Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

colonizing mars is dumb as poo poo because not only is there jack poo poo there, it's at the bottom of a giant gravity well. "oh well its got polar ice caps" who cares there's water all over the loving place. theres so much water on ceres its pissing it into space constantly. If you're going to go to mars you might as well go a little further and colonize some asteroids which will be way easier and more useful to everyone involved.

also for the energy and resources it'd take to terraform mars up to even like "don't die instantly if you take off your spacesuit helmet" range you could build a million perfect paradise ecology oneil cylinders or stanford toruses or whatever. mars sucks rear end. the only thing that planet is good for is killing elon musk

This is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Dolphin posted:

mars "colonization" is so unbelievably stupid. i actually hope musk does maroon himself on Mars 20 minutes away from communication with anyone and at least 6 months from any assistance at all. the "colonists" would all eat each other.

Yeah makes no sense not to build a lunar base first or even a cloud city over Venus, which at least has terrestrial-level gravity and won't leave everyone with atrophied muscles and bones

it's pretty wild to think about how deeply ingrained the exploitation cycle of capitalism is in our psyches that the most reasonable explanation to the drake paradox isn't treated seriously if it isn't mentioned at all: truly advanced civilizations have no reason to expand throughout the universe. Why would you? What is there to gain that you couldn't just make at home (or simulate)? Expand to a comfortable size and secure enough resources to live well through deep time, or however long you think your civilization needs to continue. Or shrink inwards until you require relatively few resources and live (basically) forever spinning around the event horizon of a big black hole, or something even more exotic.

Even if they're only on one planet like we are you would think we would be hearing their transmissions at least.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Maximo Roboto posted:

Even if they're only on one planet like we are you would think we would be hearing their transmissions at least.

hard to say, we've only been looking for a very short time with tools that will probably only pick up very close range poo poo unless it's transmitting with insane power. Maybe you want to spend potentially millions of civilizational years' worth of energy trying to say high to your dumber neighbors, but that seems like a stretch. Technologically advanced civilizations probably have smarter and more efficient communications networks that don't just poo poo information everywhere like radio, and if that's the case the probability we'd catch someone in their radio stage when we're in ours would be insanely small.

I think its way more likely that the first sign of intelligent life we find is wouldn't be actual active signals, but evidence of megastructures like dyson spheres, which we might have found already. There's Tabby's Star which might be a candidate and maybe a dozen others that might also at least worthy of investigation, but probably no conclusions can be reached with the technology we have available now.
But then again even something like a dyson sphere or swarm might be considered insanely wasteful and megalomaniacal by any sufficiently advanced intelligence. I remember reading a really compelling paper once about how it's more likely that everyone eventually figures out the only foolproof way to survive into deep time is to hang out around ultra massive black holes, so as soon as you can you pack up your civilization and head out to the nearest big one. Also you're smart enough to know that everyone else probably figured this out too, so you don't bother with any sort of expensive SETI because everyone worth talking to is already hanging out at your destination anyway.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't think that humans have collectively been looking at enough of the universe hard enough or long enough to be able to make any determinations about how common life is or isn't out there, tbh

the human adventure is just beginning

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

gently caress space

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

excited the webb is past its most difficult deployment part, the sunshield seems to have gone well

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Dolphin posted:

depends. elon musk bad. nasa good.

more telescopes and rovers, less deranged imbeciles building throbbing space cocks

NASA is firmly part of the MIC. That's why they made the space shuttle hand in glove with the air force and able to snatch Soviet satellites. Well, when I say "they" made it I mean mostly Boeing and Rockwell.
Now they're probably busy developing space weapons with the space force.

Commercial space poo poo like musk is doing a lot of DoD work too. This is why aside from the obvious waste of resources I'm opposed to space crap now. It's just going to be used for war and even more terrible weapons.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
ian malcolm was right

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
my take on space exploration is that space is cool as hell but it's also big and empty and inhospitable and therefore we should explore it to learn more about the universe and our place in it but exploring it should serve to complement solutions for problems here on Earth rather than to replace solutions or exacerbate those problems

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Weka posted:

NASA is firmly part of the MIC. That's why they made the space shuttle hand in glove with the air force and able to snatch Soviet satellites. Well, when I say "they" made it I mean mostly Boeing and Rockwell.
Now they're probably busy developing space weapons with the space force.

