Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

FilthyImp posted:

Everclear's Father of Mine is a clear progenitor. But at least that was kind of honest in its "this is some white boy problems"

father of mine is autobiographical. Alexakis's dad walked out of his life when he was like 5. how is that 'some white boy problems'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

The ‘96 Civic hatchback I replaced it with was a fuckin dog. But the other Civics that followed were fun-as-hell Sis.

I had two Civics Si - a 2000 and 2008. Nothing like running that tach up to 8100 RPM. So much fun!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Borsche69 posted:

how is that 'some white boy problems'
Everclear is over here talking about the endemic hate in society, Everlast is upset he's a scared white boy in a black neighborhood.

I mean, sure, for the 90s it's a horrific take for WASP America.

(I mean, I'm half kidding but a lot of that era was untreated resentment at daddy)

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

FilthyImp posted:

I think Emeril was only comfortable doing cooking stuff. You watch his show and you see he had a lot of chemistry with the audience. Kind of like a cool grandpa cooking for you or something.

The natural outgrowth would have been to do a hybrid cooking show / interview show with guests. Maybe he wasn't good as a regular talk host like Rachel Ray became.

Anyway, it seems like he saw the way the winds were going at Food Network and decided he was good. Honestly, making a few million at the time was pretty good. Who would have guessed they'd be tossing 80M deals around 20 years later???

In 2009, my wife and I went down to Cabo San Lucas to hit a couple of Sammy Hagar's birthday shows. At the actual one on 10/13, Emeril was on stage banging on a pair of drums that Sammy kept dumping tequila on. At the end of the show, Emeril chucked a drumstick into the audience that hit me square in the face. By the time I figured out what's up, some gal had picked the stick up from off the floor. Boo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Iron Crowned posted:

I love physical media, and I still buy a lot of it. It's not subject to digital compression or bit rate issues, but the best part of physical media is that I can watch it any time I want.

If I want to watch They Live, I can just stick the Blu-ray in right now, as opposed to hoping it's on one of the streaming services I'm subscribed to, and we all know transfer quality is a crapshoot (I'm looking at you Amazon).

Even buying a digital copy is a crapshoot, because some contract ends tomorrow, and oops! Now your movie is two free rentals from iTunes.

This goes back to bit rate issues, but streaming really isn't up to snuff for 4k HDR/Dolby Vision, and you really want a UHD disc for that (especially 80's and 90's action movies).

I guess what I'm saying is that if you're someone who cares about the best presentation, you're the weirdo who's buying physical media in 2021

Yea I really miss working at HMV or even having them everywhere because these days You can't just walk in and look at the racks of sale DVDs/BRDs and grab a few. Most of my collection that remains comes from that. Oh yea I'd buy Marvel movies on release day, but Ghostbusters, O brother where art thou, Jaws, stuff like that I grabbed because it was 10bux or 2 for 20 or what else. There's something much less satisfying about just ordering a specific item off a website, the lost art of browsing.

Browsing through netflix or whatever feels overwhelming, also there's so much crap on streaming services, poo poo that no one would have bothered to produce physically so your choices get cluttered.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Honestly, I've been going back and buying the hard copies of albums I already bought digitally . It's nice knowing that if my hard dri e goes tits up I won't completely lose my music collection

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Everclear is over here talking about the endemic hate in society, Everlast is upset he's a scared white boy in a black neighborhood.

You got that backwards

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

twistedmentat posted:

Browsing through netflix or whatever feels overwhelming, also there's so much crap on streaming services, poo poo that no one would have bothered to produce physically so your choices get cluttered.

Unless there is something specific I want to watch on a streaming service, I end up using a 3rd party website like justwatch to figure out what to watch; and I also have that thing where if I'm not using the streaming service for like hours every day I feel like I'm wasting my money.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sekhmnet posted:

Unless there is something specific I want to watch on a streaming service, I end up using a 3rd party website like justwatch to figure out what to watch; and I also have that thing where if I'm not using the streaming service for like hours every day I feel like I'm wasting my money.

I end up just watching the same times over and over. How many times have I watched Hot Fuzz because i couldn't be bothered to try something else? Like Halloween, I could have checked out a horror movie on netflix or amazon I had not seen before, but i just ended up watching Beetlejuice and The Thing.

I have fully moved over to streaming music though. I'm just waiting for the used CD store to start accepting old disks to get rid of what I have. Spotify fullfills my eclectic desires.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I end up just watching the same times over and over. How many times have I watched Hot Fuzz because i couldn't be bothered to try something else? Like Halloween, I could have checked out a horror movie on netflix or amazon I had not seen before, but i just ended up watching Beetlejuice and The Thing.

I have fully moved over to streaming music though. I'm just waiting for the used CD store to start accepting old disks to get rid of what I have. Spotify fullfills my eclectic desires.

I barely watch anything on the streaming platforms either because I’m overwhelmed, I don’t have time, or they’re not showing something I got the sudden hankering to watch. My wife and I wanted to watch Alien for Halloween but nobody was streaming. Might have been for the best though, our kid might not be ready yet. I keep them because my wife and kid still use them though.

