Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

So it's just some quack bullshit? Tbh I still don't get what that anecdote says about djokovic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It implies that the medical exemption letter is probably "Donald TrumpNovak Djokovic has the goodest health ever and naturally produces every vaccine, A. Doctor"

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Perfect Element posted:

So it's just some quack bullshit?

Duck fat.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1478849511434997764

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Wayfaring Stranger posted:

High five commercial arch buddy! Seconding all that. The time frames for mitigations are agreed with the client, and based on expected encounters with archaeology. Through geophysics (what I do) and/or trial trenching, the teams get a sense of what's there before the topsoil gets stripped off. That's the difference between a 3 month job and a year-long one. The only time we run in while other non-arch crews are working is what's called a watching brief, and that has to do with the installation of pipelines/cables, where subsurface intervention has a smaller footprint.

I think what folk may not know is that everything gets sampled, rather than fully excavated. So, I was working on a big site near Didcot and we excavated half the pits (as in every pit, but half the contents) and 1-metre sections in every 10m of ditch, but all human remains. It still produced a fuckton of material for analysis.

Similarly, my only encounters with time team have been with the by-episode experts (Stewart Ainsworth and Helen Geake are both super lovely), and passing Phil Harding in the corridors at Wessex in Salisbury so I'm not able to comment on the methodology.

Didn't realise there was an arche contingent here! I work in Australia so slightly different context but yeah typically we work under development time pressure but the time team '3 days to get things done' isn't really a thing. We do a fair amount of watching brief work for histarch and lots of survey and test excavation for indigenous arch. Almost never use geophysics which is a shame as I enjoy geophys work!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Let him do it but he has to

A) Use only the same amount of people and equipment the other four lads used
B) Also has to dump it in the nearest body of water.

Let's see him drag granite Karl to the Thames.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I like how "wrote some books about his thoughts on society and otherwise was a good lad by all accounts" and "directly and indirectly caused inhumane suffering for hundreds of slaves for his own profit" are apparently equivalent.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pierson posted:

Let's see him find three friends.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Let's see him find three friends.

Four friends. There's no way he'll put himself at risk doing it. Better to 'just ask questions' and 'oh my, I cannot believe someone did this!' after.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Private Speech posted:

I like how "wrote some books about his thoughts on society and otherwise was a good lad by all accounts" and "directly and indirectly caused inhumane suffering for hundreds of slaves for his own profit" are apparently equivalent.

Now now, let’s not ruin Colston’s legacy. During his tenure the company procured over 84,000 slaves. Hundreds was a standard Tuesday.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

It implies that the medical exemption letter is probably "Donald TrumpNovak Djokovic has the goodest health ever and naturally produces every vaccine, A. Doctor"

Oh absolutely. And Djokovic seems bull headed enough to go to court with evidence as flimsy as that and still think he'd win because that's just what he would do.

It's also possible that the medical exemption he is talking about is the fact the he had Covid within six months. Now this is something that he hadn't previously disclosed but he had apparently got Covid and recovered (though I can't find the date of his previous confirmed case.)
Now honestly if it were me and I got Covid once, I think that would make me want to get a vaccine. But look Djokovic is a professional athlete. It's not like he relies on his body being in top physical condition.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Pierson posted:

I re-opened the thread to this and thought it was about Djokovic :v:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

The Question IRL posted:

But look Djokovic is a professional athlete. It's not like he relies on his body being in top physical condition.

Have you considered the fact that jocks are dumb?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I feel we're, at most, a week away from people being told they should still go to work if they test positive. It feels like society might genuinely collapse otherwise.

The problem here is that Omicron, while milder than previous variants, can still severely impair your ability to work. I'm not convinced that having a lot of incredibly sick people being told to go to the office is going to mitigate social collapse - instead, it'll probably accelerate it.

Remember that a primary function of lockdowns and furlough schemes was to preserve the economy when economic activity became too difficult, dangerous, and unpopular.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The funny part is that yes, you can pull down the statues if you want, it doesn't change his accomplishments, if there were no statues of the guy he still wouldn't be forgotten because his work is foundational to so many people across the world.

If you need a statue to be remembered, you probably shouldn't be.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A bit of schadenfreude from across the pond:

https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1478834609236238338

I'm looking forward to watching a Tory minister or few do the same over the next few weeks.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

OwlFancier posted:

The funny part is that yes, you can pull down the statues if you want, it doesn't change his accomplishments, if there were no statues of the guy he still wouldn't be forgotten because his work is foundational to so many people across the world.

If you need a statue to be remembered, you probably shouldn't be.

Yeah, this is just Buster Bluth trying to throw the hand vacuum at the bus.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

The Question IRL posted:

Now honestly if it were me and I got Covid once, I think that would make me want to get a vaccine. But look Djokovic is a professional athlete. It's not like he relies on his body being in top physical condition.
The overall response of sports people to the vaccines suggests that for a given population, willingness to take the vaccine and willingness to take harmful-but-performance-enhancing substances have an inverse relationship.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

being a slave trader and writing a book are literally the same thing

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Paperhouse posted:

being a slave trader and writing a book are literally the same thing

A statue in a public square and a consecrated grave are also the same thing

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

So it's just some quack bullshit?

But the tonsils are very happy

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

Have you considered the fact that jocks are dumb?

No, a lot of jocks are just really focused on doing one or two things and know when to trust someone else to advice them at areas they aren't good at. They particularly work well when there are teams of them playing together and they support each other by putting aside personal beliefs for the greater good to accomplish great things. Meanwhile Novak is doing his Liberterian, cod-medical focus on what he wants to do and ignoring societies overall rules.

It's all about the individual over the group.

