Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Had my first encounter with nobles today, and this thread prepared me well even though I was not properly equipped. I have no polearms or anything, my only range two melee weapon is my battle standard and it was a night battle in the woods, so my archers were not going to be super effective either. And the nobles found a natural choke point between two trees to set their line. So not a great set-up.

But! I remembered two comments in particular, 1.) Don't worry if AI allies die and 2.) Every round you spend fighting their foot soldiers is a round lost. So I was content to shield/spearwall a while while my archers plinked at their crossbowmen/pikemen. And two AI caravan hands were nice enough to martyr themselves on the front line so I didn't have to. Meanwhile, I snuck two bros and a wardog through the trees to north and they circled around to feast on the softened crossbowmen and that was pretty much battle over once they arrived. It felt great. Probably my best victory yet.

All told I took no fatalities, looted a shiny new crossbow, 2 pikes, 2 arming swords, 3 shields, and new helmets for pretty much my whole front line. And I think 2 of my guys earned titles if I can figure out what to call them. One for the guy who snuck through the trees and wrecked the backline, and one for the bro who took an awful pike hit to the dome and then spent the rest of the battle on death's door, improbably dodging blows as an unintentional but supereffective tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Jarvisi posted:

It's a vicious cycle of me not being able to justify spending 3k on new ranged weapons and them not doing any damage

tier 3 ranged weapons are usually worth buying once you can afford it/facing enemies worth justifying the price, especially because you can only get them as loot from master archers or arbalests. a 10 point jump in damage from a t2 ranged weapon and t3 ranged weapon is alot easier to justify the price than say going from a 5 point difference in a t3 arming sword to a t4 noble sword.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Noble fights were literally made for front line builds that take quick hands and have the reach version of their two hander spec.

That is your 2handed axe guys have a long axe, your 2handed mace guys have a polemace and so on.

Oh no the noble shield wall is blocking me. Best pull out this big rear end weapon and chunk their backline anyway.

Yeah for the big battle contract I'll just switch every one of my guys to ranged or reach weapons before the fight.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The battle standard upgrade mod is neat: https://www.nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/mods/138

It gives the flag you get from the starting ambition most of the stats of the pike so you can carry your lil flag into battle a bit longer.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I pretty much always use my flag, and my flag guy usually scores a lot of kills. Call me crazy.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Veryslightlymad posted:

I pretty much always use my flag, and my flag guy usually scores a lot of kills. Call me crazy.

I call you lucky, flag dps sucks

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

every weapon's gonna have bad DPS if you take too long on your turn

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

dpt then funny guy

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Veryslightlymad posted:

Same and tbh while the banner does indeed lack damage compared to some other reach weapons it is imo not as big a deal in most fights as some players might say. I think I only reallly notice against big hp enemies like orks or unholds :shrug:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's less that my banner gets kills and more than he helps bring enemies down into one-more-hit range for my mainline fighters

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I think it's probably positioning more than anything. He's in the middle, so he's got carte blanche to attack whoever the weakest looking dude is without moving.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

alpha_destroy posted:

Had my first encounter with nobles today, and this thread prepared me well even though I was not properly equipped. I have no polearms or anything, my only range two melee weapon is my battle standard and it was a night battle in the woods, so my archers were not going to be super effective either. And the nobles found a natural choke point between two trees to set their line. So not a great set-up.

But! I remembered two comments in particular, 1.) Don't worry if AI allies die and 2.) Every round you spend fighting their foot soldiers is a round lost. So I was content to shield/spearwall a while while my archers plinked at their crossbowmen/pikemen. And two AI caravan hands were nice enough to martyr themselves on the front line so I didn't have to. Meanwhile, I snuck two bros and a wardog through the trees to north and they circled around to feast on the softened crossbowmen and that was pretty much battle over once they arrived. It felt great. Probably my best victory yet.

All told I took no fatalities, looted a shiny new crossbow, 2 pikes, 2 arming swords, 3 shields, and new helmets for pretty much my whole front line. And I think 2 of my guys earned titles if I can figure out what to call them. One for the guy who snuck through the trees and wrecked the backline, and one for the bro who took an awful pike hit to the dome and then spent the rest of the battle on death's door, improbably dodging blows as an unintentional but supereffective tank.

I suck at this game, but that sort of thing is what keeps me playing.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

I just use a billhook or swordlance on my bannerman most of the time. The standard stays in his bag (I always prioritise Fatigue and go Nimble on a bannerman, so I can afford the fatigue) or in the stash, I take it out for Gheist fights only. Rally still works OK without the standard tbh.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Imagine going into battle without your flag! What kind of fun hater prioritizes a slight damage boost over the pride of your company!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Just let me put the fuckin flag on a long axe already goddamnit

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

on a helmet with a flagpole attached

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

aphid_licker posted:

Just let me put the fuckin flag on a long axe already goddamnit

Honestly, why not?