Commercial space poo poo like musk is doing a lot of DoD work too. This is why aside from the obvious waste of resources I'm opposed to space crap now. It's just going to be used for war and even more terrible weapons.

That's just because getting into space is expensive so it can only be done by the MIC or big tech. We need to mutual aid our way to a people's space program.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
the only manned space exploration i support is building huge rockets to fire billionaires into quasars and such, that will give us valuable data about how gnarly it is to get killed by a quasar

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Maximo Roboto posted:

That's just because getting into space is expensive so it can only be done by the MIC or big tech. We need to mutual aid our way to a people's space program.

hahaha can you imagine an anarchist attempt at a space programme

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Maximo Roboto posted:

International anarchist space program!? Someone get me the head of antifa!
E: That will teach me not to reload the page (it will not).

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

exmarx posted:

yeah I put firecrackers under garbage cans all the time as a kid too

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

the most reasonable explanation to the drake paradox isn't treated seriously if it isn't mentioned at all: truly advanced civilizations have no reason to expand throughout the universe. Why would you? What is there to gain that you couldn't just make at home (or simulate)?

this also applies to wanting to see what’s going on across the river, or in that cave. maybe something cool, how could we know or guess?

plus humans like to explore poo poo, it’s fun. idc if the Moon is dead and boring I still want to go

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I meant in the sense of like sci-fi galactic empires. geometric expansion via generation ships or von neumann terraformers or whatever leading to a fully populated galaxy in only a few million years' time. I bet if you're a smart civilization you see very quickly how that's a weird and wasteful (and probably self-destructive) thing to pursue. I'd imagine exploration for knowledge and curiosity's sake is something any technological civilization would have some sort of interest in, and I bet you'd find artefacts like probes around galactic points of interest even now, but I think there's very little impetus to load up a space ship full of people and actually make them go live 300 light years away from everything and everyone for the sake of a big rock having a nonlethal atmosphere.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

exmarx posted:

Given the degree of complexity and required specialization in developing, deploying, and operating space systems and their cost & risk to stakeholders, hierarchical organization really is the optimal structure.

Anarchic, e.g., interface control would be hilarious though with engineers arguing for requirements that make their life easiest.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wish i was alive just before and during the crash of '29

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
be better than the bourgeoisie in space exploration

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:corsair:

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Maximo Roboto posted:

We need to mutual aid our way to a people's space program.

I'd really like to play this video game.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

jesus

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
the challenger explosion was an honest to goodness tragedy

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
they deserved it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

exmarx posted:

they deserved it

gently caress that teacher

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maximo Roboto posted:

We need to mutual aid our way to a people's space program.

i can afford to keep purchasing this decision for 23 years and, if needed, longer

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

i say swears online posted:

gently caress that teacher

a.a.a.b.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the kkkhallenger "disaster"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

exmarx posted:

the kkkhallenger "disaster"

whitey in the stratosphere

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Smythe posted:

the challenger explosion was an honest to goodness tragedy

I watched it happen with my own eyes. I remember my mother crying.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

whitey in the stratosphere

my nigga

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I watched it happen with my own eyes. I remember my mother crying.

Lol your mom is a wuss

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is she like brain damaged or something???

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

was your dad on the challenger or something lol why did she cry

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

just close ur eyes hahahaha

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

indigi posted:

Yeah actually he was...

Not really, but everyone was pretty shook when it happened. Many folks who were close enough to see the explosion were very economically tied to the space program so people were worried about losing jobs and such.

Also, there hadn't been a big explosive American space disaster ever. The Apollo 1 launchpad fire was a pretty big deal but it didn't grab headlines like the Challenger. No one really knew what would happen to the program for a while.

But the military is perfectly happy to burn a few test pilots (and unlucky teachers) now and then and they kinda run poo poo so business carried on pretty soon.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

indigi posted:

oh dam a something exploded in the sky. call me if the debris does anything cool

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

oh dam a something exploded in the sky. call me if the debris does anything cool

when the other one blew up on re-entry it scattered debris across half of north texas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

when the other one blew up on re-entry it scattered debris across half of north texas

There was a lesser panic about layoffs with Columbia too but they just sent a bunch of the shuttle engineers to Houston to sort bits of fragments for a few months.