In short Djokovic is dumb, Jocks aren't dumb.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There does seem to be a theme of some types of athletes avoiding getting vaccinated, but I don't know if that's any different to any other group of young highly paid and high status men.

Footballers do seem to be less likely to fall into the libertarian trap than other young male high earners, perhaps that's the team spirit, or perhaps that's because we only hear about the ones raising money for feeding kids.

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/doctor_oxford/status/1478716470502776836

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

There does seem to be a theme of some types of athletes avoiding getting vaccinated, but I don't know if that's any different to any other group of young highly paid and high status men.

Footballers do seem to be less likely to fall into the libertarian trap than other young male high earners, perhaps that's the team spirit, or perhaps that's because we only hear about the ones raising money for feeding kids.

Premiership footballers are less than 50% vaccinated - and are definitely selfish and dumb as poo poo, on average.

(Interestingly Italian players are almost 100% vaccinated but then the Italian government has been much more robust in pushing the vaccines and is apparently about to actually go into full "Yeah you don't leave the house if you're not vaccinated" mode)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

I had heard that the problem with the NHS wasn't literal beds and buildings, it was staff. Which is why the giant Nightingale they made out of the Excel Centre in London is back to doing conventions again - there were no staff to run it as a hospital, and the government has no interest in training or attracting more.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Premiership footballers are less than 50% vaccinated - and are definitely selfish and dumb as poo poo, on average.

(Interestingly Italian players are almost 100% vaccinated but then the Italian government has been much more robust in pushing the vaccines and is apparently about to actually go into full "Yeah you don't leave the house if you're not vaccinated" mode)

Italy's covid rules also led to this story.

Italian man tries to dodge Covid vaccine with fake arm https://jrnl.ie/5619489

Like part of me is amazed at how people are willing to go to such lengths over just getting a vaccine.
Like I know your brain is broken but surely it's easier (and cheaper) to get the vaccine for real as opposed to trying to commit fraud.

Them again I felt a similar way when people earlier in the thread were talking about getting Plexes, VPN's and sharing systems to download movies and TV's as opposed to just getting a subscription to Netflix.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gort posted:

I had heard that the problem with the NHS wasn't literal beds and buildings, it was staff. Which is why the giant Nightingale they made out of the Excel Centre in London is back to doing conventions again - there were no staff to run it as a hospital, and the government has no interest in training or attracting more.

They were never meant to be hospitals for treatment anyway. They were just places to send sick people to die after COVID-19 was allowed to rip through the population. Tory donors making profit from a death toll that would have exceeded that of the entire Second World War in a single year was just a coincidence, I'm sure.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

The Question IRL posted:

Them again I felt a similar way when people earlier in the thread were talking about getting Plexes, VPN's and sharing systems to download movies and TV's as opposed to just getting a subscription to Netflix.

Just getting vaccinated is much easier than doing a J Walter Weatherman impression, but I think the point was that Netflix et al made accessing TV shows easier, and now it's becoming harder again as stuff fragments. And there are still hangovers from the old days of who has the rights to stuff, especially internationally.

I have Netflix and Disney+ at the moment, but if I google "here money, how I watch show X?", sometimes the answer is either "you can't" or "you need to change your internet provider because they have the rights".

Sadly I can't see a Spotify/Apple Music/etc situation where everyone has everything anytime soon.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Gort posted:

The 'problem' was that any patient moved to one o the Nightingale hospitals had to be accompanied by a nurse from the hospital they were being transferred from.
Given that on a typical ward, one nurse can be in charge of 7-8 patients (I think it's supposed to be less, but, eh, staffing shortages), you can see why very few patients ended up being transferred to the Nightingales.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Good news everyone! Starmer has blocked the Conservatives every exit - they are now stuck in Government!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/06/starmer-lawyer-johnson-labour-leader-conservatives-prime-minister

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The Question IRL posted:

Italy's covid rules also led to this story.

Italian man tries to dodge Covid vaccine with fake arm https://jrnl.ie/5619489

Like part of me is amazed at how people are willing to go to such lengths over just getting a vaccine.
Like I know your brain is broken but surely it's easier (and cheaper) to get the vaccine for real as opposed to trying to commit fraud.

Netflix costs money, and to have decent access to most things needs at least two extra services as well.

Plex costs nothing.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BhChillin76/status/1479025365817475072

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

goddamnedtwisto posted:

FWIW this isn't true - 92% of players and staff have had at least 1 vaccine, and 84% are on "the vaccination journey" (whatever that means). There's a few clubs that have publicly said are fully vaccinated (Liverpool being one of them, who are currently having a mass covid outbreak sigh).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Must be lung cancer.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I do think it's worth bearing in mind that there are sometimes perfectly legitimate reasons for instinctive vaccine hesitancy, particularly amongst certain demographics. I very much doubt there's anything particularly nefarious happening with the covid shots beyond neoliberalism.txt, but I would be wary of writing off those anxieties as purely the product of stupidity or selfishness. (though they obviously are also factors)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Must be lung cancer.

When this happened to a bunch of denialists in the States they all claimed to have been dosed with anthrax, looking forward to see what our plucky homegrown fuckwits come up with.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah there's valid reasons for vaccine hesitancy. There's no valid reason for mask hesitancy.

If you cannot wear a mask and you don't want a vaccine, then it's incumbent on you to not go partying in Whitby with three idiots.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
For professional athletes just the mild side effects of vaccination could prevent effective training for a couple of days, maybe ruining the entire week's program.

Catching COVID-19 while unvaccinated just could gently caress up your performance for weeks, years, or even permanently. But who'd thought young uneducated men would take stupid unnecessary risks??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think there are legitimate reasons for not getting vaccinated when billions of other people have and are fine, actually.