But yeah, it's a slight damage boost to use a conventional weapon, and I know a "little" damage in this game tends to add up, but like, the bannerman is usually a guy that I have that has really strong resolve and not a whole lot else going for him. It gets the bonuses to polearm weaponry, and you know, he's there to pick off stragglers before the next turn. Frequently, it's an old-hand that got beat up and maybe took a brain injury or something.

But really, it's personal choice and how I see the game. I don't min-max, like, at all. (I tend to build sane level-ups, but that's about it) I don't fire guys unless they're truly, deeply awful or have taken an absolute deal-breaker of a permanent injury. I might fire a guy fairly early just to get the Drill Sergeant. I like to envision these guys as a rag-tag little company of hard-scrabble dudes from eclectic backgrounds. Having a company standard on the field just feels right, the same way that booting ol' Arnulf the Beggar from the company feels wrong. Arnulf's been around since I needed extra bodies to fight that son of a bitch Hogart the Weasel.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Worth bearing in mind too the passive resolve boost to most of the company from having the standard isn't anything to sneeze at. Even in fights that aren't resolve heavy, like geists, getting little boosts to every morale check makes your company more likely to hit confident all round and get the big stat boosts from that, and to avoid getting the stat penalties from going down a morale level after taking a hit or getting surrounded.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

punishedkissinger posted:

on a helmet with a flagpole attached

Fantasy Japan DLC pls:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Morale boost for each additional flag, as in real life

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Veryslightlymad posted:

But really, it's personal choice and how I see the game. I don't min-max, like, at all. (I tend to build sane level-ups, but that's about it) I don't fire guys unless they're truly, deeply awful or have taken an absolute deal-breaker of a permanent injury. I might fire a guy fairly early just to get the Drill Sergeant. I like to envision these guys as a rag-tag little company of hard-scrabble dudes from eclectic backgrounds. Having a company standard on the field just feels right, the same way that booting ol' Arnulf the Beggar from the company feels wrong. Arnulf's been around since I needed extra bodies to fight that son of a bitch Hogart the Weasel.

:yeah:

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
My banner guy just got 3 kills in 1 battle lol. I like to imagine the other company men getting mad at him for stealing their glory.

Just passed a burned out farmhouse or something with a dead orc and dead goblin. Does this mean the Greenskin invasion is starting? I'm scared.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

alpha_destroy posted:

My banner guy just got 3 kills in 1 battle lol. I like to imagine the other company men getting mad at him for stealing their glory.

Just passed a burned out farmhouse or something with a dead orc and dead goblin. Does this mean the Greenskin invasion is starting? I'm scared.
Yeah, you'll get events that indicate what crisis is spinning up and that's probably the greenskin invasion.

The fun thing about a crisis though is that you're still a merc. You don't need to gently caress around with crisis contracts at all if you don't want to. I dislike the greenskin invasion because Orc Warriors are probably my most hated unit that aren't very rare (I hate Hexen and Lindwurms, but you generally don't bump into them on the map much). Goblins are more *annoying* in the sense they make you angry, but Orc Warriors are just 1000% more annoying in a practical sense since you can't indom and attack in the same round anymore to keep them from shoving your entire line around.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Speaking of witches, I didn't know what hex does and lost my best sniper in an ironman game that way

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Yeah, you'll get events that indicate what crisis is spinning up and that's probably the greenskin invasion.

The fun thing about a crisis though is that you're still a merc. You don't need to gently caress around with crisis contracts at all if you don't want to. I dislike the greenskin invasion because Orc Warriors are probably my most hated unit that aren't very rare (I hate Hexen and Lindwurms, but you generally don't bump into them on the map much). Goblins are more *annoying* in the sense they make you angry, but Orc Warriors are just 1000% more annoying in a practical sense since you can't indom and attack in the same round anymore to keep them from shoving your entire line around.

Now that I build 'skirmisher' throwers who also have 80+ MAttk, some MDef, and of course Duelist, Quick Hands and a winged mace in their bag, I am absolutely fine with Orc Warriors giving up attacks to bull rush into my lines. They can generally be broken down to 'fleeing' morale just afterward.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I still don't know how anyone takes on an orc warlord camp without an entire line of 2h hammer bro's.

I think the answer is "you don't".

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

dogstile posted:

I still don't know how anyone takes on an orc warlord camp without an entire line of 2h hammer bro's.

