommended for players trying to climb - very tempo based, use your mana, keep to the gameplan. If you're not enjoying it that's another matter, people should play a deck that is fun for them :)

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
Thief Rogue seems plenty good to me, easy legend climb and came in at a decent rank. Play your passages aggressively, in some matchups you really need early pressure and a passage on 1 will discount any Gnolls to 0 or 1.

edit: you should be favored vs Pally, Scabbs is very good. I thought Shaman was favorable too but I don’t know the stats. Also, don’t play the cute version.

DrOgreface fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 5, 2022

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I've been hovering around 50% with thief rogue, having difficulty vs paladins even with a rustrot in the deck

If they have the god draws they just play fat buffed minions every single turn and overwhelm

e: also it's absurd how you can be dominating every single turn vs a garotte rogue then they play a 5/6 mana Scabbs and you can never touch them again, card needs to go up in cost to at least 8

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I've been playing the Libram Paladin deck from VS ever since someone linked it on the previous page and it's favoured against Thief Rogue, which has been my experience. Against Quest Rogue I win every game where I have Barov and a Broom and something to run him into on their Scabbs turn, which is just about every game because I've hardly seen any QR.

I've played a bit of Thief Rogue, too, but not enough to get a feel for the match-ups. But then data never lies, right? Though I assume results may differ depending upon your rank.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

I would be more concerned about poison/garrote rogue if you are libram paladin. Keeping Cariel in the mulligan is what I do.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
I cruised with thief rogue to D5. Only felt bad going against DH (Glide still exists!). Pirates weren't a problem for me, against Librams I just played for an early kill. Shaman was a problem for me because snowfall/mccaw can just lock rogues out, so I needed to maximize burn off discovers and save stabs for turn 10.

I also switched to poison rogue when I hit D5. First game was Libram, who played trogg around turn 5. I will absolutely board lock you and then cloak, thanks for the invitation!

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I know nobody really cares about Battlegrounds any more but I just want to remind everyone how hard it is to play Ysera.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

It kind of seems like Battlegrounds is all most people care about these days, I can see why... despite not having any clue about the meta or the finer points of strategy I usually have fun just bumbling around when I play it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Because it's the one mode left where you're vaguely on an even playing field without having to play the 'Best deck(s)'.

I was going to say it's like a Draft mode, but actually it's the other way around - Arena SHOULD (or at least, it's presented as such) be a Draft mode, but the pool is too large and random to mean that Arena can draft one guy an S+ list whilst you are never offered the opportunity to do so.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I like BGs more than regular HS because I feel more in control (most of the times). Obviously RNG still comes into play but most turns you have a myriad of choices to make.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps

Kalko posted:

I've played a bit of Thief Rogue, too, but not enough to get a feel for the match-ups. But then data never lies, right? Though I assume results may differ depending upon your rank.

Yes, at higher ranks the matchup gets closer and last I saw at upper legend Thief Rogue became favored.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I tried Thief Rogue and had no idea what I was doing. I just really suck with Rogue.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Strawberry Panda posted:

I tried Thief Rogue and had no idea what I was doing. I just really suck with Rogue.

yeah there's a couple tricks of the trade with certain cards in that deck that you have to kind of know before you go in to playing it, or learn along the way...

From what I've seen that deck isn't actually very good outside of a few very specific plays / combos:

1) the 2nd or 3rd turn where they play the two Gnoll fuckers
2) the turn they play the hero card and poof your board
3) the hand buffed Edwin / Mr Smite finisher

Pretty much the rest of the game the thief rogue is falling behind on tempo and counting on fortunate RNG to scrape by. I can see how a lot of people playing the deck are saying "meh, it doesn't feel that good to play".

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Nah, the deck is strictly powerful. It thrives by doing the normal Rogue bullshit: lots of flexible burst/clearing damage from hand, a bunch of card draw, and a couple really strong tempo turns. It depends on having a really good mulligan, and unless you really understand matchups it struggles against control since you need to very precisely balance value vs. tempo on your discover choices.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Could just have the game I had just now where I got mountain bear and shan'do to copy it :shepface:

e: I've seen some variant of OTK poison rogue running around that runs prep + shroud of concealment to near-guarantee double gnolls in stealth on turn 1

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

How often do they add new minions to Battlegrounds? Every expansion?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The cycle is BG gets its big patch about halfway through expansions so that theyvcan alternate the focus. The last BG update was the big minion revamp so I'd be surprised if too much was added, maybe a new tribe?

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Where should I source decks now when d0nkey is down? Do you all use HSReplay premium or what?

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
watch what YouTubers post vids of and play those :smaug:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Boatswain posted:

Where should I source decks now when d0nkey is down? Do you all use HSReplay premium or what?

I use vicious syndicate when the reports are relatively new (as the current one is effective basically the end of December) for deck ideas. I don't think they are necessarily the best high legend decks in all cases or the absolutely most refined, but they haven't steered me wrong yet for the level I play at.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I just had the most ridiculous night lol.. Got home from work, decided to give the Beast Druid another whirl.. I had just been eating rear end on it to be honest, only got to D5 cause of multiplier, wasn't feeling the deck at all... well 5 hours later I'm in legend, rank 1k lol

Some real heart of the cards poo poo going on tonight.. hitting 1 outs for lethal, opponents never having the right cards to clear my board.. Once I got to D3 I knew I had to keep playing until I hit a losing streak and I never did :)

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Boatswain posted:

1) d0nkey is back? https://www.d0nkey.top/decks
2) vS Reports (#217 is being published tomorrow) https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-216/
3) I almost never use HSReplay for decklists, only for stats and sometimes for deck adjustment ideas.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

If you look at Streamer decks there's only a handful of players at higher levels, compared to earlier when it was highly populated: https://www.d0nkey.top/streamer-decks?worst_legend_rank=500

And yeah I read VS too, they seem to have a good grasp of the meta and good data-derived insight.