That said, I did see that Taxi is on Hulu so I may have to carve out the time for that.

Fully on board with streaming music though, and have been from the early days. Radio has been a joke forever and the last time I bought a physical release was… 2010? Whenever Jónsi was touring for Go. Otherwise, I’ll get the occasional record because I’ve taken on my dad’s old hifi equipment this past summer but I’m not one of those smug audiophile weirds like my uncle.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

That said, I did see that Taxi is on Hulu so I may have to carve out the time for that.

They only have like half the episodes and it’s not by season either. A 22 episode season will only have 10 episodes available It’s the weirdest thing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

My wife and I wanted to watch Alien for Halloween but nobody was streaming.

FYI if you have a 4k TV with HDR and/or Dolby Vision, and an appropriate UHD player, the 4K disk from a couple years ago looks phenomenal.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Oh, for gently caress’s sake. Why even have a series on streaming at all then.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I barely watch anything on the streaming platforms either because I’m overwhelmed, I don’t have time, or they’re not showing something I got the sudden hankering to watch. My wife and I wanted to watch Alien for Halloween but nobody was streaming. Might have been for the best though, our kid might not be ready yet. I keep them because my wife and kid still use them though.

Fully on board with streaming music though, and have been from the early days. Radio has been a joke forever and the last time I bought a physical release was… 2010? Whenever Jónsi was touring for Go. Otherwise, I’ll get the occasional record because I’ve taken on my dad’s old hifi equipment this past summer but I’m not one of those smug audiophile weirds like my uncle.

It's easy when there's something new on, like with the MCU or Star Wars stuff on D+, but when its just "I want to watch something" it ends up just being the same stuff. I would give random stuff a chance way back but so much of it was garbage I stopped taking risks. Like even if I wanted to watch something for the chance of boobs, there normally wasn't.

I'd love to get into record collecting, but i'd need a decent turntable and setup and not this free crossley I have.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, I got lucky, my dad had a bunch of stuff from the early/mid ‘70s that was just gathering dust, including an open reel tape deck. The speakers need some work but overall it’s a decent rig for my use.

Cable TV was always a disappointment for boobs. The few times I had the opportunity to watch (not having had it as a kid), the “rated R for nudity” warnings always ended up being a letdown.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yeah, I got lucky, my dad had a bunch of stuff from the early/mid ‘70s that was just gathering dust, including an open reel tape deck. The speakers need some work but overall it’s a decent rig for my use.

Cable TV was always a disappointment for boobs. The few times I had the opportunity to watch (not having had it as a kid), the “rated R for nudity” warnings always ended up being a letdown.

Sadly my dad sold his set to some audiophile for a bunch of money. Original, 70s sony reciver and speakers, and great pioneer turn table.

Luckily Canada is loser with rules, so late night tv, especially on the weekend was pretty much guaranteed to see boobs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm pretty sure my dad gave away his turntable 20 years ago. I know he still had his records about 10 years ago, I'm sure he gave those away too, probably with all the weird 70's cookbooks about 5 years ago when they decided they didn't need books anymore.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Oh poo poo, that reminds me, I think my parents have a set of Better Homes & Gardens cookbooks from the ‘70s, along with the 1975 World Book Encyclopedia that I pored through all throughout elementary school in the ‘80s. I may have to inquire about those, though they’re not in the scope of this thread

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

If you don't mind renting Amazon pretty much has any and every mainstream title from the last 40 years on demand. You don't have to worry about late fees, ar least.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Well, one of the streaming services did end up having it a few days later. And I was right, the kid wasn’t ready yet. But it was Ash’s reveal as an android that freaked her out more than the chestburster.

Still a fantastic goddamn movie though.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmnxttvCp0w

a very late 90s-early 2000s (copyright 2000 Campus Crusade for Christ, Inc) (!) video about relationships. as awkwardly shot and edited as it is earnest. happy new year!

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Hey did you hear about that hurricane that hit New Orleans? Check out YTMND, it's the latest meme. "George Bush doesn't care about black people", oh Kanye.

That one gif that's just pictures of the floods, but with the Mario Bros underwater music playing on top? Mwah, perfection

Anyway I'm still a high school republican because I believe the government should be expanded to promote the general welfare and- what? No, the democrats are the party of small government, look at how they react to the patriot act and stuff. I know what I'm talking about as I'm fairly well-informed for my age. Whatever, send me a link and I'll read it later.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Happy Landfill posted:

Honestly, I've been going back and buying the hard copies of albums I already bought digitally . It's nice knowing that if my hard dri e goes tits up I won't completely lose my music collection

ha, same. plus all my favourite bands who were super expensive in the 2000s are super cheap used. I picked up a used copy of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!'s first album for 50 cents at a library.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
There were no new episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 produced during the 2000s. What a foul decade.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

je1 healthcare posted:

Anyway I'm still a high school republican because I believe the government should be expanded to promote the general welfare and- what? No, the democrats are the party of small government, look at how they react to the patriot act and stuff. I know what I'm talking about as I'm fairly well-informed for my age. Whatever, send me a link and I'll read it later.
lol I was a libertarian because obviously government interfering in things like saying "you can't get same-sex married" was bad

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Sometimes I wonder if we'd still be the mess we are as a country if Ron Paul had gotten distracted by a shiny gold bar or something on the way to turn in his application to run for president and didn't get to.