I think the answer is "you don't".

I've had good experiences with a wedge formation. Two 2h brawlers at the front (Usually have to start with a tank in one of the slots to use Indomitable and then swap with the brawler that doesn't have the orc trophy necklace), and a whip user with great MATK somewhere in the wedge to disarm the warlord himself. If you set it up right, the orc warriors don't stun nearly as many people and can't really pinball their way in to your fragile boys, and the brawlers at the front get a great set-up for doing sword/hammer swings. The downside is that if both of the brawlers heading the formation take a lot of unlucky damage early on it's really hard to cycle them both out to somewhere safe, but that seems to just put me on par with a line-versus-line formation so there's not really any extra risk as far as I can tell.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I've been trying Davkul but it's been 60 days and I haven't done a sacrifice yet? I'm very confused

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jarvisi posted:

I've been trying Davkul but it's been 60 days and I haven't done a sacrifice yet? I'm very confused
I think you have to be so far from a city for it to happen?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Fabricated posted:

I think you have to be so far from a city for it to happen?

Nope, there's cultist events that require you to not be near a settlement but the sacrifice isn't one of them. The time between sacrifices has big variance though, 60 days is annoyingly super high for an amount of time without a sacrifice but not particularly shocking.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Count Uvula posted:

Nope, there's cultist events that require you to not be near a settlement but the sacrifice isn't one of them. The time between sacrifices has big variance though, 60 days is annoyingly super high for an amount of time without a sacrifice but not particularly shocking.

I'd honestly advocate for the mod that cuts it by a third, it's so drat long.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah I watched a YouTube series on a cultist run and the chance to get the event normally is way too low and cooldowns too long

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Donkringel posted:

I'd honestly advocate for the mod that cuts it by a third, it's so drat long.
Yeah! I use a mod in my cultists games because the vanilla settings are too drat slow. It can also be found in the doc I linked earlier

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I finally got round to achieving the 'retire with a legendary company' thing. (You need >6k renown and to have beaten 2 crises)

My problem is I want to do the end-game content (Sunken Library, Goblin City, Black Monolith, Kraken, Witch Hut) but I never keep my interest in the play-through once the spiral of better gear etc tapers off into a grind for the chance of famed items, and a Sisyphean search for ultimate-rolled recruits. I should just march straight to the monolith with what I have and see how it goes I guess. My bros are good material and I'm very happy with the builds I'm currently using.

I did manage an Arena Tournament for the first time! Took in 4 2-hander Quick Hands bros, and one thrower/duellist. Got through 8 or 9 Hyenas in the first round with minimal hp and armour damage, which is sort of what you need to do to get through 3 fights on the bounce. Second fight was maybe 7 very heavily geared mercenaries. Thought I was boned, but actually the sheer damage output of my guys combined with the ability to focus-fire using reach weapons killed them quickly, and their morale failed on the last few. So I had one guy half-killed and the rest slightly banged about. Final round was 5 gladiators, 2 of which were Champions. Was not confident! The thrower was key here, as again was focus-firing on them one at a time. Got a nice ~300 armour, the green famed Sellsword Armour equivalent.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is there a mod so you can mouseover contracts and see their vague details? I don't have my map memorized so in the mid game I often get contracts to go somewhere or take something somewhere so I have to save, take the contract, then check the map if it's worth keeping. It'd love to just be able to mouseover and decide which to take.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

FuzzySlippers posted:

Is there a mod so you can mouseover contracts and see their vague details? I don't have my map memorized so in the mid game I often get contracts to go somewhere or take something somewhere so I have to save, take the contract, then check the map if it's worth keeping. It'd love to just be able to mouseover and decide which to take.

That's what the "I'll need some time to think about this" option is for

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah, you can do this but you have to do a sort of preliminary "Agree" in order to get the option to think about it. Once you click think about it, you can look at the details / map and go back- the contract will have a different icon than before, and you can agree again, which is a true agree, or you can decline.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

[...] and you can agree again, which is a true agree, or you can decline.

Nahh, just leave 'em hanging if it's a bad job. If they're gonna offer a lovely job for insufficient pay, why should I give them anything other than a few vague, non-committal words before hitching a ride with the next caravan out of town? :colbert:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't think i've ever hit the decline button. In my head they get annoyed about it but I have no idea if it does anything in game.

But hey, its nice to have the job flexibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yeah, you're not negotiating the contract, you're negotiating the terms of the contract. And I know that sounds like the same thing, but it's technically not.

Or to put it another way, Battle Brothers contracts are a lot like DeAndre Jordan contracts.