Thanks anyways!

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
There’s no way I’m getting Grand Marshall and that is bullshit

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Starsfan posted:

It kind of seems like Battlegrounds is all most people care about these days, I can see why... despite not having any clue about the meta or the finer points of strategy I usually have fun just bumbling around when I play it.

I've been thinking after this "year", or sooner, I might switch to exclusively playing BGs. Keeping up with the main game is starting to feel more like a chore. It might just be because it's run its course like any other game (especially after playing it more than usual the last 2 years), or it might be frustration from trying to keep up with the meta. I think I don't like how the meta basically gets "solved" and you basically have to build a deck around a certain archetype (and acquire certain cards) to win. Whereas I suppose I could just ignore all that and try to do my own thing, but then I feel the opposite, where I basically have absolutely no clue how to build a deck that actually works. Maybe I'm asking for the impossible, but I just don't feel like there's much middle ground, where you can still have a decent win rate without obsessing over how to max everything out.

I originally thought I might go all in on Mercenaries, but lol. I almost get some kind of PTSD just from seeing the option there and knowing how much of a grind it would be to try it again

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 6, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

orangelex44 posted:

Nah, the deck is strictly powerful. It thrives by doing the normal Rogue bullshit: lots of flexible burst/clearing damage from hand, a bunch of card draw, and a couple really strong tempo turns. It depends on having a really good mulligan, and unless you really understand matchups it struggles against control since you need to very precisely balance value vs. tempo on your discover choices.

Assuming you're talking about Masquerade Rogue: I've been playing only BGs for some time, but built Masquerade for doing dailies so I could stop rerolling. So far I'm 14-1 and just got my achievement for 12 consecutive wins. The deck is both extremely strong and simple to play.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Sir Lemming posted:

I've been thinking after this "year", or sooner, I might switch to exclusively playing BGs. Keeping up with the main game is starting to feel more like a chore. It might just be because it's run its course like any other game (especially after playing it more than usual the last 2 years), or it might be frustration from trying to keep up with the meta. I think I don't like how the meta basically gets "solved" and you basically have to build a deck around a certain archetype (and acquire certain cards) to win. Whereas I suppose I could just ignore all that and try to do my own thing, but then I feel the opposite, where I basically have absolutely no clue how to build a deck that actually works. Maybe I'm asking for the impossible, but I just don't feel like there's much middle ground, where you can still have a decent win rate without obsessing over how to max everything out.
I still play a lot of Hearthstone; I'm back up over 55k dust again but my unpopular Hearthstone hot take is that Gadgetzan was probably a mistake.

The old expansion schedule of Adventure, Expansion, Adventure was much much much better for the vast majority of Hearthstone players both because there were fewer cards to keep up on acquiring and because the comparative lower power of the 'meta' meant that there was more room for experimentation because there were fewer 'perfected' decks.

The change with Gadgetzan to Expansion, Adventure, Expansion (and now to just Expansion, Expansion, Expansion) puts a lot more cards into the game but that has a number of side effects on the meta and it is obviously much more expensive for players and collectors.

There was a point where Bloodmage Thalnos was almost universally agreed on as the 'perfect Legendary card' because he was impactful and useful in almost every deck without feeling like he swung entire games based on who drew him on curve. Now, I can't think of the last competitive deck that I've seen that includes him because the power level of cards and the need for them to have immediate in-game effect is so much higher.

(It also doesn't help that the design team for Hearthstone thinks they are a lot smarter than they actually are leading to the need for absurd nerf waves when the player base more or less instantly discovers the 'secret' of making The Demon Seed or Tasmin's Phylactery work; why were those cards released in that form in the first place? Did they seriously think people wouldn't break them on day one?)

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

I personally think standard is in a very good spot right now. There are more viable decks right now than nearly any meta I can remember - except for priest.

I think Thalnos is ran in Mozaki mage btw? Or maybe not mozaki but I've definitely seen it in high diamond recently.

ferroque fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 6, 2022

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
They have somewhere around 100M players, give or take 20M? There's simply no way for them to know every single interaction that those players can come up with. And once one person knows it, basically everyone knows it. I'm happy that this team actively does balance changes. The original Team 5 wanted to pretend like there wasn't a meta and the game was way less fun then.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I think this is one of the more varied metas that we've had in a long time, what I'm usually not a fan of is boring oppressive "tempo deck wins" metas, i.e. any where face rogue and face hunter are the decks to beat. Which has been the case for a really long time now.

At least some decks doing fun stuff (from my perspective) like ping mage, freeze shaman or clown druid are somewhat viable with some positive winrates.

My absolutely least favourite moments though are the ones where I'm about to stabilize or even able to win next turn, and then quest warrior gets exactly gorehowl and/or smite to steal the win. Hate that poo poo with a passion and has happened to me far more than it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'd wager most of the time you see Thalnos these days is out of Primordial Studies, where he's often the best choice.