Libertarianism poisoned a generation of political discussion.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neito posted:

Sometimes I wonder if we'd still be the mess we are as a country if Ron Paul had gotten distracted by a shiny gold bar or something on the way to turn in his application to run for president and didn't get to.

Libertarianism poisoned a generation of political discussion.

:lol:

You'd have to go back a long time.

If you've ever seen Richard Linklater's Slacker, a film from 1990, there's a Ron Paul billboard in the background at one point.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i remember growing up in the 2000s as two separate, equally baffling phenomenons

the first was everybody turning into bloodthirsty racist lunatics and somehow nobody seemed to realize how insane they were. you'd turn on the tv and there'd be a pundit round table saying things like "is torture good?" and "we're fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them here." every show had either a mexican druglord villian or a middle-eastern terrorist villian. 24, 24/7

the second is the explosion of webcomics, especially sprite and gaming comics, which are almost all rightfully forgotten today. its not strange that people would make them since 99 percent were chasing success cloning the "big names" (penny arcade and bob and george) and were super low effort. what's strange is that people (including me) actually read them. i can only assume most of their audience was like me, bored kids looking for daily media, which is also why a few years later they all faded into the aether.

what a dark time. no matter how bad the country is now at least nobody is reading sprite comics.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

kid radd was good though

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Stexils posted:

i remember growing up in the 2000s as two separate, equally baffling phenomenons

the first was everybody turning into bloodthirsty racist lunatics and somehow nobody seemed to realize how insane they were. you'd turn on the tv and there'd be a pundit round table saying things like "is torture good?" and "we're fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them here." every show had either a mexican druglord villian or a middle-eastern terrorist villian. 24, 24/7

the second is the explosion of webcomics, especially sprite and gaming comics, which are almost all rightfully forgotten today. its not strange that people would make them since 99 percent were chasing success cloning the "big names" (penny arcade and bob and george) and were super low effort. what's strange is that people (including me) actually read them. i can only assume most of their audience was like me, bored kids looking for daily media, which is also why a few years later they all faded into the aether.

what a dark time. no matter how bad the country is now at least nobody is reading sprite comics.

I blame two things for Sprite comics. 8-Bit Theater and Mega Man

The former because it was a sprite comic but it had a few things going for it, specifically that it had a modicum of effort put into it with some liberal use of Photoshop and at least something resembling composition, and was, for the time, relatively funny. Also it happened to come about right as NES nostalgia was peaking but just after Final Fantasy had become mainstream so everything else just sort of rolled out from there.

Mega Man's NES sprites lent themselves nicely to what might be called the Sonic phenomenon (or the My Little Pony FiM phenomenon, etc.) where it demonstrated that you could use one basic Sprite model and do some light tweaks to turn it into many different things. Like Sonic or MLP or other such media that use modular template characters, you could easily make a custom Sprite that fits handily into an existing style that is visually appealing enough to be popular and also very recognizable. Hence the abundance of lovely Sprite comics using Mega Man as a base.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I was tangentially involved in the sprite comic community at the time (mostly in the old Bob and George related sphere) and it was this, combined with the fact that there were a handful of decent editors who specialized in Mega Man-based sprites and a whole bunch of people getting custom sprite sheets from them to make their own comics, if they didn't just do the whole "recolor" route.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Stexils posted:

the explosion of webcomics

I've been slowing re-reading Achewood over the past few months and imho it really holds up (aside from the earliest strips where it was still finding its voice). Some of the references are outdated of course, but a lot of the strips were still making me laugh 20 years later.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Argyle posted:

I've been slowing re-reading Achewood over the past few months and imho it really holds up (aside from the earliest strips where it was still finding its voice). Some of the references are outdated of course, but a lot of the strips were still making me laugh 20 years later.

It does a lot of the Dave Sim -type burrowing-into-its-own-rear end in a top hat orthography shenanigans that I hate, but only occasionally. And as far as I know, Frank Achewood never went insane like Dave Sim.

I'm thinkin, for instance, of the couple with the chinchillas.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Stexils posted:

I remember these as a single phenomenon

http://www.mnftiu.cc/category/gywo/war1/

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Sprite comics never did it for me, but if I was just a little younger, I'm sure they would have - I was almost completely checked out from gaming between about 1999 and 2005 which seemed to be when "gamer" coalesced into a sort-of subculture. I worked in a video game store in late Uni and for a few months after in 2005-2007 and the Mario shirt kind of style left me a bit hollow.

The first Scott Pilgrim book coming out in 2004 feels dead-on, capturing that lovely "I can't be a bad guy, I'm a loser!" attitude that manifests in both gamer and indie-rock circles.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I heard, "Who Are You" by The Who this morning on the radio, and it got me thinking that CSI is probably the most 2000's TV show.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I'd submit :twentyfour:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Why does an image of a remote evoke such strong memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Because DirecTV was awful and fiddling with the remote was probably part of that